1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Accessibility Discussion

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Praiz, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

I don't disagree the content can be equally difficult. My issue lies with the repercussions that come from that style. Bring the player not the class ruined the game for me. You're not acknowledging that some people prefer niche roles.
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Then we have to agree to disagree then.
    Choop likes this.
  3. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

I don't think niche roles are excluded from 10 man style content, to be honest. There's more than enough room for a wide variety of tools to be brought to the table with ten different people.
  4. Drasas

Nonsense. Blizzard stated that the direct changes to Holy Paladins and their healing style resulted from the need to relax the requirement for them to be in every raid. They couldn't expect every 10-man raid to include a Holy Paladin so they were homogenized along with all the other healers. Buffs couldn't be counted on from multiple classes in 10-man raiding so for the sake of fairness they spread the buffs out and removed the utility DPS role from the game entirely. Classes that did 10%/15% less damage, but made up for it and then some with group buffs were now considered to be "on par" with pures.
  5. Naunet

There's actually still a fair amount of buff segregation in WoW. It's something the raiding guild I lead (yes, we did 10s) had to work around constantly. I imagine it's still something they're dealing with, though I had to leave several months ago to take an extended break to deal with graduate school and personal issues. So I don't think classes have become as homogenized as you seem to think in that game.
  6. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

If you are looking for raids that are going to casual friendly and a walk in the park, I really don't think that Wildstar is going to your go-to-game for raiding. It has been said many times before that the raiding in W* is meant to be designed for the hardcore/complex type of players.

Jeremy Gaffney actually said this in an interview:

"We don't walk a tightrope: we're very willing to throw ourselves right off it. It's the hardcore that matters in the long haul. If you don't appeal to the hardcore, you've got no one to get up to the high level. It's not us, you know? We're hardcore gamers. First and foremost, it's to appeal to those complex gamers, those players that want the depth, and if we can make it so we're not scaring off players that are new to it, rock on. That's cool by us.
    "Most important are the gamers. But we're important too. If we get bored of our game we'll make a <REDACTED> game. There's no tightrope: it's the hardcore first, honestly."
    Kataryna likes this.
  7. Drasas

I think you fail to understand where I'm coming from. Niche roles are dead in Warcraft. They started being killed off at the end of BC. Elemental, Boomkin, Enhancement, Feral, etc. Buffs got spread out. Classes started to become far more similar. The complexity of the raid composition dropped dramatically.
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. Naunet

Please point out to me where in my posts I've said that I want raids to go "casual friendly" and "a walk in the park".

I've actually said the exact opposite. I want balls-breakingly difficult raids with reasonable player number requirements (such as 10).
  9. Drasas

20-man is more than reasonable. In fact demanding such a small sized raid would have been unthinkable within the genre before Warcraft went super casual.
  10. Gempulse

I apologize, then. I tend to associate 10-man raiding to being a somewhat casual style of raiding, because I've never seen a 10-man raid that is actually exceedingly difficult. Zul'Aman in the Burning Crusade was the closest 10-man to achieving that vision, though.

Many players still prefer large-sized raiding content (40-man) and there are plenty other games that a player can explore to get their small-group raiding fix, if they so choose. As a matter of fact, I actually decided to start following this game solely based on the fact that they are bringing back 40-man raids.

There are currently no games that go the route of 40-mans, and I welcome the rebirth of them excitedly.
    Kataryna and Drasas like this.
  11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Hear Hear! :D
  12. Naunet

Perhaps the disconnect occurring between us is a differing perspective in how we treat the entity of "a guild". To me, a guild is a lot more than just a tool to experience content. It's a family. It's people I spend a large amount of my time, often daily, with, who I share life experiences with, who I've grown fond of. Many of these people I will invite to my wedding. I've only been able to forge these kinds of deep, meaningful relationships in smaller guilds. I don't want to be forced to sacrifice that enduring social connection just to experience the challenging content that I want to experience. Can you understand that? I'm not actually a very casual person at all when it comes to MMOs. I play them constantly. I do everything I can to make sure my characters are the best they can possibly be. But to me, the experience is incomplete without that close family connection.

I just don't feel like that kind of thing is possible in the large group sizes these raids will require, and that's very saddening.

I am in no way advocating for the removal of 40 man raids, because I can totally understand enjoying them. Everyone is different! I would just like the option of 10s.
  13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

You can always make an alliance with other guilds. Plenty of guilds did just that in vanilla WoW. One, you won't loose your tight knit 'family' guild and two, you will be able to do the bigger raids. Win Win.
    Gempulse likes this.
  14. Naunet

That's a good point. With out unified roleplay communities tend to be, I could see that as a viable option. :)
  15. Drasas

Or... *gasp* Make more friends. If I called anybody I raided with in my BC/Wrath guild right now and asked to crash on their couch they would invite me in with open arms.
    Kataryna likes this.
  16. Gempulse

There are already five-man dungeons, twenty-man raids and forty-mans; I personally think that this set up is perfect. Five-man dungeons to get the gear needed to progress to twenty-mans, then to forty-mans. If you were to add in 10 mans, might as well add in fifteen-mans for people who prefer them, as well. Why not twenty five-mans while we're at it? At what point does adding every size that every player wants become too saturated? Appealing to every kind of player is impossible, and W* is trying to appeal to the players who like large-scale raiding.

Like I said, there are plenty of MMOs out there for players who like 10-mans. I'm not saying that I don't think you should play this game, because I think you should! I just don't think the raiding is going to your cup of tea. :(
    Kataryna likes this.
  17. Drasas

Or perhaps he/she could make some new friends. Meet new people socialize in what's supposed to be a social game built around a large community. You don't have to look at it like it's going to be terrible and that you aren't going to have anything to do. All you have to do is be willing to meet new people and make new friends and allies.
    Kataryna and Gempulse like this.
  18. Naunet

No need to be snarky, Drasas. :p
    Black Wolf likes this.
  19. Cassp

Cassp Cupcake

Carbine is making their game, not ours. The current direction they have, i love and if they were going in some casual friendly approach to raiding i would be far less interested.
  20. Gempulse

If the raiding is not long-lasting and truly difficult, I can't see myself playing for long to be honest. My hopes for W* are riding on whether or not the endgame has enough challenging content to provide me a real sense of progression and prestige.

Edit: From what I have gathered it sounds like this game will have just that: more than enough challenging content to keep me hooked.