1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Active Blocking for Tanks (and possibly others)

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Clowne, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

What do you guys think of having a Block skill for some tanks, one that's used actively to mitigate or negate damage instead of just having the passive ability to block bullets with your face? I've said it before in another thread I started in this forum, but the old ways of tanking frustrate me. I can't stand being able to stand there and just take hits like they're nothing. Some part of that fails to make sense to me, being the punching bag so my party doesn't get hit. Don't get me wrong, I love tanking. I like the feeling of defending my allies and keeping them safe while also being the big tough guy that pisses off the monster. I just want that big tough guy to either be constantly dodging attacks a la Monster Hunter (which we have) or blocking with some kind of shield or his weapon.

I could see blocking being done by magical classes too, or others. I just don't see it happening for someone like the Spellslinger unless their instant runes can stop swords, bullets, and monster claws.
    Ibslihibovic and nomotog like this.
  2. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I feel as if I have seen this idea somewhere. ;) I like it. Though I whould also add the detail that you should only have to block the big attacks, not every attack because that would get annoying. I have even been musing on a few active block skills. One idea I had was for a block skill to create a safe zone behind you where your group could huddle and become as protected as you.
    Khrusky likes this.
  3. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

I highly dislike active blocking and hope it isn't implemented
    kyrie1896, Devorak, Morggause and 2 others like this.
  4. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

It wouldn't bother me either way, but having a block or number of block skills would depend on the amount of active abilities we can at any given point.
  5. Vhiral

Vhiral Cupcake-About-Town

Active blocking seems like a more exciting way of tanking, but it might be hard to do. Because through the videos I have seen of the game play and the combat. It seems that creatures have a generic swat attack that gives off no telegraph, and then the rest of the attacks are more powerful telegraphed attacks. So it may be hard to actually use an active block. The things is I am quite sure of is that WS doesn't want tanking to be boring, so I am pretty sure it won't just be two piles of meat hitting each other. There will be much more movement, and kiting in tanking. Just because they can do so many awesome things with the telegraph system.
    Ibslihibovic likes this.
  6. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

Could be interesting and more challenging or could be a fail, its a matter of try it and get some feedback.
    Whatever, Im not gonna be a tank..
  7. TheBee

TheBee New Cupcake

I agree with SneakyBuffalo. I don't like active blocking, but I never liked "action mmos" before either because they were pretty bad compared to normal hotbar mmos. They've really improved the concept lately so who knows? Maybe Wild Star will revolutionize active blocking and make it fun.
  8. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

Haha, yeah, I know I brought up stuff like this in my Warden thread not too long ago, but I wanted to separate the discussion instead of making a class idea into a commentary on tanking. Anyway, I don't think active blocking should be the only way a tank can mitigate damage, just one for big attacks, like you said. It could be used for the little ones too, if you're willing to block that much, but you do have a healer for a reason. Other skills should compliment it, such as a damage reduction skill, health regen, lifesteal, etc. Also, I like that skill idea! That seems to be the way tanking should go, defending your allies, not just being a damage sponge. It also supports a telegraph, which makes it even better. Probably one of the few ways a skill would end up telegraphing behind you instead of in front.

Could you perhaps support your stance like The Bee did after you? Also, Wildstar looks to be moving towards a hybrid of hotbar and action MMO, since you'll be moving around a lot more due to the telegraphs, and some interviews stated that while you can build to tank a lot of things, those big boss attacks will have to be dodged. So you can't just play this like an old hotbar one where you play Rock'em Sock'em Robots until someone's head pops off.
  9. nomotog

Well I also briefly touched on the idea of a blocking tank in a different thread. Great minds think a alike. ;) So I think you want to be able to active block every attack? I think this might be where we differ. I picture block powers working on a cool down, so you can only block the important stuff. Using a block on a basic attack might leave you without a block to use on that big one coming up. I think it would be more tactical that way. If you can block every attack, then why don't you?

I have other skill ideas too.

Buzsaw block. This would be a block mixed with an attack. You block the telegraph an you deal damage to everyone in melee contact to you.

You could also have blocks that heal or build argo. I actually think there should be no 'basic' block. Every block should do a little something extra on top of blocking, so you can't just say "I want to block." and leave it at that. You have to look down the line and figure what else do I need besides a block.
  10. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I don't care for action combat and therefore blocking too much. So far in games like GW2 action combat is just "busy", it's not any harder than standing there like most MMOs. I understand people like it primarily due to the fact they feel like they are doing something more, but in essence they are not. Plus, for me the combat of GW2 has been some of the easiest I have played (not a good thing for me) and the videos of WS seem to show a similar style.

I'll take standard combat with dodge/block ratings over bouncing around for no real reason.
  11. nomotog

How do you feel about WS including bouncing around as a core gameplay mechanic? The combat is active. We can hope it's also tactical and strategic too.
    Mudfin likes this.
  12. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Have you played TERA? If the more difficult combat scenarios of Wildstar play out like those of TERA it will certainly be harder than games that don't require you to actually dodge to avoid damage.

I'd actually recommend anyone who doesn't have a firsthand knowledge of active blocking in an MMO [and who wants one] to try TERA out, specifically the Lancer class.
  13. Caedos

Caedos New Cupcake

The thing that's been stuck on my mind is rather how we will be needing the holy trinity, considering the fact that there are telegraphs and active dodging. If everyone knows how to play and dodges the enemies attacks, what will we be needing tanks and healers for at all?
    Mudfin likes this.
  14. Taters

Taters Cupcake

There will have to be unavoidable damage. Otherwise everything is technically soloable if you have enough time. Also, imagine attacks that are AoE and locked on whoever has aggro. So someone HAS to get hit but most others can move behind the boss (for example).
  15. Taters

Taters Cupcake

And dear god the knockdowns....the devs find ways to make sure that you can't dodge everything.
  16. Caedos

Caedos New Cupcake

I really hope that's the case, cause of what I've seen so far, pretty much every attack has a telegraph.
  17. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

Well even then, you have limited stamina for dodging, so you won't be able to get out of the way of everything.

I don't mean for it to necessarily be available to every attack, but I'd prefer it tied to a resource, like shield strength, mana, or stamina, instead of a cooldown. Also, blocking every attack means you're not putting out damage or increasing your threat. I do support blocks that do different things, but I don't want to see it end up like Guild Wars 2 where I can only block every twenty seconds. No offense to that game, as I do still enjoy it, but there was something wrong when I could block more often on my Mesmer than on my Guardian.
    Taters and moneda like this.
  18. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Well, as stated, not that excited (the combat and in game database are the only features that give me pause). But I definitely hope it is strategic and tactical. If I need to bounce and wait (as displayed in the early videos) then hopefully there will be things to notice, terrain to manage, etc..

I admit I don't like the sound because my only real experience is with GW2 and they took away the trinity and used action combat and other mechanics to replace it. That was boring in PvE. I'll just have to see how it works here. Just not a fan.
    nomotog likes this.
  19. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

I think the idea is intriguing to think about, but would be very boring and eventually tiring if implemented into active play.
  20. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

I think it would be more boring to just stand there and take hits while building up buffs and shouting at the monster about how you slept with its mother so it will attack you. Still, I respect your opinion.
    Solomon Hans and Mudfin like this.