1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

All around the web, Wildstar is receiving mixed opinions.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gunghoe, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

Only in terms of art style. There's practically nothing else in Wildstar that should make you think of WoW. And I love the bright cartoony art.
    Kataryna likes this.
  2. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

Traditional questing, ex wow devs, raiding and a hardcore end game trying to make a comeback. Arenas, battlegrounds open world PvP. Yes nothing at all, most of the thig Ive listed mmorpg industry is trying to run from wildstar is the opposite
    Kataryna and Fishsticks like this.
  3. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Wildstar will rock, EQN will suck, so does TESO. Period.

People will get jelly about W* rocking because people will stop playing their <REDACTED>ty games and go for wildstar and will trash talk. Example? Dota 2 fanboys, they are the gayest thing you can see in the internet, they spend all day trash talking about LoL, while we LoL players dont give a <REDACTED> about dota.
  4. CaRaDaGaiTa

Don't mind, play Wildstar. It will be epic.

Minequest or Evercraft?
  5. Mukesh

Mukesh Cupcake

"Win" is highly subjective. If the developers are able to capture what they describe and flesh out their ideas, it will be a win to them. It will be a win to me in the short term as well because it's their ideas and passions that have me interested in W*. It will be a win to me in the long term if a community forms and supports the game for years to come. If it makes a boatload of money, it will be a win to NCSoft. The community is far too diverse to give it a universal label. History will be shaped by all of these influences and will decide its wins and losses far after anyone cares about its opinion.
  6. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

I don't understand why it has to be a pissing contest between games. This is a behavior that gamers exhibit that I'll never understand. It's the same attitude that fosters "CoD is better than Battlefield" when anyone with an ounce of objectivity could see the merits of both games the same way anyone can objectively see the merits of TESO and EQN.

And here you are talking nonsense about fanboys and yet you sound a lot like a Wildstar fanboy to me.
  7. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

What do you mean by traditional questing? You mean go to guy with symbol above head, do what he says, get a reward? That's not WoW. That's like every MMO with a few minor exceptions (GW2, e.g.).

WoW Devs? OK yeah. That doesn't mean the game is like WoW.

Raiding and a hardcore endgame are again, not a WoW thing. It's an MMO thing. Hell, the fact that W* is going for a 40/20 raiding system is a massive departure from the way WoW is these days.

Nothing you've listed except possibly Arenas is something that's WoW specific in any way. Yet there are tons of differences. The combat is totally different, with telegraphs and aiming, a limited action set. The paths are different. Housing is different. The sci-fi theme is different. Crafting is different.

There are far more differences than similarities, and those things that are similar are hardly a WoW specific thing. The only thing that really links Wildstar directly to WoW in terms of game similarity is the art style, which I think is a really good thing.
  8. CaRaDaGaiTa

No, i'm not fanboy. I hate fanboyism, because of the Dota 2 players. I like dota 2.

I like WoW and i think WoW can still be good, wow just need a true rival game! And Wildstar will be.

The moment i watched the trailer in W*... it was magic. I got really attached to the game! I know, sounds stupid, but it's like some "intuiton" telling me wildstar will be really good.

I played those mmos, gw2, tera, swtor, aion, neverwinter, they never hyped me. I played them at beginning, had a lot of fun, but when i reach end game. It sucks... this piss me off!

Honestly, look the things EQnext is proposing... ROFL minecraft, the stupid virtual facing thing, no holy trinity, casual appeal, <REDACTED>ty free class system. I don't need to inject venom to know it will kill me. Someone must be really naive to think this game will be successful!
    Injustice likes this.
  9. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I don't get it either, but the sad ting is it seems to be the norm with the current online generation.

All the back & forth smack-talk really puts me off some communities
    Joukehainen likes this.
  10. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

And yet there you go again, using personal opinion as fact. Just because it doesn't appeal to you does not mean it's going to be a failure
  11. Prophyrian

Prophyrian Cupcake

MMORPG is really just a hype meter. I don't want to bash them, because they are how I came to discover WildStar. But you'll notice that their #1 game is almost always the game that just had a recent media drop, in this case EQ Next.

As for the rest of the PC Gaming/MMO Press, there really isn't all that much for them to talk about/rate. The last two races were pretty much known months ago and just needed confirmation at ComicCon and Carbine went to E3 with the same demo they showed previously.

Wait until Pax or Gamescom this month, that's when you'll start seeing legitimate hype/previews. For now, there has just been too little info for these sites to work with, and for good reason. We don't want the hype train to become unstoppable if the game is not ready.
  12. CaRaDaGaiTa

They will have their playerbase... and ok.
  13. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

EverQuest Next has taken the spotlight because... well it's new and shiny, and they used lots of industry buzzwords, as well as carefully tiptoeing around real questions.

Once the majority of players realize it's just World of Minecraft with a next gen EQ skin, they'll go back to whatever they were interested before.

I've been in the beta for a long while now, I can say without a doubt that the GCD being 2.5 seconds does not affect gameplay like you think it would, considering how they designed the rest of the combat.
    Calsic likes this.
  14. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I have too, and it was god awful. I was pretty sad too, since the story isn't too bad (despite those terrible excessively cutesy gnome type things), and I really liked the graphical aspect of combat. The actual combat mechanics were just dull as hell though, unless I'm missing something important.

The 2.5 second global just felt plodding and terrible, and the rest of combat didn't spruce it up. I checked to see if they were open to reducing that GCD, and when I saw that it was a key element in their design strategy, I decided it wasn't going to be a game I'd enjoy.
  15. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

Yea you're definitely missing things then. They may have stated that the GCD at 2.5 seconds is a key element, but they don't state the fact that they have a haste-like stat that reduces that GCD for every class. As well, for casters you won't even feel the GCD in normal play, as only a couple spells in the entire game have a cast time below 2.5 seconds, and cancelling a cast resets the GCD. It's only melee that feel it, and even then it's only in the low levels when they don't have the abilities that are off the GCD that they weave in-between their normal abilities.

But, nobody ever said the game's combat was revolutionary. It is after all a Final Fantasy game, so it's combat is just going to feel different regardless. I just wanted to clear the air as I feel the game takes an unfair amount of flak for a design decision that isn't bad.
  16. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, I didn't really play their casters more than a few mob kills. I only played to I think level 18 or so, but I never encountered any off the GCD abilities on my gladiator, and nothing in the spellbook suggested that there would be any in my future. I started adding abilities from other classes to mine when that became available, but most of the abilities didn't feel like they added much to gameplay. The 2.5 second GCD remained slow feeling, and tanking an instance just felt plodding as all hell. Maybe I just didn't get high enough level-wise to appreciate it, but a developer that makes their combat punishingly boring for the whole first third of the game is doing it wrong imo.

Anyway, to each their own.
  17. Bigal007

Bigal007 Cupcake

It aint released yet so who would even care, proof of the pudding is in the eating.
  18. StarSloth

StarSloth New Cupcake

I'm tentatively very optimistic for Wildstar (I'm here aren't I?), but it could massively flop too. No way to know until it is released and we've all spent some time with it.
  19. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I think a lot of people go for the current hyped games because of the media buzz. Star Citizen had a huge crowdfunding success that was in the media for what, a year now? ESO, EQN and FFXIV have basically legendary franchises backing them, so they naturally generate a much larger buzz simply by existing.

EQN certainly is attempting some revolutionary things, and committing to permanent change and other systemic changes can bring some fresh air into the genre. Problem is, if it fails - and I have a feeling it will at the very least stumble pretty badly, because trying so much new, you are bound to go in blind for the most part - then some studios might shy away from innovation in those fields, because hey, if EQN fails at it, how could other people do better?

As for ESO, it has potential. It seems like they are trying something fun, and to capture the TES spirit in an MMO. The big failing is the heavy PvP focused endgame, which simply jars a lot with the ESO freedom. Instead, a model more like EQN's sandbox would've benefited it far more.

Lastly, Final Fantasy. Great for fans of the genre, but it seems to be yet another MMO that isn't anything new or innovative. Personally, FF lovers will certainly flock to it, but for others, it might not be anything interesting.

Now as for Wildstar, where are issues with the publicity it generates?
    First of all, it's a new IP. It has nothing backing it except fresh ideas, which versus those old, established IPs certainly comes as a disadvantage. It has to prove itself first. But personally? I'm sure it will, and starting a new IP might be a great thing.
    Then there are telegraphs. A hard concept to get across to people as challenging, because yes. If you see where the bad stuff will be, then it's easy, right? Wrong. Just point anyone to Secret World, and have them run a dungeon. As someone who did WoW raiding and liked it, I found even the early dungeons pretty darn hard and we wiped a good deal, and all the big, bad abilities were telegraphed, so you knew exactly what was going on.
    The art style, aka "lol it's WoW". It really isn't, and we all know that, but how many people glance at a screenshot, see vibrant colors and stylized, hand painted stuff, and compare it to the one, famous game they know anything about? Eyup. Many. Up close the style is more detailed and certainly stands on its own, especially when you look at character design, where those races all feel a LOT more alive than the rather blank faced WoW models. But this again will take time.

So in the end, Wildstar may not be the most hyped game right now. And a lot of the negative feedback imho comes from people looking at these things and either comparing them to what they know, or simply being unable to extrapolate from the material given. Doesn't help that a lot of the gameplay footage is done by keyboard turners who die a lot.

Once the game is out however and the big press offensives have launched, I think word of mouth will help spread the popularity. The big deal I think will be the likely fun and challenging combat, and for many, the fact that yes, Wildstar has endgame at launch. Something many titles can't claim to have, outside of say, marginal amounts of dailies and maybe one small raid, sometimes not even that.
    Kash likes this.
  20. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

This is one of the main reasons why i made this thread.

and by win, really any manner of winning will suffice. As i can not define win for you. Fun, competitive concurrent player base to other known successful games, Reasons why you like it. really anything that this game is a win, not a loss.