1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Am I the only one that doesn't want Transmogrification?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by WakeskaterX, May 28, 2013.

?

Do you guys want transmogrification in game?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2013.
  1. Yes.

181 vote(s)
    66.8%
  2. No.

65 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Possibly, if done a different way (explain).

25 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

"turned off in PvP" mean the PvP specific areas like arenas, battlegrounds and warplots, or does it also include when flagged voluntarily or in PvP-server contested zones?
  2. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

I don't understand why this topic even gets debated. Why should someone else have a say in how I represent my character? If the devs give us ways to individualize our characters, it's a good thing. I get why wardrobe appearance could be disabled in a ranked pvp setting. But in the rest of the game, it's my character - my choice.

Or do some of you just go up to random people on the street and tell them that their shirt doesn't match their pants, or that they are too old to be wearing a skirt that short? You might think it, but it's up to them to dress the way they choose.
    Haoli, eselle8 and Naunet like this.
  3. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

No I don't even think it should be off in ranked PvP, either. Let me wear my costumes in all areas at all times, or don't give us costumes at all.
    Naunet and Rarlian like this.
  4. Trijity

Trijity Cupcake

I don't understand how people think a lack of transmo revokes any ability to wear what you want. Good god did people just start playing mmo's since transmo was created a few years ago?

Dress up as a pirate? Cool, get a pirate costume. Wanna put on a suit and tie? Fine. Really liked your older tier gear? Awesome, put it on. I just don't like the "fakeness" that comes from fighting an uber dragon dressed as hobo the clown because I didn't like the way the artists designed my gear that was made for fighting said dragon.
  5. Calsic

Actually, I quit WoW before transmog was even a thing. Also, WoW did not invent the idea of cosmetic armor.

The rest of your post is equally off the mark for me:
    You're carrying the idea of personalizing our gear into very bizarre territory with this argument. Fighting Dragons dressed as clowns? Come on. lol But if the devs decide it's good for the game to have pirate costumes, I'm not going to say they're wrong. I just won't wear one myself. But you shouldn't have the right to tell me I can't.
    Vyver and Leiloni like this.
  6. Doomgrin

Problem is "just don't like" is purely subjective. Appearance tabs, transmogs, etc are what allow for personal preference and playable stats to come together.
  7. WakeskaterX

WakeskaterX Cupcake-About-Town

It goes like this: If you are wearing a t-shirt and shorts in the middle of winter, sure you have the freedom to do that, but it does not provide you the warmth of a sweater and sweatpants, and so while you have the freedom to wear whatever you want, it doesn't provide you the "stats" or "bonuses" that wearing something warm would.

These arguments with RL examples are flawed.

I'm fine with a costume slot, it lets you look the way you want, and gets turned off when you enter a bg or arena. So MOST of the time you get to look just how you want, no matter how ridiculous it looks. I'm fine with this even if I lean the way of against Xmog.
  8. Doomgrin

And if you are made of rock, do you real care what covers your butt in the cold? (I saw your own statement about RL flaws, just talking to the crowd nothing directed really at you)

Costume/appearance slots are also a big relief for designers as they can design whole sets and not worry too much about how the mix-and-match looks during progression.

I honestly feel sorry for people in PvP that are so hung up on which tier you see a guy wearing. Makes me think they prefer to run away when faced with a challenge. If you are playing rated games, you should already know you are going in within a certain margin of "accomplishment."
  9. Calsic

Good point. I understand the argument, but I've never bought the idea that you need to recognize the tier that someone is wearing in order to be effective in pvp. To me it always seemed like it was just a way to find the weak guy to gank, or the strong guy to avoid. But this idea is too entrenched to get away from now.
  10. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Or the strong guy to focus. I still disagree with turning it off at all, but I view turning it off in BGs as an acceptable compromise /shrug
  11. WakeskaterX

WakeskaterX Cupcake-About-Town

I am not really on one side or the other too much in this argument, but the arguments with what you wear IRL are flawed, that's the only point I was making. Because, IRL what you wear impacts you based on what it is, a bullet proof vest provides protection but wearing a spaghetti strap tank top won't.

Thus when people say "I can wear whatever I want IRL so it's fine if a dress gives plate armor stats". This argument is flawed. That's the only point I was making.
  12. printerpaper

printerpaper Cupcake

I could take it or leave it. I enjoy the old-school skill of being able to recognize a player's gear simply by looking at what they are wearing, but in the end, it doesn't add much, even in PVP when sizing up an enemy. The pleasure of making item skin combos is fun for some people, and it does allow the devs to get a little extra cash by offering pay-only skins for further customization. In the end, the transmog gives more than it takes away from the game.

Just keep a few really rare/powerful items that can't be transmog'd and you'll keep that old-school trophy aspect. For everything else, let em do what they like with their skins.
  13. Trijity

Trijity Cupcake

I wonder if I thought of another solution besides the toggle that may please both camps of the argument. As much as I hate making gear X look like gear Y in a permanent perspective, I *love* items in WoW like the noggenfogger, savory deviate delight, and orb of deception.

images.jpg

The permanency I think is what gets to me, these other special effects utilize an item, are temporary, and are even dispelled if you are killed. Would people be ok with the idea of keeping your wardrobe slots, place whatever gear you want in it to change your aesthetics, but to "activate" this look you can use a trinket that maybe Carbine placed into an epic quest chain, or maybe crafters can make it for you.

The item in my vision works exactly like Orb of Deception in WoW does. Click it and boom, you are now fighting in your wardrobe you picked out. There is obviously a cooldown on this trinket and a duration of your transformation. If I kill you, or you die, the effect wears off and you can reactivate it again as soon as it's up. I think Orb of Deception was only a 30 min cooldown, and I'm not sure what would make a good duration time.

Only real difference is that this trinket will effectively activate your transmo and not do as Orb of Deception originally does and change your race or something. I feel that I could live with this. It's easier for me to swallow than just going to a vendor and permanently making my T10 gear look like a pirate suit, or the other wardrobe perspective where your pirate suit just somehow covers your T10 perfectly....

(Orb of Deception WoW examples)
    download.jpg
  14. DrShemp

DrShemp Cupcake

I don't really mind transmog. It allows people to look how they want to look without having to sacrifice stats or look like a clown. If I want to know someones stats I'm going to inspect them and check their stats. If a transmog system isn't put in place then I hope a dye system so can at least have my armor be the same color.
  15. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

I will never understand why people get in a tizzy over what other people wear.
    Haoli likes this.
  16. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

That's actually worse than previous suggestions, because it would require an investment of either money or time (and if it's an epic quest chain, a substantial investment of time at that) to gain a basic quality of life feature that every major MMO that I can think of already has. I'd be particularly dubious if it was present in a game that had any sort of a cash shop, since that's a feature that could be easily exploited.

I can perhaps understand a demand for a niche game with no costume tabs, but I wouldn't be playing it. I'm not okay with my character walking around in hot pants and a tube top or in mismatched clown armor. I'm still not okay with it if only some players who choose to turn off costume tabs can see that, or if I'm only stuck with it for awhile until I can grind enough to afford a trinket. There are just too many other MMOs that don't put me through that kind of aggravation.
    Haoli, Vyver and Naunet like this.
  17. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

Fashionistas! Fashionistas Everywhere!
    eselle8 likes this.
  18. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

If you make a "putting racing engine into classic car" argument, you are legally required to add in a Dukes of Hazard reference. The classic one, not the remake. Jessica Simpson is NOT Daisy Duke.
  19. Sol

Sol Cupcake-About-Town

Okay, extend your logic - It's a game with magic in it, which isn't in real life. So someone decided to make a pink dress with all the attributes of medieval knight's armour.

What I think needs to happen is that all armour fits within the theme of the game. That way you aren't going to get ridiculous outfit combinations and allow people the freedom to wear what they like within those bounds. Fashion is very much alive and a big part of character ownership!
    eselle8 likes this.
  20. rivalcycle971

rivalcycle971 Cupcake

Just do what rift did.. no one looks alike in that game and you can pretty much look however you want