1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

65% of players tend to play solo

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

First of all, no. There are various groups of players who will not be able to find guilds that fit them. I listed a few of the types above. If you only play the game once a month, you will probably not be able to find a guild that is active enough to form groups and that won't kick you while you're inactive. If you speak only Portuguese and play on a North American server, you may not find enough players who you can communicate with well enough to form a functional guild. If you have poor impulse control, no one's going to keep you in their guild and no one should have to.

Beyond that, the always part of things is important. Very few people always solo. Many people who solo sometimes or frequently also group, and many of them are also in guilds. I've been soloing on and off all day today. I'm home nursing a nasty sunburn, but most of my guildmates are presumably outside enjoying the summer weather. Last night we grouped and leveled alts, though. A few days before that, I was soloing again because it was 2:30 in the morning and I couldn't sleep. See how that works? I think that's a very common case for players.

No one is crying about PUGs being mean. Shudder. PUGs are generally full of nincompoops who don't have half their class's abilities on their bars and people who are terrible for the sake of being terrible. There's no need to cry about them, because I don't play in them.
    Sonntam and Apostate like this.
  2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I think this is put well, and I don't think it needs to be more complicated than this.

for Eselle's comment -
    this seems a bit extreme and I think the "old schoolers" tend to just think more like Apostates quote.

As far as finding a guild that fits, I have always been able to find one that I can invest some time with, but I do put some effort into it also. I look at their webpage, see what their basic goals are, and if I am interested then I'll whisper and ask them if I can toss out a few questions on vent.
    It's not a huge deal and isn't some nerve racking interrogation, you have just as much right to ask questions as they do, and its never been anything other than a nice short conversation for me, even if I found they were not what I was looking for.
    Apostate likes this.
  3. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Sarcasm for sarcasm, fair enough. There's no law like talionic law.

While I could argue about how being a "solo player" doesn't exclude a person from looking up guides and doing their own theorycrafting, what I actually meant is that I expect more of a guild in the sense that, if I'm going to bond myself to a group over a long period of time, I'd like them to be people I feel comfortable with and enjoy the company of. I'm an odd sort of person, I don't meet many people that I have much in common with, so that's rare for me. Finding a guild that's both available on my schedule -and- pleasant to interact with is something I haven't yet been able to do in the many years I've been playing these games. I usually settle for the latter at the expense of the former. You can PUG a dungeon better than you can PUG a conversation, in my experience. So, yes, in a sense I've found guilds that "worked" for me, but they weren't really guilds in the sense of a "a bunch of people who play together" so much as "a few people who chatted while each doing their own thing". In WildStar terms, more of a circle than a guild.

Anyways, I would settle for a guild that's merely available on my schedule if they'd just let me mute guild chat and then send me a PM whenever they're gearing up to run some dungeons or whatever and they need a healer. People seem to take a dim view of that, though.
    eselle8 and Sonntam like this.
  4. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

I have played in countless guilds, all of which had people inactive for months and months. There is little reason to kick those people, so most don't even bother for for long periods of time.

Luckily English is the most widely spoken language in the world. You could also find guilds set up just for people who speak a particular language. I have seen many such guilds.

Lots of guilds out there that just invite anyone. Those kids can easily find a home there, and they have to get pretty rowdy to merit a kick from these types of guilds. Even if they did get a boot, there are many others only a whisper away.

No one always plays grouped...
  5. eselle8

Oh, I'm already in a guild and have been for many years. Like I said, I'm a guild-oriented player. I just don't think games should be designed with the expectation that every player will be able to find a guild. Some players are just not going to be acceptable candidates for the sorts of guilds that have websites and voice servers, and I don't think mainstream games should be built with the expectation that everyone will play like that.

And apologies if I've unintentionally included anyone who thinks of themselves as old school in that statement. I'm basically with Apostate on the issue as well. I think groups should get somewhat more perks to encourage them but that soloing should be entirely viable. I'm a fan of carrots rather than sticks. I'm not sure what to term folks who would like to go back to the EverQuest model where grouping was almost required. That's the only one I resist.
    Apostate likes this.
  6. eselle8

That's not the complaint I hear from people who have that playstyle.

That doesn't mean games should be hostile to other players. And while there are language-specific guilds, they're not in every game and they too have standards.

Those guilds do not provide groups. They don't provide much of anything besides a tag and whatever guild achievements the game provides. But I won't rant on that issue, as I think they're a negative force in gaming and that games should balance to encourage people to either join meaningful, active guilds or not to guild at all. The zergs do very little to help either players or communities.

Some people do. But no one should have to, at least not in a game that's trying to market itself to a mainstream audience. Many people are going to want to solo some of the time and some people are going to want to solo all of the time. Trying to prod them with sticks into grouping is just going to cause them to switch games. Holding out a few carrots and encouraging people to try new things could help the problem without being coercive.
    Apostate likes this.
  7. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

@Eselle

my guilds paragraph was meant to be separate, not at you so much as in support of your idea that being in a guild usually has busy times and light times, and if you just communicate what you want out of the guild experience, then its much easier to find one that fits.
    I have seen GM's that put notes for members in-game, "prefers solo activity" or even "dont pester me, I like to solo"...and these are in progression raiding guilds, it's just a matter of being up front on what you want when you talk to them, they are out there.
    eselle8 and Apostate like this.
  8. eselle8

Gotya. I think we're pretty much on the same page. If we're going to digress into guilding issues in general, I think a lot of people would be much happier in guilds if they were a little more self-aware about what they wanted and better about communicating it. Sometimes people get a bit hung up on prestige when what they really want is to make some friends, or think they want friendly and family oriented when getting the leet drops are what really makes them happy. And I think a lot of relatively solitary players can be well-liked in guilds if they're clear about how they participate. Someone who drops a note to say that they tend to solo but will be on the voice server, or are taking crafting orders from other members, or will be social on the website comes across very differently than someone who never seems to participate in anything.
  9. MassFragg

MassFragg Cupcake

I have to say I can't play solo. When I started getting into wow, I went maybe 25 levels or so and quit. I didn't play until I met someone else to play with. Then we talked about it all day at work, we played it every night. Group play made that game for me, and I couldn't do that again without someone else to play the game with.

TLDR: Group play makes any game for me, I will not be playing solo at all.
  10. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

For me personally, i hate waiting for people. Ive always been one of those who played the most among my friends, the one who reached max level first and so on. I want to speed on without feeling held back cause someone has to walk the dog, make food for someone else then themself or any other reason.

It might sound selfish, but i want to enjoy the game as much as possible. This requires me to play at my pace, not at anyone elses pace wether its faster or slower.
  11. WildFly

WildFly Cupcake

I play mostly solo.

Why?

• I am a control freak
    • I am more efficient solo
    • I don't always like dealing with annoying personalities
    • I like to explore,vary the pace,take a bio or break when I want,multi task i.e. Watch a movie while leveling or cook lunch etc.
  12. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

This so doesn't solve the problem and is inaccurate enough I'm having a problem figuring out where to begin. Contrary to popular belief, solving a guild doesn't solve all that ails. I guess I'll just go through my original points.

I believe my points were:
    1) To Shy - If somebody is to shy to group, there's a good chance they're to shy to seek out a guild.
    2) Prone to tangents: While a guild will most likely be more tolerant of my sometimes erratic play-style, I would still often be a bit of a pain to group with, or I'll feel restricted in not being able to just wander away when something shiny catches my eye.
    3) Kids and Family: I still will feel like I may have to quit at any time for the kids. Once again a GOOD guild might be understanding of that, but I'll feel bad if I ditch them, or keep them waiting an excessive amount of time.
    4) My vision: I will miss 80 to 90 percent of guild chat when I'm actively playing. Unless I sit an watch the chat bar, or have a voice chat feature going, I'm not going to see stuff. I've had more then one person/guild feel like I'm ignoring their requests, when in reality I'm just not seeing it. Voice chat is an option, but I don't like keeping voice chat going on all the time. I have kids in the house and need my ears free to hear when it suspicious sounds (or lack thereof) emanate from other rooms in the house.

A good guild can solve a lot of problems, but is not for everybody, and doesn't always work. I appreciate peoples opinion here, and I do like being in a good guild.
  13. Dazzle

Dazzle New Cupcake

I personally almost exclusively solo play because when you do group up it's usually a one and done thing with no talking and just killing. If I wanted to just kill stuff I wouldn't have grouped.

I also hate asking to be part of a guild, if I was wanted for it I would be invited to it :S
  14. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

The only guilds that just send out random invites are crappy ones. If you want to go out with the hot girl, then you got to ask her. She probably isn't going to ask you. She might turn you down, but you aren't going to score if you don't try.
  15. Demoses

Demoses New Cupcake

I would say I am 50/50 on the issue, part of the time I just like to be left alone and do my own thing the other half of the time I want to be with my friends and enjoying challenges with them. I don't like being forced into either or direction though, I want the versatility to choose how I want to play and when I want to.
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I solo what I can and group up for what I can't solo.

That's pretty much all there is to my social MMO habits. Since I'm competitive and competitive content is usually reserved for groups, I search for raiding guilds/PvP teams so that I can experience that content.
  17. Splash

Splash New Cupcake

Many MMOs develop their questing in a way that promotes solo play, but then force grouping at some arbitrary point. So here are players that can play through quests faster and more efficiently solo only to have a quest arc or chain end with a quest requiring that they find 2, 3 or 4 other players on the same quest to get it done. It's a jarring effect that causes some people to just abandon the quest and move on to quests that don't require them to find other players. There is nothing more disheartening to a player then to come to a quest that suddenly requires help from others only to not be able to find anyone on the same quest or willing to help. This is not the way group content should work. On the flip side why group for quests that require everyone in the group to fight over the rare boar bladder, wolf paw, evil bat eye, <insert animal body part that is oddly missing from 9 out of 10 animals killed> when you could have been done in a few minutes but because you are grouped and have to get everyone in the group their share of squishy animal parts it takes twice as long to complete the quest.

Forced grouping in the questing model is bad. It is counter intuitive and often leads players to giving up on the quest if they can't find the help they need. Worse yet is getting help from higher level players coming down to power you through the quest; the experience of the player is ruined. Who wants to be lead through something while acting as a loot vacuum following behind someone making you feel pathetic as they one-shot everything in sight.

Group content should never be forced. Games like Rift, WAR, and even GW2 all used dynamic events to bring players into group content in a way that allowed for seemless grouping and dynamic gameplay. Were there problems with those models; yes, but the group content was much more enjoyable because it was an aside to the normal questing that you did solo. You'd see a dynamic event starting and people would flock to it.

If the quest model is easy to do solo then give incentives to group up. Don't make a quest requiring you to collect 10 boar bladders have a low drop rate and everyone in the group has to get 10. Does the quest giver really need 50 boar bladders? If he did, then way didn't he ask the solo player for 50 instead of 10? No, he asked for 10, so when your group of 5 adventurers goes out and kills boars until they find 10 with bladders that's all the group needs. They worked as a group to complete the quest. Maybe give grouped players bonus objectives. You've killed 20 boars to find 10 that had bladders, but hey since you're grouped there's a really big boar that has a really big bladder that needs put out of his misery. Reward players for being grouped up with additional content, but don't make that content mandatory to progress if a player doesn't have a group available. And by mandatory I mean don't include this group bonus content in achievements or allow drops or rewards that make people feel like they have to group to stay relevant. Think of the social points from SWTOR, which gave points to players for grouping that allowed them to get special items that were usually fluff. But you got these social points from dungeons, raids and other group content as well, so not doing one type of group content didn't ruin your chances of getting these points if you didn't want to or were unable to do that content.

The key is to make grouping a seemless and fun experience and not an arbitrary decision of hey this quest requires more people because it just does.

Wildstar's path system looks to have some potential at giving people a reason to group up beyond the occasional group quest. I hope that there are more incentives for grouping that will give players reason to want to be grouped with other people, but if you want to be a loner for a play session you don't feel left in the cold either.
  18. Razma

Razma New Cupcake

Grouping is great when I have people who can move at the same pace and play the same style as myself but It's tough. Out of my standard 5 man group of friends I have 1 who is like me in the aspects of wanting to progress and maximize the role we are playing. Another one is pretty good but gets frustrated super quick and is quick to start drama/complain if there is a wipe or someone screws up. The other 2 are semi casual gamers who have problems with turning in/accepting quests even tho they raided in multiple WoW expansions (albeit a low level of raiding) and have leveled in multiple MMO's. These are all longtime friends who I've gamed with for 10 years so it's hard just to drop them.

I think a lot of smaller groups of people like myself have different kind of people with them so they end up just Soloing/Duoing content at the pace they enjoy and then meetup at max level. I know personally forced grouping pre max level is pretty lame. In the FFXIV beta you're forced to group for 4 dungeons from 15-20 and the amount of people I had to party with who couldn't fill any roles was astounding and very frustrating. So I'm personally really against forced grouping pre max level.

Guilds are great for chatting and endgame content or PvP but I would never join a leveling guild with that focus because I just can't stand being slowed down.