1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Aircraft. Flight and why it could be awesome.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by WakeskaterX, May 25, 2013.

1. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

They prepared game with flying in mind but now they are considering to not to have flying mounts as they also understand that flying can break this game. Don't be fooled that they are removing it because of us bickering on these forums about flying. We just gave them some valid "game braking" points and they understand them. If later it happens that game sucks for some reason and they will have to do smth to keep it making money, then they will add every rubbish mechanic to the game together with P2W and flying (to let it earn a few more $$ before it dies). But for now there is no reason whatsoever to risk adding dangerous and questionable mechanics from the very beginning.
    WakeskaterX likes this.
  2. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I fully expect to have ground mounts too, but those are a completely different thing and have no baring on whether flying mounts should be available.​
    I think that would be ridiculous. "Oh we raised the level cap so you can't fly until you hit it again," how stupid would that be. I can't imagine anyone claiming that flight "breaks immersion" could hold in their lunch if that were to happen. Better to just have the new zones be like the old ones, and force you to clear air travel routes from the ground before you're able to fly in the new areas.​
  3. jackashflash

jackashflash Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think you can make that assumption. They designed the engine and game such that it worked allow flying, but that doesn't mean that flying was always planned to be in the game at launch. It is only smart to leave your options open for later.

Its actually quite smart imo. From a story standpoint or immersion standpoint it might not make sense, but its the only way to ensure that leveling in the xpac isn't completely trivialized. WoW did it twice, because it simply works. As a developer your first duty is to ensure things work first, and then you worry about insignificant <REDACTED> like lore and immersion.
  4. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Ground mounts are usually considered to be much slower than flying. The speeders I have in mind are faster than WoW flying mounts. I think about them as a replacement for flying mounts as they could be world apart from other ground mounts like bicycles, animals and such. They could also do jumps, have afterburners and other exciting things together with mini wings for short flights (clearing obstacles/walls).
    But anyway, I think flying subject have been done to death and I'm going to wait for Carbines final decision regarding this. I already know that they well understand the problems we see with flying and if they actually add it to the game it will mean that they fixed those issues.

As far as I know it was planned to be in game (they even have some flying mounts already made), but they have second thoughts now .
  5. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Why not just have it so that players can't fly through the new zone until they've unlocked the airspace from the ground?

In WoW maybe, but not in other games with flight. In most games with flight, ground mounts are faster than air mounts, so that if they get into a race, on some terrain the fliers will win, and on others the speedsters will win, but on average they balance out.

All cool stuff, let's have those, but also flying mounts.
  6. Vaos

Vaos Cupcake

I was looking around to see if they've said anything definitive, here's what I found. It's been kind of back-and-forth and convoluted, it seems they have the tech to do it but have been debating on how and if they will actually do so.

June 2012
    http://www.mmo-game.eu/wildstar-q-and-a-session-with-jeremy-gaffney/
    “Q: Will there be flying mounts?
    A: Yes! the world is built for flight and Wildstar will provide flying mounts. We have a variety of flying mounts and experiment with different kinds of powers.”

July 2012
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_weekly_roundup_-_july_2_2012.php
    “The community over at WildStar Central have been holding a debate about flying mounts which we've been closely following. If you haven't already, head over and create an account so you can chat!”

May 2013
    http://www.pokket.tv/wp/2013/05/15/wildstar-live-forum-qa-with-wildstars-jeremy-gaffney/
    “Spaceships: Actually we built the whole world intending for flight from day 1. But there’s a bit of a backlash in the community right now around flight trivializing content/making the world too small. So we’re listening to those debates right now, if I can be honest. Back when I/we launched City of Heroes flight was a big deal, so it’s interesting to me now to hear the backlash. Opinions welcome.”

“Other alternatives include limited flight (via a gas tank on your speeder plane or w/e), mounts unlocked per zone (so that you can be a badass once you’ve unlocked the main quests, but that might feel too game-y) and more – we actually have a meeting later today to bounce the latest alternatives off of each other.”

“Mounts in game today: Temporary mounts (as quest mechanics, quest rewards, rep rewards, via vendors in diff zones, and things settlers build), quest mounts, real normal mounts (with HP bars and sometimes ability bars), taxis, ground taxis, settler-build additions to the taxi node network, and probably other stuff I’ve forgotten.”

May 2013
    http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32344&storypage=2
    “I can’t really go into details on the flying mounts - that’s really an internal discussion right now, but
    we definitely are going to have regular mounts. I personally have no problems with people getting to their destination faster.
    Our mounts are going to be different from what you’d experience in other games – I can’t go into details as to why yet because we’re saving that for a reveal later on, but I think people are going to be very pleased with what we’re presenting.”

May 2013
    http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32377&storypage=2
    “Let me give you the exact honest answer on that. We designed the world from the ground up expecting flying mounts and implemented flight at a very early stage, because we were like ‘hey it sucks when you have half the world for flight and half not for flight.’ But there’s a very interesting debate that’s arisen over time, since we added that four years ago, about whether you should really have flying mounts in your game or does it trivialize too much of the content? So what we’re doing right now is listening to the community and figuring out if we want to launch with flying mounts, or put some restrictions on them – if you have a little spaceship you can fly around, does it have a gas tank so you can’t fly infinitely? – we’re not sure. We’re actually listening to the community pretty strongly on this one, and so we’ve been following the arguments on the boards as much as anybody else has. We have the technological capability to do either, and at the end of the day we’ll probably listen to the fans and see what they want.”

May 2013
    https://twitter.com/Team_WildStar/status/302189302941638656
    @weather_girly There will indeed be mounts. Flying ones, too.

June 2013
    http://www.ihatemmorpgs.com/2013/06/wildstar-q-with-jeremy-gaffney.html
    "The latter question is the important one. The engine’s built to allow flight, but we won’t add that kinda thing unless we can make it awesome. You can bop up to the moons (low gravity zones, w00t superjump) and the defense ring around the planet, but that I’m sure ain’t what you mean."

And here’s a video interview from May 2013, it’s quite long so I transcribed the relevant bit about flying mounts which starts at about 14:20.

“So, uh, my personal thoughts on flying mounts…you know, I think the way we’re doing it is we’re posing it to the community more than anything else, so keep that in mind when I answer this. Um, that we’re listening to everybody, if they want flying mounts in we’ll probably use something for flying mounts, but if they don’t, then that’s fine too.

Personally, I actually don’t want to put them in. The reason - ‘cause we have the tech to do it, we could totally do it right now - but the reason that I don’t want to do it is it marginalizes some of the stuff for, like, the explorer for example. You know, you’re supposed to jump up these high vertical play spaces, and, you know, I’d be fine with mounts that could jump higher or I’d be fine with other such options, but…yeah, I’m just not a big fan of the fact that you could just fly to the top of something and be like ‘ding!’ as opposed to, you know, having to jump up something…work for it. Um, you know, I…I think that that kind of…marginalizes it a bit. So that’s my personal take on it, but it’s a debate we’re having in the studio, there’s a lot of people that are like ‘what? But, you know, they have it in other games, we should have it.” But…yeah it’s a debate that rages on right now.”

---

On the topic of this thread -
    That’s a really good idea, I’ve been supporting a “limited altitude” method but I was imagining just a hard flight ceiling - an exhaustion-like mechanic would probably feel more natural. A vertical altitude bar in the UI would probably be good as well.
    Zadok and Gronky like this.
  7. Vaos

Vaos Cupcake

They've addressed it in multiple Q&A's between last June and now. They haven't been saying anything definitive, of course, and it seems they haven't come to a decision yet. But check my post right above yours.
    Gronky likes this.