1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Alignment Vote: Dominion

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Sebrent, Jun 4, 2013.

?

What alignment do you think the Dominion is?

1. Lawful Good

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. Neutral Good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Chaotic Good

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Lawful Neutral

22 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. True Neutral

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. Chaotic Neutral

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Lawful Evil

52 vote(s)
    57.1%
  8. Neutral Evil

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. Chaotic Evil

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Sebrent

Sebrent New Cupcake

Eluldor and kanochi like this.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Haha only lawful choices so far.
  3. Chim

Chim Cupcake-About-Town

Choosed lawful evil, but they are neutral good, ofc. ;)
    kanochi likes this.
  4. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

5. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Lawful evil. :p

I'm sure that there'll be exceptions, but this is how the faction's been portrayed in current media; so that's clearly what Carbine wants to appeal to players for this faction. :p

I don't think that there's an MMO where you get to be so badass with so much style, though. ;)
    Chim likes this.
  6. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

I view them along the lines of lawful evil/neutral. Leaning more towards evil, as my voting states.

That is the Dominion government/structure as a whole. Races and individuals will of course vary along all of the lines. However, I sorta see the Chua as chaotic evil/neutral :D
  7. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

I would say there are very few lawful evil people but the leaders are between lawful evil and lawful neutral and the rest of the people are lawful neutral.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

They may not be purely Lawful Evil, but it's the alignment that fits them most given the amount of data that's been revealed thus far.

It's possible we could see a Lawful Neutral or Neutral Evil alignment depending on what is revealed about the Dominion but I'm fairly certain the Dominion will at the very least remain a "Lawful" aligned faction.
  9. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

how is dominion evil though? ... they are trying to bring the barbarians into thier civilised world .... like saying the roman empire was evil .... obviously not
    Chim likes this.
  10. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

I'm going to have to go with Lawful Neutral.

I do feel that CRB's presentation of the Dominion has been a tad "Star Wars evil empire" so far: sure they say the Dominion brings "peace and order to the galaxy" but we aren't really told of anything negative about lifestyles outside of the Dominion, like some sort of threats or barbarism that makes the Dominion a stabilizing force. If we were told that, say, the rest of the galaxy was swarming with pirates and criminals and the Dominion was basically the only surefire rule of law, that'd mean more lore-wise. Someone might have their little shop and be "free" in Exile space, but they'd always run the risk of getting pillaged by space pirates; whereas if they cooperated with the Dominion, they would have a guarantee of safety. Unfortunately, we haven't yet been shown specific examples of something like that yet so currently the Dominion is looking rather "evil empire," killing fluffy cute nature-worshipping pacifist bunnies.

I think this kind of info is coming, lore reveals that will make the Exiles seem less like poor oppressed victims desperately trying to fight back, and the Dominion more than just harsh unyielding autocrats: you know, spice things up a bit, add some moral grey. My basis for this is ofc, that Chad Moore interview (though I do think he was unfair when he euphemized the heavily cartoony villain archetypes in the Meet the Dom video down into "a little bit of that darker side" as though it had been presented in a more nuanced fashion).

Like Genoshock, I feel the Dominion is probably functionally more similar to the Roman Empire: yes, they did launch wars, but using taxation from conquered lands they built roads, infrastructure, aqueducts, introduced laws (brutal by our current-day standards but stabilizing compared to many indigenous laws at the time), created trade, and so on. They didn't just pillage and plunder like the majority of other groups around Europe and North Africa at the time: they built and created civil works, developed a system of law that is the basis of our own still today, built roads, buildings, and infrastructure that are still in use today, recorded almost everything they came across creating the basis for much of our knowledge of the history of the cultures they had contact with, etc etc.
  11. Xuphor

Xuphor New Cupcake

Photoshop.+I+mean+no+news+channel+is+going+to+put+_ebc40feef84d728d3b51e4b4d1fdccc8.jpg

Speaking as someone who's never played any game with those kind of allignments (I've heard of them though, I think everyone has, but don't know specifics), I'm gonna say Chaotic Neutral. They don't hate specifically the Exiles, they hate every one else that's on Nexus, be it Exiles, animals, plants, etc. Certainly not Good, but if they were actually "Evil", I'd think they would try to destroy the entirety of Nexus, not try to keep it. Either that of pretend tom vacate Nexus with the Exiles still on it, then just blow up Nexus to destroy all the Exiles permanately.

....So they aren't Good nor truly Evil. That only leaves Neutral. They aren't lawful neutral, because that would mean they tend to pick nice decisions. They aren't true neutral either, as they clearly want what they personally want.

That only leaves Chaotic Neutral, which just also sounds right for them.
  12. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think you understand the lawful/chaotic axis. For the Dominion to be chaotic, they would have to be against order, against law, the exact opposite what they are. They are the law, they are order. They bring more planets and people into their empire so that more and more of the galaxy/universe can operate smoothly and with the same set of laws.
    SiegaPlays and Kataryna like this.
  13. Jackie1st

Jackie1st Cupcake

I was debating between lawful neutral and lawful evil.
    Interesting to see that's what the majority seems to believe as well.
  14. Inumo

Inumo New Cupcake

Until they decide to have a better PR rep than the guy from the Meet the Dominion video, I've got them pretty well-seated into the Lawful Evil category while the Exiles are Chaotic Good (who doesn't like a good ol' saving-the-homeland story?). Now, if they were to prove that their system was also doing good things for those under their thumb, and they ravaged some planets out of necessity or because they threatened the good of the many, then I'd put them into Lawful Neutral, and set the Exiles into Chaotic Neutral (which, IMO, is a much better type of conflict than Good vs. Evil).
  15. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

When you live in a western democracy it's pretty hard not to see an empire with obvious secret police as not evil.
  16. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Well... I'm going to have to go with Lawful Neutral. I realize this is a bit of a shock, but allow me to explain:

People are not their leaders. When George Bush was in office the entire population of the US did not magically become Southern Christian fans of hedging the definition of Torture. When Obama entered office we didn't become Mulatto Hawaiians who tout transparency and then secretly expand invasive programs.

The Dominion's leaders are, probably, mostly Lawful Evil. Sure there may be some LN or even LG members of the ruling class, but it would likely have more evil than good. This is because lawful evil people tend to be more aggressive and interested in gaining personal power without having all those pesky ethics that keep good people from undercutting their opposition and dirty double dealing. However, this does not make the Dominion on the Whole evil. It just means there are evil leaders in power.

Among the populace you'll still see a wide variety of alignments, but I think with the social structure we've been presented that Chaotic individuals will likely be marginalized as a group. This would be akin to Democrats or Republicans being the party in power and doing their best to ensure the other can't get voted into office. For example: Gerrymandering of districts.

Individual members of the Dominion will, therefore be of any alignment, but due to social structuring likely skew towards Law than Chaos. Wit ha skew towards law, but not particularly towards Good, Evil, or Neutrality, it's likely that you'll have a more or less neutral society on the aggregate being directed to morally questionable ends that may or may not be evil in the eyes of the populace thanks to information control.

In short: I don't think the Dominion itself is Evil any more than I think the Horde or Alliance are good or evil in totality. In some ways the Exiles are doing wrong. And I'm sure as the game evolves we'll see their own darkness more often than most "Exiles are Good!" forumites will be comfortable with. Does this mean the Exiles are Evil? Heck, no!

It just means that people are arguing along the wrong alignment axis. The one that you can make a very good case for is that the Dominion is Lawful and the Exiles Chaotic. Beyond that it's very hard to say without having the Lore bible posted somewhere.

-Rachel-
    Chim likes this.
  17. Wormwood

Wormwood Cupcake

Their Lawful for sure, but I'm not sure we can say if the Dominion is Good or Evil: Thus, I voted for Lawful Neutral.

Here's the thing: The Cassians WERE chosen by the Elden to create a star spanning empire. They were provided the Mechari as Allies and the Elden integrated with the Cassians through the Luminai. The Dominion may have become a heavy handed, militaristic imperial force, but WE DO NOT KNOW THE END GAME. What killed the Elden? Who were they? What did they believe in or know? Until we know more about the history of Nexus and the Elden, I'm not willing to call the Dominion evil. Could be they're going to save us all...

I'll still side with the Exiles in the end, on the principal of Personal Freedom if nothing else.
    Chim likes this.
  18. Luc

Luc Cupcake-About-Town

Need much more information about the lore to conclude this...but for now, i think they are Chaotic Good.
  19. Rene

Rene New Cupcake

They are certainly not chaotic. Exiles are chaotic, probably Chaotic Neutral.
    And the dominion is more likely Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil.
    I'd go with Lawful Neutral
  20. Blackwolfe

Blackwolfe New Cupcake

I'd go for Lawful Evil as well. But that is the Dominion in general. Not everyone within the Dominion will be like that of course. My guild has not yet decided whether we will be Dominion or Exiles after release but if it turns out that we go Dominion, my main certainly won't be evil or even close to it.