1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Anyone else feel like Granok lore is a bit OP? :O

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by InnocentCivilian, Mar 1, 2013.

1. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

A band of primitive Granok (apparently without the assistance of the greater Granok race) could hijack Dominion technology, learn how to use it, and send their entire invasion packing! :eek:

And this was only 'hundreds of years ago' according to the official website; so the Dominion invasion (which arrived in "overwhelming force") would already have have had Draken, and then there's the Cassians and Mechari on top of that. A band of Granok kicked ALL Their asses!

I know that guerilla warfare can be a hard thing to combat, but it seems kinda out-of-character for the Cassians to go: "Well, this planet's not worth the trouble; let's go to the next one!" (even though that's exactly what they did :p)

Now I'm all for making each race's background badass (yeah!), but I can't help but feel that the Granok's is just a bit too much and makes the Dominion as a whole feel like a bit of a joke :p. How can they take Nexus if just a rebel force of Granok can repel a massive Dominion invasion? :alien:

Trivia: this thread was originally going to be about the Draken not getting a sufficiently-badass story (I was going to compare with the Granok), but then I thought that the Draken's backstory actually is pretty badass and that it's the Granok's that is too badass. :laugh:
  2. Rylia

Rylia Cupcake

If this motivates more people to roll Granok, I'm okay with it. I still see them being the least popular race overall.
    WildHawk likes this.
  3. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I think the Granok did so well on their home planet because they were

A.) Fighting on their home turf and knew the lay of the land and

B.) Were protecting their rights and way of life, and probably fought all the harder for it.

It makes sense that a race of giants who have skin like rock would be able to do pretty well. Add to this the fact they managed to overrun a camp and steal tech and it makes sense they achieved what they did, especially with their cause behind them.

Look at history IRL for other examples of superior numbers or technology being overrun by less advanced armies, or even smaller forces.

However, because the Granok did all that they broke the rules of their people and were shunned and banished for it. Now they are mercenaries and have fallen in with the Exiles, sure, but they've lost their way by doing this. They were nearly unstoppable before, sure... But now? Well, I'm sure they are just as tough, but some of those extra "OP" edges they had while fighting on heir own planet to save their people might have been lost.

In short, Granok are still bad ass, but they've got some soul searching to do and that always takes a little bit of the wind out of your sails. I think they make an excellent addition to the Exiles in that way, but don't make it seem like they overpower the Dominion. :)
    Rhynox, starspun and Maddog Charlie like this.
  4. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

It's ok Innocent.. No need to be scared.. Just join The Exiles and the big scary Granok won't smash you into a million itty bitty tiny pieces, kay? :up:

:p
  5. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I'll be dodging Mechari after this but the truth is the Dominion let the Granok take the technology and have a 'victory' ;) in order to give them a tech + morale boost so they'd provide better sport for the Draken.

Honest!
    Guide and Zerdav like this.
  6. Teerack

Teerack Cupcake-About-Town

It's not OP. It would be OP if the lore was "the dominion beats everyone lawl" and it would also be a lot more effortless on the writers part. The lore behind the Granok reminds me of the Krogan and I think having a race similar to the Korgan is a really great idea.
  7. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with you Innocent, I thought the same thing when I read their lore. But they are not alone, humans have similar OP moments. I find Exile lore implausible, which makes the whole lore of the game a bit lame.
    Khrusky likes this.
  8. InnocentCivilian

A rolling boulder gathers no moss. :whistling:

'Home turf advantage' makes the most amount of sense I think, but still; overwhelming force. :eek:

Presumably, the Dominion's been conquering lots of planets and defeating the indigenous people of those worlds, so you'd think they'd have it down pat; but the Granok are clearly an exception.

I do think it's cool that each of the races in the Exiles were exiled for different reasons: the humans because they disagreed with the ruling caste, the Aurin because their homeworld was overrun, and the Granok by their own people!

I could go into IRL history a little, but a very different set of rules tends to apply to fantasy universes :p. Like take the Vietnam War for example; I don't imagine the Cassians having the same issues at home that the USA would have because the Cassians as a whole are big into the idea of manifest destiny - much more so than any IRL example because everything is amped up in this game's universe. From the tone of the 'Meet the Dominion' trailer and whatnot, you can see the sort of rules in which this game's universe operates. I just feel like this particular aspect of the Granok breaks rules that Carbine set up.

But it still bugs me that conquering Nexus for the Dominion is considered easier than conquering Gnox; Malvolio didn't even want to talk about it :cautious:. You'd think that the Dominion would have tried taking Gnox again to end the embarassment, but it seems like they just straight-up can't.

Meh, I guess it is jsut me who feels this way. :oops:

I already am leaning towards Exiles, though I have my heart set on Humans - I play them in every game I play :p.

But yeah, I'm glad the Granok are on the Exiles. ;)
    Patrician and Maddog Charlie like this.
  9. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

As the others said, having the home-turf advantage and everything to lose can do a lot to David vs Goliath. Besides, the Dominion might have gotten cocky and not thought Gnox worth sending damn near everything they had; all things considered, the Granok were just one candidate for assimilation among how many more brutal alien species?
  10. FelixAkuma

I'm going Exiles too and i will be making a human but i'll be making a Granok Warrior Soldier for sure as an alt :p
  11. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

They are freaking rock people. Of course they are OP! It's like a zerg of Things!
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  12. InnocentCivilian

13. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

If the Granok ended up the victors then the Dominion force wasn't all too overwhelming. :p
  14. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

15. FelixAkuma

Good man :p
  16. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

I hope not. Even though I'm rolling a Mechari as my main, I certainly plan to roll a stogie smoking, beer slamming Granok warrior alt.

And Patrician is spot on with the home field advantage thing. When you are fighting for your home it's personal. I have some real life experience fighting in wars and I'm of the opinion that even with overwhelming technological superiority you would be a full to think fighting an insurgency will be caketown.

Besides the Granok are bad asses I'm not surprised to see them give anyone a run for their money.
  17. Rylia

Rylia Cupcake

There's nothing wrong with being rare - in fact, I normally gravitate toward unpopular races to stick out. What WildStar must avoid is female dwarf syndrome. :ninja:
    Tiberius likes this.
  18. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Valid point.
  19. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I'm fascinated that you find something specifically implausible with Exile lore in a universe with "magic" pistols, ore that makes you float, Lizard-Dragon people with tails who perform blood rite magic, and a sentient robot species powered by some kind of glowy crystal!

I really am very curious what exactly you have found in the Exile lore, specifically, that makes the game lore a "bit lame" because suddenly things are implausible. >.>
    Luciamund and FelixAkuma like this.
  20. Loveless

Loveless Cupcake

Well, they may have been able to defend their pile of rocks, but they couldn't defend tree-topia with the rest of the Exiles. Maybe we should have sent the bloody Planet Reapers to rock town too!