1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

40 man raids a new thing I'm concerned about.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gunghoe, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Foxxyness1

Foxxyness1 Cupcake

You good sir, understand my child hood. +1 :)
  2. expendability

expendability Cupcake

lol.. It makes total sense see.. the 100 standby(s) have nothing to do all night but wait so off to the forums to invoke randomness!! Oh how I miss and cannot wait for those days again.. :D
  3. xerel

xerel New Cupcake

I'm of the opinion that rewarding the 'best' players is fine, but the developers shouldn't discriminate against players based on time spent(within reason). Imagine two equally skilled guilds, one raids for 15 hours per week, and the other raids for 30. Should the 30 hour guild get all the fun stuff first? Yes. Should the 15 hour guild be blocked from ever getting any of the fun stuff? No. It should just take them longer to get there. Does that mean guilds that raid 4 hours a week should also get the same rewards? Probably not, not for a long time after the others anyway.
  4. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

It's called a ranked system for a reason.
  5. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

You are traveling with a group of friends and had to use 2 cars to acomodate everyone.

You drive 5hours every day, your friends drives for 7 hours every day obviously at the same avg speed, lets use time as a time sink comparsion and speed as skill.

who gets there first? it's basic logic. people should be rewarded for their efforts, if they arent why the hell would they raid more than the other guilds? they woudnt.

it's the same thing, unless the people raiding for 15hours everyday manage to down bosses quickly then the competition they will not get there at the same pace as the guys who raid 30hours.

since you said they were of equal skill it is very unlikely to happen. if they are more skilled then they can get there first in less time.
  6. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Can't handle it? I did it for years.
    That is why I know it is flawed to the core.

You can pretend loot drama doesn't exist, but that doesn't make it true.
    If you didn't experience it, then you sir had a very unique experience.

The strategy in doling out loot is very small, especially considering the loot that drops is random anyways.
    If players distributing out loot had some kind of advantage, then I could maybe understand you point, but there just isn't one. It just feels like we are clinging to old ideals based on mere nostalgia.
  7. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

<WHATEVER WERE AWESOME>
    Magtheridon
  8. xerel

xerel New Cupcake

Yes, it's obvious who will get there first, my point was that the developers shouldn't only reward those who get there first, which was what the OP of this thread was concerned with.

The motivation and reward should be the satisfaction/pride/challenge of getting there first, not some exclusive in game item. WoW has never needed special incentives to get guilds to compete for firsts, why would Wildstar need them?
  9. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

But they have been doing time-sensitive rewards since Wrath. Black/Plagued protodrakes for Naxx achievement runs pre-Ulduar, titles for server firsts, the current "ahead of the curve" feats of strength. Even the Scarab Lords & matching moutns for firsts in classic.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  10. xerel

xerel New Cupcake

The Naxx mounts weren't limited to just whoever got them first, they were available to any guild capable of meeting the criteria before the next content came out.

The titles were trivial to get on low-pop servers and nearly impossible on high-pop servers, blizzard recognized this and replaced them with the current FoS, a good change.

Scarab Lords were an experiment they chose not to repeat, for obvious reasons.

To be clear, my issue isn't with rewards available only to organized/skilled raiders. My issue is with rewards only available for the top 1% of the top 1%. If my guild is capable of clearing the hardest content while it's still relevant the only thing I should miss out on is the satisfaction of having done it first(and the benefits of a longer farm period).
    Xevius likes this.
  11. Xevius

Xevius Cupcake

Two thumbs up. +1
  12. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

There's drama, drama generally caused by people who will make drama regardless of what system is used as they are know to be loot whores.

Random systems are not a functioning mechanic for organized guilds.
    Because, Your most loyal members can be shafted for a long time. The same people could be getting gear week in week out weakening your raids setup and it could gear up your newest members the most.

It will simply generate more drama, not to mention the itemization on raid loot is partially random so also a random awarding effect will simply make that itemization very flawed as you cannot trade it among member thus cannot control it.

Also teh amount of loot doesn't increase in such a system as that has to stay the same for progression reasons, so your proposed system is worse for any organized guild.

Also good luck trying to keep a 40 man raid together with a corrupt loot council, what is very obvious when loot lists are maintained.
  13. Scottie

Scottie New Cupcake

Remember Kerefyn in EQ2? The dragon that supposedly couldn't be killed? And what happened? A guild figured out how to kill it.

THAT'S the kind of stuff that should be dishing out supreme loot. The boss that cannot be killed.... but yet an ingenious guild figures out how to kill it. If that kind of boss was downed, I'd be awe inspired that they figured out how to kill it, not pissed that they got good loot.