1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

$60 for the first month?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Reinou, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Reinou

Reinou New Cupcake

Why?

Having to pay so much for just one month, and then having to pay a subscription, which I'm really not a fan of, just doesn't make any sense to me.

The CREDD system is more than enough to not make me whine about subs, but why do we have to buy the game at such a high price as well, for just the first month?

Are we going to be getting anything else from the $60 It's actually really putting me off from buying the game.

The main thing right now that will make me buy the game is if a ton of my friends get it as well, but most of them are even cheaper than me, and really dislike subs.

How are they justifying the $60 price?
  2. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I don't know where you're pulling $60 from as there's been no announcement but if it is that price than isn't that pretty standard? I'd chuck $60 (£40) down the fruit machine on any given Saturday, so to get access to the game and a months sub at that price is fine by me.
  3. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

The game itself sells for that, like most any game. The game comes with first month free. You could probably switch that up to mean close to what you are saying, but essentially you are paying for the game. Exactly the same as WoW minus the ability to use CREDD for possible subscription.
    Kataryna likes this.
  4. Reinou

Reinou New Cupcake

I've honestly never played WoW, aside from a free trial years ago. I was honestly not impressed.

I get that games are usually $60, but why is Wildstar, for just one month, on top of subscriptions? How exactly is this justified?

I'm fine with the subs since I'll be able to get a free 30 days now and then, but I just don't get the $60 price tag for the first month. I'd understand if you would get much more than just 30 days, but we don't.
  5. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

Well there is no explanation besides it, you pay $60 dollars for call of duty and however much for xbox live or ps-plus. If the value isn't worth it to you, then it isn't. You buy the game, $60 for all the data that makes the game work on your machine, you pay subscription to receive continued updates and content, access their servers, and that is about all there is to it. You have to decide if you find the value to be worth it.
  6. Reinou

Reinou New Cupcake

With that same subscription I can not only play more than one game online, I also get free games and discounts.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those subscriptions you need for consoles cheaper overall as well?
  7. Latt

Latt New Cupcake

Here is one justification. People like me are willing to pay $60 to buy the game even with a sub fee. Heck, I'll throw in another. The game takes a lots of money to make and box sales are a fast way to get a good chunk of it back at launch.

If you don't want to pay $60 for the game, be patient and wait a few months. The game will probably go down to $15-$20 by then. There is your trade-off.
  8. Sariell

Sariell New Cupcake

There are only a handful of MMO games that are free and cost nothing to play. Most of those lack the caliber and polish of any sub mmo. You are buying the game, and paying back the salaries of all those that put in their live's work into this. Plus with whatever the cost is just buying the game will give you the opportunity to play forever, for just the sub fee.

If you still think that is too much for you, then I think you are either greatly misinformed about computer games or you need to find your entertainment elsewhere.
    Jinzouningen likes this.
  9. Reinou

Reinou New Cupcake

There are actually a large amount of MMO games that are free. Yes, they don't have as much polish as a sub game, but this game also requires to be bought.

I'm pretty sure they will make a great amount of money even if they didn't require you to buy the game before having to pay for subs as well.

I'm not actually opposed to them wanting us to buy the game as well, but I'm just wondering why it has to be $60, and why aren't we getting more out of it instead of just one month.
  10. Hexamus

Hexamus New Cupcake

I don't quite understand... Why would you pay $60? I mean... Games are usually $60 and every MMO I've played always gave a free month to start. You're paying for the game. Why would it be any other way?
    Jinzouningen and zekkdarklighter like this.
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

You're really paying $45 for the game and $15 for that first month of play - so it's CHEAPER than a normal game, right???

Really -
    It's standard price to pay for a game AND you get 30 days free AND you get 3 one week passes to give to friends to try the game out (and if you pre-order you might get some cool in-game stuff and if you pay a little extra and get whatever type of Deluxe/Collector's Edition you'll get even MORE cool stuff and in-game stuff)! Go look at ESO prices and you'll be paying the same price for that. Look at the prices of every WoW expansion when they came out - you were paying the same price, and it was only an XPac!
    Ianpact, JackyVee, BStrait57 and 2 others like this.
  12. Reinou

Reinou New Cupcake

Oh, I didn't realize we got those 3 passes for friends.

You're right, I should think of the game as $45 instead. It actually helps to not get put off by the price tag, haha.

I actually have pretty much only played F2P games on PC because subs have always put me off. But this game looks amazing so far which is why I'm willing to look past that.

I'll probably end up getting the game now.

We probably won't be able to do this but... Do you think we will be able to use the week passes for ourselves? Would be neat if you could, haha.
  13. Falkirk

Falkirk New Cupcake

If you don't want to pay $60 wait 3 months, like all games console PC etc, to come down in price. You want access day 1 pay $60. Game offers a lot of content and is worth the initial purchase in my opinion, but each to their own.
  14. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Simply put, because they are expensive to make and maintain. If you would like specifics feel free to ask.
    Dirty Outlaw likes this.
  15. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

the initial price that you pay for the box is for the 150+ hours of leveling content reportedly in the game, plus the ??? hours of elder game reportedly in the game, along with all of the systems such as auction houses and housing that are in the game.

the first month of subscription is free.

your subscription pays for servers, as well as additional content that will be released as the game progresses.

if this is too expensive for you, there are plenty of inferior games with inferior content for you to play.
  16. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Developers and artist need to eat also. :)
  17. Vivikain

Vivikain New Cupcake

Yeah, this. The games are constantly updated and patched (hopefully). Much more than any non-MMO. Lots of people=lots of servers, costs to maintain, fixing stuff, etc. They're charging a fee that will help them maintain/update everything and make a profit.

If you're talking cost, you should compare how much playtime you get out of MMOs vs. a F2P or non-MMO. Some people get 100s of hours a month in an MMO. A typical RPG will give you, what, 40-50 for $40+. An MMO that is (once again, hopefully) patched/updated each month will equalize or make you in favor of the cost/time spent ratio. Which means eventually, you'll be paying $15 a month for a game that offers much more than any standard RPG. Once again, HOPEFULLY. :p Depends what you like, really...
  18. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Cupcake

It costs 60 bucks because hundreds of artist, programmers, musicians, voice actors, marketing personnel, so on and so on have been working for years on this project, and the publisher , who is bank rolling it all, and sending people all over the world to promote the game, would like to make some money back and then "gasp" perhaps a return on the millions they have invested in trying to entertain you. So get over it or don't participate in the game.
    Zavier likes this.
  19. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

lol seriously you just want to make a case that wildstar should be free like every f2p mmo amirite?
  20. MacHaggis

MacHaggis Cupcake

If this is about convincing friends: Each copy of Wildstar comes with 2 guestpasses that you can give to them so they can try the game.
    frzn likes this.