1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

All around the web, Wildstar is receiving mixed opinions.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gunghoe, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

LOL. All over the internet? Four sites and that's the pulse? Might as well ask why you create troll threads.

Sites tend to trend towards what their readers like. Right now as an example MMORPG is infatuated with sand box games. That's why EQN is top dog for them.

*sigh* Now I'm aggravated at myself. I said I wouldn't respond to another one of your troll threads. Cudos to you, you got me.

Oh...and so the mods don't get mad. It's win because it will be fun!
  2. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

my strategy is to let the people with degrees in marketing worry about stuff like this. figuring out why millions of forum dwellers think one thing or another is about as useful to me as stabbing myself in the spleen.
    Witless likes this.
  3. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

I don't care what random people think, i care what i make out of it. A lot of judgement is made on incorrect information or some simply like to rile up a crowd.

I care what i see from the game, the last 5 years i haven't been wrong on any predictions regards how well mmo's would do and i doubt i'll be massively wrong here.

Also nobody takes mmorgp.com serious, it's a shill site anyone who's been around long enough know this, they push whatever game gives them the most funds, previously DCUO was also hyped beyond control and they rapidly deleted any negative criticism on the game, handing out bans like it was christmas.

PCgamer is a too broad spectrum, mmo's are generally not that well covered, same went even for GW2 there.

On second thought, do you enjoy these attention whoring threads? asking why wildstar would win, why would anyone care about what game "wins" and what do they win exactly, if they are viable they are viable if they are not the screwed up somewhere or there isn't enough interest for it.

Didn't know game development was about "winning".
    Eternalfootman likes this.
  4. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

Charlie Sheen disagrees!

And on topic, in all honesty why should I care what other sites opinions are when I've already formed one of my own? I think Wildstar will be good on its own, the MMO playerbase is too broad to cover all of the bases and not have any groups of people who dislike a game.

There will always be mixed opinions from other people, why should that prevent you from having one that's independent of theirs?
  5. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Wildstar is being judged unfairly sometimes by it's art-style. It is dismissed out of hand as a "kids game". WoW clone gets tossed around a lot as well. These are stereotypes of course, but it could be damaging opinions on some forums.

Flip-side? A more critical eye is actually called for. We as a community have suffered some seriously flawed titles lately. It is also important to consider the fact that most everything we read or that is said about Wildstar is opinion at this point. Until either the NDA is dropped or the game launches that's largely how it will remain.

Will Carbine release the game that they are promising? Will enough folks from different gaming communities and or new players try Wildstar for it to gain traction? IMO.... That's what it really comes down to.

Personally..... I think we are going to find out the answers to both of these questions soon enough.
    Fishsticks and Gronky like this.
  6. kirkyboy

kirkyboy New Cupcake

Each to their own opinion i suppose with those people. All i know is that this game is going to be AWESOME! #Goodbye real world;)
  7. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I think all the post WoW MMOs failed because they had rubbish raid/hardcore content (or it wasn't balanced right or had bad drops or whatever) and/or PvP. But most of those MMOs were better than WoW in casual part parts of game like levelling and such which last for short time. If W* nails Raids and PvP well (and even adds to it end game hardcore solo content) there is no way they will loose MMO war.
    My only worry is that Carbine wants to measure how fast ppl finish raids and give some special drops for fastest groups. It makes me wonder if raids are really going to be hard or will the difficulty come from a need for speed exclusively.
  8. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Well OP haha...okay. If most of mmorpg.com really hated the game it wouldn't appear on the hype meter as it does. Another thing about mmorpg is that most discussions are full of critical "folks" who just complain about every feature they don't like. That site is also great for seeing how ignorant people are on various games. Been visiting that hub of scum and villainy for a long time ;).

Now lesson time ha. There is something known as the vocal few, who sometimes represent all views, mainly represent ends of the spectrum though, and the others are known as the silent majority. The silent majority is often a huge % compared to those on fansities, or even those throwing their own <REDACTED> over at mmorpg :D.

And sidenote! This game is rather popular on massively.
  9. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, i just know from experience to never trust a word mmorpg.com says. Never seen a site contradict itself so many times as they do.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  10. Carlos Oliveira

Carlos Oliveira New Cupcake

Well, apart from being a stupid question, i have an easy answer.

First -» This game is exquisite because being a sci-fi mmo, and you don't see a lot out there. It's not only fantasy like 90% of the mmos (WoW, Guild Wars 2 so on...)

Second -» This game has cartoonish modern graphics and a beautiful crafted world with a lot of things to explore.

Third -» This game has features that are very intelligent, like telegraphs which is unique in it's own way and will make leveling your char very fun. Currently the devs are working on making leveling not so boring because each monster will have it's unique telegraph and will do other ones at random.
    Don't forget that the devs told in a video that good healers and good tanks will stand out because of the mechanics of the game.

Fourth -» Path system that will do wonders for those who like to level at their own way and housing will have it's own fantastic perks which will wonder the user.

Fifth -» The direction of this game project like humor and interviews with the races etc, is really hillarious.

Of course I could add more reasons to the list but I don't want to do a very long thread.
    Concluding all, if the devs continue to go this path that they have been going, this game is a must have.
    I don't care if a lot of people hates this game, I just care that this game meets my requirements and so it already won for me.
  11. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

I could argue all day to you but again you seem to be a guy that hates WoW.

SURE the gameplay is different but the game stilL LOOOKs the same from the outside, you even confirmed it. And you are saying raiding and stuff is a mmorpg thing. Look at the recnt MMORPGS raiding is a dyeing trend that Wildstar is trying to revive.
  12. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I don't hate WoW. Whatever gave you that idea? I don't play it anymore, but that's because I got tired of it after playing it for 6 years straight, not because it's a bad game. If I hated WoW, it never would have kept my attention that long. Hell, I even praised the art style in the post you just quoted, so I don't know why you'd think I hate the game.

And that's exactly what I'm saying. People are looking at the art and claiming it's WoW, when that's pretty much the only thing to link it to WoW other than that they're both MMOs.

Raiding isn't a dying trend. It was in Rift and SWTOR, and a crappy version in GW2. Just because other games haven't done a good job with it doesn't mean it's a dying trend.
  13. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

Rift and SWTOR were both games that had to switch from sub based... lol Just my point, also how was it in any way present in GW2?
  14. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

So what if they went F2P? That's most MMOs too. Rift is one of the more successful post-WoW MMOs out there.

GW2... OK, so I extrapolated incorrectly on that one. I saw what looked like raid gear badge vendors when I was in a main town at one point, and there were portals to what looked like raid zones, but I never leveled past I think level 35 or so, so I just assumed that raids were what those were.

Even then, there have been enough MMOs put out in the last several years that featured raiding that I don't think you can suggest that it's a WoW thing specifically. That would be like suggesting that shooting things with a gun from first person perspective is a Halo thing. It's a feature of the genre more than the game.

Anyway, what evidence do you have to support that raids are a dying trend?
  15. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

On topic, WildStar won't impress a lot of people who haven't researched it because its main attraction is its array of features and design goals. For people who judge a game based on a brief article or a screenshot or two, there isn't a lot there to blow them away. It's also a new label, one that doesn't have the automatic hype engine provided by a series like Elder Scrolls or Everquest. On top of that, it isn't promising to reinvent the wheel in a strange new way. You need more than thirty seconds to adequately explain and hype -why- WildStar has such potential to be an amazing game, given that it's the product of years of observation of the genre, and thirty seconds is at least twice as long as the average attention span.

The most traded form of currency on the internet is uninformed opinions.

That said, if WildStar does end up becoming a major hit, I think it will accomplish that through creeping growth over time. There are enough people excited about it to provide a stellar launch, if not necessarily a record-breaking one, and if the Carbine team manages to reach their design goals and realize their vision, they'll be in a good position to steadily expand their customer base. That's the "lead to gold" transformation that's proven so elusive for many of the genre's hopefuls, and why I think prelaunch hype is of such limited value. All WildStar has to do is survive the early game and grow, because thirty minutes of playing the game will, imho, sell it far more effectively than any number of months of hype.

Off topic...

You should probably consider the fact that one of the major complaints about TOR's release was its lack of endgame before you cite its retention issues as proof that raiding is on the decline.
  16. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Not really worried... The success of the game is not measured now, but will be measured after the game launches. So as long as they deliver a polished and solid product, it will do fine.
  17. zeewut

zeewut New Cupcake

Four sites isn't considered all around the web...

The amount of hype and PR going into games these days has made some folks feel burned after experiencing nothing of what was advertised. Rift, GW2, D3, NW etc., just to name a few of my all time let downs. It's hard to trust the PR machine. It's like movie studios putting the best and funniest scenes in the trailer which you find out after you spent the money (Gworn ups 2...).
  18. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

I think people at mmorpg pride themselves on being "hardcore" gamers so anything with stylized graphics is seen as childish. That's a generalization obviously, considering not all of them feel that way, but that seems to be a big issue with people. All I care about is the depth and complexity of the content, and that's what has me excited about wildstar. I could get specific about what excites me but i'd say its generally the adventure like quality of the game. I grew up playing spyro 1,2,and 3, marios 64, banjo kazzoie, crash bandicoot ect so I love the fact that they are reviving some of those aspects from platforming games, like double jump!
  19. Duncan Ellis

Duncan Ellis New Cupcake

1) Raiding is not dying. Hardcore raiding has been seriously wounded with the lack to real progression fights and trick/RNG/goofy one shot mechanics presented in the place of real game play and boss fights. Also, every game that's had raiding since WoW has suffered from near unplayable bugs for some of the bosses and in a few cases the game itself on release. Rift is the only game that I'm aware of that didn't have this problem to the level of "screw this" /ragequit.

2) MMORPG is infected with "grimtough" gamers. People that can't separate themselves from dark forboding environments. I swear the MMO population is stuck on some goth, Twilight, White Wolf, wanna be vampire trip that it can't seem to release itself from......

3) Gaming sites long fotold of the failure of WoW and the enevitible defeat it would suffer at the hands of; Age of Conan, Aeon, Warhammer, SWToR, and others. A grain of salt is recomended.
    Witless likes this.
  20. Rackham

Rackham Cupcake

Just comparing Wildstar to EQN, there's a few things that struck me as funny.

Graphics: There's a large camp of people who don't like the cartoony look of the graphics. However seeing the same "cartoony" style being launched in EQN, there must be enough people out there (myself included) saying they like the cartoon look and want more of it!

Plus I think developers are finally catching on to the longevity that a highly stylized look has. WoW has survived almost a decade with the art style they've got. Can't say the same for other MMOs.

And frankly, if you cant' get super realism, then go highly stylized. I really wish Elder Scrolls Online had more of a stylized look. Not a big fan of their graphics at all.

Innovation: Yes, I tip my hat to EQN. The permanent change mantra they're uttering is a great seller and arguably, what any MMO developers SHOULD be chanting. We are at the stage now where people want a "living breathing world" that will change as the game ages. My only hesitation with that is it puts all the responsibility on the Devs to keep pumping content out at a regular basis. So far the only company that's come even close is GW2 with their monthly update cycle.

Lastly, the sense of heritage. EQN is drawing upon the millions of players that are familiar with Norrath. It's like an old friend who's come back into your life and EQN will probably succeed in the sense that most players who have played EQ1 and EQ2 will at least fork out the cash for EQ(3)N.

Wildstar is completely new. No previous games to raise familiarity. And a relatively new genre so to speak in the MMO world. People are resistant to change. Resistant to anything their unfamiliar with.

My bet however is on Wildstar. Why? Because you can't deny that EQN has one factor Wildstar doesn't: Sony Online Entertainment.
    Lest we forget how SOE has made some serious flubs in the past when it comes to pushing their MMO product.