1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Active Blocking for Tanks (and possibly others)

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Clowne, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Scrapple

Scrapple Cupcake

I like the idea of active blocking. To me it's another part of knowing how to play your class it's too easy to stand there and take a beating but knowing when to block and when not to block that is what makes a good tank. Makes you actually learn the mechanics of each fight that you come across.
  2. James Owen Porter

James Owen Porter New Cupcake

So, maybe I spend way too much time researching/prowling/trolling forums and YouTube for information about Wildstar. Needless to say Carbine as already pretty much told us how tanking is going to work we just have to put it all together and read through the lines. I don’t know much about the Stalker, but let’s start with the Warrior. They have a shield called a Ripsaw, “Now imagine that shield, a power saw, and a turbo-charged engine got together and had a cranky kid. The Ripsaw is that kid.” (Meet the Granok). How this works is “normal attacks” that have no telegraphs tanks will use passive and active abilities such as buffs, skills, heals and stats to mitigate or absorb, whatever. When monsters use telegraphs a tank can dodge them using stamina, assuming dodging has a small CD, or they can use skills that will stun/knockback/interrupt the attack stopping the telegraph; this keeps them from moving around. If you watch a lot of the abilities and videos of the warrior you can catch small bits of the tanking system. So assuming that my information and idea is right, it looks like they have a combination of active/passive tanking. If your CD’s are timed right you may never need to move or dodge, but just stun/knockback/interrupt telegraphs. However, I am sure there are there will be telegraphs we cannot stun/knockback/interrupt so that is where a tank will have to actually and actively dodge those types of moves. Carbine is trying to host causal and hardcore play by creating min/max system. You can be a “lazy” tank and never move and take the hard hits or simply try to stun/knockback/interrupt them forcing the healer and the rest of the party to keep you up. Or you can really max your survivability by actively dodging and move around saving resources, CD and what not for the rest of the party and yourself for when they really need it. As a side note with this type of tanking groups/raids are going to have to have a lot of flow. If you have a “lazy” tank the rest of the group/raid will suffer and if the healers are “lazy” too your group/raid will fail, not to mention if monster’s have engagers the DPS will need to also focus otherwise regardless of how good the healer or tank are they will skill fail. This system really makes the mesh and flow of groups/raids important if someone is being “lazy” the rest of the tower will crumble. This is what will separate hardcore raiding from causal. If can only guess that if this is how tanking working that the other two trinity with work and flow with it. You cannot have a triangle if one of the angles fall over or doesn’t perform.
  3. Solomon Hans

Solomon Hans Cupcake

Japan, London, Southern US, wherever the work is.
    If there is a "refresh your shield generator button" but you can only do it every 10 seconds or so, that would be pretty awesome. That means if you know there is something you really NEED to block or cant block, you can pop it and still get that effect you want, and still be moving and attacking as needed.
  4. jonbones

jonbones Cupcake

I think the idea of active blocking sounds great. I think as a rule, the more we can push away from static RPG button clicking to skill-based action combat, the better.
  5. Crybone

Crybone Cupcake-About-Town

I like "blocking" in terms of protecting your team. As a tank you're there for enduring the damage. If a good tank can "block" to reduce aoe dmg (etc.) done to those behind him/her, that's something i would like to see in a mmo.
  6. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

I like active blocking, but a few things need to be implemeted to make it fun AND engaging.
    The following numbers are just kinda made up, so bear with me...
    It should only be holdable for 3 seconds or so, with like a 10-second cooldown that triggers on use, this cooldown is reduced by a second for every attack you block (or perhaps based on damage amount blocked for bosses), up to a maximum of 5 seconds off. This puts a rather small, but meaningful limit on the ability. If you don't use it at the proper time, then you have to wait longer to use it again. This will promote timing your blocks properly, and reward skilled tanks with better survivability due to more blocks.

Having a block on a resource ability or a flat cooldown just isn't fun, It's basically block when "it's up".

An "active cooldown" ability (patent pending) Let's you decide wether or not to take a hit, if it means you can absorb a flurry of hits (or alternatively, a larger hit) shortly after to get more mileage out of your block.

Another option is to have the block's duration extend based on taking hits, so the hold duration is increased based on how much damage you blocked on a hit, between 1 and 5 seconds!
  7. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

As far as I know, there are 2 types of tanking (assuming threat is not an issue):
    1. Passive Mitigation: Where you stack up your stats and just stand in front of the boss and automatically negate a percentage of the damage thrown at your face.
    2. Active Mitigation: You reduce incoming damage by activating certain abilities or taking some actions to reduce or avoid that damage.
    I believe choosing one model and ignoring the other would be a wrong approach because No.1 is boring and requires no skill, just gear. No.2 requires skill and almost no gear. I think creating a hybrid model would be the best solution, like WoW did in the latest expansion. I am personally in favor of Active Mitigation more than Passive Mitigation, simply because the whole tanking experience would be painfully boring if you only needed stat points to tank that really tough boss.

Also as a side note, tanks should not do less damage than DPS characters. Because, why should they do less damage? Maybe 10-20% less damage than a DPS is fine but I feel like picking up the role of tank should be an advantage in a way not a sacrifice to make for your group.
    Solomon Hans likes this.
  8. James Owen Porter

Pretty much how I have understood it.
    Solomon Hans likes this.
  9. James Owen Porter