An analysis on all things Eldan

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by InnocentCivilian, Mar 10, 2013.

1. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

1)How Eldan Stuff Looks Like:

The hallmark of Eldan technology is the use of four main colours: White, Gold, Green, and Black.

The White usually makes up the ‘outer’ chassis of Eldan tech, whereas the Black is the ‘inner’ chassis and worky bits. Gold is used for highlights

01_tech.jpg
    01_Tech2.jpg

Another visual indicator of Eldan technology (at least with regards to humanoid designs) is the favouring of a pseudo-splitting of the upper arm, most easily-seen in the Mechari. They don’t do this with all their humanoid designs, but it seems to reoccur on some. On the black portion of their tech, the designs also often have a banded pattern running along them.

02_Humanoids1.jpg
    02_Humanoids2.jpg
    02_Humanoids3.jpg

I have to admit, part of the reason why I did this is not so much because we can’t tell when something is Eldan, but because it’s fun to imagine the kind of discussions Carbine’s art team must have had when devising the look of Eldan tech. ^___^

2) How do the Eldan Look Like?

When doing ‘research’ for this, I realised that maybe we DO know how Eldan look like. While we don’t know for certain, there are some compelling hints.

FIRST, the Eldan build a lot of humanoid robots. If they were a race of furry, tentacled, eight-eyed creatures, you’d think they’d build stuff that looked a little more like them. Now, humanoid robots is not in itself evidence that the Eldan are humanoid, but I think it contributes to that theory!

SECOND, Eldan consoles are pretty high! We can access them, but we’d probably have to stand on tiptoes. Eldan were possibly about as tall as a Granok. It looks about nice and eye-level for that chap.

03_Height.jpg

THIRD, (and here’s where I get into ‘that’s-a-bit-of-a-stretch’ territory), I believe that Carbine chose the name ‘ELDAN’ for a reason. To evoke a very specific set of associations. Consider the latest League of Legends champion ‘Quinn’. Her creators have said that that name was specifically chosen to sound both tomboyish and intelligent.

So what does the name ‘Eldan’ evoke? One of the first things I thought of were the Eldar from Warhammer 40k, an ancient race of space-elves (sorta). In Tolkien, the name ‘Eldar’ is also used for a certain type of Elf. That’s the vibe I get from a name like ‘Eldan’.

FOURTH, consider the following:

04_faces.jpg 04_faces2.jpg

ooooo faces. If I had to guess, ELDAN faces. Why? Again, their names might be supposed to evoke an elf-like association.

Note the high cheekbones and slender features. When I first saw the trailer, I was willing to dismiss that face as being ‘anything’, but that particular kind of facial structure has reoccurred since then, among Eldan stuff.

Speaking of elves…

04_faces3.jpg

This giant, pointy-eared statue in the Northern Wilds utilises Eldan colours (White, Gold, Green), and none of the locals in this region seem advanced enough to construct something so monolithic. It stands to reason that this was built by the Eldan and depicts a female one. The face is very similar to other images before.

04_faces4.jpg

So, that’s my theory for now, Eldan LOOK like space elves.

FIFTH (this one’s also quite a bit of a stretch), in the ‘Meet the Dominion’ trailer, the figurative humans are being ‘lifted up’ by the Eldan. Is the human-looking hand supposed to be just that – a representation chosen by the Cassians because they don’t know how the Eldan look like, or is it supposed to be an Eldan hand? I actually think it’s the former, though I’m throwing this out there, anyway.

05_Hand.jpg

3) Who is this Toric dude?
    Toric’s primarily white armour with gold trim is in-line with Eldan aesthetics, leading me to believe that he is one of the Luminai: a human who is also part Eldan.

06_Toric01.jpg

See that symbol on his forehead?

Looks familiar!

06_Toric02.jpg
    06_Toric03.png

It's the stylised Dominion logo that they plaster all over the place, so it’s a safe bet that Toric’s loyalties lie with them.

06_Toric04.jpg
    This Cassian lady’s dialogue suggests that Luminai are rarely-seen. The arrival of a Luminai in Bloodfire Village seems to be something of a big deal.

If Eldan do indeed look like space-elves, then that would explain why Toric still looks pretty human despite being part Eldan.

Do the Luminai know what’s up with the Eldan? No idea! Though they clearly get first-pick on all the cool tech they left behind, as evidenced by Toric’s getup.

4) What were the Eldan up to?

Well, we don’t know that either! What we DO know is that they’re up to all sorts of crazy weather shenanigans! Consider the Northern Wilds, with their big weather control tower.

Here are two snippets from the Eldan’s science logs:

07_stuff.jpg 07_stuff2.jpg

In a nutshell, the Eldan are converting Elementals into Loftite Crystal which they use to power their machines. They make reference to ‘the great work’ and ‘the project’, though what those refer to is anyone’s guess!

The first log also tells us something about the Eldan's character: there's definitely a sinister edge to them, as evidenced by their casual disregard for the elementals' lives.

07_stuff2a.jpg

Another clue is this massive, floating structure in the Galeras zone known as ‘The Focus of Air’. Its purpose is unknown, but it seems to be responsible for the strange dust storms in this zone.

Since the Focus of Air is a level 60 raid, how cool would it be if the experiments we saw in the Northern Wilds were what made the construction of the Focus of Air possible, and that it is part of the culmination of whatever this 'Project' or 'Great Work' is? It would be a nice way to tie the player into a story thread which began from the moment they arrived on Nexus.

Again, messing with the environment seems to be something of a significant goal for the Eldan. And to me personally, a name like ‘Focus of Air’ begs the question of whether or not we’ll see a ‘Focus’ for the other ‘elements’ of nature as well.
    07_stuff2b.jpg

Fate Flyer’s thread may answer some of those questions: http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/the-planet-nexus.1561/

As you can see from the images in that thread, a vast potion, if not all of Nexus, seems to have some sort of underlying non-natural construction. Could Nexus itself just be one big terraforming playground? That would account for its diverse range of climates and environments, but I suspect that Carbine and the Eldan would have something far grander in mind.

Ok, so environment stuff aside, what else do the Eldan do? Well, we also know that they’re big into augmentation.

07_stuff3.png [​IMG]

Hey look, these Augmentors don’t care if their masters aren’t around anymore, they’ve gone ahead and started augmenting newcomers to their planet. Besides turning you into a cyborg, it’s not exactly clear what the process of augmentation does….makes you into a 20-man open-world raid boss? Presumably you gain special powers. That augmented lady looks like she’s floating around, which humans don’t normally do.

[​IMG]

Also, take a look at this turtleshark! Do those markings on its shell look natural to you? Maybe yes, or MAYBE the Eldan didn’t just experiment with the weather, but had a hand in creating their own unique lifeforms. That said, weird patterns do tend to occur seemingly naturally on creatures on Nexus, such as many of the other inhabitants of Deradune.

Also, this just in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I dont think that this is a coincidence. The three glowy points on the face, the fangs, the way the upper torso is mounted on three legs, the way there are those two things jutting out its back. The silhouettes are just too similar! Plus, the original filename for that Eldan machine is 'Eldan Commander'. The Xenobite Queen is also a commander of sorts, controlling the Skeech.

Alternate theory: Nanobots are the tools, 'Augmentation' is the process, 'metal is perfection' is the goal? (or maybe the Eldan just made their commander robot look like a Xenobite Queen because they thought it looked pretty rad :))

5) One last thought
    Nobody could get near Nexus before because of the Eldan's planetary defences. However, now they've suddenly just stopped? We don't know much about why they stopped, but I'm inclined to believe that they just entered a 'standby' mode as opposed to being destroyed.

Which begs the question: why have the Eldan, only now, chosen to make their planet accessible? If they set a timer (e.g.: wait 1000 years, then deactivate), why did they choose this specific time? oooOOooooOooo

Just in case it wasn't clear though, that was completely baseless speculation on my part. There are any number of reasons why the weapon systems may have stopped including, as Patrician points out, just being worn out by time. ^___^

I thought it’d be cool to collate these various little tidbits of information. One last round of wild and baseless speculation, because come March 22 (and eventually, the beta), I have a feeling like we’re going to be learning a lot more; and dissecting media for clues won't be what it used to be. :p
    Salamangka, Elward, Naunet and 31 others like this.
  2. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Thanks for putting this together, you have a great eye! It will take me a little while to process all of this. :p
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  3. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Just wow. Amazing analysis of the Eldan. Crazy detailed!
  4. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Very nice!
  5. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Fate Flyer and InnocentCivilian like this.
  6. InnocentCivilian

7. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

I...am soooo happy right now! :D You have no idea.

This thread is just made of pure win. You, sir or madam (your profile, ironically, is a bit a vague :p) have a real eye for detail and connecting things/putting things together! (I was freaking out, showing all this to my boyfriend [AxiomAwaits] as I was reading this.) I love how the Eldan do seem to have a distinct color scheme in their designs, and not only that, but also a reoccurring specific look to their creations. Now that you've pointed it out and given enough references, I can clearly see that.

The repeated faces in their architecture definitely lead me to believe that those are indeed perhaps stylized depictions of themselves, almost like the ancient Egyptians or the Romans.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Not always were the statues very accurate, but they portrayed the people in the way the artist or the person commissioning them wanted them to look. Perhaps too the Eldan are seen in their own art in the way that they wanted to be seen, with ultra high cheek bones and slender, elegant, elf-like faces, yet with an obvious air of nobility and malevolence, perhaps to strike fear into those gazing upon them, or maybe because the Eldan were typically sinister beings. That, or maybe they simply lost a sense of morality, abandoning their own ethics and tossing them out the window for the sake of science and mental evolution. One cannot experiment to one's full potential if ethics are standing in the way, after all.

The idea that the Eldan were making use of nano technology and altering one's self leads me to believe that they wanted to better themselves. Perhaps the nanites were originally intended for medical purposes, to reconstruct limbs or to repair internal organs that were damaged or something along those lines. Then, as the technology evolved, so too did the nanites purposes, expanding to an almost infinite number of possibilities, which they no doubt sought to exploit.

It's fascinating to me the level of detail in the turtleshark's shell. The way each notch is so completely square, creating perfect right angles, tells me that that cannot be natural. This could just be a look that Carbine was going for to mix things up and make it fun and eye-catching, or it could be something a little more, as you suggested, InnocentCivilian. I wonder if the Eldan were experimenting with creating new species. Perhaps the turtleshark isn't natural in and of itself. Maybe the Eldan were working on making hybrids of creatures, seeing just what sorts of combinations they could produce.

I am so excited to find out more and to hear what Carbine has in store for us next! One thing's for sure: I will never stop being intrigued! :D

Thank you so much again, InnocentCivilian, for making this truly incredible thread. (I did make time to reply tonight, by the way. I wouldn't be able to fall asleep without doing so!)
    Salamangka, Rai, Izukar and 3 others like this.
  8. InnocentCivilian

I just asked a bunch of questions, and didn't really provide many answers. :oops: I blame not having much to work with. :p

Again, I'm glad you liked it! :)
    This is a really neat idea! Maybe they wanted to experiment on themselves, but wanted to test the technology on other, lesser races, first. Maybe the nanites got out of control somehow and that is what caused the Eldan to disappear. Or maybe the Eldan used the technology to transcend this universe or whatever. :p

I actually just remembered something I forgot to include: nobody could get near Nexus before because of the Eldan's planetary defences. However, now they've suddenly just stopped? We don't know much about why they stopped, but I'm inclined to believe that they just entered a 'standby' mode as opposed to being destroyed.

Which begs the question: why have the Eldan, only now, chosen to make their planet accessible? If they set a timer (wait 1000 years, then deactivate), why did they choose this specific time?

Imma go add that to the first post :p.

EDIT: Actually, I forgot to mention another good point you raised - the fact that the Eldan's depiction of themselves don't look too neutral. They do have that haughty air of superiority about them. And you're right, Fate Flyer, I do think that the Eldan are probably straight-up sinister. Originally, I thought that the Eldan may not be bad, but that the Dominion perhaps misinterpreted the Eldan's instructions. However, the Eldan seem to have a casual disregard for other life, as evidenced by their killing of elementals to power their machines. Also, the very process of augmentation has a really creepy Borg-like feel to it. I mean, their Augmenters have frickin' buzzsaws and a drill! I don't think they were designed to Augment willing subjects. >_>
    Salamangka, Izukar and Fate Flyer like this.
  9. Irimii

Irimii Cupcake

Oh wow. Thanks for this, it really was fascinating read and must have taken awhile to find all of these little details and piece them together :) I really love posts like this.
  10. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

Amazing compilation :eek: I'm stunned.
  11. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

This. Is. FANTASTIC.

Seriously, thank you! I had not even noticed the color correlation between all the Eldan stuff!

And the augmentation part has been something bouncing around the back of my mind since they first released that information. I cannot WAIT to see the stories involving that. There's so many fantastic possibilities. Missing settlers, monstrous wildlife, ah the fun!
  12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead New Cupcake

Wow, very detailed analysis. Good job!
  13. Joshue Monk

Joshue Monk New Cupcake

Awesome job Innocent Civilian! Really gets the creative juices flowing. I now know what my first pet will
    be! :D
    [​IMG]

On a more serious note, it'll be interesting to find out where the Eldan went and when this happened or if they will return to take back some of their ancient technology. Really creates a nice lore feel to the game!
  14. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

This is such a lovely thread. Kudos, Likes, Winning the Internets points... all of it!

I've always suspected the Eldan were a tad sinister just because of how they handled the Cassians. They sort of supported the idea that the Cassian people, with the proper guidance, could walk all over every other race.

Now that I know about this:

[​IMG]

It's clear how they think. Any silly "lower" life form is a perfectly acceptable sacrifice for their research, and for progress.

It actually fits in quite well with my plans for RP and how I wanted my Scientist to be led down that path but ultimately (hopefully) see how detrimental such a journey can be... depending of course on what happened to the Eldan.

As for the automated defense theory, well right now I think that's up in the air. Yes, they could have just left the planet and opened it up at this specific time, and are waiting somewhere (hidden) and observing everyone.

Or, they really did mysteriously disappear due to some catastrophe brought upon by their own tampering with the natural order of things and the automated defenses wore down over time, or were on some kind of time limit just in case this happened and the Mechari came back.

It could also be a thing that was just uncovered and "fixed" by Dorian too. Maybe when he arrived, he knew how to disable them in some way... maybe he used an improbability drive...? >.>

15. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

Amazing stuff here! Such well founded speculations, it's awesome to see all the references! Very good job, I'm looking forward to seeing how much this thread got right ^^

I'm afraid I don't really have anything bright to add myself though.
  16. Arawulf

Arawulf Owner of WildStarFans.net

This is great! I never noticed half of what the OP pointed out. Excellent work - more people need to see this :D
  17. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

[​IMG]
  18. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

First of all thanks for compiling all that, was a good read.

Regarding the eldan nanites - they could be sentient/programmed along the lines of Kryten's in Red Dwarf and the modifications to things be their way of 'helping/improving' (much like when they 'rebuilt' Lister into a body builder while replacing his arm). They just wandered around doing their thing and the many variations on Nexus are the result.

For the Eldan disappearance I'll hedge my bets on Nexus being a giant portal/gateway (the various elemental foci being either locks or power sources of some kind?). That could explain the Eldan vanishing (they travelled elsewhere) and the defences becoming inactive could be due to something simple like power reserves running out or maybe sort of a time lock style mechanic (defences are active for a long period after using the gateway to stop anything else going through in either direction?).

Would be a good mechanic for extra content too if the foci do act as a sort of combination lock - successful raids (or any content type) could open up new destinations for raids (or any content type).

Lol I'm probably way off but its fun to speculate (and look back on these speculations) and even more fun to find out!
  19. InnocentCivilian

INDEED! I updated my original post, to make it more clear that what I said was just unfounded speculation on my part. I did try and work hard to make sure that I never present opinion as fact, but I guess that one slipped through. :p

I also added in that thought of yours that they coulda just worn down over time. I guess I was looking for something epic that I didn't consider the mundane; also, I just assumed that Eldan tech wouldn't wear out since so much stuff on Nexus seems to still be operating, but it's as good an explanation as any. ^^

EDIT: AAAAAAAARGH. Guys, I tried to be as thorough as possible, but I missed something!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think that this is coincidence. The three glowy points on the face, the fangs, the way the upper torso is mounted on three legs, the way there are those two things jutting out its back. The silhouettes are just too similar! Plus, the original filename for that Eldan machine is 'Eldan Commander'. The Xenobite Queen is also a commander of sorts, controlling the Skeech.

NEW THEORY: Nanobots are the tools, 'Augmentation' is the process, 'metal is perfection' is the goal. (main post updated :p)
    Salamangka likes this.
  20. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I was actually pondering, as I looked at the pictures of Eldan faces, how some Egyptian statues of people are very "idealised" and perfect, in their eyes, while the person they actually depict could be crippled, "ugly" or otherwise, and I had this idea pop into my head that perhaps the Eldan were actually small, fragile creatures, perhaps even kind of ugly looking, and that they used the stylizations and tech to portray a "better" image to the races they encountered, as well as tech and augmentations to both maintain this public image and like you said, better themselves. Perhaps the Mechari were created more to impress and intimidate the Cassians rather than in the image of the Eldan? I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but it could be an interesting twist on things...
    Izukar and Fate Flyer like this.