1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Any secret to finding a successful raid guild on launch?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Brackets, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Brackets

Brackets New Cupcake

Obviously, for a game that's already out, it's easier to figure out which guilds have staying power and which do not.

But for a game at launch, however, it can be more difficult. For instance, in SWTOR I chose poorly.

Are there any secrets or tricks that one can employ in order to find a quality progression raiding guild upon the launch of a game? Many people form guilds while having big-eyed dreams of server firsts, etc., but the amount of those that fail is high. How do you pick the guild that doesn't fail?

My first and only trick is to avoid guilds that think they're going to dominate everything on their server: raiding, pvp, the economy, whatever. No, you're not. Most successful guilds specialize.

But aside from that, you can find 10 potential raiding guilds, and nine of them will fail. How do you find that one out of 10 that doesn't?
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The most boring answer ever but:

KEEP TRYING till you find it!

Although it can help to check what they've done in other MMO's, a guild who has been raiding (at a high level, so no WoW raid finder guild) at other games aswell have some higher chance to be ''that one''.

Don't just join any guild, ask them questions aswell when they ask you questions about why you join.
  3. Brackets

Brackets New Cupcake

The problem with "keep trying till you find it" is not being able to get in on the ground floor. Maybe the right guild for you already has all their stalker dps spots or medic healer spots taken because you chose poorly, for example. Meanwhile, you're stuck in a guild with 4 mouthbreathers and 6 open raid spots because there aren't enough members. Maybe the guild you should have gotten into is leading progression while the guild you got into has members that can barely kill the first boss because freeform damage and moving a lot turns out to be something they suck at.

Just going down the list of potential guilds on these forums is an exercise in "can you spot the bulls*$t"
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Just follow my second tip then?
    Look how they were in other games.

The problem is that in the end you will never know for sure if it works out!

There is no secret algoritm that you can use to find the perfect guild!
  5. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

I trust ol' Pez's leadership. When it finally gets down to it, once the game is actually released, I know he'll make the right decisions. That's good enough for me.
    Also, I remember checking his WoW armory and seeing a bunch of server firsts to Lv. X and things he's never even mentioned. Humble, kind, has a sexy-ass voice, and to top it off: I like our co-leader too.
  6. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Interview the GM. If he or she declines/doesn't match your expectations/doesn't give straight answers then keep trying.
  7. Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar Cupcake

Do your homework. A lot of it. We have a little over two months until Head-Start so that should give you plenty of time. Read guild recruitment threads, visit guild websites, and send PMs to GuildMasters like myself. Claims of domination at this point are moot so it's best just to find a group that fits your personality.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The Dominion Dominates anyway....so he just needs to look for Dominion guilds = only half the work :up:
  9. RedJustice

RedJustice New Cupcake

Look for established communities. New guilds can be fantastic, but if you want to hedge your bets, a gaming group that's been around for a while must be doing something right.

Look for activity (forums, teamspeak, events, etc.).

Look for a well-thought out guild leadership structure, and guild rules.

Lastly, look for how members behave themselves. Obviously what each person is looking for differs, but ask yourself if they share your sense of humor, if they are really kind/respectful, into RP, or w/e it is you are looking to connect over in the game.
  10. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

ok so here goes :D

Im covering a lot of old ground in this but I figure Ill jhsut fire away anyhow

- Know what you want

Know what you want out the guild, this will help when the rest follows. If it's progressive raiding you can weed out the pvp guilds, the casual raiders, the rp guild etc on recruitment threads

- Check the recruitment threads

Take what I said last and check recruitment threads as well as social media and streams. There are obv a number of places forums guildex and twitter you can check out . Assuming you know where to look filter the stuff you don't want and get reading

- Filter the chaff

Take the time to check the recruitment threads. Any guild that hasn't taken the time to describe who they are, what they do and what they expect in a recruitment thread isn't worth your time. First impressions are EVERYTHING and a guild that doesn't understand that is falling at the first hurdle.

- You cant win em all

This is an extension of the last bit of advice. DO everything guilds are great but only if you really are going to do everything and really if you are organised. Beware of the generic PvX No1 guild.... 9/10 this translates to "we don't know what we want to do"

(that's a personal commentary as much as anything)

- You have much to learn young padawan

Young guilds have no established history, new guilds are hard to pin down. Im not saying don't go with new guilds just be 100% sure you do your homework with them. Be aware you are taking more of a risk for a higher rate of failure than an established community

- Check their history

check the guild website, community forums, twitter, facebook and youtube/twitch. Look to see what they've done, who they've played and allied with as well as evidence of this as best you can. different communities have different media outlets but established ones will have them and they will be easy to see what they are about using them.

- check the membership

check forums, community and their own sites to see their activity, their ts usage and understand what they are like. Also you may see people you know

- talk to the members

If you are still unsure talk to the members, ask tio drop in on their raid in beta or run a bg , level with them and quiz the guild leadership. They are selling themselves to you as well

- try them out

decent and experienced guilds commonly have trial periods for your benefit and for theirs. Use this approach. Try before you buy check out a community and if it doesn't fit talk to the leadership and they will point yu in the right direction if you ask for help.

- use the community

the people here will help you out, we talk to each other we know the good guys and bad talk to us and we shall try our best to point you in the right direction

erm... that's just some generic pointers I threw up in 10 mins

hope it helps
    RedJustice likes this.