1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Anyone else feel like Granok lore is a bit OP? :O

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by InnocentCivilian, Mar 1, 2013.

1. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Ah but sadly you're not that intelligent and you underestimated the Granok's :p
    Loveless likes this.
  2. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Planet reaper tech also may not have been invented yet. The ravaging of Arboria happened recently, actually close to during the discovery of Nexus. The attempted conquest of Gnox happened centuries ago. ^^
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Plus, who wants to reap rocks... you can get them most everywhere :)
    Patrician likes this.
  4. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

But only certain sentient types can kick your little butt :p
  5. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

To be fair to the Draken their beliefs were used against them. I also wouldn't be suprised if that duel wasn't as fair as even the Cassian Emperor might have thought it was.....
    moneda likes this.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

What do you think is fair? I think it's fair to use something extra to make sure you win and rule over an entire race to boost your own forces to make the domination of the Galaxy even faster! Well i think that's how the dominion looks at it ;)
  7. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Ever since the Dominion reveal I've believed that (a) the Draken would have crushed the Cassians in an all-out war and (b) the Cassian Emperor cheated. I don't have proof but I don't need any! :p
    Lumzk and Patrician like this.
  8. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Actually, I totally believe this too. Why would the Mechari leave something as important as that to chance?
  9. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not that ridiculous. I am aware this is fantasy, but I'm talking about storytelling. To avoid any confusion, what I really mean by implausible, is bad. I was kind of sugar coating I guess.
    I find Exile lore to be bad storytelling. Ofc, we don't have a lot of details yet, so I'm hoping for some redeeming factors, but that's how I see it.
    Khrusky likes this.
  10. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Yeah but I'm actually really curious! My post sounds tongue in cheek, but I really DO want to know, what part feels or sounds like bad story-telling to you?
  11. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Okay, so the best account of the War of Gnox is from this WildStar Wednesday article. And the Dominion actually was winning, but not by much...

... so Durek and his gang simply tipped the scales in the other direction and per that article....

Now, those Granok insurgents were able to turn the tide of a war involving all the Granok clans. With only them in the mix, they're less likely to be able to make a dent. And with over 400 years since the Gnox campaign, I'm sure the Dominion Legions have come up with a trick or two more since.

I actually don't see "overpowered" in the Granok lore at all. Very powerful, yes, but not overpowered for the purposes of the story.
    Patrician likes this.
  12. Zerdav

The Granok issue has already been said. And home turf argument does not make it better, I gave them the same benefit, yet still... They are so super awesome that they just pwn everyone, regardless of what you throw at them. Why? Because they are. /sigh

But humans bug me more, Brightland should be an experienced decorated vet, yet he makes a 'pearl harbor' assault and thinks that should do it? Afterwards he sacrifices his ship for the fleet, but still survives? Oh, come on! It's a deus ex machina pull at its worst.
    Khrusky and Kurik like this.
  13. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I do kind of agree that Brightland surviving is a little much, though maybe we are missing some details on it. Another story or maybe even a short video about it would be nice, otherwise I would have preferred that his death inspires the Exiles to live on. I am Dominion though, so I probably prefer him dying in any scenario. :p
  14. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

I presume that the Exiles were more concerned with evacuating the Aurins than actually destroying the reapers. The Dominion most probably learned from their mistakes on Gnox, brought a VERY large fleet to ensure that the defenseless Aurin would be history. Also, the Granok fighters in that case were probably willing to die during their distraction, so long as they brought down more Dominion than Exile fighters got blown up.
  15. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

It's odd, but I don't see the Granok as being that OP. I just see the Dominion as perhaps being overconfident in that situation up against natives and perhaps it being their downfall. It shows the Dominion can underestimated their foes BECAUSE they are so powerful... something that resonates quite a lot with me, especially in recent world events over the past few years (and history in general to boot).

Being able to keep the reapers at bay just proves they are tough, sure... but they still had to retreat. They couldn't hold the ground forever, and were forced to evacuate and abandon the entire planet. Not exactly a victory there.

And from what I read, Brightland decided to go against the Dominion when ordered to turn the weapons and soldiers under his command on the protesting citizens. He then had what might have been their best ship in the fleet under his command.

My guess is, when he made that sacrificial call and headed his ship into the Dominion fleet, the explosions on the ship or even boarders (who knows) is what mortally wounded him. I bet the decision to turn back was made by whoever was in charge once he went down, and it makes sense that if this ship attacked a vulnerable spot in the Dominion fleet formation, with whatever weapons it may have possessed, it might have caught the Dominion off guard.

I'm sure it will always just come down to personal taste, however. I don't see any bad writing in the story, and look forward to hearing more details, but that's just me. :)

I kind of see several ways Brightland's legacy is good story telling.

1.) It could be a lie use by the Exiles to improve morale

2.) If he really is in stasis, it both gives the Exiles something to work towards with Eldan tech (bringing our hero back to lead us to victory!) and it gives the Dominion even MORE reasons to find his sleeping body and kill it!

3.) Maybe he gives Exiles something to fight for, but the Dominion can EASILY use his 'stasis' story as saying "He's so weak... he couldn't even earn himself a honorable death in combat. Instead his people keep him living a crippled non-life, his honor seeping away every passing year."

I just see a lot of story potential with how they've been going so far, is all. ;)
  16. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I believe the story stated they went towards the main part of the Dominion fleet including the flagship. So it definitely took a beating, I guess that shows how formidable the ship was and Dominion engineering is just that awesome. :p
    Patrician likes this.
  17. Zerdav

I ofc am glad that you enjoy their story, but I was hoping for more. In your own explanation what might have happened with Brightland, there are a lot of 'might's. Lucky and stupid characters are just poor choices for good plot development. I am growing increasingly tired of such cheap 'tricks'.

And Granok perhaps weren't as primitive as said, but that's just it, that was said. They were written to be pwnage, and that's just blah. You can have your overconfident superpower getting its lesson without that.

Thankfully there is Dominion, although they are 'cheapened' by all this as well.
    Khrusky likes this.
  18. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I'm not just not understanding how Brightland is lucky and stupid I guess. He made a calculated risk in everything he did according to the story, and I'm still unsure where the cheap "tricks" are. But it might just be complete opinion at this point. :)

And the Granok didn't have rockets and lasers and Dominion tech, but they did have sturdy seige weapons (I'm guessing some kind of stone tanks?) so I don't think anything was said, then not said. I think Granok were written to be a tough race, much like the Draken are written to be a warrior one.

And remember, if the lore was just full of Dominion ultimate victory after Dominion ultimate victory, I think it would be a pretty boring story.
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  19. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

In any case, I'm pretty sure that they're still going to get what's coming to them come Wildstar's release. ;)

I mean, some time down the line, if they ever release release content which advances the story, I'm pretty sure that we'll see the Exiles get their own back at the Dominion. Carbine wouldn't be so cruel as to have Queen Myala promise to return to save the rest of her people and then not make good her promise, right? :eek:

Also, RECONCILIATION STORY where the Dominion re-invade Gnox and the Granok Exiles come and save them again. :inlove:
    iiFrank and Kurik like this.
  20. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Or the Dominion conquers Gnox and forces Granok to fight Granok. :) I'm not suggesting that they become playable for the Dominion but I would find that storyline pretty interesting.
    Evion likes this.