1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

65% of players tend to play solo

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. ArsenicSpritzer

ArsenicSpritzer New Cupcake

I don't believe that at all, but if you have information to back that up, I'd be willing to listen.

I myself am a hardcore player -- at least, that's what I consider myself based on the amount of time I spend gaming. I don't have kids that need my constant attention or a house that catches fire with great frequency. I have all the time in the world and I spend it in games. Hard. Core.

That being said, I'm also mainly a soloer. I'm not anti-social and I'm not afraid of crossing paths with trolls. It's just that most of the time, I prefer the freedom of being on my own, able to do what I want, when I want, without ever having to worry about my current goals being at cross paths with someone else's goals, who I'm happened to be grouped with.

When I game, I like to chase the butterflies. It's that simple. I do things on the spur of the moment, with little planning and little forethought. I'll grind against mobs, just because they are there, then within seconds I'm running pell-mell towards some interesting bit of landscape to grab a screenshot. A minute later I'll be crafting. It's chaos really and NOT conducive to grouping up.

I should also say that I LIKE grouping. But I like grouping for GROUP content, not because I need companionship. I spend about 10% of my online time in groups and almost never regret it. But that's because when I get together with friends to maybe run a dungeon or take on a boss somewhere, I know that for that short while, my goals are running parallel to my group. We're all there for the same purpose, therefore I never feel that I'm being held back from finding my bliss, by a committee. That's when I like to group -- when there's a solid objective and we're all working towards it. And after, I want to go back to my usual rou... BUTTERFLY!! ..........
    Eternus, Kookieduck and Jon like this.
  2. Kookieduck

Kookieduck Cupcake

I don't know any offline games similar to this and the big game we won't mention : ). I love to solo and play pugs because I like just randomly exploring the game. Not like roll the dice and advance 3 spaces and now it's someone else's turn. People are nice to bump in to and talk with sometimes but solo playing is sooo fun. No rules!
  3. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

I think if they made the game more group orientated, IE, needed a group to do say 70% of the content, people then will join the groups, and find they enjoy the game more.

Its a bit like a new member joining the guild, first few days they quiet, don't come on voip and just chat on guild chat in game, eventually you get them to join mumble and soon you hear how much more they enjoying the game/guild experience.

MMO are made to be played in a group, single player mode is not the way to go, people mistakenly look to wow and say see they did it and it works, yes it may work for them, but this is years after they established a huge player base, and then it was maybe the right direction for them.
    Make your MMO a single player game, & people tend to play it with a single players mindset one month and they gone!!

..well my 2 cents worth ..but hey what do I know :p ..I'm just one of those players!

Covers it very well.
    Alverad likes this.
  4. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with you, but the big issue is to make the game so people want to group up and do group content.
    If the game force you to group in order to complete different objectives, people might feel hindered to play what they enjoy. Giving them too much option to do without the group they tend to not take that leap of faith.
  5. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Problem is they cant be half assed about it, they need to make a decision, will this game be massively single player oriented or group, and which ever way they go they must stick to it.

Nothing worse than going forward with no conviction, and I truly believe the game will do better with a biased toward group play as opposed to single play.
  6. Shavark

Shavark New Cupcake

65%? Thats a pretty bold statement dude.

It's an MMO. People tend to play it for the sear factor of playing with others. If not one other person, A few. Or a large group.

So far wildstar has the Elder games. Of Course they want to cater to all players. Such as Solo players, Small groups (1-5) and Large groups (10-40). With Challenges, The world quests (available at 60) PvP, Dungeons and raids.

I see your concern, But its an MMO. It game will be 100% more enjoyable with each extra person you choose to play with!
    Alverad likes this.
  7. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

I, like many others, have doubts in believing that statistic. I have doubts as to the exact question asked, and if there was any bias in the sample. However, I will drop that as I have no evidence, and instead comment on why I feel there is a large group that plays solo.

I agree that this is likely why many play solo, however, there is actually a second choice. Play well!

I think this is the real issue.
    I usually get nothing but praise when I play in groups (even pugs), but I am a fairly good player. The people who are constantly harassed are almost always going to be bad players. The fact they tend to avoid groups due to bad experiences only makes things worse. That means they aren't likely to take criticism, read forums for guides, or do anything to improve at the game at all. Thus their next experience in group play is likely not to be favorable either.

In other words, in a way they are sort of asking for it. Its like dropping out of High school, working a minimum wage job, and then complaining because your boss is an ass. You are completely unskilled labor, so he doesn't need to be nice to you. Heck, in fact, places like Wal-mart who mainly only hire people at near minimum wage want their employees to quit or be fired, as it saves them a lot of money.

I have caught some flak over the years as well though.
    I just don't let it get to me, because I know the truth.
  8. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

A lot of people play solo for a lot of reasons. It's hard to catagorize why assorted people prefer it, as I believer there are many different reasons. I personally don't solo much, but I duo with my wife most of the time. Online games are great for us because we can play them together. Most RPG's are one player only.

Why don't I solo:
    1) A bit shy about meeting new people.
    2) Prone to tangents and non-efficient leveling, which often irritates other groupmates.
    3) Kids and Family: I have lurking in the back of my mind the knowledge that one of my kids may need help with their homework, or some other interaction, at any time. Thus I must be able to stand up and walk away for anywhere from 5 minutes to the rest of the evening at the drop of a hat. If I hear my 9 year old screaming in that "I'm badly hurt" way from the other end of the house I'm not even going to type AFK, just leaving.
    4) A big one, which I admit isn't going to effect many. I'm actually legally blind, though I can more or less see well enough to play MMO's. I have extreme tunnel vision, which means if I'm watching watching my character, I can't see chat or any of the other characters health bars. I can pretty much see one aspect of the screen at at ime. Either the middle, my action buttons, the chat, or any one GUI function, but only one at a time. It makes it tough to group, as I can't tell what people are saying and I miss key chat. I don't do instances without my wife, so she can tell keep me informed about what's going on. This is less of a problem with voice chat, but your not going to find many pickup groups using voice chat.

I realize my big reason isn't going to be really common, it's pretty out there for reasons, but I'm just trying to get out the point that you can't assume you understand everybody. I personally don't think forcing more content to require groups will encourage grouping. I think it will encourage people to leave. People solo because for one reason or another that's their preferred playstyle. Play the way you want to and all that. A shy person who solos because they're uncomfortable talking to new people, probably will just clam up or leave rather then be forced to socialize against their will.

Just my two bits, happy gaming all.
  9. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

It's not so much that most people are turned off from it. It's a matter of convenience. You don't have to worry about anyone else's schedules. You don't have to sit around and wait when they need to use the restroom, eat, or otherwise let real life get in the way of gaming. You don't have to share any loot that drops. And, for quite a few people, there's no one around to see you do all the embarrassing things you sometimes do like die to a boar in Elwynn Forest when you get distracted by something on the television.
    Neurotic Cucpake and Warslyfe like this.
  10. Vanor

Vanor Cupcake

No that's not even remotely true. Even if the 65% isn't completely accurate, there's still a large % of players who play and either never group up or do so only rarely.

Every MMO message board out there is proof enough of this, there's constant questions about how best to build a solo character, or people posting about how the best gear is locked in raids, ect...

I have no doubt that 65% of the people playing MMO's spend the majority of their time solo. They may and likely do group up from time to time, but most of their time playing is done solo.

No, this isn't even close to being true. This is so wrong that it amazes me anyone would make such a comment. Grouping up may or may not improve your enjoyment, but the odds are that the more people you add the more likely you are to find one who is not fun to play with.

Sooner or latter you will find someone you don't like playing with and your fun value will drop to nothing. So your statement is simply beyond wrong and well into the realm of asinine, adding more people doesn't provide 100% more enjoyment, in fact the only thing that is 100% likely to happen is that if you add enough you will find yourself in a situation you don't like and your fun ruined.
    Bainik and Rumze like this.
  11. Warslyfe

Warslyfe Cupcake

This pretty much sums it up for me.
    Though if you do these things and are entertaining then I have no problem, but if the only time you say anything is to say you need to go afk AGAIN, then I'll usually try and get another person like them to join the group and then exit stage left...
    Grim Fandango likes this.
  12. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Looking at my gameplay behaviors in rift as well as in general, I think the answer to why I often solo is this. I like the freedom of being able to do what I want, when I want. Grouping toward a common goal is very fun and fulfilling, and I enjoy running dungeons, and depending on the game, sometimes raid even.
    But often times I will work during the day, then take a break for a while, and just enjoy doing a random achievement hunt, exploring, farming, tending to my home dimension in rift, fishing, or just questing a bit. And often i think I dont want to bother a friend to join me, because i would really just either be yanking them around an awful lot, or wouldnt get to do what i really want. That sounds egoistical at first, but i dont mind helping people really, but when i want to play by myself, i do so for reasons
  13. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

I usually duo with my wife, but I've always been a little averse to partying with random strangers in recent years. If I'm not actually playing with my wife I'm usually doing stuff solo. Sometimes it's just to see if I can even accomplish a specific task like soloing heroic 2+ or heroic 4 quests on SWTOR while I played. Other times it's just because I come and go a lot from my keyboard. I get annoyed when I'm in the middle of doing something and whoever I'm with has to go afk for 15 minutes and I'm just sitting there waiting. However, since I come and go from the keyboard as well I hate to be the one inconveniencing the other people I happen to play with. So generally during the levelling process, I leave grouping out until I reach a section where I "have" to in order to accomplish it. I have no problem helping out guildmates or friends, or even the random passerby if they ask though.
  14. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

In City of Heroes, 95% of my time was spent playing with a group.

In The Old Republic, 95% of my time was by myself.

The Secret World was somewhere in the middle. I don't know how to really count Guild Wars 2 with their dynamic events, but it was more of a wander around solo until I found a dynamic event with a lot of people.

I did try World of Warcraft a really long time ago, but I just really, really, really didn't like it. So no thoughts on that.

So far me a lot of it was how the game was made. City of Heroes really encouraged teaming. While with the Old Republic, pretty much everything could be soloed especially with the help of my companion which made things really easy right through to the level cap. I really had no reason to actively seek a team. There were 'heroic' areas, but there was nothing about them I had to complete. I could easily skip them. So I soloed myself, didn't really meet anyone or make any new friends. After a couple of months I became bored and closed my subscription.

Champions online is fairly easy to team in certain alerts even though the game itself is rather small on content. I still stayed because I made friends and met people. Much of it through teaming. So my account there is still active months and months later.

The Secret World, well. It was unstable to play for me, but I did make friends and the layout of the game had a significant portion of it devoted to teaming. That let me meet people and make friends. If the game's client was a little more stable for me I would probably still be there.

The whole 65% of people who play solo I guess could mean that "65% of people solo at some point", but for me if I only solo after a month or so I have no reason to really stay with the game. So I close my account. I still like wandering around by myself, but I also want to stay with a group just as much. If I have no reason to group I'm not going to stay with the game very long.

When I do team with a random stranger that turns out to be someone that I really don't like I usually add them to a list of people to avoid in the future and make sure never to be around them. There were many times in City of Heroes that I would join a random team, then leave if one of the very few people I avoided was on the same team.
  15. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

because i dont want people to whine at me because im taking my time to check my new gear/talents/quests
    SammyPo likes this.
  16. Zilvis78

Zilvis78 New Cupcake

I know many will have similar or opposing views on this. My personal stance is yes MMO's have lots and lots of solo players, some this or that reason. I am very guilty of this in alot of instances over the years. I sometimes play at early mornings/late nights and with few guildies on or social ineptness that is getting better I never would say "Anyone wanna run something?" Now as for Wildstar,I am not speaking for anyone but myself but i'm 100% into trying to be social in a social oriented game this time. All my twitterings, chats,community rooms, forums im randomly in im trying to bring social awareness as I can. I say lower that percentage,everyone make a conscious effort to say "Hey anyone wanna go quest" or "Does anyone need this dungeon?" Do it,it's not hard, and who knows in a years time maybe knock it down to 50% or lower! We're all in this to be the best community we can be so maybe doing one more thing,just something little like grouping more often adds to that community aspect?
  17. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

i like to solo because i want to enjoy the game at my pace, that's all, i want to read what ever interests me, and gaze at what ever catches my eye, on a group people just tend to rush as fast as they can.

Also at the same time i dont want to wait while someone takes a huge ammount of time reading the lore =p.

i also love grouping with people, but only when there is a challenge to be met, something that requires organization and cordenation, but i dont want that to be necessary for people to get to the level cap.

i love hard raids, and end game PvP, and those require grouping, but some times , being by myself is all i want, especially when leveling up, i want to learn my class, and know when i do something wrong, on groups it can be harder to notice when you are under performing
    Grim Fandango likes this.
  18. Delta

Delta New Cupcake

The purpose of the level grind should be for fun, story/lore, and teaching you the skills you'll need for end-game content. This last one is where so many of the MMO's fail. I prefer solo content so I can learn my character skills better and go at my own pace. I really wish an MMO would come out that would allow solo players to complete dungeons with a computer generated party for the experience but no other rewards. The rewards would come with real group play and the difficulty level would go up with the party number. This would give players a taste of the content and allow them to develop their skills on their own time so that when they do group up that they aren't total newbs. I know it sounds contradictory to increase group play by making things soloable but I think withholding the reward for solo play would still be enough to encourage group play and make the groups more enjoyable. The closest thing I remember to this was LOTRO's skirmishes.

I hate the failure that comes along on group content when somebody doesn't know what they're doing -- especially if it's me. When does somebody in a healer role really learn about healing while soloing content in most games? Same goes for tanks. As far as I can tell, only DPS learns their class by soloing.

I occasionally will group with people on normal content but this really only works when we have the same goals. I think GW2 had the best system for group content during the leveling process and should be emulated by any new games. They also nailed the level disparity in groups since areas would knock you down to the level of the region while still giving you experience. Their biggest failure was getting rid of the holy trinity which eliminated end-game for me.
  19. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

Fact: 100% of polls are based on the people who are asked.

For example... we asked 'What Path You Would Choose' three times. Twice on fan-site forums and once on Facebook. Was the outcome the same? Not even close. Here on WildStar Central? Scientist got first place. Over on Facebook? Scientist were in third place. The numbers were completely different.

Want to see first hand? Create a poll here on WildStar Central. Ask how many players prefer to play solo on an MMORPG. I guarantee it won't end up being 65%.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  20. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

I strongly believe this has more to do with the fact that grouping while leveling or questing tends to punish you in most games within the genre. Make grouping more efficient than solo questing and leveling and you'll see a swing back to grouping. It's human nature to take the path of least resistance.
    Apostate likes this.