1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

A VERY Comprehensive Review for WildStar from a 1%er [WARNING! This is Long!]

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Crucifer, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crucifer

Crucifer Cupcake-About-Town

The game is not released yet. Nothing is final, it's not even out of closed beta. Things can change...the point of the 1%er's slowly showing up and harping their opinions is exactly that. To stop problems from launching live that can be detrimental to the end result of the finalized product.
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

But healers have to dodge while healing and placing their telegraphs in places that everyone can get into the telegraphs. and the dps have to dodge out of damage and get into the telegraphs of the moving healer while paying attention to new telegraphs and placement of other people (if it happens to be a placement specific fight). and the tank has to watch for where the healer places a healing pack and not get out of range and not lose aggro. etc etc and so forth.

can you not see how complicated this has the potential to get?? how hard it can be???
  3. Goradel

Goradel Cupcake

An MMO is not your job. Raiding isn't work and gear isn't payment.

The only thing you ever get from video games is entertainment and if you feel that that's not being met and need to be rewarded to continue having fun, you should be blaming yourself for basically slamming your hand in the car door and hoping that the manufacturer will send you a new car for your "troubles."

If you aren't enjoying yourself, stop playing. It's not a job.

Also, I think you have a bit more of an inflated sense of what "1% raiders" really do for the game. Not everyone who is invested heavily into an MMO likes raiding. If you want to help a game, do it because you love the game, but don't act like what is literally volunteer work indebts the developers to you.
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

again, you're missing quotes from Carbine. They don't want to hinder players from getting to content. They want to help people get to the content. They're having x-realm LFG because they want people getting in faster, they added the toggle for same server only because they realized that people want that community of their server. They're doing all sorts of things right in lots of peoples eyes - including the porting and flying mounts.
  5. Crucifer

Exactly what do you think people at Carbine, Blizzard, any MMO developer do?

And yes many of the top 10 raiding guilds are paid by Blizzard to test and help with their content. Many of those same guilds are paid by developers to come in closed betas to help with their games. It happens all the time actually.
  6. Crucifer

Oh boy this is where my heart breaks...

TBC Only sold 3.5 million copies in its initial forecast coupled with the subscribers who stayed in Vanilla and didn't expand the true player base was only around 5 million (excluding gold farming Chinese accounts which Blizzard always pads their subscriber numbers with)

That's less than HALF the peak 12.1 million players that came into MMOs (WoW primarily) in WOTLK which means that 7 million people...the people you are referencing as "doing right in lots of peoples eyes" are the exact Wrath Baby casuals I am trying to avoid from sinking their teeth in and killing another MMO.

Yes they are the majority. Yes they have been catered too and babied since they started MMOs and they don't know what it's like to NOT have Dungeon Finder/Flying Mounts or portals every freaking where. They also don't know what it's like to have a WORLD THAT FEELS ALIVE. They don't know what it's like to actually have to go OUTSIDE the main faction city to play the game.

These are the EXACT people you should not be listening too. The sheer terror if that is the BETA tester group they pulled in for closed beta is a bunch of players from WOTLK and beyond scares me to even consider the detrimental feedback they are pouring into W*'s suggestion box. Because it will sink them.
  7. Goradel

Goradel Cupcake

Uh, they make video games? Notice that they're not marketed as, "Virtual jobs!" where you're paid with, "Virtual clothing!"

They make entertainment. Your reward is being entertained. Video games are a form of entertainment.

Great for those people. Notice that they're actually being hired to actually do a job and receive physical currency. They don't get paid in "favors," and unless you're one of those people, you can't really complain (and they can't either, because they are, again, getting paid in real money).

If you're anything less and you're playing in betas and trying to help test games, you're a volunteer and that's what you agree to be when you agree to the NDA.

You just can't act like you should get preferential treatment in a game because you play it a whole bunch, because that's your own choice, period.
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

You missunderstood me, I was supporting the idea of unique cosmetics, not criticising the idea of better stats. Although I personally don't mind the idea of a game based around increasing mechanic challenges with no gear ladder, the normal incrimental gear ladder can work just fine as long as it doesn't also carry over into competitive PvP. Note that the OP is specifically complaining about the cosmetic aspect of the gear as he doesn't feel a recoloured model with more stats makes him stand out enough. In that case the cosmetics obviously are a relevant carrot to him.
  9. Crucifer

Many times in games players from closed betas get paid in ingame currency / titles / rewards. And with the invention of streaming many gamers have made real life jobs out of playing video games all day. Some of them widely successful full time jobs with 6 figure salaries.

I am still missing your point on this one.

Gear is absolutely a carrot. It is the final reward to show your accomplishments. The Shiny. The Purp. The Legendary.

Without reward why do the task?
  10. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

TBC had a few of those things you are against ( portals and flying mounts ). It is generally talked about as the best out of all of Wow among the more hardcore players. I realize that you might be saying those 2 things "contributed" towards Wrath, but I would say had the Devs stayed on track with TBC and made the next expansion just like it, then it wouldn't be an issue....so it all comes down to staying the course imo.
  11. Exodus_31

Exodus_31 Cupcake

As said in a Gamasutra article on RP communities in MMOs, RPers are the hardest softcore players of a game. They spend a lot of time in the universe to tell their stories, but they don't necessarily blow their way to the Endgame/Eldergame.

So indeed not everyone who is invested heavily into an MMO likes raiding.
    Rumze and Goradel like this.
  12. Crucifer

TBC didn't get derailed because the primary zone you had to spend a large chunk of your time in during TBC (Isle of Quel'Danas) did not have flying mounts accessibility you were restricted to the ground, and thus the game hadn't completely lost its touch with world interaction between the factions. This changed drastically when WOTLK came out...then it was all over.
    Demosthenes and Underz like this.
  13. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I said ignorance of W* and W* Devs (I gave you the benefit of the doubt on being ignorant.), because if you had actually spent any time in this forum you should know that the W* Devs are the Devs that helped create the very MMOs that you are bragging about playing. Also if you had read these forums, you should have found out that many of us have also played these MMOs

You have watched low level and demo play. The players in Stormtalon's Lair would probably have wiped, if the Devs hadn’t cheated a little bit. If you had bothered to read the forum threads you would have read about this.

Again, if you do not like what W* combat is based upon; what are you doing here? This is not going to change, no matter how much more experienced you are over those who are interested in playing the game, and those who are creating the game.
    Kataryna likes this.
  14. Goradel

Goradel Cupcake

This is a venn diagram in your head. Picture with me. Those people who test games and get paid for them, they're in one circle, let's say it's on the left and perhaps a nice orange color. This circle is very small. It has a red border. People who raid a whole bunch and also play in betas? They're on the right. Let's say that they're something of a taupe. This circle is fairly large. This has a black border. These two circles overlap, but they're not the same. Let's say that this overlapping sliver is a chartreuse.

Are we together here? There's a third circle here, and this is where it gets crazy (there are actually more circles, but we're keeping things simple here). This one is on the bottom. This circle is the people who PvP a lot and also test betas. I'm thinking that this circle should be a pleasing mauve color. This circle is also fairly large and has a black border. It overlaps with the other two circles. I won't go into those because they're not really important here.

The orange circle is small because it's a small percentage of people who get paid this way. The taupe circle is large because there are many of people who play this way. The chartreuse circle is even smaller than both, because the number of people who both are huge raiders and get paid for doing so is very small! Note, that the third circle indicates that raiders aren't the only people capable of playing a game a lot and also getting paid for it. The border colors indicate whether or not you've been officially employed to play video games. Red means you're employed, black means you're not.

If you're in the taupe or mauve circles, you don't have a job. No one hired you and you shouldn't expect to be paid. You are playing a video game presumably because you like it. If you play it like a job and aren't having fun, you should either quit, or attempt to find someone to give you money. However, until which time, no one is obligated to give you anything. Unlike the people with the red border, you are literally playing under the pretense that you enjoy what you're doing and not because you expect some sort of remuneration, for whatever reason.

There's a fourth circle now, and it's huge. It's bigger than all these other circles. Like, fifty times bigger. These are the "casuals" and their color and border is really not important. They make the company significantly more money than they make off of you. Like, fifty times the amount.

You're dedicated and they like that, so they'll make stuff for you and have you test it because you're also clearly a very vocal taupe, however, they feed their children off the money they make from the big, casual circle.

Money is pretty influential. People like getting paid, which I'm sure you can relate to. You're basically handing them a "hyundai," as you put it, and the casuals are handing them a "mercedes." They're not going to take the "hyundai" just because you think you're a better friend. It's actually fairly unreasonable for you to act like they should, given that you've just stated that you wouldn't work harder for less pay, yourself. ;)
  15. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Isle of queldanas was end of expansion content.
  16. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Problem's? You mean design decisions.

Telegraphs are in and I seriously doubt they are revamping the combat system this close to launch. Flying Mounts are in and will stay, the uproar if they were removed would be LOUD!

Look, I can relate to your issues, I have some myself when it comes to this game. You either live with them or you don't. But really to call them problems is a bit arrogant, don't you think. And please stop suggesting you are an expert of some kind because you have "been around for a long time"; I'm certain there are many of us on this site that have been around as long or longer, and your assumption that what you think should be done is the only way it can be is laughable at best. I should know I have suggested many things and been laughed at!
  17. Crucifer

While I understand where you feel this makes sense. But, you are missing a massive point that matters above all else. Marketing. Do you know what is currently the best video game marketing strategy in this industry bar none? You might want to say TV Advertisements. Possibly a great paid off review on IGN. But you'd be seriously wrong.

Right now having someone influential (Think like a Pro Athlete in reality) sitting on a stream on Twitch.tv blasting positive hype for your game to 100,000 purely unique viewers (if not possibly more) is the strongest thing you have in this market.

So your 1%er...in his tiny loud taupe...is not only very loud, but he's massively influential in making that 50x larger casual bubble grow and grow for you. So that Mercedes your making off the 50x larger bubble...is actually because the 1%er you didn't pay marketing dollars for freely and positively effected the outcome of your game.

Now for a second think if he negatively effected your game by streaming with gripes and growns about how this is just another SWTOR catering to much to casuals, the world feels desolate and dead, no ones around, everything is sharded off. The same 100,000 unique viewers that you were getting free marketing for are nore 100,000 viewers who will spread the word of their streaming role model. To Reddit, to youtube, to twitter. Your game is dead before it gets two feet out the door in this industry now.

You can't discredit a single 1%er...because his vocal word has the power to effect 100,000x that many casuals these days.
  18. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

Can somebody please ban me before I reply to this thread again?
    Jeuraud, Goradel and Kataryna like this.
  19. Crucifer

I have never once seen a game in closed beta be the same at launch as it was in closed beta when only a small handful (5,000 people if that) have experienced the game. Let alone opinionated on it.
  20. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

but that island came out after BT and Hyjal right? so you feel that portals and flying mounts ruined the majority of BC, and the only good part was the very last few months with the isle and Sunwell?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.