1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

65% of players tend to play solo

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

One thing to consider, with that type of statistics, accurate or not, numbers are supposedly based on data. Data from games we have now. And it's not going to show people grouping like mad simply because there is no need to socialize to play an mmo at the moment.

Many games do not have proper end game. Ofc your statistics will show people doing stuff on their own, what else? :D If there are no group quests, noone needs to group, if dungeons can be blitzed through in 15 min or done with half the number of people, why bother? The imbalanced limited pvp? Raids...wait, what for, I've done LFR.

This may very well be the data reflecting the state of things as they are, by no means can we assume this is what players prefer. Rather what we end up doing often because we have limited, fun group content that actually requires cooperation.

It's like saying, 65% of all consumers bought a red shirt last month. Hint: there were only red, and pink with ponies available in the market :p. It doesn't mean we love red shirts.
  2. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Has to be seen in context, what "mmo game" are we looking at when that statement is made?

Some games are made so it's easier to simply not group up, it's know that once the option is given one would generally prefer to do tasks on their own as it's easier to organize and plan, that doesn't make a player anti-social it simply means, your human nature kicked in, much like electric current we always take the path of least resistance.

The other comment to be made is that it doesn't mean they play solo exclusively.

MMO's focussing on purely solo content tend to get buried quickly or have a very low retention rate. That's why while player prefer to play solo a mmo should focus on their strenghts of building an unique multiplayer platform and not trying to compete in the market of RPG's.
  3. Eternus

Eternus New Cupcake

While I like grouping if done right and will group only if I want to or have the time to.

Games that force you to level by grouping are a dying breed, I can direct you to these old games some that are still running while others that are long since dead.

While group can be fun if you get a good group people that work together, being force to go at the pace of the group and not be able to take in the lore or content at your pace and run from one point to another can be a turn off if your trying to enjoy and immerse yourself. But I suppose it does have its upsides at times but you'll find more often then not you got a mix of people and that in of itself can drain one desire to spend day in and day out always grouping to get anything done.

Remember not all of us can play all day long day after day and unless there is a really good LFG tool available at launch. The concept of group leveling and just plain getting anything done in a mmo is old fashion and quite frankly a turn off to those that don't have the time to form a group and might only have 30 minutes here or 1 hour there and don't want to be spend half if not the entire time just trying to finding a group.

I play solo most of the time not only to progress stories in a mmo but to also as many others mentioned just go at my own pace.

MMO doesn't mean you spend nearly all day every day grouped up in a game, it can mean even if I am soloing that I can talk to my guild mates, friends or people in a major city while I craft, dance or do whatever I am doing in game. Not at any point should I be pressured to play in a certain way in any mmo or any game for that matter, for any game that forces me to play a certain way are bound to drive me and a lot of people like me to quit and move onto something else if they feel restricted.

For me and many others I say give us option playing solo is in its own right enjoyable or playing with a few friends when I up for it. But as do in most game i will continue to solo at my own pace and join groups and raid if and when I have the time and patience.
  4. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Join a guild problem sorted.
  5. Rizzalliss

Rizzalliss Cupcake

It really tends to vary for myself. It depends allot on what I am doing. For example...

-Trying to level quickly to cap = Solo. The reason is that I tend to blaze through it, and I get bored fast if I have to wait for people.
    -Starting off in a new game = I often start by grouping with a friend, as two heads are better than one for figuring things out and getting it done. BUT... as soon as they log off for even an hour - I usually pull all-nighters on new games - then I outpace them by quite a bit and end up far enough ahead that grouping just isn't feasible.
    -Time isn't an issue = I am likely allot more willing to wait for them.

It also depends on how interested I am in that specific character, or the game as a whole.
  6. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

When I started playing EQ I was working swingshift, and I was part of a real world gamer’s guild. I played EQ after midnight during the week when I got off of work, and sometimes on Sundays. I primarily soloed because of the low pop during the time I played. I grouped occasionally, but over time I learned to prefer soling a MMO whenever I could, despite me playing table top RPGs. Grouping in a MMO is nothing like grouping in a real world group. Because of the anonymity of the internet there are too many asswipes who get off on ruining the game for people. This was true for EQ and was definitely true after the 800lb gorilla became the 800lb gorilla. I’ve gotten to the point where I will not put up with a MMO that forces me to group, despite how that sounds to those who think an MMO is about the group.

That being said I do not expect everything to be soloable. I used to play CoHV and I recognized that if I was not willing to give a couple of hours to be part of a group I was never going to do things such as Task Forces. I accepted that and continued to play CoHV because there was plenty for me to do as a solo player who occasionally PUGed.
  7. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

In my experience, it's generally faster to level solo.

In WoW, I leveled solo and after BC/Wrath, leveling solo was ideal. Grouping up meant you had to slow down if they couldn't keep up which meant slower exp rates all around.. which was already bad considering that exp rates were cut abit because it was party exp at the time so everyone got abit of the slice. Yeah, with some quests it did mean you had to kill more cause it only dropped one of a quest item for one person, but generally partying while leveling was slower unless it was dungeon content.

Tera was a big offender because I could do all the quests solo as a Zerker and skip the numerous amount of 5-man quests because I couldn't be bothered to look for 4 other people so I could get a quest finished that offered 1.5x the exp of the other quests I had at the time. I'd rather go out and grind a few mobs and get the same amount (which I did... cause zerkers were OP like that)

The issue here is that we've been trained to level efficiently and not for fun. We all want to hit that end game so we can get to the 'fun' part of the game, which is generally just dungeon/raid running... pvp and not much else.

The only party system that seemed relatively interesting was Flyff where if you were in a party, you could get party levels that could be used for skills. Each level gave you 5 points and the last skill was unlocked at party level 45-50 (which in a full group and high enough level, can be reached pretty quickly) and gave temp buffs such as increased drop rate and exp rate. It was essential to getting the best exp in the game... if only it wasn't such a grindfest...

The problem here is that people want to play solo and that's fine. They can offer 5x the exp in a party and people would still solo, but at that point (of extreme party rates) the solo people see that difference and start complaining that they're being ignored and want the same exp rate.

There needs to be a balance. You need to give people who party up enough incentive that its worth it to do so (other than just social interaction.. which for some people is the biggest reason to group up) but not so much that it makes the solo people cry foul.

It was like that when guilds in WoW got Levels because everyone complained 'oh, you're forcing me to join a guild now?!' kind of thing.

...This is one of those issue's that no matter which way they go, it's gonna make people upset and you've gotta figure out what your're gonna do (as a dev.)
  8. Riuuki

Riuuki Cupcake

65% is the amount of people who do not enter a game with friends. Not "play alone 24/7 because we dislike groups"

Playing solo is a play style, which can be for several reasons.

I play solo due to the fact most people can't either keep up or they do little things to annoy me, ruining my experience.

Other could do so for several reasons such as effort, time, location(say EU on NA, which means most people are asleep @ their normal time) or because they prefer to not be blamed or blame others.
  9. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

Anonymity allows people to be jerks because there are no consequences for their actions. If you joined a guild, a mature guild, then your experiences within groups would be completely different.
  10. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

It still implies that one plays on regular hours where guildies would be online.

I always considered "find a guild, duh" not a really good solution. Guilds are fun in many aspects: RP, dungeons, raids, open world PvP and social interactions, but at the end of the day it's silly to demand your guildies to be always there for you when you are just bored and logged in for half an hour to do a daily.

Even in a guild I absolutely loved I spent most of time time ungrouped, simply because we did not have the numbers and I used to play at quite odd hours.
  11. mysticjbyrd

You can always find people who play at the same times you do. Besides, I am sure he isn't perfectly consistent with him play time either. For instance, the Aussies are just getting up in the NA server when we are about to go to bed, so its quite common to see them online in the middle of the night.

Everyone complains about PuGs. They aren't a good experience for anyone most of the time, which is why we form guilds. There are guilds for everyone out there. From people who mostly solo, to people who run dungeons constantly, to people who only want to raid.
  12. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

Oh, sure, one can find tons of people that play at the same time as you do. The catch is: they may not be the people you'd actually like playing with.

Also you have to remember that when you join a guild you have to set priorities. If you want a RP guild, you have to live with the fact you may not get to raid. If you want a PvP guild, it may be that no one will run dungeons with you. You simply to decide what you want the most... but it still means that in a raid guild you may have to PvP alone.

That means that some activities you'll be able to pursue with your guildies... but with other things you are on your own.

(And you know exactly what those guilds with "we accept everyone and do a little bit of everything". In the end they still focus more on one thing or the other.)
  13. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

You know. We shouldn't be surprised by this number. A lot of the tropes and systems that mmos use almost feel like they where made to keep people from playing together. Levels, classes, instances. It also doesn't help that MMOs ten to bring out some of are worst qualities.
  14. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

You seem to be assuming a fairly large guild. That's not the way many guilds operate. In most of the ones compact enough to actually have a community feel, there will be dead periods when very few people are playing, or when only a couple of people are playing and neither wants to do the same thing. I don't find that to be a problem at all, but it is a reason people end up soloing.

I'm a fan of guild structures, but let's be honest and admit that there aren't guilds of any reasonable quality or sociability level for all players. Players who tend to bounce in and out of games with breaks in between find that they've been kicked for inactivity. Other players have language barriers that prevent them from finding guilds in the first place. Some people act like they're 10 and are better left by themselves. The only guilds for these people are the huge zerg affairs, and those don't tend to provide groups for people. There are a lot of other people who could find guilds, but who aren't willing to under any circumstances. Most of these people have had bad guild experiences in the past and aren't willing to give things yet another shot with yet another group of people.

As someone who is guild-oriented, my impulse is to let these people be rather than try to force them to group up, mostly because I don't want to have to deal with inactivity or immaturity or cynicism in my guild. I suspect the old school mentality is that the game should try to scare them away altogether, but I don't know if that's feasible in a game with a AAA budget.
    Apostate likes this.
  15. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

It's been stated a few times throughout the thread but I feel Drasas said it best:

It's just the way the wind's blowing at the moment. I'm not alone in thinking that it will continue to stay this way, but there's always the possibility that things will change again. There are game designers out there who want to see the MMO paradigm take a step backward (chronologically speaking), maybe their creation will surprise the cynics among us (me, for example)with its popularity.

I, personally, think a middle ground weighted in favor of group content is the way to go. We "solo" types (very few of us are diehard hermits)will tend to find our own way through things without any outside encouragement. Even in group-centric games, there will be plenty of people going off on their own. I don't think it needs to be incentivized beyond the general requirement of having something for them to do. As long as the solo player -can- level, I don't think anyone minds grouped players leveling faster or more easily.

And that approach can be taken and applied to every other aspect of the game that needs it. "Trickle down" MMO design, why not.
  16. mysticjbyrd

I am all for group play, but I will be damned if I am going to play a game that forces you to group just to level. Cough Everquest, cough...
  17. Apostate

Quoting because it deserves to be reiterated. There isn't a guild for everyone.
  18. mysticjbyrd

Nonsense. If you are stuck solo'ing, and don't want to be always playing solo, then you can find a guild that fits you.

If all you want to do is play solo, and pug on occasion, well that is fine too. But don't cry because the PuGs are mean to you afterwards...
  19. Apostate

Funny, I don't recall crying about anything.

Apparently, though, the guild that fits me is the one with warm bodies that I can drag through dungeons whenever I feel like it. Got it. I'm so glad you were here to clear that up for me. I was previously under the impression that I expected more of a guild, but now I have seen the light.
  20. mysticjbyrd

Wait, when did people who only play solo know how to actually play their class?