1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Active Blocking for Tanks (and possibly others)

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Clowne, Feb 18, 2013.

1. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

That would have to be something to work out in testing. I kind of picture each block having it's own cool down, so you can have 3 blocks on cycle. Also block would be a class skill, not something that everyone can do. Like a esper might not get any blocks, or at least not any blocks they can use on themselves.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Okay, I definitely like a different style of combat than you but I pictured myself telling the giant pig monkey how I slept with his mother. Made me laugh!
  3. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

Tanks really have enough to worry about if the fights are designed well as far as positioning, maintaining Agro, popping CDs, picking up adds, phasing, and any other tank mechanics go, especially compared to DPS.

Also, rotating between offense and defense isn't fun to me
    Auryn likes this.
  4. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

Then you may not like Wildstar, as you alternate between attacking enemies and defending by running the heck out of an incoming AoE. A block just breaks up your attacking for a second. Also, most classes have to worry about positioning, cooldowns, managing adds, and making sure they don't die, at least if the fights are designed well, as you said. Aggro and damage mitigation are tank mechanics in most games, but they're really not hard to handle or a lot to worry about. Also, do remember that Carbine said they don't want you playing the UI, so a lot of that may go away. Perhaps this isn't the game for you?
  5. Sneakybuffalo

Wow, really, perhaps this isn't the game for you?

Movement based combat and active blocking are COMPLETELY different styles of play.

I'm sorry but reply when you are less pretentious and have a real point to make.
  6. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

I won't continue this mindless bickering, and I apologize if my point was offensive, but can we perhaps keep this civil? I see moving out of the way or using a dodge the same as actively using an ability to defend. You see blocking as breaking up your entire rotation of button smashing. We obviously disagree, and perhaps we should leave it at that and not fill this thread with bickering. I am sorry for attacking your point, but I wanted to continue the discussion. If you'd like to continue trying to make me see it your way, I fully support you in doing so! Just back up your claims, and if they are rock solid I will believe you.
    Solomon Hans likes this.
  7. nomotog

Are you sure they are that different? Really active blocking isn't too far away from dodging. It's kind of like dodging with out direction. Things are even less different when you view at blocking as a form of interrupt.

Though your original point has a point. A third form of attack negation might be the straw that brakes the tanks back. Personally I would rather see some of the other tank stuff get easier to make room for blocking.
  8. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Having played this weekend at the Arkship event as a Warrior, I saw no active blocking as a feature. However, you could interrupt a telegraphed attack from a mob by using a stun/knockdown/knockback while their ability was charging up - done successfully the mob would be temporarily stunned and you got bonus Interrupt XP on kill (if I recall correctly).

I've used active blocking in Champions Online and while I don't dislike the system, I'm not a major proponent for it either.
    Solomon Hans, moneda and TheBee like this.
  9. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I tried Mists of Pandaria more "active" block tanking and loathed it. That wasn't even a "dodge" system where your character was rolling out of the way, but it was a mandatory button press to keep up a buff so you wouldn't get whack-a-moled to death. Requiring more active blocking mechanics seems unnecessary when most tanks all ready have the hardest job in the group. It's usually the one role that causes people to wait in LFG queues forever. I really don't think that adding an active block is going to make the role more enticing for tanks. It's another mechanic that is simply too easy to screw up.
  10. nomotog

They always mention interrupting right after they mention dodging. So maybe it will be dodge tank and interrupt tank. Though I kind of wonder if they tried blocks and found they didn't work, or if they haven't tried them. I would find it really surprising if they didn't even toy around with powers that would resemble a block.
  11. TheBee

TheBee New Cupcake

Like Zap-Robo said I'm most familiar with active blocking from Champions Online which is why I don't like active blocking.

Glad to hear it doesn't sound like it'll be showing up in WildStar. Using Interuppts sounds way more fun to me than holding the block button till its my turn to attack again.
  12. Sneakybuffalo

Just don't dismiss people by saying this isn't the game for them. All that does is say "you aren't welcome here, nor are your opinions."

Also, you make judgements, put words into others mouths and use a very negative tone which isn't conducive to active discussions.

Just try to be more mindful when posting, that's all.

My claims are that tanks already have a lot going on

And that I don't like active blocking play styles.

There really isn't anything else to it.
  13. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

We good in here? Yes? Okay then.

*eyes everyone suspiciously*
  14. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

I'd guess you're more likely to see active blocking in The Elder Scrolls Online than Wildstar.
  15. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

I used active block in AION, but it was supplementary to the tank's mechanics.

You have skills where you can raise your shield out in front of you, during which time you can only auto attack and move (but no jumping). It's a toggle skill, 12 sec CD, which massively boosts your block stat +1000, and other versions of it can add reflect damage, resistance to magic etc.

You don't need to use it, and you can build your stats so that your block value is overpowered without it, but it is useful and gives you a gameplay option - less block on gear, and more use of active block, or more block on gear, and more focus on dps (or other stat).

A video of it in action.
    So you know what you're looking at, the lowbie tank is in an animation where his shield is held in front of him. The flashing skills on the skillbar are skills that are activating when he blocks. (If he uses one of them, the player will lower the shield, go back into normal stance and end the active block.)
    Draogon likes this.
  16. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

I meant that by your last point about not wanting to rotate offense and defense, I figured you might not enjoy Wildstar. As for my other actions, I am deeply sorry. They are inexcusable, but they can be explained, at least. Bad habits from my time over at the Guild Wars 2 Guru before the game launched. We tossed ideas freely there, dreaming up classes and races while also discussing mechanics and what we loved and hated about MMOs. It was friendly for a while, then the Domin- erm, the pricks showed up. Aside from a massive group of trolls, we also had people that wanted the game to be WoW 2.0, GW1.5, or DaoC 2.0. That conflicted with many of the hopeful fans that wanted to see a new game innovate and get rid of the things that frustrated them in other MMOs, and it trained us to be hostile and viciously defend our threads so we could get some active discussion in before a troll or a fanboy showed up. So I apologize for running my usual routine, I'm trying to break that habit. Also, I'm glad to see a mod show up and point out they're watching (also glad to see Zap-Robo, don't get me wrong). That almost never happened at the Guru. Good work guys!

That seems like a good way to do it. I don't necessarily want blocking to be a requirement, just an option for those of us that prefer it. Anyway, seems like at least the Warrior doesn't block, and I doubt the Stalker does, but maybe we'll see another class that can? Honestly I'm happy with tanking being more active and mobile period, and I mean more than playing hotbar whack-a-mole. Counters, interrupts, blinds, dodges, all of those things sound good for a tank in my opinion. It makes you a protector, not just a damage sponge, and I guess that's what I'm aiming for.
  17. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

I much prefer this way of doing things, emergency cool downs for tanks are far better than having to continuously use active block.
    Recruiter and nomotog like this.
  18. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with draogon, it's not fun at all to just block all the time, long/short coold0wns is the best way to keep the fight interesting for the tanks :d
    Draogon and nomotog like this.
  19. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

If anyone would like to see a game where there is both active blocking AND telegraphs movements to get people to jump out of attacks, check out F2P Neverwinter. The Gaurdian Fighter actually is well done, I think, with a reactive blocking system that allows you to build certain abilities up the more damage you manage to block and soak up.

However, just stand there blocking and you can go over a threshold and you lose all your chances to counter attack powerfully and have to start all over, I think.

I don't know the complete ins and outs of the system because I played a rogue in the beta. The rogue is all about stealth, dodging, and positioning. Another excellent class in the game.

However keep an eye on the title as it does combat pretty awesome.

Still, all that being said... I'm not sure the system would translate well to Wildstar. The warrior class doesn't seem like he'd want to hide behind a big shield. I envision a guy slaughtering foes and using energy shielding and tech for protection. I mean, something about the sci-fi genre just doesn't lend itself as we'll to fantasy sword and boarding.

Beside I kind of adore the Warrior's whole Arm canon thing. If they add some kind of shield that comes out of that in a retractable way, I might be down with that... But I dunno if a robust active blocking system has a place in Wildstar.

We'll have to see of course how the final product plays out, but I'm of the opinion that while active blocking can be cool and does work well in other titles, I'm on the fence how much place it has in WildStar Online.
  20. Fb62

Fb62 New Cupcake

As someone planning on stalker tanking im on the fence. If not all tanks had it, stalker would probably be the last to have it, but of they did, a parry for would work fine. I think it would add a level to tanking, but take away from other damage/utility. Another example is, lets say you have yo decide between a jump, to just dodge abilities, or this block. unless block had a shorter cd, the jump has, imo, a better advantage. So although I would enjoy it, it would be hard to implement correctly.