1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Addons - Yay or Boo?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Billco, Aug 23, 2012.

?

Do you like the fact that WildStar is going to allow/be Addon friendly?

1. Yup!

42 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. Nah!

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Meh! (don't care either way)

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. Kiaros

Kiaros New Cupcake

Addons gain more then they hurt, they are optional.

Some people need that popup that tells them to heal themselves.
    Some people need that popup to tell them that monster is attacking them instead of the tank..

You can take a bad player, give him some addons, and there is a "Chance" he will be a bit better.
  2. Opi

Opi New Cupcake

Yes! I love customizing your gameplay with addons, like DeadlyBossMods in WoW, or maybe the wildstar devs will already implement their own version in the game, anyhow, I really like when a game have support for addons. Perhaps if you're not pleased with the unit frames and the action bars(I think they look great!) you could download an addon (thats like Bartender4 in WoW) so you could customize the interface. Excuse my relations to WoW all the time, but I think wow did really good on the AddOn front :up:
  3. Etna_The_Undying

Etna_The_Undying New Cupcake

I love addons. I like to be able to move bars or have extra bars where i want to. I love the 1bag addon opens all your bags in a single window and has a search option.

AH addons so you can put allot of stuff faster and get on to do some PVP or PVE content.

DPS/HPS meters.
    Threat meters.

Quality of life :)
  4. Michael72

Michael72 Cupcake

I never used addons excessively, but it is a good thing to have the option to add them to your gaming experience. Most of them nobody really needs, and they are rarely ever used, but some are actually really useful, even for yourself to improve your gameplay and get an idea about why you suck and what you can possibly do about it.

Having the possibility to customize things to your liking is always good.
  5. Gray

Gray Podcaster

Yup!

I see the pros of addons as follows:
    • Stretch-Armstrong UI
    • Raid assister. Anything that helps the raid as a whole to limit player mistakes boosts overall morale.
    • Fluff Buffer! Take a mod for popular games that adds entrance music to players who sign in for example. Necessary? Certainly not. Cool? Arguably yes and I for one think fluffy non-progressing areas of MMOs make for some of the most enjoyable content they offer. Take LOTRO's music system for a superb example.
    • Leveling aid. When players make leveling easier, this provides a free service that doesn't break the bank if you decide you could use a push in the back to get things rolling.
    • Optional. Think leveling aids are cheesy, devil-spawn? Ignore, snap the wrist and walk away.
    Cons:
    • Min/Max calls for mandatory addon or no invite. A side effect of sweet addons? Raid Leader John Doe decides you get a swift boot on out of the group because you don't have Get Outta There Man! ™ Internet Fire Avoider installed.
    • Memory behind the game can cause players to "ticket" support when they're actually the ones doing it to their own setups and addons. More of these tickets = less time for in-game assistance.
    • Addons require constant updating. Dependency can be a bee sting when a patch breaks it and the fun is spoiled when Bob the Addon Builder decides he's tired of maintaining your favorite addon.
    Ultimately it will be up to the Wildstarians. However, another underappreciated bonus of addons: awareness for talented people that need a foot in the door for employers. Do you think the creators of the Sky UI for Skyrim raised any eyebrows over at Bethesda? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact there is a possibility is sweet enough in my opinion.
  6. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I have picked WildStar as the first game I want to make an addon for. I figure why not, might do me a lot of good in the area of user interface design for one of my favorite hobbies*, and add something to my blank resume for my recently completed AP Multimedia programme.

-- *)
    sorry, I love books even more, but my current budget is wastely better paying $15 a month for unlimited playtime in fantasy land than buying books for the same amount of time in fantasy land (1-2 books a day)
    --
  7. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

Also don't forget that complex games sometimes cause issues, e.g. problems with Auction UI, Bank, Interaction with NPCs, Nameplates and diverse other reasons. Often the community is able to fix these things fast, before the Devs can push out a patch, that is a big plus imo.
  8. mr. bob

mr. bob New Cupcake

i'd have to say i feel addons allow you to find who is lazy and not helping out groups ADDONS FTW
  9. Mideon

Mideon New Cupcake

So I am going to say that one of the most successful things that wow ever did was not only allow addons, but add it into the game and be super friendly to the mod community. I can't see how this would be a bad this at all.