1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Am I the only one that doesn't want Transmogrification?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by WakeskaterX, May 28, 2013.

?

Do you guys want transmogrification in game?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2013.
  1. Yes.

181 vote(s)
    66.8%
  2. No.

65 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Possibly, if done a different way (explain).

25 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. agien

agien Cupcake

The wardrobe system or transmog as the WoW people like to call it adds to the game far more than it hurts it. If somebody is die hard against it frankly I think they are just selfish or short sighted.

It gives you a reason to go back to old content to look for the cool outfits you missed.
    It makes crafting armor worth a bit more because people will buy armor for not just stats but looks as well.
    It allows you to specify how you want to be represented in a game that much more.
    It adds variety to the game and with that makes more populated areas more interesting (lots of variety is just more interesting to see).

-Things like changing the looks of new raid gear takes away from that gear and just turns it into numbers?
    New raid gear tends to be about the numbers more than the looks... If somebody wants to use it as a status symbol good for them. If they do not care for the look and change it more power to them. Why is it a concern of anybody but the person with it on?

-Immersion?
    Because as you level up it is more immersive to be in a bunch of random gear that makes no real sense together other than it was the best stats you could find.

Most rare body in the game and I am the only person to have it? Does not mean a thing if it looks dumb and I disconnect with my character because of it.

Options are good. Having choices is good. You want to limit yours go for it but do not try to take them away from everybody ells.
    Psistorm, Sonntam and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  2. agien

agien Cupcake

Both of those things everybody involved more or less opt into.
    I would go as far as to say people that bothered by a persons hair, cloths, or name have more problems than that person.
    It is pretty easy to just ignore somebody and move on. Things like an ignore list make it even easier in a game.

The only real appeal I see to HOA is it gives you a little control over what kind of person your neighbor will be. Your neighbor being something you would have to work at to avoid.

Can not say it would be that hard to just ignore somebody in a game full of tons of people. If they insist on harassing you well that is something outside of this thread.

Most public RP servers I know of in games have the same name rules as normal servers. As long as it is not offensive nothing will be done. If somebody wants to go by the name Ben Dover and you don't think it is funny just move on. If somebody wants to be xXxSephirothxXx o well once again ignore them. If you cant stand seeing the name in chat add them to the ignore list.

In the words of a great captain, "The power is yours!!".
  3. WakeskaterX

WakeskaterX Cupcake-About-Town

At least as far as I've experienced something like xXxSephirothxXx would be ban worthy on RP servers. Some of them are pretty strict about how you name your character. As in it has to be a legitimate name. Anyway it was just an example. Other people DO affect your game play experience.

I'm not using this as an argument for/against Xmog/Xmute but only to say that the argument for it because it doesn't affect you if other people do it is flawed.
  4. frogbound

frogbound New Cupcake

I personally like the idea of looking like I WANT TO look like..
    Where is the uniqueness in your character when everyone looks the same?
    I want to be recognizable from my looks.
    When I enter a Bar I want people to turn their heads in my way and start mumbling.
    Like: "Isn't that the Dude that did something cool/aweful the other day?"
    I love it when your name reaches a place before you.
    I remember the times in Vanilla WoW, when I looked up to people who looked different than the rest.
    When higher Tier Sets were rare and something not everyone had. I wanted to be someone like that.
    Someone wise once said: "Fine feathers make fine birds." and I like to be able to live up to that.
    Not in case of uber awesome gear and the top notch raider, but in my own playstyle way.
    There is so much you can do in a game like that.
    Helping people out etc. People may forget your name but when you looked cool, they might remember that.
    "Remember that guy in the white hood the other day? He helped us out before, maybe we can try and find him so he can help us again?"

I think you get the point.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  5. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I don't like transmog. I want to look like a clone and so should everyone else.

Am I doing it right ?
    Xlugon Pyro, Naunet and frogbound like this.
  6. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

With an appearance system of some form, I can have my spellslinger always wearing some badass longcoat, and a fedora, and some kickass boots. I can make an appearance for that character and stick with it.

Without an appearance system? Well, this old Penny Arcade strip sums things up pretty well. ;)
    Chomag and frogbound like this.
  7. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

If you don't like it, don't use it.

And please, don't call it "transmo". Transmogrification refers to the WoW system, which is in no way the standard - and certainly not the best way to implement armor customization.

On a side note, I was thinking and I realized that though I above and beyond prefer a wardrobe system to armor re-skinning, there is one benefit that skinning has that wardrobes do not: the ability to put low-level characters in badass armor. As a roleplayer, I make a lot of RP-only alts, and I love dressing them up in thematically-appropriate outfits, which is super easy to do in, say, TERA. Every armor that requires level 58 or under is eligible as a template (meaning it can be used as a skin template to put on another armor), as well as any crafted armor, and one level 60 set that drops from an end game dungeon. I will spend hours upon hours (and more gold than I care to imagine, though I have dropped 40k+ on a single, level 11 alt once) setting up the perfect outfit to reskin onto an alt that will, in all likelihood, never get much over level 11 or 12, but will see hundreds of hours in playtime in roleplay.

Can't really do that with a wardrobe system, as it generally maintains level requirements on gear. :(
  8. Trijity

Trijity Cupcake

But that's the thing, I don't use it, and yet it still effects my gameplay :(

Is one of the dumbest thing's I've ever read. Isn't that the point of a transmo/wardrobe system in it's entirety? For the people that do like it (blah) you are farming new gear *specifically* because it looks good and you can overlay it onto your actual gear you are wearing.

Me on the other hand if there was a piece of gear that had superior stats AND looked better than what I had, I would be as ecstatic as all get out.
    Dnevnoy likes this.
  9. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Ok, if one of the rules on the RP server is "no transmog" then I wouldn't mind, but it's not something that should impact the normal servers.

They have every right to care, they just don't have any right to do anything about it. Their right to control what the world looks like ends at my character's bounding box.

Just wear a lot of black and heavy make-up and you should be fine. ;)

See, now this I don't know about. I do see some value in having to earn the skin with a given character before being able to wear it. If you're level 50 and have badass endgame armor, but want to reskin it with starter gear? Knock yourself out. If you're level 10 and want to reskin your level 10 gear with badass endgame armor? Eh, I think that does take some of the value out of it. I don't think a character should be able to transmog any gear that they can't actually equip, although it's not something that I'd fight against any more than this paragraph.

It's all about choice. Sometimes I do get a piece of new gear, and it's both the best stats I have for that slot AND the coolest looking piece available. In which case, yay! Saves me a Transmutation Stone. In plenty of other cases though, the stuff with the best stats doesn't fit my look at all, so I transmog it into something else. My main has six slots of exotic gear, none of which are in their original form. My second fully geared 80 has 8 pieces of exotic gear if you include her weapons, and the only thing left in its original form is her gloves. My third fully geared 80 is also fully transmogged except for her helm, which I left alone because I turn it off on her anyways. My other characters are not yet fully geared, but of what exotic pieces they do wear, most have been transmogged, except for gloves on two of them and boots on one. If the piece fits, great, if not, I don't want to be told I can't fix it.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

It was actually the cool appearance of raid gear that got me into raiding in the first place. In other words, I DID raid to get cool looking gear. However, after I began raiding a bit, I began valuing the stats more and a transmog/wardrobe feature would give me the best of both worlds. :)
  11. Shaethro

Shaethro New Cupcake

The main flaw I found with no Transmog is the when between item tiers. You tend to have to look like <REDACTED> from right after you go into a new tier to the point you are finished it. It's very much a first world problem, but it is really crappy to force someone to look so ridiculous when gearing up. Feels like you are punishing them for trying to progress when you should be rewarding them.