1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

A VERY Comprehensive Review for WildStar from a 1%er [WARNING! This is Long!]

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Crucifer, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goradel

Goradel Cupcake

The 1%ers with money are chartreuse. The taupe people, by your own argument here, are effectively irrelevant because they make no money and no one knows about them or listens to them.

There are also plenty of streamers and youtubers who are a lot less entitled who will plug a game without feeling like they have to be catered to. Not everyone is so vain to try to use their star power to get what they want or try to ruin a game if they don't.

Also, you're overestimating the amount of people who watch streams / youtube gamers. It's a lot, but it's still small, proportionally, and it's mostly kids.

I'd be willing to wager that IGN has more purchase than the majority of popular streamers.
    Huffle Puff, Rumze and Kataryna like this.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Me neither. But, THE combat system IS telegraphs, to scrap that would be to delay the launch by many months, and that is not gonna happen.

By all means voice your concerns, I do and I do it loudly some times, but do it looking for a compromise on features that can be changed. Don't expect features that can't or won't be changed to be changed. Decide if you can live with it or not.
    Kataryna and Rumze like this.
  3. Crucifer

Crucifer Cupcake-About-Town

Of course not. I'm saying like anyone else if I get into a game (Lets say like I did with SWTOR) I was apart of SWTOR's Beta, when the NDA lifted and I could actually talk to my friends IRL about the game. I let them know that it wasn't going to do well. I listed off many of the same things I am concerned about in this thread. And we all played it anyway for a short time frame. It's not bad publicity it's bad game design from listening to the wrong people. Again I'm not saying my opinion matters. I'm saying to be careful of the same pitfall and trap you see time and time again with casuals guiding companies into the ground.

There are obvious things you can see that hurt this industry. Something like flying mounts is a massive one. I believe and I think many in WoW's development team will tell you that it's something you can't turn back from. Blizzcon after Blizzcon they talked about ways to get people back into the world. Every expansion they removed the ability to fly while leveling so that players could actually run into each other in the world. But they eventually had to give flying mounts back...and then poof the world was empty again. Boring, desolate...stale.

It's a massive concern that they need to actually poll A LOT more than a few thousand people in closed BETA about before just saying yep this is what 3500 of our 5000 testers want so were doing it.
    Demosthenes likes this.
  4. AnotherJaggens

AnotherJaggens Cupcake-About-Town

May I intervene? I think flying mounts weren't a good idea. Well, maybe okay for Outland, but definetely not for Azeroth.

Every ground mount were made almost redundant by a choice to make flying mounts work everywhere. Yeah, it made more sense, but it was hard to give up on such a big array of mounts for allowing flying everywhere in Cata. Badass neon goat? Nope, he can't fly, so generic dragon thing.

Still, curious what Carbine doing with their mounts. Maybe they can avoid that bit somehow.
  5. Crucifer

In a way yes...Nothing else about TBC was really that exciting. Sunwell patch made TBC what it was remembered for. Prior to that there really wasn't a lot of greatness about TBC.
  6. McSteezy

McSteezy Cupcake

I strongly agree with most of your points Crucifer, but its only common sense to discard the statement about not catering to the 99%. The 99% is obviously where they get all their money, and these guys deserve to get paid and support themselves. But catering to the 99% doesn't mean compromising challenge, or undermining perseverance that only the 1%er's show. I feel like WildStar is going about this in an amazing way, with how they're treating elder games. Although forcing world PvP while leveling is a great idea, other games have set a precedent that can't be easily overlooked... and would make a lot of people angry if it was. BUT Elder Games are exclusively max level and includes some amazing things for casual and Hardcore players alike.

Now, lets talk Warplots. Oh, goodness... one of the best ideas I've ever heard. This is where the separation of PvE and PvP is mended... A war party (Guild like structure that owns the warplot) can capture a raid boss, and use it... for PvP. CAPTURE A FREAKIN' RAIDBOSS. This is amazing news for hardcore gamers, because I guaran-freakin-tee you that this won't be easy. Meaning that the people who put time into their PvE, can in turn utterly destroy in their PvP... if they put the required time into PvP as well. Where as casual players will probably never have the chance to have these insanely powerful warplots, and can just stare in awe at the awesomeness that the Hardcore war party worked hard for.
  7. Crucifer

Turning off a ground effect won't take months worth of work. You can keep the telegraph boss animations get rid of the glowing ground effects.
  8. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

You really need to stop stating this as fact. It is a subjective fact at best, more like an opinion. One I disagree with. The reason the world felt barren was because the lower levels were? A large % of players at that time were at level cap.

Seriously? You really think that's all it would take to redesign the combat system? Because remove the "ground effect" doesn't change the combat. If you just remove the effect and have us watch for animations there would be a small minority of us who would like that challenge and that's definitely not good business. Now a toggle to turn of the ground effect for those who want it might work.
  9. Crucifer

You'd be really wrong. I don't underestimate anything. Just the other day I believe it was Wickd or someone had over 120,000 concurrent unique viewers watching him stream. Thats not over a course of an entire stream thats at one singular moment his over entire stream period would of probably been upwards 300,000. Imagine if he made a remark about W* that wasn't positive to that many people...that remark gets posted on Reddit, Twitter, Youtube...it spreads like wildfire.

These Pro Gamers now have far more influence than any IGN article.
  10. Goradel

Goradel Cupcake

How many concurrent viewers does IGN have? How many unique hits do they get on a given day? Do you even know?

With that, I say goodbye to this thread. My forehead is sore.
  11. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I just want a good hardcore game that gives me something to aspire to while still being having content for everyone.
    I think we can all agree with that.
    We may differ on the nitty gritty but we all want it to be successful .
    with that I'm off to bed.
    Kaldina, Drarorm, SyberSycho and 2 others like this.
  12. Crucifer

Then you don't remember Vanilla WoW to much. When 60s were out and around low level zones, traveling through them, causing ruckus at crossroads, or ashenvale as they passed by. Or you don't remember the helping out peoples alts in stranglethorn vale because a bunch of 60s showed up to fight each other at Camp Nesingwary.

These things didn't happen after flying mounts...why? Because they didn't need too...you just flew over zones as if they didn't exist so there was no reason to stop and interact with anyone. The zones themselves became baron because no one bothered to actually go below the clouds into the zones.

Then it went even further and they made Dungeon / Raid Finder now you didn't even need to fly ...you could sit in orgrimmar all damn day and just teleport poof...right to where you needed to be. I honestly believe you could delete 95% of the world map in WoW right now and just leave Orgrimmar, Stormwind and MoP and it would have 0 effect on anyone or anything. Because no one actually leaves these zones.

Flying mounts are a fact. They contribute to negatively impacted results. That is 100% certainty.
  13. AnotherJaggens

AnotherJaggens Cupcake-About-Town

No.

No.

Okay, you got this one.

No.

Now fight me!
    Mudfin likes this.
  14. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I remember Vanilla very well, to suggest this all changed due to flying mounts again is subjective. I would say you started seeing less in less due to the very challenging content that TBC offered. Less alts, or those alts were power leveled to cap to experience said content. See, that's my opinion and like yours is not based on any relevant facts.

Flying mounts are a fact in WS, you are correct. The rest of it is an opinion, now that is a fact.
    Kataryna likes this.
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I can live without the flying mounts or portals, its doesnt matter to me one way or the other, I was just curious how you viewed TBC. I have a different view in that I enjoyed the entire thing and that's the template I would have stayed with, I think I would feel the same if there had not been f-mounts or portals, and so I'm sure I could adapt if W* didnt have them either.
  16. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

but Carbine are adding stuff into the lower level zones so that high level people have a reason to go back to those zones on off days from raiding so that the world is still populated!! have you not read this??? have you not seen them say this?????
    Mudfin likes this.
  17. Crucifer

I am off to bed. I will catch up with this thread tomorrow. :D

Great, so they go down gank a lowbie then go back up into the air and sit there completely protected...

Oh no the lowbie called in for faction help! Hero level 60s arrive to protect lowbie.

Nope! Just fly higher.

World PvP just died, faction interaction just died, the entire purpose of sending someone back to a lowbie zone...just died.

Thank you flying mounts! Savior of all things interaction based in the world. Why would I ever want to land on the ground for god sakes there's actually people down there!
  18. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

you can't gank a lowbie in a lowbie zone. unless they're already flagged for PvP. Even on a PvP server - they're safe zones. did you read that thread?? go find it, by CRB_Bardic PvP Guru-ess of Carbine.

in other words: read all the things!!!!! :D don't just assume they don't know what they're doing.
    Marv, Goradel, Jeuraud and 1 other person like this.
  19. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

It's really worthless to go into battlegrounds at level 10 to 20 and fight 'twinked' level 20's. Its just not fun and it's a waste of time. When you go into one of those situations at lvl 10, you're basically have as much chance as a human sacrifice being thrown into a volcano.

Dedicated PVP battlegrounds should be for those that are at max level where skill wins the game. Using that football analogy...the battlegrounds should be the equivalent to the NFL. Getting to play in the 'NFL' should be a tortuous and long road.

That doesn't mean that you couldn't have friendly football games with your rivals, but they should be because of unexpected encounters, or 'issued' challenges by players. PvP before max level should be happy accidents or shocking surprises.

BTW...I love flying mounts. I love seeing the world from a birds eye view as well as running over each segment. :)
    Goradel likes this.
  20. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

well, then Battlegrounds are those "casual games" for your sake. Arenas would then be College Football. and Warplots would then be your "NFL Football"!
    Alverad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.