1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

A VERY Comprehensive Review for WildStar from a 1%er [WARNING! This is Long!]

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Crucifer, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

How do you feel about the heals also being telegraphs for sustained fights? Since players have telegraphs as skill shots as well, the healers have to be careful where they put telegraphs as well. Telegraphs could also be sped up, and have it disappear a second or two before the actual attack comes. This means you'd have to remember the path on top of aiming your own telegraph. I think they could pull off some interesting combinations with this mechanic if done properly.
    Kataryna likes this.
  2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

When I first saw the telegraphs, I thought the same way that it was "easymode", then as I started looking at more, and reading up on it, I changed my mind and think it can be very challenging later on in levels and end game. I'm willing to check it out in Beta first before I crucify it.

sorry....:roflamo: bad pun
  3. Crucifer

Crucifer Cupcake-About-Town

It's not about being unhappy, its about a sense of fairness. If I am working 10 hours a day, filing all the CEOs paperwork, and scheduling the entire businesses next quarterly meeting. And I get rewarded with a Mercedes C350 from the company as a new company car for my troubles. Then there's Bob the guy who works 9 to 5, takes his hour lunch, and his job is to just file the mail in the mail room each day, gets a Mercedes C300 for his troubles...yeah my car may be slightly faster but looks exactly the same...

You start to feel a bit overworked and really under-appreciated if they feel your quality of work is really not that much better than the guy filing mail.

It's not about being unhappy it's about insulting the people working hard. Not to mention and this is truly something to consider 1%er's do a hell of a lot more for game companies than casuals. They go into every PTR, every beta, every raid dungeon to help get mechanics worked out before launch. They grind zones, tests new quests elder game quest lines all so that when it's launched casuals have something that isn't buggy and nonsense.

These guys are doing a lot more than just raiding harder than you are. They are helping in a lot of the games developer content that casuals can enjoy. Again for very little payoff.
    Demosthenes likes this.
  4. SyberSycho

SyberSycho Cupcake

You're missing his point cause that isn't what he is trying to say. In a simple way he wants to be able to walk into a town and see the different armor and get an idea of what people do. Not everyone is equal in RL and they shouldn't be in an MMO, to an extent as it is based off how hard you work and the time to dedicate to it. MMOs are a world on there own, just like the real world and behave in a similar fashion. If some people could sit on their bums all day and get just as much as someone working there but off than you wouldn't think that was fair. Same thing applies in an MMO scenario and I think that is part of what is trying to be brought to peoples attention in a lot of these types of threads.
  5. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Yes, look at the Inspect thread.

2 other words caught my eye..."life' and "entitled", thats an old card to be playing and doesn't look like that deck is in this game.
    Demosthenes likes this.
  6. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Life isn't fair and neither are games, that's a fact. They aren't designing games to make you feel better about what you do with your life they are designing a game to make money, because it puts food on their tables. If you think that's not a good enough reason to make a game, well you are entitled to have that opinion but money makes the world go round and it all comes back to that.
    Jarinolde and Exodus_31 like this.
  7. Crucifer

This is like saying if you have 500 million dollars you won't start buying nicer things. People who've earned and made millions don't drive hyundais. It's not an insult to people who drive hyundai's its a staple of saying, hey i busted my ass I now get to drive a Ferrari. And yes as a typical casual day to day 9-5er when the Ferrari drives by you take notice...you go "damn" and then you go back to whatever you were doing.

The same effect happens in the old days of MMOs...a guy who busted his ass and got to the top walks by with Thunderfury / Tier 3 gear...you go "Damn" then walk back to doing your 5 man dungeons. It's ignorant to say because you work in the same industry as the Ferrari guy that you deserve a Ferrari too for doing half the work.
    Demosthenes likes this.
  8. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Actually this says everything that needed to be said about your viewpoint.
    The entitlement that folks say casuals have? Pretty much exactly what you seem to be feeling .
    teh_ninjaneer, Goradel and Kataryna like this.
  9. Moor

Moor New Cupcake

Well, that's an absolutely crushingly cynical thing to say.
  10. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Ignorance about Wildstar and the Wildstar Devs was their point. You've seemingly not paid attention to anything that the Devs at Carbine are stating. And you've seemingly not paid attention to the fact that many of them were devs of many many other MMOs (WoW, EQ, CoH, etc etc etc!), and they know where other games went wrong and where they went right. They're part of the industry after all.

And like someone else said above, nearly ALL the videos on youtube are of levels less than 15 where they're teaching your the ropes (for the newbies, and people who've not played WS) and showing you what they're doing with all the telegraphs. So that they're not throwing you into the middle of everything and saying "go, play" and you go "oh shiiiiiiiii!!!! wtf am i supposed to be doing??"
  11. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

It was worded in a way that suggests the problem was with someone else getting something cool, and it's part of a general attitude that takes offense at other people being able to do things. But ok, his particular post that I quoted could be read differently as a complaint about the lack of carrots for harder challenges.

I do think unique cosmetics are a perfectly good way of rewarding the top end content - If you can spare the resources to produce them. Many problems would be solved with unlimited time and money, but alas.

I however do find the analogy of someone working longer hours to be quite silly, as the game should not at any point be likened to work. You're playing a video game. Carrots to make people feel good about completing challenges are great, but completing a challenge should also be rewarding in its own right, because this is a game. So I can't relate to the idea that people who don't 'work' (Read: Play a video game) for as many hours should be considered 2nd class.
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

It gives motivation... do you not want people to be motivated? Everyone likes the shinies, are you claiming that putting in gold challenge mode gear for WoW was a bad idea? Also, your argument makes it sound like your time is more valuable than everyone else's time, which then implies that you are more valuable than everyone else, which makes your argument about arrogance... ironic. In other words, why should it take you less time to get the same gear than that of a player that can and enjoys to play more?
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Also, just to note, as a game developer...there is no way you can market your game the way the W* guys have, and be surprised when you start getting threads like this. Someone else said the hardcore gamers have not really started to arrive yet, so when you throw that call to arms out there in the press, you aren't doing it just for kicks.
  14. Metasine

Metasine New Cupcake

1. This isn't wow op. Similar, but not the same. You can't go oh, "this is how they did it in wow, and this is how they messed it up. So please carbine, if you only do a, b, and c, it will make this game good."

2. There's a lot of terrible design in wow. A lot was in vanilla too. Don't just assume that, "oh this was how it was in vanilla, it must be the best way to do something."

3. Wildstar will doom itself to failure if it tries to be like wow. MMO's succeed when they differentiate themselves from the rest. (GW1, Eve, DAOC, ect)
    Rumze and Kataryna like this.
  15. Crucifer

That's great if Telegraphs were only for levels 1-15...but they want to use them in PvP at Elder Game, PvE in Raids. They want big shiny ground beacons that say "MOVE SON!" to tell me to dodge. Why am I to believe that will be hard to do?

I've seen the mechanic before...it's not really hard to do in raids. Sure, I am highly skeptical...until I get to see it (hopefully in BETA) and weigh in on it at that time...I will remain to say I am not exactly a fan of it.
  16. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

If you have to decide whether to take the heal of the player, versus the damage of the boss, and that heals at the center of the player's telegraph do more healing than on the edge, so you have to more exactly position yourself, while positioning your own telegraph. I think with a tab target system that you can face any way you want +/- 90 degrees, yes easy mode, but with everything being a skill-shot it makes it more difficult.
  17. Moor

Moor New Cupcake

I wonder why you decided to interpret the post, then, in a way that suggests that the OP was whining about other people having nice things?

And no, cosmetics aren't really all that good a carrot for the most hardcore people specifically. I don't really understand why, for some casual players (and I will be a casual player in Wildstar myself!) it is such a horrible idea that someone has better stats than them, when you only really need those better stats to compete in the high end content you as a casual obviously aren't doing, since if you were, you would have that better gear. Especially when speaking of PvE gear which, in more modern MMOs, isn't even all that effective against you in PvP.
  18. Crucifer

I'm not saying it's got to be Vanilla WoW to the T. But W* Devs have said they WANT that old vanilla feeling back again. They want 40 man raids, they want the hardships, they want the epicness. With that comes the prices we paid in the past. The sacrificing casuals QoL cries, to give the game more rewarding essence. I am far from saying WoW is perfect...it never was. But so many people who play MMOs now never got to experience UO, EQ and Vanilla WoW....most are Wrath Babies, and that's ok. It's time to give the Wrath Babies a feel for what all us old school guys keep referencing too when we say "Man I miss Vanilla" and they go "Why?"

I feel if Wildstar does it right...and doesn't ruin their World experience that this game has massive potential. They have the right mindset, it's now time to see if they have the balls not to crack under pressure to take bold steps forward to avoid QoL errors. This will be something we will find out in time.

I will say though if W* has Teleporting, Portals, and Flying Mounts it will likely not be a game many 1%er's will come too. Nor a game I will likely play, or recommend because the world will be ruined. I can't harp on it enough...it's a cancer.
  19. Crucifer

There's video of healing while moving in the new movement video...you can both dodge the telegraph and heal on the go.
  20. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

you'd better leave now, because those 3 things listed are already confirmed as being in the game.
    Haversham and Rumze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.