1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

65% of players tend to play solo

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

As quoted recently on the Nexus Weekly podcast.

My question to those who do prefer to solo, why are we turned off from group play?

Is it the time it takes to find a group?
    Do you feel more efficient alone as opposed to teaming up with someone?
    Would you be more inclined to group if you actually knew the people?

Speaking for myself, I tend to solo in games because of several reasons. One of the biggest reasons is that I dont like grouping with people I dont know. I've had way too many bad experiences with grouping with strangers and the time it takes to find a group to do group content to get burned by someone most of the time isnt worth it to me.

However, I love grouping with people that I do know. If I have a RL friend to game with, we're almost always grouped together unless our stage of progression is conflicting with one another. Its more of a trust thing, and when a game expects you to put your trust into a total stranger, many of us just refuse to participate.

Another reason is the time I have available. Being married with a toddler isnt very conducive to group activities. At times, I just dont want to get a group involved in case I have to abruptly leave because the baby needs something, or its time to go out with the family. Granted, theres nothing about the games mechanics that can change this, but it is a factor that I know many of us face.

so, even though 65% is a large number and makes MMO players seem very anti-social, there are some very good reasons why we may appear that way.
  2. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

If fun can be measured in numbers, then I have twice as much fun while I play in a group, regardless of productivity. 65% seemed like an unreal number, because most of my friends like to play in groups as well, and as a normal person with no access to statistical charts, I can only measure with what I have, and that's the people I know.
  3. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

The 65% number is a quote from a dev interview. I'm very interested to hear what exactly that 65% consists of in terms of their play styles. I mainly level by myself (due in large part because of how fast I do it), but my preferred mode of play is with other people.

Does this 65% of people refer only to those who level, or simply those who are NEVER grouped or prefer not to group? I'm not exactly sure... sounds like a great question for ARKSHIP.
    Rizzalliss, Yakzan, starspun and 2 others like this.
  4. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Prolly the vast majority of those gamers picked the wrong game
  5. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

The numbers quoted seemed normal to me. Most guys are out questing and grinding alone. Communities are so outright awful in most MMOs now that I can't see that trend changing.

Personally I spend most of my time solo in both PvE and PvP, and only group up for difficult instanced content. MMOs are social experiences, even when you're doing something solo. No different that being in a group or out of group, you're still operating in the same market.

Some people take the word 'solo' and take it to mean a player that lives on his own little island.
    Izukar, Jon, Darkspur and 3 others like this.
  6. VooDoo

thanks for clarifying the quote. Agreed, it does beg further explanation
  7. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

Fear, and a (self-imposed) rigid timetable.
  8. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

I have no problem grouping when it comes to harder content, although I certainly prefer guild (and therefore people I know a little about) compared to pugs. The simple fact is I have no problem helping people if they need help, I've helped random people quite a bit, what annoys me is when they become a hinderence or counter productive to what I'm trying to do.
  9. MNovasun

MNovasun New Cupcake

This idea is flawed on so many levels.

Many "solo" players enjoy mmos for the continued addition of new content and its social aspect. And things have changed since the first mmos were released. They now have a wider audience and people like myself who enjoyed the genre when it first started now have families and other demands on our time. I enjoy the social aspect of the game but I don't always have the time to devote to grouping, and I hate leaving a group of people hanging because I have to check on the kids or take care of something around the house.

You don't have to be grouped to enjoy the social aspects of mmo's, just ask any rp'er.
  10. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

My favorite way to play is in small groups. I actually enjoy questing with others while leveling up, but in my experience, a lot of people don't do that so much anymore. I tend to shy away from dungeons (and I definitely won't/can't raid now), because I have a 2 year old. I only play in the evenings when he is asleep, but he's not the best sleeper, and it's often I have to leave at a moment's notice because he woke up. So I don't feel comfortable potentially abandoning a group mid-run. It's not because I don't want to group. Even when solo, I prefer MMOs vs single player games, because I just really like having other people out in the world around me.
    Kookieduck, Witless and Zerdav like this.
  11. VooDoo

ya those are some really good points too.

I've also found that I dont like completing games, like any single player game. ive been known to get right to the end of a game, put it down and never complete it. Im not sure what the psychology of that is, but in an MMO I never "complete" it and I keep playing it. Maybe because I dont like something I've put significant time into to be finalized?
    Ingsoc likes this.
  12. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

1. Yes, if none of my friends are online, then it is about the time to find a group, and how to find a group. For some content, it is just not worth the bother with the lfg tools currently implemented in games I play.

2. Depends, if it is dungeons, where it is pretty much the same run every time, it is ok with strangers. Anything so predicatable in how, where and when, while knowing the group is more fun, it is not a requirement to complete the objective and have some fun doing it, if the pug group turn out social.

However questing and doing content out in the world, where how, where and when is not 99% set, is more fun with friends, because you know each others hangups. One have a tendency to stray off to pick a flower, another suddenly vanish to check out something or take a screenshot, a third is single minded focussed on completing quest objectives and the fourth can't jump worth a damn and require obstacle help. The fifth is me, the anal retentive control freak keeping an eye on everyone, checking if everyone got the quest update, so we do not have to go back, giving the obstacle help, telling the tunnelvisioned to sit tight and take time to smell the flowers, because it is screenshot time and checking the ranges for something to gather myself, while we wait for the flower picker.

3. Yes, I do. I duo and trio dailies and levelling frequently with my mother and a friend. Noone else I know seems interested atm. So I also solo a lot, or completely discard playing and go read this forum instead. Even if not grouping, we - and others in guild - chat on VoIP.
    Ingsoc likes this.
  13. Riepah

Riepah Cupcake

I like grouping with people I already know as well, and I don't mind occasionally grouping up when I meet someone who seems to be a nice person. However, most of the time I prefer to run around on my own, being able to speed through content or take as much time as I please depending on how I feel at the time, without making someone wait for me, nor having to wait for someone else.

Many people think that group content, especially raids, require "skill" or "good players", but in reality, what most have come to expect from raids is following orders. Having a plan to follow, and failing when you or someone else fails to do what they were told. Maybe raids in Wildstar will be a bit more interesting, I'll surely give them a try - but if it's all about voicechat and following orders or copying what other people did before you, I'll stick to full time solo.
  14. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

Sewicked: "Every time I think about picking up a game controller and playing an online game; interactions like this convince me not to do it. I can play at home, enjoy a game, and not get harassed. Or I can play online and suffer trolls. Guess which one I'll choose."

Eva Marie Hater: "Yes, I've always felt the same way, which is why pretty much all I play are RPGs. The IDEA of online gaming has always really appealed to me; however, when I get home from work and need to unwind, I want to have a good time, not deal with trolls."

Ok Cyborg: "so true. im a female player and love the online multiplayer of rdr but even though i found a bunch of great guys to play with there are still too many misogynist (and sexist and homophobic and racist...) <REDACTED>s out there whose comments just wear you out after a while. i dont use my mic that often anymore (not at all when i play without friends anyway), i often chose a male character over a female one although i prefer playing as my own sex, and i always use a neutral nickname to avoid "tits or gtfo"-messages."

Riviera: "Yeah, this is part of the reason I tend to stay away from MMOs. If it's not blatant harassment, usually it's people giving you all kinds of things and falling all over themselves."

These are only four comments from one article that has dozens of more messages saying the same thing. Because of online anonymity, people feel they can be outright jerks. Some people don't have or don't want to have to build the thick skin the gaming community requires. I've made a choice to be someone who can handle it, but I can see, very easily, why these people want nothing to do with MMOs or think the community's in MMOs is terrible.
    Yakzan, starspun, Rotto and 5 others like this.
  15. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

I'm one of those players who loves to raid with other people a few nights a week, but generally I prefer to spend time playing/questing alone or with my wife.

I'm not really anti-social, I just prefer my contact with other people to come in small doses and on my own terms. During the week, especially, we're busy people and we tend to go afk a lot. We're weekend raiders, for sure.

Sorry man, gotta disagree and I think that's a very outdated attitude. It may have been true in the past, during the "dawning" of MMO's in games like EQ or UO, but modern MMO's accept that most people play alone or in small groups.

Like someone before me said, most of us do it for the continued release of content. I play a few single player RPG's as well (huge fan of the Mass Effect trilogy), but even with DLC's those games eventually come to some sort of conclusion and end. It's the persistent aspect of MMO's that draws us in.

I really appreciate that Carbine recognizes this.
    Izukar, Jon, starspun and 5 others like this.
  16. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I hate soloing! I play MMOs to network with people. Playing with friends make the game last a long time, and make it more enjoyable for me.
  17. VooDoo

ya, it can be pretty brutal. it really is a shame to see people behave this way to fellow gamers who share the same passions as they do. Id be willing to bet most people who fall into the "jerk" category are the ones complaining that so many people solo
    MNovasun and Ayr like this.
  18. Michael Thysson

Michael Thysson New Cupcake

Personally I prefer to do PUGs or solo the content, because I can't devote a lot of time into a game anymore, or I might have to go out on a whim, and I wouldn't want to keep people stranded. I only group up for a PUG if I know I have enough time to stick with them. I'll join a casual guild, who don't set out to achieve things other than socialize from time to time due to schedule-constrains, and odd working hours.

That's not to say I don't love the random interactions with strangers :)
  19. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

If I didn't want to be with and interact with other people, I wouldn't play an MMO, plain and simple. There is nothing an MMO offers better over an RPG or other category if I want to play alone. In fact, offline games can do a much better job since they don't have to worry about thousands of other players on at the same time.

Just my opinion.
    Nemeses and Norlamin like this.
  20. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Me too, I have no problem handling it, but it does make me sad to see how much we loose as a community, just because "it's the internet". So while I can handle it with no problem myself, and use the tools ingame to ignore idiots - I do speak up for a change, when the topic is up.

"IT'S THE INTERNET" is just not an excuse anymore for behaving like a misogynist, homophobic, racistic excuse of a whelp with no upbringing.
    Rizzalliss, Saza, starspun and 5 others like this.