1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Active Blocking for Tanks (and possibly others)

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Clowne, Feb 18, 2013.

1. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

the only way I can see it working in a telegraph system is on a fairly long cooldown where you are able to block certain big attacks once in a while to strategically minimize the mob moving around in a group situation. So that for example in a case of a tail swipe or breath cone mob, where players often have to move out of the way of a telegraph, and move every time the tank has to dodge out of a telegraph, the block ability would allow the tank to stay put a little more often.

that or crushing blows + shield block, but I don't think that is what you are getting at. i miss that mechanic as a tank, though I don't think it would fit into this game too well. or any game with stalker like classes. through i guess the stalker could have a similar dodge type ability .. but that begins to feel too homogeneous where everyone has the same ability with a different name.
  2. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I wouldn't really care. I'll probably get to tank since I will play warrior but I wouldn't mind active mitigation as long as it's not like wow's monks where the active mitigation means keeping your eyes on and sustaining several self buffs, that's lame.
  3. Maldwyn

Maldwyn Cupcake

They've talked about not wanting healers to "play the UI", so I can't imagine they want that for tanks either.
  4. azmundai

I was going to mention monks in my last post. i actually enjoy that part of tanking. that being said, a buff like that should be displayed somehow as an aura on your character so you can watch it there, and not on your hotbar.
    Eluldor and Soylentgreen like this.
  5. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah I actually liked that style of active blocking where the active blocking in Neverwinter completely turned me off, hiding behind a shield just isn't fun but juggling your tank abilities in with DPS and making it all work while maximizing DPS as much as you can is kind of fun and leads to more snap decisions.
  6. Grug

Grug New Cupcake

I'm guessing that each class will have one or more abilities that greatly increase defense for a short period of time, ideally along with some other effects or bonuses.

It is worth noting that at PAX East, Stalkers and Warriors had "Shield" bars next to their health bars that were diminished first.
  7. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Well I see the Granok having a natural block or damage mitigation, but that would be too OP, unless other classes all had a damage bonus or something similar to make up for it.

I'm all for having some block/invulnerable abilities for a tank role. Another route is the protection/active mitigation - so your character takes less damage while a skill buff is on. If you go full tank, you should have both options. That way a more DPS concentrated role of that same class could grab 1 or 2 of these abilities then focus on damage.

As azmundai said, have a visual indication on your character, instead of a tiny few pixel image showing your buff on UI, is the route to go.
  8. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I think what we'll see is an evasion and active block hybrid, so dodge the nasty red hits then rotate your block on other certain hits (say if a boss does bonus damage every 3rd, then get two tanks to rotate and block the 3rd attack). Build into that an interesting threat mechanic, or at least one that equates to more than keeping up one debuff and taunting to top threat, then you're golden for an engaging tank meta game.
  9. Maxtross

Maxtross Cupcake-About-Town

So the warrior class will be tanking using 2H weapon? Just like DK in Wow? or they have 1h+shield to use?
  10. azmundai

hmm thats an interesting question. it seems as if you are right as each class will have 1 weapon and warriors have a 2h. that dissapoints me a little. while i kinda like 2h tanking, it's a shame i won't be able to do the sword and board thing. definitely killed jk tanking a little for me in swtor. not a huge issue I guess, and there are still a couple of classes left to announce .. but it sounds like those will be engineer and something with a staff.
  11. Maxtross

Being this is an MMO with sci-fi settings,it would be kinda a bit weird if any of the classes using 1H+shield to tank, or is it i'm wrong? hehe
    But yeah i don't really mind with using 2H weapon to tank though.
    azmundai likes this.
  12. azmundai

i dont think it would be any more weird than a 2h sword?
  13. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

I forgot to mention the shield generator mechanic, so there could be skills that boost damage absorption there as well as recharge it faster, and something like "while your shield is active, you get + 50 defense"

All sorts of new tank skills could be applied to the shield generators.
  14. Morggause

Morggause Cupcake-About-Town

What you are talking about isn't active blocking, Tera is, Neverwinter is, WoW doesnt have that.

I'm sorry but whenever I tanked, on any game i never "just stood there", there's a <REDACTED>ons of stuff to do while tanking and if you find yourself short on stuff to do you could always try to improve your dps output, a tank's dps IS important. Plus you said "Counters, interrupts, blinds, dodges" those are all available for tank in almost all other games.

And for the active block, if they implement it I will definitely not play tank even if it's what i played the past 15 years. Active block is ever timed, or ressource based, on a real PVE (exit Tera / GWII/ etc.) you can't use an active block because boss are too different from one to another, because on a competitive raid/progress raid one second of lag from the tank could kill the whole raid (if the tank hit the button right but there's a server lag and he doesnt have the abilities up in time for the next one ...), as for ressource based that would mean for a game where active dodging is already there that you would have to gather this ressource between dodging phase and as far as we know there will be an Hit Table in Wildstar, if the tank need to have a CTC cap to not get crushed on the first hit and get the Hit Cap so he can be sure that he can gather the ressources needed to do the active blocking. Plus apparently we get 10 active slot (as far as we know atm) that would means 1 slot for active blocking when dodging doesnt require one. Plus so far we have no shield wearer class, so it wouldnt be called active blocking but active parrying so far.

Sadly for you Wildstar isn't trying to be all innovative and stuff, and i hope you don't expect that from here, of course they are adding some of there stuff, but first of all they are trying to make a successfull PVE game and to do so they have taken lots of things from the best mmo around.

Just kidding ;)
  15. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Active Mitigation/Active Block whatever you want to call WoW's system, it seems you knew what I meant anyway.
  16. Morggause

Yeah i got it but still Active Blocking is a name for a specific thing :p
  17. Maxtross

Well if people think Jedi Shadow tanking with double bladed saber is acceptable then no it wouldn't be any weirder than 2H tanking lol..

Maybe they will follow like Swtor shield type mechanic though?(absorbs/shield proc chance?)
  18. Morggause

That is a possibilitie and yet i doubt it, because Carbine stated that they want their pve to be really "hardcore-pro-stuff", that's why i don't see them implementing something this "shifty", you can't count on luck in High level PVE, you can't say : " I hope the 5% chance of the shield will occur on the next hit or i'm dead and the raid with me", or "I'm going to use my abilities now and the shield will proc later",

I could see something like this as a passive abilities maybe, definitely not as important as in swtor, but even if it's a passive one i'll definitely don't use it, because the point of tanking is also to smoothen the damage to the max, so your healer don't have to heal huge spike of damage (one of the best way to empty a bar of mana :D)
  19. Grug

Grug New Cupcake

I recall reading that warriors had some kind of laser shield. You can see them use it as part of some of their attacks. Look for when they hold up a buzzsaw-like thing. My guess is that it's not something you equip, it's just a class feature/flavor (like how stalkers can cloak).
  20. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Hmm. Kind of on the fence about this. Although I didnt find lancer tanking in Tera to be overly difficult, it was an entirely different beast. You had to know the telegraphs of pretty much every style of mob you fight in the game. It wasn't a bad thing but, it was just weird. It also made lancers insanely good at pvp though since you could pretty much mitigate anything you see flying at you.