1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

10 person raids?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by EvilPeppard, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

40-man raiding is going to really hurt guilds like mine that have very few people. Who is going to want to be in a guild that doesn't even have enough people to fill out a 40-man raid? They'll miss game content if they do!

I have absolutely no interest in joining a large guild with a hundred members where I don't know 90% of the guild and might really detest 20% of its members. I want the option of being in a tight-knit guild where I know everyone or at least have some sort of relationship with them; I value the quality of my friendships over the quantity. And I don't feel that the game content should be designed to leave people like me in the dust.
    Blegvad likes this.
  2. Vulgork

Vulgork Cupcake

I personally hope that there will be 10-man Dungeons/Raids. Don't care what you call them, but everything over 15 people is a bit too chaotic and most of all too impersonal to me.
    Blegvad and Witless like this.
  3. Vexed

Vexed Cupcake-About-Town

There are already games that cater to those sizes though? I have yet to see an issue with content that isn't accessible by the majority when there will already be plenty of other things to do.

Seems you're pretty much out of luck if that's how you want to play this game. Can't have the best of both worlds I'm afraid.
    BlindSear, Baamz, Risetta and 2 others like this.
  4. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Long things short: Sucks to be you. (No offense. Read on, please.)

There'll be videos on youtube etc. which show the content. I don't get the whole "People have to see the content" argument, then join one of those groups once...Or fuse with another guild just for the purpose of raiding. Also there're 20 man raids, which aren't that many people.

And notice one thing: This is the attitude of the developers. They WANT IT to be hardcore and thus for big groups. So either do or don't do those raids or do or don't play Wildstar. Choice is yours.

Aye. IMO, 10 man instances are Dungeons.

Looking back at WoW and how it had 10 man max. to alot of maxlevel dungeons, I think that's pretty cool and I'd like 10 man dungeons. That's no raid, a raid is a huge group of people of atleast 20 people from my point of perspective...

Oh well, opinions differ. I hope 10 man raids won't become a thing and 10 man dungeons are a bigger and thus harder form of dungeon, rewarding better gear.
  5. Neurotic Cucpake

Neurotic Cucpake Cupcake-About-Town

Oh good, so then WildStar won't have PVP, crafting, dungeons, or soloing content. Afterall, you "can't have the best of both worlds, I'm afraid."

When, exactly, did "hardcore" become a synonym for "big groups?"
    Baeldan, Witless, Sol and 1 other person like this.
  6. Malachi

Okay, a few things.

In reference to watching a youtube video just to see the content, why is that a suitable replacement? If you wanted to experience Final Fantasy VII for yourself, would you watch youtube videos of someone playing it, or would you play the game?

As for the "just to see the content" argument, there are plenty of games I have played through just once and consider them super fun and enjoyable. You don't need to expect a game to be fun 20 times in a row. I can say the same thing about raid fights.

Now, this:

No, that is not the logical conclusion of content being hardcore. When a person dies in a 10-person raid, the raid loses 10% of its effectiveness. When a person dies in a 40-person raid, the raid loses 2.5% of its effectiveness. Does that really sound more hardcore? Being a part of a fight where it matters even less whether you live or die? The fewer people you have, the more the challenge.

And finally, based on the whole "path" thing, I don't buy your argument that the developers are trying to make this into a hardcore game. Is it hardcore to devote a lot of your leveling to learning lore? Is it hardcore to spend your leveling time jumping on platforms by yourself and finding interesting things on the tops of hills? I'm not knocking these paths; I'm just saying that the paths pretty clearly demonstrate that the developers are trying to appeal to a wide range of players and want to make something for everyone to enjoy. Why can't they make a game that can appeal to a wide swath of people, from casual gamers to hardcore gamers?
    Baeldan likes this.
  7. Vexed

Vexed Cupcake-About-Town

I don't really like PvP so I don't play it. I don't like crafting but if it's going to help me in raiding I'll do it anyway. See where I am going with this? If you like raiding but don't like 40 mans, plain and simple - don't do them. If you enjoy raiding but don't like 40 mans but want to reap the rewards, better find a group to do them with.

Welcome to the themepark, enjoy your ride.
  8. Risetta

Risetta New Cupcake

Large raids are epic. 10 mans are all great when with friends but I do miss that epic feeling of raiding with a larger group. That being said, after raiding awhile in WoW in 10 mans I want to go back to being thrown into organized chaos, BIG BOY RAIDS! Plus, no one cares about 10 man raid videos on epic raid bosses which is another reason I can't wait for the bigger raiding content; to film it.
  9. Neurotic Cucpake

Or you could, you know, hope that they add smaller raids. It won't affect you one itty bitty tiny little bit. And it won't be any different from having PVP, crafting, dungeoning, or soloing content. You're just adding small raid and large raid to the total list.

Why is that such a problem for people like you? You've yet to explain it. All you do is try to obfuscate it by making up comments that people never made or throwing in bizarre logic out of left field.

Why are you so scared of people having smaller raids to play around in while you're off doing 40-man content?
    Witless and Malachi like this.
  10. Malachi

It's more like if I found a beer I wanted to drink, but it was $10 a bottle, I wouldn't drink it. But I would still really, really like a beer.

If you don't like 10 mans, plain and simple - don't do them.
    Sol and Neurotic Cucpake like this.
  11. Malorak

They cater to the hardcore group of players.

These WANT big raids. And stop ignoring 20 mans, they are in, they are not that big, stop saying "but 40 mans". I don't see them being talked about alot.

The developers want this game to become something. This something involves having raids in those sizes. Either deal with it, or don't.
    We can't help you with this. I'd rather prefer having 10-15 man dungeons added to normal 5 mans and heroic 5 mans, if they're not in I can't do jack<REDACTED> about it, end of story.

Another thing: If they were to add 10 mans...Please don't let them be Wotlk style where it was part of the progression to do it.

If you don't know: In Wotlk you had 10 and 25 man versions of every raid and in some newer ones even hardmodes. Let's take ICC for example - this means you'd go through the same raid but with slightly different boss fights 4 times as much as you would with a raid with only one difficulty as 10 man, 10 man HC, 25 man and 25 man HC was all different ways of approaching the boss but in the same raid.

...Meaning you'd stay in one raid for an eternity...Ugh. If there ARE 10 man raids, let them be their own raids as you'd do it with 20 and 40 man raids.
  12. Risetta

Risetta New Cupcake

Since World of Warcraft before they added 10 man.
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. Neurotic Cucpake

And, again, nobody is asking for there not to be large raids.

For Christ's sake, what's so hard to get about this?! It's not a competition! People would just like to have similar content for the smaller guilds out there.

And yes, you can do something about it: Request it, hope for it, talk about how you'd like to see it.
  14. Vexed

Vexed Cupcake-About-Town

Honest opinion, 10 mans are fine as long as they aren't the same version of the 40man/20man. Think TBC style raiding. I would do them if they were there no matter what as it's end game group content (I hesitate to use raiding) and I expect there to be some kind of super hard to get goodies that I'll end up getting my hands on. ZA bear style would be a brilliant idea for example - average group can't do it, good players all the way up to hardcores can. Removed on next content patch. Good players walk away with something rare and cool, bad players players have to suck it up and try harder next time. Plenty of rare cool stuff you can get from PvP or Crafting.

The reason MMOs are lacking nower days is due to no prestige and oh my god i'm going to say it, "snowflakiness". As you may have gathered I like feeding on tears of jelly babies. Only reason I got sucked into Wildstar was the fact 1% was thrown around a lot. More of a 0.1%er myself but ye, you get my drift.
    Genev and Malorak like this.
  15. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

I think it's because people do see it as a competition between types of content, though. The prize is a highly limited resource: time, attention, and improvements from the dev team. And everyone thinks the content they personally enjoy the most is the most important, and therefore most deserving of that time, attention and improvement, and so nobody's willing to compromise.

It's sad, but there you have it. That's why these discussions make so little sense yet continue endlessly.
    Witless, Jarinolde, Sol and 2 others like this.
  16. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

Hardcore =/= raiding, WS is focusing on end game hardcore content as far as we know not on raids
    Witless and Neurotic Cucpake like this.
  17. Malorak

As.
    I.
    Said.
    The devs want this. And to me they seem VERY decisive in their...Decisions. They said right ahead raids will be big and will be hard, they want to bring this oldschool style back. And that didn't involve 10 man raids.

I'd be fine with them. If you had read my posts, you'd know that btw. I just think they aren't likely.

They said that their kind of hardcore PVE Content will be raiding AFAIK, but there will be other hardcore content I guess.
    Vexed likes this.
  18. Vexed

Vexed Cupcake-About-Town

From what I can make out so far, crafting is going to be pretty hardcore to get the most out of it. Hopefully the kind of style that vanilla WoW was or as epic as the tier 0.5 system that was introduced. 45 min baron runs etc. keeps 5 man content challenging when adding extra criteria to meet.

PvP at the high end is hardcore. May even be some crazy quest story arcs that require big groups, that would be cool too.
    Malorak likes this.
  19. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

There would need to be a distinction made in that a 10man raid would not be considered tracked progression. I believe ZA was considered a side-raid with side-grade gear. It was my experience that progression guilds were not setting specific raid days for ZA, but rather doing that raid on off days.

If we are looking at Vanilla wow, then ZG/AQ ( 20 mans ) provided this need, and 10mans were included in the dungeons. I think it might be spreading things a bit thin to include all 3 as raids, so I think if anything in the case of WS, the 10man would fall into the dungeon area.
    Woke, Malorak and Kataryna like this.
  20. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Again, to those complaining that they don't want to join a huge guild and be lost in the crowd - Circles. That's the use that i see for Circles. You join that large raiding guild (or a guild comprised of 4-5 other 10man circles that just so happen don't wanna get lost in a crowd either but still want to raid) so you can raid. You then have your own tiny Circle of 10-15 people that you're intimately connected with. OR you and your friends make your own Guild and join a "Raiding Circle" that just raids the 40mans for fun because they all have their own small guilds that they'd rather not break up just to raid.
    Outlaw, Woke and Malorak like this.