1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

All around the web, Wildstar is receiving mixed opinions.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gunghoe, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

2. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Well from a quick browse through their site MMORPG seem to be drooling all over EQN, I guess they are not capable of liking more than one game at a time
  3. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

It just seems weird why so many people are either on the fence on this game (small amount), or completely written it off(rather large group), or in love with it(even smaller group than on the fence, because neutral is the new lame apparently). While I love nearly everything i have seen so far. Am a crazy?

What makes this game a win?
  4. Dedlaw

I think people are just becoming jaded to game hype. Reading some of the players comments, many have already labeled it as a "WoW killer" (Why? why would they do that?) so by default many others have already written it off as a failure judging by the history of previous "WoW killers".

Others will all have their own reasons for not liking the game, some opinions being more baseless than others.

As for what will make this game a win? No idea. And honestly, I don't care if it's the best thing since sliced bread or not. For me, it looks like fun, and that's more than enough
    Nearo, Ianpact, ruff_ethereal and 8 others like this.
  5. Vamark

Vamark New Cupcake

I think there's a plethora of reasons as to why many people dislike WildStar, and I think there are even more reasons why people like it.

Reasons some hate it is because, as stated before, various players are labeling it as a WoW killer, and in the past, all the "WoW killers" have, well... not killed WoW. It also disrupts the ebb and flow of the WoW fanbase, and takes away from their pool of players. I have also heard that some players were put off by WildStar's more loose, rough and tumble image as opposed to the more serious, dark theme of many MMOs on the market.

The reasons as to why so many people love this game are endless. The biggest for me, is that it's different from all the other MMOs that have come out in the past few years. All the MMOs recently have been following the WoW approach, and it's just dated. Players want something new and different, and WildStar changes almost all of the MMO mechanics in both small and large ways, while still holding on to the key MMO building blocks, such as questing, group content and the trinity. It also has a different vibe/style to it, with the whole wild west space pioneering thing.

It's great! I LOVE it, but there will always be those that do not want it to succeed for various reasons previously stated.
  6. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

"Hate" is such strong word. Only people that 'hate' games are those that notice their game does not carter to their personal need, and then feel obliged to emerge on holy crusade about game, giving it bad press and trying to destroy any fun people playing it would have.

I would say that majority of those people simply just do not care. Yes, it's quite possible and entirely normal among 'normal' people. Journalists also can have games they don't give a <REDACTED> about, but usually they simply don't write articles on said game, instead giving it to someone interested. That is why on 'proper' gaming site opinions on unreleased games almost always are good, as they come from people that care and like it.
    They don't have to like Wildstar, they don't have to play it, nobody does. But people that will like it will play it, regardless of opinions of 'other people'.
  7. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

There will always people who like and dislike things for the exact same reason, it's the beauty of the human condition. The best way is always to form your own opinion and if you love it, then love it regardless of what others think.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the MMORPG hype-o-meter though, almost every game that has ever been listed has faded into obscurity. They have a good site, but with the MMO-market being the way it has been for the past few years they have to constantly chase the next new thing.
    Xalon likes this.
  8. kredes

kredes New Cupcake

Haters gonna hate - they mostly hate games, cause they are so fanboy of another game, so, as how i see it, they are scared of "new" stuff.. cause what if people from they beloved game maybe move to the game they "hate", that would be DRAMATICALLY!! - so they start flaming and spreading bad hype about the game, which always will catch other haters.

For my personal view, MMORPG.com is kinda lame and people shouldnt really be worried from reviews, from a site like that.

but, it doesn't look like it's that much hated, wildstar has #5 place on their voting

[​IMG]

My guess will be that Final fantasy 14, will fail.. as much as the other games (sorry but im not much fan of final fantasy, especially on how many games they released, 14!!!!)

I've never really heard about Star Citizen, and very little about ArcheAge too.

Wildstar is just really hard to compare with other current MMO's. Some love it, some don't, thats how it works... also with current big titles as WoW, it has a HUGE fanbase, but probably a bigger group of haters.

What do i like about wildstar?:

The graphics - that is how a good MMO should look like imo, and reminds me of good old WoW days (yes, that is a good thing imo)

The storyline with humor

All the things you can do! housing, path choosing, gather professions, combat system (telegraphing), movement, the planet nexus! 40 man raids, warplots!! I'm so excited

And, not to forget.. i really feel like the devs ARE indeed listening to us, the community - which not many game devs does these days!
    ArdentSun and Guinn like this.
  9. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

The "community" on mmorpg.com is pretty terrible. Far too much bitter vet syndrome and general trolling.

This game is a "win" for me because based on the information we have, it has the features I want.
    Eluldor likes this.
  10. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

EverQuest Next will be a great game if what they've revealed is true, it won't be a good MMORPG however. Also remember that the people that post these things take into mind all player bases, casuals and hard core. Besides that the people that are hating wildstar are those who sucked at wow/never played it. Lets face it WildStar does look alot like Wow to the hivemind. ArcheAge is just a pvp mmorpg which i think will fail A) asian B) PvP based will never attract a huge crowd or be a fulfilling game earning lots of money.

FF14 i dont care about, Star Citizen never heard of. WildStar will honestly sweep all of these games away in terms of gameplay, It hasn't really built any hype yet and the fact its still top 10 is nice.

EDIT : MMORPG is full of people that play only F2P's, it's my guess to as why Everquest is also so high in esteem. Besides that, a lot of game reviewers for MMORPGs are idiots and think games need to reinvent the wheel. Honestly just release a WoW with a better combat system ( GW2's improved ), and modernise it with a better interface, accesibility etc. And you have a selling game.
  11. kredes

kredes New Cupcake

^ this.

That is what i like about Carbine studious as well, they don't hype the game for no reason! as i see it, they rather want the 'gamers' to notice wildstar, and dig into the features of wildstar, and see for themself!

So many games these days (not only MMO's), hype their game with 'epic' gameplay vids, but they only show these few seconds of epicness, and the rest is often boring or totally not interesting for the bigger group of players.
  12. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I don't really understand what you mean by "win". Are you talking about some kind of imagined contest between various in-development titles to see who will end up with the largest population? Or are you talking about winning as in becoming a profitable game that manages to thrive and grow over the years?

I think Wildstar will probably do just fine due to it's intuitive mechanics, innovative development, and accessible design. I don't think it is ever destined to max out the hype meters due to it's new IP and Wow-inspired foundation, which is fine, hype is not really worth a whole lot. People get really obsessed with pre-launch hype for these games when what really matters is post-launch word of mouth. If your game is good the word of mouth will help it sell, if it isn't so good, it will sink you. What people think about the game before it launches is pretty inconsequential, sure it may dampen the number of early adopters but that isn't a big deal. MMOs are often about momentum. Wildstar could start small and snowball into something huge, or it could pull a SWTOR and do the opposite of that. Either way the amount of hype really doesn't play into that.

As well, others in this thread have already touched on this point, not everyone has to like Wildstar. Going even further there are probably people reading this very thread who are head over heels in love with Wildstar for all the wrong reasons and may end up hating the game eventually, or just end up being really disappointed with it. At this point any love / hate you see is all pretty insubstantial and honestly isn't worth paying a lot of attention to.
    Calsic, Eluldor and Xalon like this.
  13. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

There are 3 things that make a game successful,none of them is internet "vibe" before launch.

1.Financial success: Example: Diablo 3,sold over 13 mil copies on pc only,a few hundred million off the RMAH,it had mediocre reviews and awful consumer ratings,but it was successful from a financial point of view.

2.Critical acclaim: Example: Guild Wars 2,excellent reviews all-round,awards,very good metacritic rating,etc,the game is considered a failure by the mmo gaming crowd.

3.Consumer base success: Example :Witcher 2,sold very few units for a dual platform AAA quality product,still viewed by gamers as one of the best RPG's ever made

Wildstar is looking to hit all 3,but NCSOFT will be happy even with the first one (see GW2,considered a success by NCSOFT because it made quite a hefty sum of money).Critical acclaim is pretty easy to get,as most gaming "journalists" lack backbone and are willing to sell them selves for a few coopers.The last one is the hard one to get,if Carbine wants this MMO to live and grow as the next big thing,they need the player base behind them,will they get the support?Only the launch and the first few months will tell.

Games are judged in the court of public opinion,and money,or media outlets spewing out bought reviews can't change that.
    ArdentSun, Sqwarsh, Mukesh and 2 others like this.
  14. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I agree.

Personally, I ignore most of those web sites. They are usually filled with personal bias and very little real game information.

Plus, I agree that as soon as an author uses the term "WoW killer" or any other comparison to WoW in describing a game, he's failed at getting his point across. People need to get over the WoW thing. It's a good game, and it's a successful game. But, every new game that comes out is not necessarily competing with WoW.

There is no game that will be 'successful' for everyone. Some will love WS, and some will hate it. Just like with other games. We each have our own ideas of what we are looking for in a game. Find what's fun and play it.

For me...WS looks fun, and I'll also play EQN. I stopped playing WoW a couple of years ago, so I really don't care about it.
  15. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

What a silly, silly question. How can it win?
  16. Dedlaw

Exactly. We might as well start labeling every FPS game that comes out as a COD killer. Some people are so set on comparing one game to another that they completely neglect to judge a game based on it's own merits
    Mellkor likes this.
  17. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

It always depresses me to look at the threads where people bring up the features that make me love the game, like telegraphs and the art style as reasons they can't see themselves playing the game. I know I shouldn't expect others to like the same things I like, but I'm loving pretty much everything Wildstar is throwing at me so far. I guess I should feel lucky that the people who wanted realistic graphics, less primary colors, no telegraphs, and permanently mouselocked camera didn't get their fingers on the game I love.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  18. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

All around the web and yet you only referenced three other websites? That's hardly all around the web. I notice that you only picked sites that seem to be down on Wildstar, convenient eh?. You've failed miserably at your research my friend so forgive me for laughing at your post.

With that said, can we stop with these BS threads only meant to drum up negativity? It's getting incredibly old and offers little to no insight in any direction.
  19. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

5th place behind FFXIV. That's pretty god awful. 2.5 second global cooldowns FTL.

Star Citizen looks pretty cool.

Not sure why everyone's making a big deal about EQN. I haven't seen anything to suggest more than a giant sandbox where stuff can be destroyed. Whoopdefriggin' doo. Sounds like Minecraft with better graphics.

Never heard of ArcheAge.
  20. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

Beautiful,truthful and informative. This should just be the thread G2 had ridic hype because of the revolution they promised t was as big as whats eqn is trying to do and it was a 10 on the hype meter. Look at it now