1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Angry Joe's thoughts on Wildstar...

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Chaddicus22, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

As was mentioned by Cananh, his first impression of ESO was very critical. From what I hear, much more so than this. His current review of ESO's pvp, however, is practically glowing. Though, he does still point out some things he feels are flaws. I think if he were to do a second review of WildStar, perhaps without an on-looker over his shoulder and was able to get deeper into the game, he would indeed glow once again.

While I have a hard time disagreeing that the starting is somewhat mundane looking, I'm just not entirely convinced that the beginning needs to be grandiose. I would love to see an introductory video with the epic feel of DCUO. Something that just makes you go, "Yeah, this is going to be AWESOME!" (Even if it wasn't quite as much so as the video led you to believe. lol) In addition, maybe a bit more of a "hectic" fast past starting area would be beneficial, just to help build some starting energy to push you though some of the early mid levels.

As for being the hero at the start, I just don't believe that is the way it should be. Were this a single player game with no interference from other players, then yes, I would expect to be the "hero" to the game. In an MMO, I feel if you want to be a hero, then it should be as a hero to the other players. Whether it's as a 40 man conquer, a highly sought after craftsman, a pvp guru, or maybe even just that cool laid back guy that seems to know where everything is, who to talk to for what you want and always seems happy to lend a hand be it for dungeons, questing, or getting that silly tedious achievement.

My personal opinion on Joe's review, is to not think to hard about it. It wasn't great but I won't go so far as to say it was "unfair". My suggestion, is to instead think about how we as a community can encourage Carbine or even other developers to think about how they come across in that first couple of hours and what they can do to make it interesting without "giving the game away" at the start.
  2. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

Oh come on, there's no such thing as a "great opinion", it's only what you want to hear or what you don't want to hear. So he said some stuff fans don't agree with, big deal. I suspect the devs won't pack up their toys and leave, the game goes on and the world keeps spinning.

If you want to hate this guy cause you think he insulted your game, be my guest, but that's fanboy thinking.

Angry Joe is only biased by his opinion, unlike many other streamers and reviewers who kiss so much ass that it makes mine itch. I respect the opinion of a person that is only biased by what he or she enjoys or what he or she dislikes. So far Angry Joe is the only one I've found that seems at least, close to honest.

I want to see a honest opinion that does not filter information and attempts to hide and ignore faulty issues that determine the quality of the game like I've seen some doing in SWTOR and Warhammer Online and several other games whose names escape me right now.

Games are good or they are not, simple as that. And it's not based on your personal opinion, that's more passive-aggressive bull<REDACTED> that lets people say <REDACTED> without having to back it up with realistic arguments. Good games are determined by the general opinion. By how many people choose to spend their time in it, by how many choose to pay for playing the said game.

No one gives a <REDACTED> about your personal opinion, not the devs and not the rest of the world. What matters is the general opinion that demands attention and gets it almost all the time or it's ignored and when the general opinion is lowered and the public moves on then the fanboys and the butthurt devs can talk about how disappointed they are that the fans were not "loyal enough" like SWTOR.

I'm sick to my <REDACTED>ing guts of watching reviews that strive not to offend anyone, not the fans and not the possible haters and the only way to do that is to say absolutely nothing, which is why I'd rather watch Angry Joe who is guaranteed to give me some information that I can process with my own human mind than to waste my time with a sea of d-bags that tell me nothing.
    Azzurri likes this.
  3. Cesmode

Cesmode Cupcake-About-Town

I used to watch his vids and take what he said into consideration but never took what he said as bible. He also did just flip flop on TESO now saying its not bad and he will probably buy it. Also looking at a few other aspects of the game myself via videos and reading some more posts on it, maybe my mind is changing about it...

After this weekend's Wildstar beta(which I did not participate in! :( ) I see more and more people that are disgruntled with Wildstar than ever before. I know its ultimately up to me if I want to try it out or not, but it just seems that a few more people are liking TESO now and a few less people are liking Wildstar...
  4. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

That sounds good, to me at least. IF the game is actually hard and the difficulty is turning people off, that makes me really hopeful for the state of the game and the developers in general.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The problem I see comming is that the people from the weekend beta have a distorted view on the game since they could only play for a small time.

They will miss the end-game totally and will now evaluate the game on the low level areas.....which may or may not result in negative attention to the game since the begin levels are easy.
    Blue Tunic Man likes this.
  6. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

I disagree. If you can play a game for an entire weekend's worth of play-time (whatever that may qualify as for you) and you're still not invested in the game - it's not the player's fault. I don't buy the whole "well you only played the first 15 levels! You don't really get to the good stuff till level 50!" So now I have to play the game for a month straight just to get to the good stuff? Doesn't sound like a great investment of my time.

The entire game should be enjoyable, not just the endgame. You don't sell a zelda game and expect people to play through the entire thing just to fight Gandolf Gannon at the end.
    Jarinolde and Blue Tunic Man like this.
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well as you can read I was mostly talking about the difficulty.
    While most people would understand that leveling is way easier then dungeons/raids, but still we already see people say that it was ''easy''.

And others (who haven't played WS at all) will therefore see those comments and can think the entire game will be easy.

And again ''they will have a distorted view on the game'' cause I'd be willing to wage money on it, that some people who'd been in the weekend Beta will suddenly seize their opportunity to ''thoroughly'' examine the entire end-game on what they know from the first few levels, and tell others about what they think the End-game will look like.

Not talking about ''if you are in the game'', but more talking about how raids will work....they will begin basing that on assumptions they made in the first few levels, while not completely misplaced it will still be different.

I agree that if you aren't pulled in by level 15 you probably aren't gonna do so. But my worries weren't about that AT ALL. My worries are more about what people will ''post'' with their so called ''knowledge'' on the entire game while only seen the first 15 levels.

Aka. The end-game speculations that will come....:cautious:

As for your Zelda comparison:
    [​IMG]
  8. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

Watched it.....Hated it....little angry myself due to the fact that he wasted a beta key just to make a mockery of a trial. For some reason I thought "PotHeads" were more mello?

I think he should stick to his full time job making blue crystal <REDACTED> in the back of an RV.
  9. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

I don't always agree with Joe, but that doesn't make his opinion any less valid. Totalbiscuit just put out a new video that I think we should all see and really applies to this.

10. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

I would just like to point out people would say the exact same thing other way around (Leveling was good but the endgame is not), in fact that was the main complaints for GW2 and SWTOR.

Again this is a TUTORIAL on a MMO game, admittedly Angry Joe is not a MMO player in the first place but TB said himself that a MMO is hard to review in general and he is a former WoW player that played for years...

First Impressions on MMO games is rather foolish if you ask me. Look at any other MMO out there, a very good majority of them do not try to show the flashy stuff immediately (This includes even WoW nowadays) Infact the only MMO games that I know of deliberately tried to do that was GW2 and CO with its crisis starter zones.
  11. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

You wanna talk about wasted beta keys.

Listen to Preach <REDACTED> on Wildstar while giving a ok on ESO and then talk about wow and warlords of draenor

click on the wildstar button in the video to get to that part or listen to the whole thing whatever.
  12. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

Who is the fool though?

Is it the player who judges an MMO poorly based on early poor content? Or is it the developer who made that content?

There are a LOT of MMOs on the market. Most players don't have dozens of hours to play through half the game to decide if it's worth buying and many free trials and betas have level or zone caps so that's not even possible. If you want to capture and hold a player's interest then you need to do it quickly.

Games like GW2 have not only shown that this is possible but they've set a standard which players will now use to judge other games by.

After having spent many hours watching solo gameplay videos of varying levels, dungeons, adventures, housing etc. I'm reasonably confident this is an awesome game which I could happily play for a very long time. But the very low level content I've seen in numerous videos looks boring. Just following gloweys to click for ages and ages and ages with an occasional fight here and there. It's not going to affect my purchase decision but if they don't spice it up I could see it costing them a lot of potential customers.
  13. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Considering you can do 1-20 in about 4-5 hours without going mental, 2-3 if you're going for it. The challenge ramps up pretty quickly, unless you're struggling in which case it's probably right that you stay at lower level for a bit longer.

The early game is basic, but that's by design rather than oversight. I can understand why being shown nothing but 1-15 content for a few months could be a little tiresome after a while though!
    Deavon likes this.
  14. ImpactHound

Nope, I sure don't. :laugh:
    Fishsticks likes this.
  15. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I find it really funny how people will poo poo someones 'opinion' because they didn't agree with it. It's not like he's forcing you not to try out the game when released or if you get into beta. He makes a lot of good points in his video, but I guess if you don't want to hear the negatives of the game and tune them out and just hear the positives go ahead .

I'm not a fan of Youtube personalities but I like Angry Joe and put more stock in his impressions than most Youtubers. I'm not saying I always agree with him because I don't, but just because you don't agree with him and saying his opinion is <REDACTED> because he doesn't like the game you've been following for so many years is crazy, but that's your opinion too.

Also, the the guys from the PG show are not that far off in their views in my opinion, from the streams and info I've seen it's nothing new I have not seen in the past 10 years since the release of WOW, and I hate to compare the two, but I find my self doing it because they are very similar.

But this is my opinion, believe what you want, tell me I'm wrong, oh well :)
    Roadblock likes this.
  16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

YOU ARE WRONG!!!

Just kidding :D

I personally don't mind their opinions...but I do crunch my teeth everytime I hear something that is not true (facts). For example the ''then change your healer into a tank''......:mad:

But indeed, they can have their own opinion. Though I wish they checked their facts first :coffee:
  17. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Why would I want to run through the early game in 4-5 hours? Are you saying the devs designed the early levels to essentially be so boring and basic that they should be completed via speed-run as fast as possible? I don't think the suggestion here should be "oh well, you can just skip through the boring parts" I think it should be, "Carbine should attempt to fix the boring parts".

Btw that was not my experience, more like 4-5 hours to get to level 10-12. Then again I actually read (some) of the quests and lore and bother to look at what's around me, I'm sure you could ignore everything and spam-click the quests and be done fairly quickly.
  18. Todhaseo

Todhaseo New Cupcake

Never watch any angry joe reviews,most of his <REDACTED> are a load of garbadge he's also a bigot.
  19. ImpactHound

Your opinion can't be wrong, but it's worth very little coming from an Ohio fan.
  20. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

What is Michigan's record against OSU in Basketball and Football in the past 12 years? But I digress :D