1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

65% of players tend to play solo

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I spend most of my time solo. Part of the reason is that my level, quest or intent dosen't match anyone around. Also my current mmo's combat is to active for me to chat well fighting. If I can't chat, I don't see any big befit to grouping. I tend to play next other players more then I group with them, every now and then I find myself next to another player and we do things together, but we don't always group. Though I do tend to get a ton of group invites form people I don't know. That feels creepy.
    Feliun likes this.
  2. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

When I play solo it's cause I'm doing something I enjoy and no one else is there to enjoy it too... I will group if I see someone (some of the time). What I dislike is the anonymity troll problem, and regretfully, I think that F2P model actually tends towards that.
  3. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

I am one of those MMO players that prefers to play solo the vast majority of the time, and here are some reasons why (starting with the OP's questions)...

Is it the time it takes to find a group?
    Yes. I'd be more included to play in a group if it were easier to group with people who were on the same quests as me.

Do you feel more efficient alone as opposed to teaming up with someone?
    I do, actually, unless I need to a group to accomplish something (in which case I don't have a problem doing it with others, like taking down a boss, especially if I don't need to physically go through the trouble of grouping with people, as in Guild Wars 2).

Would you be more inclined to group if you actually knew the people?
    Yes, of course. If I knew them well enough (and liked them, obviously), I'd definitely want to try and play in a group with them whenever we're both online and doing the same thing.

If I get in a group with a random person or group of people, I feel obligated to stick with them until I am done playing the game for that sitting. As someone who doesn't have a whole lot of free time, this can be difficult, and I'd rather avoid having to explain to them that I only have an hour or whatever to play and then need to get going. Some people will group with random strangers while questing to get things done super fast, and they can play for hours on end, or for some people all day. I don't have that luxury.

I feel if I'm solo I can enjoy the game more. I'm not always concerned about with the people in my group are doing and having to follow them around. I can go at my own pace and enjoy the scenery or even stop for a bit to role play. :)

I don't mind grouping up with random folks for doing dungeons, as I actually am a real big dungeon and raid fan. So, that is about the only occasion I feel like being in a group. For questing and other such things, I'd rather not form a group.

Izukar likes this.
  4. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

I find that most MMORPGs are designed with conflict between players rather than co-operation. I read an interesting article a while ago with a developer from Blizzard about loosening of taging in MMOs. Basically the thing I took away from the article was that Blizzard would not be doing this because of the economy and also because it would reduce player interaction. There is good player interaction and there is bad player interaction, but for many developers it seems that as long as people are "interacting" then they have done their job.

I think there needs to be more incentive to group together and I am hoping that Carbine is going to do this with Wildstar. I mean from everything that I have seen why would you not want to take one of every path with you everywhere that you go? Both the Soldier and the Explorer open more content that everyone can be involved with, I suspect that you will see the same thing with the others.

The main thing is though you have got to feel happy to see people around (if they are on the same side at least) rather than feeling you are competing with them.

This change is not only in the hands of the developers though, it is also in our hands as players. It is always funny seeing people just starting out in GW2 who run away from you because they seem to think you taking their kills. It normally only takes a couple of kills though before they realize "hey this is easier because this guy is here" and you just organically group up and do stuff. I hope to see similar things happen in Wildstar too.
    Izukar, Yakzan, starspun and 8 others like this.
  5. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

I do solo a lot, but then again i tend to flow from one group to then next. I like active friendly guilds, but I find myself soloing till i need help or want to do something more challenging. I think that there is a point when groups or people are just plain out jerk which makes me want to solo. I've also had some awesome grouping experience in the past. Unfortunately it comes down to the type of people playing. If you run across jerks, a lot while your just try to learn the game your going to solo. I believe that's probably why the number is so high.
  6. Kryodragyn

Kryodragyn New Cupcake

I actually do enjoy soloing a lot myself. I like to for the reasons if I need to go out and take care of errands I won't hold back anyone or leave my teammates alone after trying to get something accomplished. I do it out of courtesy when it comes to that.

I think a lot of people solo because they have had bad experiences teaming up with random people in past MMO's. You have the typical "elitist" that will rip you a new one if you aren't as good as them or can't read their mind. You have "ninjas" that will loot something they can't even use after the group worked hard to beat whatever hard mob they fought or accomplished a crazy feat. Then you have those that literally join your team and go afk immediately for a good 10+ minutes without saying anything. I think the last one annoys me the most, lol.

I'm hoping this game will entice people to team up and make questing more fun in the long run. the lore and characters behind this game will attract all sorts into Nexus. We will run into the bad apples that may make us stray away from grouping, but so far I've seen a great community following this game. Hopefully more people will want to group this time around since there seems to be a great deal of dynamics to gameplay of Wildstar. I'm hoping so at least.
    Ingsoc and Dragnog like this.
  7. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

I prefer solo play but with the option of social interaction too, occasionally group but really Im not a people person. I think for a while I was allergic to people but Im good now :D Id much prefer to play with a pack of dogs but sadly they just keep mauling the keyboard and there is the slobbering problem too.

Kitty is also no help and often just lies across the keyboard sending her character running around like a crazy mad person and aggroing most of the NPC's (you may have seen her in game). Kitty is now banned from the den :)
    Izukar, Michael Thysson and Zerdav like this.
  8. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

You just need to keybind DPS moves to all the keys, and buy yourself a bottle of liquid catnip. Then you'd have one heck of a gaming partner!
  9. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I do remember grouping up more with strangers, who where obviously on the same quest objective in Rift. Not the public raid thing for rifts, which was fun on it own. Just for questing, if a person allowed public grouping, you could right click them to group. If a person prefered to not group, they could set the option to private.
  10. Fate Flyer

Totally agree with you on all this. If interactions between players were much more positive, I know I'd personally be up for being more social in MMOs and playing groups.

Since anyone can revive fallen players in Guild Wars 2, it's also nice seeing that there really can be so many helpful people, if only given the opportunity. It completely changes your perspective on online play. (*cough* Journey *cough*)
  11. Brightag

Brightag Cupcake

This is what I was thinking. Does this number include people who prefer to solo or people who solo because it's more efficient? Even though I like to group while questing, I don't because some games seem to overlook the below.

1) If I group, is XP reduced per kill or can I get the same XP as I do solo?
    2) After killing a mob, can everyone loot the quest item or do we have to kill X times more than we do solo?
    3) If I'm higher level than someone, can I level down to their level without penalizing my progress?

If a game is missing out on these things, then I tend to level to cap solo. So the question is, when I do this am I included in the 65%?
    Izukar, Yakzan, starspun and 2 others like this.
  12. Fate Flyer

I'm guessing they just had a very general survey asking MMO players something like:
    "Do you prefer to play more solo or with a group?"
    And that's how they got a lot of solo answers.
  13. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

sounds about right.
  14. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

More likely from in game data than a survey.
    Mudfin, Draogon, Liris and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rotto

Rotto Cupcake

I think a lot of it tends towards efficiency (outside of trolls and their ilk).
    For the most part MMOs from this generation reward solo play far more than grouping will.

To give a few examples:

When leveling, is it more profitable to play solo?
    Yes. In an overwhelming majority of games out today, mob exp is divided ,with a small bonus for grouping, amongst each party member (I am aware of the current change in this trend).

This prevents larger parties from ever forming because the efficiency demanded from each member to keep pace with a solo-player becomes outrageous.

Collection Quest, and Loot Distribution:
    Oh. These kinds of quest have all sorts of things wrong with them but that is a topic for another time. This lends itself back to the group experience.

If we all have to collect X amount of logs/flowers/tusk/hooves/fangs/whatever then for each member, the quest is going to take longer and ultimately hamper us. Especially when it isn't a guaranteed drop.

And in a broader sense, this leads up to Loot Distribution.
    If I group with other people, more often than not the amount of currency you receive is split between everyone. Meaning you won't be able to snag that sweet +1 sword off the AH when you come back from a long session.

And the same concept applies to loot. Even with unique loot distribution we often find ourselves having to "roll" for rarer pieces. Most people don't like taking that risk. Especially when it could mean mount money/new gear/etc.

And a final example, because I feel that three is enough to convey the point:
    Most games make leveling with your friends unfriendly.
    We've seen recent ideas and some very old ones that help address this problem (I'm looking at you FFXI) but a level syncing system is often needed and should be included.
    Maybe I've got buddies that can play 20 hours a week.
    Maybe I can only put in ten.

While I want to play with them, I'll find myself falling to the wayside.

Which leads us back to the efficiency problem.
    I'll choose to play solo because that is the most efficient route. Whether its to catch back up and enjoy content with my friends, farming for money/materials/loot or just grinding exp.

If it's easier to interact positively with each other. If such interactions are truly rewarded, then I think we will start to see a change in the mindset of today's gamers and with it a definite change in the trend of those statistics.

And while I may have only addressed the leveling experience of an MMORPG. I believe it has the same importance as the Elder Game (love this term) as it sets the tone, teaches the skills, and the habits of the players involved.
    kiri, Izukar, Veckna and 6 others like this.
  16. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

What about group experience that grow up to a point with time spent in group and in range of each other? Diminish when not close to group members. Kind of a temporary buff that stacks up to x times, keeps resetting to the same stack while in group and in range and fades if not in range of another person in group or leaving group.

Unique loot may fix issues with quest loot and normal loot and rare loot.
  17. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

They actually said this is one of the main reasons the team decided to present quests in the way they've described in previous blogs, right? The whole twitter-quest dialogue. Now that we've seen some more gameplay vids, it's even more clear to me how they do things.

1.) Pick up a quest with one small easy to read blurb. If you DON'T pick it up and it's important to progress the story, the NPC calls you.

2.) Throughout the quest, you get updates with them calling you and short avatar videos on the screen, or just overheard com chatter and little short text pop ups here and there.

3.) Quest complete, reward given... on to more content.

The entire system sounds like it was a streamlined and effective way to tell stories without throwing that quest window at someone, sure... but it also sounds like it was designed to make grouping not something people worry about. You can be in a quick moving group with that "GO GO GO GO GO" guy and still get all the story you want from this. You won't feel like you are slowing people down with this system if you want to read things.

I think a lot of people don't group, as it was mentioned above, because it's just not efficient for them. Why feel pressured to be rushed when you can just do everything solo and get great progress for your time too?

Maybe this system will help that. I know it won't solve the solo issue, mind you, but I do know that now I can group with other people besides just my wife and NOT have to worry about rushing around the map and missing out on story elements and lore. ^^

As othere said, it also really DOES help that you just can't do all content by yourself here if you aren't an altaholic. If you are a soldier but want that Explorer content, you're gonna have to find at least ONE Explorer to group with. If you both want the lore unlocks a scientist can provide... well, tha's another group mate you gotta find.

It's a clever way to do things because it puts the desire to group in the players' hands JUST to make them see every bit of content they want, yet it doesn't punish them in any way for soloing.
    starspun and Evion like this.
  18. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I am an extrovert and love to group!

But, I tend to solo in most games now because that's how they are designed. Yes, I can group. Yes, I want to group. Yes, I try to group. Most folks don't. There are many reasons as to why that have been addressed in this thread. The biggest reason I feel there are not as many groups while leveling is due to efficiency. If you can play by yourself and get quicker (and in some games more) experience and rewards then most of you/us will. To this day I don't understand why a developer has not fixed this simple problem. Increase XP and rewards for groups. This will get those who like to group and those who could go either way back into the grouping pool. There would be no negative for the solo-centric player as there game play would still be the same. To me it's a win for everybody. Unitl a developer addresses this human nature and the path of least resistance, efficiency, will continue to make solo play more desirable.

EDIT: And of course I wrote this post before reading Rotto's reply above. They say it much better! ;)
  19. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Fate, I wanted to reply to this part of your post since I am a self described grouper. I would rather group with you because you would say, " hey I only have an hour" than the guy who says nothing and bails after 15 minutes. You appear to be courteous and respectful and would be much more fun to play with. On the other hand I know not all folks think like I do and some would give you grief for leaving, so I do understand your point.
  20. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Good way to think of it.