1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

A VERY Comprehensive Review for WildStar from a 1%er [WARNING! This is Long!]

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Crucifer, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

MORE WHELPS!!! HANDLE IT!!!!

I, however, am looking forward to the chaos that is 40 man raids in Wildstar.
    Kataryna likes this.
  2. Tarlithion

Tarlithion New Cupcake

No matter what size the raids end up, as long as they're a single difficulty mode and a single size, I imagine they'll be awesome.
  3. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

There are going to be two raid seizes 20 and 40 man but different raid content depending on the size.
  4. Freja

Freja Cupcake

This is something I really like. None of the "Well this boss is harder on 10m than 25m" (WoW) arguments. 20-mans and 40-mans being completely separate with different encounters will be nice.
  5. Crucifer

Crucifer Cupcake-About-Town

Or they can drop the 40 man nonsense talk that won't pan out well in this era of MMOs and just focus all their time on 20 mans and making them mind-blowing and difficult. That is the point. More attention on one thing means more detail to that thing instead of trying to make 2 levels of content every content patch. Will be a buggy disaster.
  6. Freja

Freja Cupcake

The problems of keeping a 40man running concerns me and I do wonder if just having one raid size would be better. That being said, the thought of doing 40mans again has me completely excited :D
  7. Crucifer

Until 50% of your raid doesn't show up on time, doesn't have the required mats to raid, has a kid screaming in the background, have 30 DPS arguing over the same loot, have coordination issues trying to figure out whose messing up and wiping the group every run. Trying to stop clics from forming, having officers feel their above the raid in their own private sub circles. Having class leads to control each class duty and job and everyone hates the class lead because he thinks hes special. 40 people talking at once on ventrilo or mumble during a boss fight.

I'll say it again 2009ers don't know what 40 mans are...they don't know the truth about running them and they will leave the game if they can't raid. Just focus on 20s and keep the game solid.
  8. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Or they could see how they hold up for the first tier of content and if nobody is doing them change to 20? I actually want to see large raids again. I started in EQ and the decrease in raid size that's happened within the genre has made games seem less epic.
    Kataryna likes this.
  9. Crucifer

I don't disagree but you can't shun out those who don't know from those days. Back then an MMO with 500,000 players what massive. Now 1-2 million is a minor success. The problem you have is the 11.5 million people who aren't from EQ/WoW Vanilla don't know what 40-100mans feel like. What they require. And even top raid guilds today have difficulty finding 25 people to raid at a high caliber let alone another 15. Were in a different era of MMOs because of what WoW did to the gaming market. The difference is while I don't like catering to casuals at all (see the first post) I don't think 40 mans is going to work at all to be frankly honest. It's just not going to be managed well within the community. Even at the 1%er level.
  10. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

All of those issues are things you have in 25 mans also, that said if you're part of an unorganized group like you describe.

There's very little difference in running a 40 man and 25 man raid when both done properly, i thought you claimed you claimed yourself part of the 1%? yet you come across oblivious to such standard practices.

In my 25 man raids, nobody spoke over me. In my 25 man raids people directed feedback to their class leaders who would then inform me. People who had a baby to look after and needed to go afk on regular intervals found them self replaced. No argument was made over loot even if 8 people wanted the same piece due to unfortunate setup because we had either a clear cut loot council or epgp in the raids, no discussion was possible and discussion was tolerated.

Bad apples get removed, i don't care if people dislike the officer or me as a raid leader, as long they show respect, if they can't do that. good bye.

You can't be unfair in your dealings or you won't have raiders, you can't be easy on them or they'll walk over you, harsh but just is the approach you need.

How do you think we did raids before WoW? in anarchy online where you didn't have 40 but 80 to 100 people after loot? You get organized or don't complain it's a mess.

People who came from those days are still around, we simply have more experience to lead stuff now as we seen it all, So i simply read piss poor excuses to not have them more than anything else.

Also the year a person starts playing says nothing about the person, a person using the year when a person started playing as an argument says a whole lot of about them.
    Kataryna, Mierelle and Rumze like this.
  11. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Try to keep the discussion civil and avoid flaming, alright? </Mod Monocle>
  12. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Role leaders had their own channel divided up by 4, which also served a task a class leader.

The number of classes you bring in is unimportant as long it's plural. Hybrids especially as you have quite a few of those in the raid if you ran with enhancement, elemental and resto.

If you wish to improve, beyond basic skill or what guides tell you you need a class leader to pass on the know how to speed up farm kills and increase success rate of progression kills. common practice.
    When a class leader let's say that hunter tells me his other hunter is doing poorly, i have a basis to replace him. If i spot another hunter doing poorly i simply have to ask my class leader "what's going on" in the matter of a minute i get a reply back that either the person is doing poorly or he's doing something else in the raid that's required hence his dps is suffering for it temporarily.

So yeah, really "fun" stuff especially if you never been part of a well managed guild, what seems to be the indication considering your own proclaimed failure raid before 40 mans are even out.
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Ill have to side with Acid on this one, you probably dont have 1 of each class, but you do need a couple of people to spread the responsibilities around, and I agree that you can put your arguments about 40 onto 25 too. It's really about organization and accountability, groups that dont have those are going to struggle no matter what size. ( I have been part of both sizes ;) )
    AcidBaron likes this.
  14. Freja

Freja Cupcake

I'd like to see how 40mans work out before judging one way or another. I absolutely miss 40man raiding in Vanilla WoW. I also think that 25mans in WoW right now are struggling so much due to the direction Blizzard took the game. Honestly, we had less trouble in Vanilla, maintaining a 40-man raiding roster than we did maintaining a 25-man raid roster in the later expansions.

My hope is WildStar attracts the people that enjoy 40-man raiding, most of which stopped playing WoW long ago. It remains to be seen, but we can hope for the best:)
    Milamilou likes this.
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I'll add, that even if you do have a class lead, there still needs to be communication between both him and the raider in question, because the class leader might think he understands something but he may have missed a patch note, or EJ theory or something, and it turns out that the raider is correct and the class lead just didnt have all the information.

Edit - a recent example from Wow is in Cata when Enhance shamans gained more benefit from using a spellpower weapon than an agility based weapon. Many so-called "pro's or leaders" were unaware of that fact, and usually caused issues in a raid if they saw a shaman using that.
  16. Crucifer

That's not true at all. Finding the best players back in the day was a crapshoot and largely depended on server population...god forbid you were on a med-low pop server you probably didn't even have a 40 man raid guild on the entire server and if you did it was just about the only viable raiders you could find. If you we're on high pop you had maybe 3 to 5 raid guilds and getting into one was hell. You had to be a 1% back then to matter otherwise you were pugging MC trash and ony for tier 1 trash loot and your tier 2 helm
  17. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Aye, they need to communicate under themselfs it's a two way street. I communicate with the class leader as the person knows, i want a short, correct and direct answer to my question where a regular raider would discuss the point with me. What is simply not something you can make time for when raiding.
  18. Crucifer

In my guild you were accountable for yourself if you didn't know the fights your ej spreadsheets and rotation...didn't show on time or have the mats you weren't raiding. You own up to messing up and you don't do it twice. We didn't need class leads...we had 1 gm 1 raid lead and 3 officers one for each role...dps, heals and tanks. That's how 25mans ran if you we're top 100.

In 40s you had all class leads cause you brought about 5 or more of each class. 1 gm 1 rl and an abundance of officers usually the clic who considered themselves the core 10 raiders of the 40 man team.
  19. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

We shifted to this model going from BT to Sunwell. When I first joined we were only starting tier 5 and still had class leads. I would have figured role officers were standard with other top 100'ish guilds as well.
  20. Crucifer

The only thing I didn't participate in with my guild was when they wanted to downgrade to 10man to push or clear content. I've never seen 8-10 man content as being a raid or challenging and refused to be considered a care bear raider because something in 25mans got hard. Never my style and I don't ever want to see another MMO have a 10 man raid environment because its not raiding it's just a dungeon with a few more healers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.