1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

All around the web, Wildstar is receiving mixed opinions.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gunghoe, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Bifurcation

Bifurcation Cupcake

Pfft mmo forums..... You will never find a more wretched hive of momma's boys and larpers.
    Apostate and Lsya like this.
  2. Pretelethal

Pretelethal Cupcake

oh no people have different opinions about games. That's bad everyone needs to love Wildstar
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Wildstar is gonna win cause its got DARGONS!
  4. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

and we can play as draken
  5. Lucker McNoob

Lucker McNoob Cupcake

I would say we have two kinds of mmo players: those who like where the genre is today and those who don't.

The latter want the next big thing, something to push the genre forward and create something new. I don't think those people care much about Wildstar, because what it does is really just improve things that others have already done (the only exception so far being paths). It caters to the hardcore mmo-crowd that loves the genre as it is, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But from my perspective that answers the question of why many people seem to be on the fence or "hate" the game.

(And also the hype machine has not started yet.)
  6. EtherealOmega

EtherealOmega Cupcake-About-Town

Are we really talking about this? LOL

Ever since the first person called it a WoW Clone (because using similar graphics in a game make it a clone, so therefor Call Of Duty is a Counter Strike Clone) this was going to be a mixed review game as most of the internet is too lazy to read up on something before passing judgement.

Who cares what the trolls in various forums has to say about much of anything?

EDIT: This is new IP from a new studio so people will always be a little skeptical. WoW had 10 years of WarCraft RTS to fall back on, EQ and UO were EQ and UO hehe, and SWTOR and SWG had Star Wars (that it failed was sad) to fall back on. The closest thing to compare this world to is a Joss Whedon TV Show, Firefly (my favorite of his).
  7. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

I don't actually believe what you think I believe. Raids aren't a dying trend, most MMORPGs tend to however dodge them or do them wrong, WildStar is taking them head on. At this point honestly most MMORPG's keep becoming more casual and moving away from most hard core content which includes raids.
    EtherealOmega likes this.
  8. EtherealOmega

EtherealOmega Cupcake-About-Town

Carbine has spent as much time on the endgame solo/group content as the leveling experience. Casual players get confused by this and then crawl back into their little LoL cave.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  9. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

There are many reasons why Wildstar might be huge, and many reasons why Wildstar could fail.

Something I haven't seen talked about much is simply the art direction! Many members of my guild are simply not interested in Wildstar because it looks too childish. I admit, I am sort of the same way but the feature list is just about winning against the art style.

Beyond that, I think Wildstar's biggest potential for failure is the massive scope of the game. Carbine are trying to please everyone, from the most hardcore raiders and pvpers right through to the roleplayers, crafters and casuals. That is a very big aim, the same aim that SW:TOR had, and I'm not sure whether anyone is capable of pulling that off. SW:TOR, for example, provided features for everyone but ended up pleasing no1: the pvp was rubbish, the raiding was rubbish, the crafting was rubbish, the leveling was rubbish....you get the idea! By trying to please everyone they lacked the dedication to make any of the features good enough.

Ofc, Wildstar's biggest potential for failure is also their biggest chance for success! If they succeed in building a game that adequately caters for all playstyles then, in theory, their playerbase could become huge and the game could be massive! It will certainly be a real challenge though as each of the major playergroups have vastly different priorities, but hopefully Gaffney and co can pull it off.
    Guinn likes this.
  10. Guinn

Guinn New Cupcake

its a win Because

1. The humor is awesome.. why so serious huh?
    2. I like toonish.. like WoW
    3. Dev's are listening to their fanbase
    4. It reminds me of oldskool WoW + all kinds of new stuff is added.
    CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.
  11. Rare Spawn

Rare Spawn Cupcake

The thing you have to remember when looking at MMORPG.com is that what is featured on the site changes with whatever the most recent 'big news' is released about one of the MMOs they are watching. The reason the site is all about EQN right now is because they just got all that new info on it last Friday. Stuff shifts on that site all the time, including the hype about games.
  12. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Minus housing
  13. Livnthedream

Of course minus housing. Every single game has features one does not like, that is the nature of games. I just wish more of the devs held to a similar line of thinking that Gaffney has expressed.
  14. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Hey, each to his own. ;)
  15. Xevius

Xevius Cupcake

I do this real moron thing, it's called thinking, and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions. ~ George Carlin

I like to apply the ^^ quote when it comes to a lot of things in life, especially my entertainment.

That's all I have to say about that.
  16. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

I have learned not to trust gaming sites :up:
  17. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

Very true.

Though I didn't like the idea of player housing either until I started seeing what they're doing with it. I may change my mind if the world ends up feeling desolate and empty as a result though.
  18. Livnthedream

In every single game that I have played that has had housing I have not liked it. The closest I have come is Skyrim, and that is through the objective benefits it provided, not through it actually being a house. And even then, those benefits I enjoyed I would rather just have a bank and being able to pull my stuff out and show it off in a city.

I have drawn conclusions based on the data I have seen and uncovered from multiple sources. I do not come by my hate lightly.
    Kookieduck likes this.