1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

$60 for the first month?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Reinou, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Cant believe the state of things.. Looks like majority of the people here are new to the genre....
  2. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Is hat a bad thing?
  3. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

No, hats are great for avoiding skin cancer.
  4. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Only if you are bald really, though even that depends on the type of hat.
  5. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

What about a chain mail coif and a plate helmet?
  6. Livnthedream

Plate helm, sure, chainmail, only if padded.
  7. Sharuko

Sharuko New Cupcake

Because they are expensive to develop and have a lot of upfront costs (CS, Servers) etc. Buying the box and paying the subs, negates a lot of the upfront costs and risk for the developer.
  8. zekkdarklighter

zekkdarklighter Cupcake

Also depends on how tight the chainmail weave, and whether it is rivited or not... really good chainmail could be tight enough with large enough flat surfaces to be effective at blocking rays...
  9. Yazra

Yazra Cupcake

Im not gonna bother reading all this and just say this OP you need to understand that programmers spend 1,000s of hours working on this stuff... 60$ is nothing 60$ pays for the game the 15 $ a month pays for maintenance, updates, new content, GMs, etc.

SURE they could decide not to charge a dime for the box but why? justify one reason thy should not.. why should they justify that they do other then the sole fact of " because I can " when in actuality its more then that but thats all you want to hear. In actuality its " Because i need to feed my kids and if we don't pay off our publisher in a expedient manner it will diminish if not completely stop development and turn the game into what you know to be a free to play games ( pay to win cash shop games )

Soooooo you can take it or leave it theres really no argument to be had here. If you like free go play star wars they are free... kinda. Or go play ESO, oh wait.

Hmm i know, go play fiesta online I'm sure you will love that game if you can ever get to a high enough level to see anyone since its pretty much dead from the cash shop and lack of GMs / updates.

It's kinda selfish to ask for a game for free. Its a product you buy it. If it is not worth its value then it will either change or cease to exist... thats how the capitalism works. No one is force feeding you this.
  10. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

You people know a lot of things, next you'll be telling me groin plates were a thing in medieval history because nobody likes a steel sabaton to the nads.
  11. Vail

Vail New Cupcake

Aren't most video games around $60 dollars now a days?
  12. Livnthedream

Yeah, funnily enough its equal to the $50 price point adjusted for inflation. Its also still many times cheaper than the cartridges we used to buy in wee old elden times.
  13. Haellion

Haellion New Cupcake

My biggest gripe is that once you shell out the $60 for the game, you don't have access to it unless you pay the sub fee after the first month. If I don't like the game during that time, then I've effectively spent $60 on a game I can't play without paying more. On that note, it discourages me from attempting to try it again sometime in the future since its gated by a $15 entry ticket. So at this point my buying Wildstar will depend on whether or not they offer some sort of free trial system.
  14. gabers1

gabers1 Cupcake-About-Town

I often watch trailers for movies and read reviews prior to buying a theater ticket or purchasing or renting a video which is the same reason I have been viewing comments from people that are currently in beta and watching live stream, Dev speak, and other videos. While I cannot get a feel for actual mouse/keyboard play, I can certainly get a feel for many other aspects of this game.

If Carbine offers an open beta, perhaps this might be an option for you?
  15. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

If it's simply that you want to see what you're buying, I'm sure they'll have this in the form of open beta/trial.

As for price of things, others have mentioned it. Games need time and effort to develop, people at Carbine needs to feed. If $60 is a big deal to you, then you're very right to be cautious about it to make sure that you're getting the equivalent or more amount of fun out of these $60 as you'd otherwise get with the same $60 from other sources. But there's no questioning the $60 itself, companies don't just throw a number out there, there's market analysis and cost balance, they need a whole department working hours and hours to determine this figure. This is the figure that can pay Carbine's staff for their equivalent effort.

For me personally, $60 is an hour of my salary. 2 hours after tax. I've spent like what, 100 hours on this forum alone ANTICIPATING this game, it doesn't make sense at all for me to not buy it. You've also been wondering about this game on the forum for at least several hours already, think about it --- you're already paying for it before it's even out. Time on the forum is time not working. Time not working = money not made.

Anything you do will cost you money if you think of it that way, so don't bury yourself too deep in the details like why $60 but not $50 --- the time that you're wondering about that, you could've worked and gotten the $10. Or you could save a quarter a day and by the time the game is out you'd have more than enough money.
  16. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

One sure way to get away without paying that $60 is to stalk a member of this forum, wait until they bring their copy home, jump out of shadows, grab product, and run like the dickens.
  17. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Shhhhh... Don't give the secret away!
  18. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

There would be nowhere they could run, nowhere they could hide, nowhere would be safe from my vengeance. They would have my game, but I would have their peaceful nights sleep, their calm evenings, their happy social lives...sanity will be lost as the endless mental torture would break apart the rational mind of those who have wronged me. All that would be left is a husk of despair and paranoia. Finally when their lives are forfeit beyond repair, I would send them to the place where all thieves and liars go... New Jersey..:devilish:

So in short..steal someone else's game. :inlove:
  19. jetah

jetah Cupcake

I don't know to many MMO's that didn't have a box cost + sub. I do know I can cut some grass closer to Summer time to get 60$ for a game. As for the 15$ again to restart the game once you decide to drop the sub. Yeah but ti's cheaper than someone starting it paying 60$ which you've already paid for.

Watch Twitch.tv for Wildstar streams. This can give you an idea if you're interested in paying for an MMO or not. Also remember the monthly cost is much cheaper than any other entertainment out there.
  20. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

It's just the generally accepted market price for a game and sub. We can thank WoW for that. So since a lot of people (me included) have no problem paying $60 for the game and first month included (not free, but included in the price), then there is no reason for them to change that.

Now, if they came out and the game price was $100 for the game + first month... Then we would have a problem... That would deviate too much from the "accepted" price range, so you would get a lot of people picking up the pitchfork and torches.

But $60? $60 is fine... If the game is good... If the game bombs... Then the pitchforks and torches will get some use I guess...