1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Addons - Yay or Boo?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Billco, Aug 23, 2012.

?

Do you like the fact that WildStar is going to allow/be Addon friendly?

1. Yup!

42 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. Nah!

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Meh! (don't care either way)

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. Arne Art

Arne Art New Cupcake

Dps classes have to do one thing, do dps! And if you can monitor that statistic and compare with others it will be good to know what your doing wrong or right, and where to upgrade to boost the statistics. If nobody has dps monitors, how will they know if they are doing a good job? Or how good vs other dps, and why.
  2. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

There are ways of telling. If the healers are running out of mana after a while, DPS isn't good enough. Hitting the bosses enrage timer? Not enough DPS... Pulling aggro off the tank? Learn to threat manage (aka Too much DPS!)!

Besides, if you can figure out the rhythm of your class/spec's abilities, you generally do as close to max DPS you can eck out or your spec/gear, which might not be the same as other people. Especially if say, your focused on single damage, and that guy other there is more AoE abilities. If your in a dungeon with a lot of single target fights, he's not going to do as much DPS, if it's mostly groups, -your- not going to do as much as him... it's all dependent making DPS meters irrelevant most of the time anyway.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  3. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

This is how it USED to be played :(
  4. michii88

michii88 Cupcake

I will have to agree with Tiktak on this subject. People used to do content by learning fights, wiping all night just to get down the mechanics and generally getting fine-tuned in encounters. Now, they just rely on addons. The fact is "once upon a time" addons in-game were created as a ease of life programs. Now, it seems like the addons are overboard, almost playing the game for the player lol.
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

That is why I don't use that particular type. The strange thing is: I like playing games! Weird huh? Again, and really for the last time, it's the player who decides to install and use those addons.
  6. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

No, a lot of the time it's the raid-leader who says you -have- to have these stupid add-ons or your not raiding. And no, I haven't yet found a guild that hasn't said that...
  7. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

I think the majority agree its going to come down to exactly what the add ons are.

Anything that improves accessibility these days is very quickly condemned for making a game too easy or ruining the challenge, yet for many the game is incomplete without them. Remapping keys, GUI enhancements even considering the needs of billions of color blind people out there when designing a game is an obstacle for designers.

Add ons should IMO always be an option. The players choice whether to use them determines the level or challenge they have ahead of them. Just the same as there are 'easy' 'normal' and 'hard' levels in some games the choice of challenge is fundamentally the individuals.

BUT for any game designer to build a game that alienates the potential 33 million players out there who carry the burden of personal challenges every day (physical or psychological) would be unwise in my mind. Add to this the billions of 'aging' players who reactions may not be that sharp anymore but who want to contribute to the community of the game. Better to have as many add ons and 'enhancements' available as needed to appeal to the widest audience.

Im pretty sure many of them would agree that a scalable rewards system based on what add ons are being used is appropriate and helps prevent gold mining bots or exploitation. At the end of the day many just simply want to play and enjoy the game and not face virtual challenges that could be insurmountable to them and result in an unplayable game.

Often we (as experienced players) want to be part of a limited group who have 'reached cap', 'mastered xyz profession' etc etc but a true MMO community exists to support and encourage participation in the game for everyone.
    WildZhen likes this.
  8. michii88

michii88 Cupcake

True story bro.

Players sometimes do seem to forget that games are actually created for the enjoyment of anyone who wants to play them and how they want to play them. I guess its just up to those who deem certain programs are "easy-mode" can choose not to use them, without letting the idea that someone, somewhere, is using a addon destroy their love of the game...choice...its a beautiful thing.

edit: Even I have to admit that I can sometimes get into this attitude which is generally bad.
    Tiktak and Maddog Charlie like this.
  9. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

The other side of this discussion is that some developers are quite obviously designing encounters with the expectation that the players are using addons. It is pretty obvious Blizzard has designed some WoW encounters with the expectation that players are using DBM or some variant to help them time effects or count off certain buffs/debuffs. When the expectation of the developer becomes such that they expect the majority if not all players are using an addon and thus design the encounter around its use, not using it becomes problematic.

As for my addons, I recently got roped back in to playing WoW. Surprisingly, after watching a video post one of my guildmates found, I ended up running quite a few addons. The odd part is except for DBM (required by the guild for runs) everything is stylistic or to make my life easier.

I ended up having addons in place to modify the minimap location, provide a quick bar for gold and repair information as well as links to addons so I could get rid of the tons of buttons around the minimap, one to get rid of the bloated feel of the toolbars, a modification to a single bag view with ease of sorting and another to alter the screen appearance so that I have blank space at the bottom where bars and such are not covering the screen.

With perhaps the exception of the last one, all of those could and should be options of the primary interface maintained by the developer. Instead, I have those and a couple more running just to make my screen less cluttered. As I mentioned earlier, I am a minimalist at heart and hate screen clutter. I honestly find it kind of sad I have to run about 10 addons just to modify the UI enough where it is usable for me.
  10. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I have noticed a small degree of telegraphing layer on the MoP expansion. Right now I can not tell if it is DBM or the default client giving me notice of situational content, it seems a little too smooth to be the old DBM, more like it is part of the client. I prefer getting my warnings in a combo of audio and visual, so I am not ashamed at using DBM to make up for the lack of that, but I am going to try it without for a couple of weeks, because it looks to me like Blizzard fixed their design on that part and improved on multi sense warnings.

Anyone thought of a hardmoding achievement of an encounter would be to block use of addons and macros in that encounter? So the game purity people can get bragging rights about having done it the old way with the default client and actually have an achievement to prove it with.
  11. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

Siega you are right there is a small amount of it, it's not an addon though it's the default UI. Guess blizzard is also watching carbine (what an honor rofl).
  12. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I like certain addons but after playing GW2 I kind of enjoyed knowing that in PvP or WvW anyone I went up against was just using what the game provided. Right now I'm 50/50 on it.
  13. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

I've been noticing this too, and I really like it. Some mobs will toss up shields and you have to move to hit them from behind, some drop visible telegraphs... suddenly I'm no longer just button-mashing while not paying attention the screen.
  14. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

A wild Scooter appears!

JarNod uses Beta Invite!

It's not very effective...
    michii88 likes this.
  15. Tilnak

Tilnak New Cupcake

I have played MMORPGS for years and i feel as many do they have there pluses and there minus. I think it has been very well expressed here the reason for and against them. I would just like to add that they do bring something to the game that helps the developer to be honest. With WOW over there years some of the most popular addons were actually incorporated into WOW.

That is where the addon feature really shines in my opinion it helps give the player base different viewpoints on how to approach certain aspects of the game, how we look at the game, and play it not to mention freeing up developer time to look at and observe what is being the most discussed and used without forcing change on the entire player base that may not be well received.

That is where the addon feature in wow really shines it give people options that a community can develop and build on without the hardship of being forced to have a UI a certain way worrying about Threat meters and DPS. Those issues can all be ignore really if you don't want to play with them then don't. If you dislike playing with people who do use them then don't play with either . I have gone both ways in MMORPGS over the years but in the end Addons I believe are a must any aspiring MMORPG to have a large player base.

As several poster have already express it has become the standard thanks to WOW but it also brings a invaluable tool to and developer who knows how to properly monitor, adjust, fix, and exploit the hell out of other peoples good ideas and talent. And this is what makes a game long lasting and great different ideas all being tested at once and being able to pick the best and brightness from it to share with the rest.
  16. SiegaPlays

Recently the Altoholic addon has helped me not being driven up the wall. I can open the window for it and check up on status for all my toons - got all classes - check who has the most rest bonus, who has mail, who has anything of that darn carrot I need for my food, etc. really a time saver and status monitor for the account.

My WoW world would be perfect - until the next issue comes up, like how the AH works - if I got a shared shack to store my mats in for all my toons on the same faction and server :p
  17. Bitwise

Bitwise Carbine Studios

Won't be long!
    starspun and Kurik Lein like this.
  18. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

[​IMG]
  19. SiegaPlays

ohh, I do like seeing yellow posters

Personally I kind of liked where Rift and SWTOR were going with the costumizable ui layout feature. I like to keep my ui tight and down the bottom, since I for some reason get motion sick with clutter on the sides and only give the top 1/3 of the screen a once over now and then, unless something requires special attention - besides that, clutter at the top is in the way of a clear view of the open sky and far reaches, when absorping landscape graphics through my retina.
    ObliviousPrime likes this.
  20. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I voted no but I would like to explain.
    I tried a few UI addons in firefall then removed them. I am not really a fan.
    I don't like addons that dumb down the combat or fight mechanics. I like to think that in PvP someone beat me because he/she is more skillful not because they have stuff that help them.

I do understand the need for addons if they are making a feature easier to use. For example if it made extra functionality or sorting etc.. maybe even tweeks to the UI.

I would prefer it if the game offered those functions and I do not have to resort to addons at all.

Maybe one day a gaming company will have something like http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com
    Where if gamers wanted a specific feature like customizable UI a specific funtion to be added in the guild management they can vote it up or down.