1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

A WildStar Companion (App)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CriSPeH, Sep 27, 2013.

?

Companion App for WS?

1. Sure I love Apps and always want to be connected to the game wherever I am!

44.0%
  2. NO WAY, I hate this App fad and all features should just be in the game, not on a device!

14.0%
  3. Depends on the features, I don't vote on things without all the info!

38.0%
  4. These choices suck and don't reflect my superior thoughts which I will explain below!

4.0%
  1. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

There is nothing stopping anyone else creating this app considering Carbine is fully supportive of people making addons etc for Wildstar. Something like Armoury mobile guildchat etc is fine. Helps if you cant make it to a raid / running late etc.
  2. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

We don't have the EULA and ToS yet, but I'm willing to bet we won't be allowed to make our own apps that communicates with the servers. Even if you could make the app end of it, there's no way they'd give you direct access to the chat servers and a list of the protocols you'd need to communicate with them. Way too many security issues.
  3. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

Yea true. I daresay they wont have an app at launch but it probably wont take them long to knock one up once everything is up and running with the game :)
  4. WRYWOOD

WRYWOOD New Cupcake

Why so serious? Why not have a app where you can tend to your house, doing the daily harvest thingy that they've shown, have access to the guild chat or a raid planer. Heck why not make us able to trade/sell stuff on the broker?
    Or just random related mini games like dota 2's void goes farming/invoker trainer/meathook trainer but for wildstar?

For those who have not seen the above examples:
    VGF:
    IT: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75495922/InvokerTrainer.htm
    MHT: http://weneedwards.com/meathook/
  5. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

Harvesting and using the auction house/broker would be giving you an edge over other players who do not use these silly apps. It would give you an edge by allowing you to harvest materials and buy equipment without actually logging into the game. If you want to do that stuff, you can wait until you get home from work or school. This is my opinion anyway.
  6. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think it would give you anykind of edge because you are doing things you could also do in game.
    You would most definitely have to log in to the app to complete the tasks so really it would give mobile/casual players a better chance at keeping up with the ones who can stay glued infront of their PC all day.

Lots of great points made so far and it seems most people are in the same boat, which is Apps are fine as long as they don't have exclusive content that cannot be obtained in-game. This is something I very much agree with and I hope in the future more games that have companion apps will adopt this way of thinking.

GTA V is a very awesome game but I do find it very annoying that unless you get the iFruit app you cannot train your dog and miss out on a little mini-game aspect. I don't see why the features couldn't be added into the game and the app would just be a way to access them from mobile devices.

Since MMORPG's are such large time hungry games and not everyone has the opportunity to stay logged in for vast amounts of time I think companion Apps can be a great tool to help casual players keep a connection with their online community. Things like Chatting, Updates, AH browsing (<-not buying) and house interaction are all awesome App ideas. I also think its a good chance for things like Quest reviews or reading collected Lore since those things are usually skipped by most when playing.

Thanxs for the replies!:)
  7. WRYWOOD

WRYWOOD New Cupcake

It doesn't give any advantage what so ever as you can easily get the same result from playing normaly.
  8. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

"These options suck[...]" (Because being nice is for Exiles.)

...Because there is no "I don't care either way" option - which IS a thing that every poll should have, really.

I don't have a smartphone nor the intention on getting one. If people like it, why not? I don't care. Have fun feeding your rowsdower, I guess?
  9. Jabberwocky

But it does give you an edge because you can harvest materials and make money without being at your PC.

MMORPG's aren't meant for everyone and unnecessary things shouldn't be implemented just because someone cannot spend as much time in the game as others.

You might not be able to get that awesome item in the auction house that someone really under-priced because you are not logged into the PC. That is the way it should be.
  10. WRYWOOD

WRYWOOD New Cupcake

With that mentality we should also ban the use of laptops as you can achieve pretty much the same thing with them while being only a bit less convenient.
    Furthermore having a good app would actually help the game in the long run as one of the biggest reasons people start hating a game is when you get "forced" into doing stuff other then what you would like to do.
    Being able to do those smaller things like tending to you lawn and doing those daily harvests, or planing that raid your going to have later on the week on your way home from work instead of when you get home tired and would just want to do some quests, pvp, dungeons or simply have fun with some friends would make a lot more people sticking to the game instead of getting burned out or simply loose interest due to having a feeling that the game is turning into a chore instead of a game.
    A big reason I stopped playing mmo's as of late is just because of these boring daily things that take up time I could have spent having fun.
    It's like if dota told you that you have to spend an hour or two solo practicing last hitting every day before letting you play real games.
  11. Jabberwocky

Are you serious? A laptop is no different than playing on a desktop. Now you are just being ridiculous.

You are NOT forced to do the smaller things such as harvesting or planning raids and if you feel forced to do those optional things, maybe MMO's aren't the right genre for you.

I don't have a problem with browsing the auction house(no option to purchase items), managing guild details, or even mini-games like petting and feeding your pet rowsdower like a tamagotchi.

It is when you add things to apps that involve your character being in the game that bugs me. You have to be in the game to harvest your stuff and you have to be in the game to buy/sell items on the auction house.

If you want to do things that are beneficial to your character, do it when you can get on your PC and log in to WildStar.

This is MY opinion and in no way meant to troll or offend anyone.
  12. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

My thought would be that since your housing nodes can be harvested by your friends when you aren't on, (least I think that's wht I remember) an App allowing you to do it remotely would just replace the need to have your friends do it. So its kind of a win for everyone.

Those with lots of friends don't have to worry about doing it through an App and their friends can enjoy a bonus.
    Those without friends have an option to get those xtra harvests when they are away and can enjoy the fact that now they are their own friend!:sneaky:

That should be the goal of a companion App, not to fully replace any ingame features you have but to give you access to some of those features when you are out grinding in RL. The fact that a person doesn't have as much time as they would hope to spend in an MMO is a perfect example of why other options should be made available, especially when you take into account that whether you can play for 2 hrs or 20 hrs a day you still gotta pay the same sub fee!
    WRYWOOD likes this.
  13. WRYWOOD

WRYWOOD New Cupcake

Yes I'm serious, why do you see doing something minor on a phone/tablet so much worse then doing it on a laptop?

Why not buy? Imagine this scenario, you're on your way home and you manage to see a cool item on the ah that you would want to buy. Now there are two possibilities:

1, You can only see it but not buy it so you start hurrying home in hope of managing to buy that awesome item that you so want, sadly when you come home you see that some other person bought right under your nose. You rage, feel sad and get a bit off put on playing that day or at least you'll be grumpy and maybe take it out on other players in the game.
    As you can see this is clearly something bad for the game in the long run .

2, You see it and you can buy it, all the way home you'll feel really well and you quickly get home so you can try that sweetass new weapon out and you'll be in a great mood that even that failure of a tank can't take away from you.
    This is something positive for the game.

Why exactly do you have to loose on making the daily minigames of your lawn available on the go? People that want to do them normally can do them that way, people with busy lives will be less likely to get burned out or turned away as you can do your daily chores at times where you have nothing better to do like while being on lunch-break, or on the way home or heck even when taking a dump and can use the limited time they have in the game doing things that actually matters.

And I like mmo's at a core, I like doing dungeons/quests with friends being social in cities, engaging in pvp in the world or in battlegrounds. But and there's a quite a big but in the mmo genre that is pulling it down, it's the fact that most mmos try to make the game last in the wrong way. A game should last because it's fun to play and you want to play it, end of story. Sadly most mmo's try to make their games last by dragging it out, making it a grind, using the skinners box etc.
    I don't know about you but when I post feedback on a forum about a game yet to be released I try to make it the best game it can be, and for wildstar to be that game it needs to stop with these cheap tricks and actually try and make something that you want to play rather then have to play.
    And in my honest opinion having a app where you can do most of the tedious stuff instead of wasting peoples game time will help wildstar become that game.

For an example of a game that gets this I can easily point out my all time favorite game Dota, there's 0 time sink, there 0 dragging out, there 0 chores. You only play when you want to play, there's no grind, there's no carrot on a stick, you can play it once a year and still be as good as a person that plays it 8 hours a day. And still it's one of the most played games in the world, heck I've played over 2000 hours of it this year alone and I still play it most days of the week with the only reason of it being a great game that I enjoy playing.

An explanation of these cheap tricks most mmo's use can be viewed here:
  14. Jabberwocky

If you can't put in the time at your computer, you don't deserve any of the perks. That is my opinion.
  15. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

Ditto! As long as it doesn't give an in-game advantage.

Depending upon the app, I'd use it....or not.

Things like character database, armory, etc are ok.
  16. eldritchTwitch

eldritchTwitch New Cupcake

For me personally, it's less about getting things done, and more about "getting my fix" so to speak. When I'm stuck at work and desperately want to play Wildstar, I would want something that can help hold me over until I can get home. I'd be looking for more aesthetic things, like reviewing my inventory, looking at character models, reading collected lore, and looking at quests I have and the like. Chat options would be nice, but mostly I just want to be able to see what I've got, and remind myself of what I've accomplished in game.