1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

A different take on dungeon/raid finders

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Psistorm, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So please all the people all the time. Give both options, but let's help make the alternative solution a stronger option. That way Solutionsoap can keep his job and his family and his tv shows and we can do our thing. Everyone's happy. (BTW yes I'll keep shamelessly promoting this to attempt to gain support)
  2. SituationSoap

SituationSoap Cupcake-About-Town

That's how software works. You innovate, you come up with something cool that's new, and other people copy you.

You're not going to pull 300K people on a game without an LFG tool. Full stop. You're probably not going to pull 300K players with an LFG tool. Holding 300K players in today's market makes you pretty lucky.
  3. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Clearly you're lucky and don't play with people who say "Ok, just finished my quest... now I'll port back to SW... oh what's this mail? I'll just check my mailbox real quick... Oh wait what's this naked night elf dancing on the mail box *Roll for a will check against hypnosis*... Ok I must have sold something on the AH... Oh wait nope, they're just expired, better put them back up... Ok, now I need to do a quick check on the AH to make sure I can undercut everyone on all these items..." (30-40 mins later) "Are you AFK or just declining the summon?" "It'll be just another second or two."
  4. Khrusky

Khrusky Cupcake

I'm curious as to where the line between walking/no walking lies numerically, as I assume no-one would like the game to be entirely walking, so there must be some sweet-spot for how long the ramblers would like to walk.

I'm of the no-walking camp, however this is because in pretty much every MMO, the walk between towns and from towns to dungeons are incredibly dull. Only once one reaches the dungeon does the terrain around it become interesting. This tends to be worsened by the fact that most MMO zones are highly saturated with content, so one has probably walked along that same length of scrubland 10 times already, and all the interest of travelling along it has been sapped away.

I would be fine if the paths from local towns to dungeons were paid special attention to so that those walks had nice things to look at, and potentially things to do (maybe some sort of puzzle or skill-based travelling method that could be actively played to get there faster). Crucially, my immersion in the world turns to frustration and resentment at the world if the walk takes more than 10-15 mins so dungeons should be made to be no further than that from the nearest auto-travel point. Also, perhaps flight paths should be shareable? I haven't thought thoroughly about that last proposal, however.

What kind of specific lengths of walks to others want? More specifically what are you looking for from the walking?
  5. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

I think people should stop judging games by how many players they get and by how the game works for the people who play it. Look at Camelot Unchained, I game I cover as frequently as I can on the news site I write for. The game is aiming for 50-100k players. 50k they will survive, 100k they will be excited. And CU is one of the most innovative yet old school pvp experiences I have ever personally heard about. Is the game for everyone? Absolutely not, will it be amazing for 50k people. <REDACTED> yes
    Joukehainen likes this.
  6. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

EVE 500k no LFG. Hell even UO is pulling just shy of 100k right now. If a game that started it all can pull 100k and you can't pull 300k 16 years later... Don't you think something is wrong?
    Joukehainen and kiri like this.
  7. FluidD

I love this guy
  8. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

It doesn't have to be the entire distance is the consensus I think, and people are looking for potential interaction from the world while going to the dungeon. This could be PvP or a world boss or some sort of jumping puzzle possibly. They just want to know that there is a world outside this dungeon, where this dungeon is on a map. That type of thing.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  9. FluidD

I dont think that counts as travel time lol, maybe more like a mental illness?
  10. SituationSoap

Only if you think there's something wrong with games like TERA, SWTOR, Age of Conan, Rift and pretty much every other game that's launched in the last seven years, because all of them either fell below 300K players shortly after launching, or were on their way to falling below 300K players before converting to F2P.
  11. SituationSoap

I've broken down the math for this elsewhere, but the long and short of it is Camelot Unchained, being a PVP-only MMO cannot survive with less than 200K players, because as a PVP-only MMO players simply will not log on to play if there aren't other people to play with. 50K players isn't enough to maintain a critical mass of players outside of prime time hours, and once your game has a reputation as being a game that no one plays, you're not likely to shed it.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I consider anything that is between "the group has fully formed" to the first pull as "travel time."
  13. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

There is something wrong with them. They are all pretty similar in design. Level to cap ===> Sit in Town ===> Queue for instance. You can spend your entire endgame career in town without ever leaving and do perfectly fine if not prosper in all the games you listed.
    kiri likes this.
  14. FluidD

I am completely positive Mark Jacobs has done the math, considering hes invested tons of his money into it, pretty sure he wouldnt be aiming for 50k-100k if it was gonna bankrupt him. Considering the game is going to cost 5 million to make and 50k people x 15$ a month, it wont take them long to fully cover the cost, not to mention initial box/digital purchase. A dedicated group of 50k players is more then enough for a game costing 5 million.
    When a game only has 50k players they arent the normal/ extreme casual players that infest AAA titles. This is more then off topic however...
  15. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Cookie monster was pretty adamant about the lack of end-game in most of those games, thereby having something "wrong" with them.
  16. SituationSoap

Hate to break it to you, but the problem may just be that you don't like MMOs. If you believe that there's a problem with every game in a genre in the past ten years, the problem may not be the genre.
  17. SituationSoap

My post never mentioned money. You should try reading it again and comprehending what was actually posted.
  18. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

It obviously isn't just me if those games keep having to go F2p just to stay alive, which indicates they failed their initial goal. Maybe the problem is developers haven't created a good MMO worth a sub since 2004. And I liked MMORPGS. I do not like MOG's your right.
  19. SituationSoap

Ah, yes. The "All the professionals are stupid and terrible at their jobs, why won't they listen to me?" argument. Again. If your response to every game in the genre is "this sucks", then chances are, you don't actually like the genre.
  20. FluidD

Pretty sure I am done talking to you since your just turning into a dick head. If you wanna talk about something on a forum like this act with some respect and dignity, who are you to say your all mighty math powers have somehow calculated the behavior of 50-100k+ players of a game thats not out yet. You are not worth talking to about this any longer, as clearly you are a deity of prediction, you already know how the argument will end. ;)
    John and Lethality like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.