1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Angry Joe's thoughts on Wildstar...

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Chaddicus22, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Chaddicus22

Chaddicus22 New Cupcake

What are your thoughts on watching this piss poor first impressions of W*?
  2. Arcane Avis

Arcane Avis New Cupcake

:cautious: To risk sounding judgmental myself, do people actually watch these guys and respect their opinions...? Much of this video isn't even impressions of the game so much as it is ridiculous, nonsensical, back-and-forth moronic gibberish.
    tyranade and Lsya like this.
  3. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

He still gave the game his "blessing", so to speak and I always hate the little fan thingies like "The angry army". I know, I know I'm a bucket of sunshine.

He isn't a huge WoW player so he isn't into the whole hotkey MMOs and likes more action-orientated MMOs like GW2 or ESO. In fact, his very first MMO review was on GW2 and I guess that gave him the MMO bug to try out other MMOs.

That being said, at least he gave the disclaimer that he hasn't put nearly enough time in the game itself to rag on it too much. I'm sure he'd have a blast trying out the PvP and the housing that it provides... And yeah, the starting area does look a bit meh for the guys that aren't into reading and things RPG other than killing.
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

They kind of strike me as the type of people I would rather stay very far away from.
  5. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

Aside talking with his eyes closed, I really can't hold anything against him. He stated that it wasn't his thing and it's true, Wildstar is not a new type of MMO, it's a basic type of MMO with improved features. Not everyone bites into that. Personally I'm here because of that.

Anyway, Angry Joe might not please a lot of people with his stuff because he is one of the least passive-aggressive reviewers on the net, he spends less time worrying about displeased fans and actually launches some information your way as opposed to several I won't name who spend way too much time and energy trying to say something sucks without actually saying it.

Besides, he only played a little.
  6. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

Pretty much that, it was a tough sell for him to begin with and the fact that he left it only on that note has some silver lining on it.
  7. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

My thoughts exactly. I can't stand these type of reviews.
  8. Chris StarShade

Chris StarShade New Cupcake

These sorts of things always exist more to be entertaining than anything else.
  9. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

So he's saying the tutorial and very early levels are underwhelming and don't pack enough of a *bang* to hook people straight away.

I find no reason to doubt him based on what he showed.
    If this was an F2P game such a starter experience would spell doom.
    Seeing as this is a P2P title there's 2 questions:
    1. How many people could dismiss the game based on such reviews and not even buy it?
    2. For someone that does make a purchase and gets the initial 30days, do things get more fun within that timeframe to "hook" them before the month is done?
    Is WildStar a slow starter in other words that builds momentum.

Either way I do think the game would benefit from "gripping" the player in the first few hours, if it doesn't it's a problem, big or small remains to be seen.
  10. Chris StarShade

Chris StarShade New Cupcake

It will not be a problem as long as the start does not leave players confused and wondering what to do.

Having no compass is a bigger problem than having the compass point in a slightly uninteresting direction at first. Planetside 2 had this problem until SOE got wise and gave new players a tutorial instead of just dropping them in from orbit on the hottest fight on the map.

Also, as I am sure many people are aware, it's still only beta.
  11. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

The start is kinda crappy. I know several people who are in the beta and they all say the same thing (for Dominion). But that's ok. The start does not have to be incredible, there has to be a crescendo of events that give you that ultimate feeling of epic along the line not straight up. He used Guild Wars 2 as an example. I did not like the start of the game. It just felt like a forced event. But I did enjoy the smoothness that followed and eventually led to an epic fight with a swamp-demon-creature.

So on that account I don't agree with Joe. If everything is epic, then nothing is, really.
    Ianpact likes this.
  12. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

I like Angry Joe, hell I am even subscribed to him. But I will admit that I find this review a bit bad, even for first impressions. The tutorial from what I've seen is the VERY bottom of the peak and is pretty much a general mechanic lesson area. I do not believe in ANYWAY that this is a area of the game good for first impressions, and considering the devs say the game builds up in combat complexity....
  13. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Oh.....if only we had a lore/story face-off, i'd be showing him that he doesn't even know half of the story from the beginning.

So he shoots down the whole story while only knowing so much....:cautious:

I guess someone here hasn't paid attention to the roles for each class...:rolleyes:

He sometimes say things I can agree on, and some are his opinion....if only he didn't say so many false stuff.
  14. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I don't watch anything self-titled or over 7 minutes long on youtube.
  15. EtherealOmega

EtherealOmega Cupcake-About-Town

This is awesome advertising. Do people respect his opinion on games? Yes. Do I? No. But this will expose W* to hundreds of thousands of people who otherwise would not even know it exists.

EDIT: Besides, Angry Joe is frickin hilarious!
  16. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

The game is not his cup of tea, he said it him self, people are entitled to their opinions, and i kinda understand that.
  17. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

That's not how I'd describe it. Have you watched any of his others? This one almost qualified as glowing adoration. His first ESO one was scathing in comparison.

I've only recently conveted to Wildstar fandom, after watching combat videos and seeing how you can change your builds and everything, but I have the same impression as him when it comes to all the glowey-clicking. Every video of low level content seemed to be 80% clicking glowey objects. It doesn't look exciting.
  18. Greatheart

Greatheart Cupcake

Must admit, I love Joe and he does have a few points. Compared to GW2 the starter area is stupendously boring. As people have stated before if the first area doesn't grip you, you'll probably loose interest pretty quickly. I've played most F2P games in my void of MMO's recently and most of them I didn't even get to half of the max level, lots just the starter area was enough to put me off. GW2 did it as most speeches should be, short and sweet.

Its a shame to see non-enthusiastic reviews like this, although he didn't rule out WildStar it wasn't a glowing recommendation. It could put off some of the less informed players out there. :(
  19. cirk

cirk Cupcake

So average joe here does a first impression video and is not impressed with wildstar. Seeing how it is his personal opinion there is nothing wrong with that. But it is always nice to see the usual swarm of self-justifying gamers are still in good spirits. It is not his fault, that the first piece of content new players experience is the worst wildstar has to offer.

You can't expect your customers to invest their time and money into an awful experience and hope they muscle past it to reach the promised lands of past lvl 15. This needs to be addressed. The diehard fans are not enough to form a healthy customer base for a product of this scale.
    Alenaar likes this.
  20. Alenaar

Alenaar Cupcake

I have to say that guy who offers me both pros and cons in his opinion is much closer and acceptable for me then someone who only knows how to say "this is good" in xyz phrases.

If I were introduced to WS by this video I would deffinitelly not be put off.