1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Anyone else feel like Granok lore is a bit OP? :O

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by InnocentCivilian, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

I'm far from saying or hoping Dominion should win all the time, but they also shouldn't be loosing by means of meeting the all mighty Granok.

We shall not go into story writing techniques,plot developments and personal preference though, I agree. Our scores are best settled on the battlefield, or over some whisky. :p
    Immaculata and Kurik like this.
  2. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

I'm trying to remember, has the lore said anything about Gnox after the Granok outcasts leave? Do we know it's still standing and hasn't been Alderaaned in the decades since? :X

I'm just saying, we're missing a LOT of lore and context for all of these issues.
    Zerdav, Patrician and Kurik Lein like this.
  3. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

It's actually one thing I've been debating with Ender about, and also super curious over... If the Granok who managed to beat off the Dominion forces centuries ago were banished by their elders for doing so (because they broke the Way of the Stone and used Dominion tech) ... Then doesn't that mean the Dominion could have come right back after the mercenaries left and started the war again and eventually won? Is Gnox already lost? We have no way of knowing that...

I mean, the Dominion could have written it off as Gnox just being too costly a prize, and since the people there don't even care about space travel just let them sit and grow moss... But I do wonder about the fate of Gnox after Durek and his freedom fighters were banished to roaming the galaxy.

Can't wait to find out all this stuff though. That's why I must become a scientist first!
  4. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Given how Malvolio didn't want to discuss the war with Gnox in 'Meet the Cassian', I don't think that the Dominion has managed to take the planet yet. :p
  5. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Aha! Thank you, I'd forgotten that! Man, I bet Cassians put a pretty penny on Granok heads. Sure, save the human for questioning, but the Granok had better be dead unless he's being saved for torture!

I'm curious to see the Why's explored behind that conflict/campaign, and who's head ended up rolling when the Emperor found out.
  6. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Who knows, knowing how Cassians seem to operate, it could have been a perfect chance to usurp the Emperor for his "failure" so his heir could step up to the throne!

Maybe whoever benefited from the current Emperor at that time looking bad helped to "sabotage" the war with the Granok just a little to make sure they could step up and take over.

I wouldn't put it past Cassian politics. ;)
  7. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

This was more what I was getting at the Draken might have thought it was a fair fight, the Cassian Emperor probably did too. The Mechari strike me very much as performing the role of the good beta, where sometimes you need to make the choices that your Alpha won't because things like pride and honour and such are useful qualities in a Leader they are sometimes inconvieniant and good beta must on occasion compensate for this without the knowledge of the Alpha for the good of the pack.
  8. InnocentCivilian

I have this theory that since the line of Emperors is (I think) all Luminai and have Eldan blood in them, they're all a bunch of complete badasses who are above the typical politcal backstabbing you'd expect and that they have the fiercely loyal Mechari to back them up (I picture the Emperor being like Megatron and the Mechari are like Soundwave) :p.

Or another analogy; the Emperor is like Darkseid from superman (you don't mess with him), and the rest of the Cassians are like his lieutenants. They may bicker and politik with each other (like Malvolio seems the sort to), but when the Emperor gives a command, they all shut up and obey.

Emperors must be pretty frickin' badass because the Emperor at the time was able to beat the high clanlord of the Draken to win their eternal loyalty. :p

So back to the Gnox war, I would imagine that the Emperor, rather than be held accountable for the war's failure, would execute the generals who conducted that war for 'incompetence' and move on. :p
  9. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

On that matter, it says they're "living stone."

How do you hurt something made of stone with a sword? Or even with a projectile weapon, for that matter? I mean, you could chip it a bit, but you're not going to cause damage like you would to a creature with flesh. Mechari/mechanical beings have the weakness of electricity/emps and such, at least, wires that can be cut, etc.

And imagine the Granok in hand to hand. Shiiiit they wouldn't even need weapons. Getting punched by a Granok would be like getting a 400kg block of granite dropped on your face.

Unless their outerlayers ie skin are like, soft stone, oh gee I dunno, something like shale or soapstone? But then it'd just be brittle as all <REDACTED>..

:confused:
  10. meatypickle

meatypickle New Cupcake

Not that long ago IRL a small country held a large and quite powerful one from invading them, happened in a rocky and arid region. Not OP, the Granok did not take over but merely saved their own. Yes this is a fantasy so many arguments can be made either way.
  11. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

And as usual, the cries for the tank to get nerfed arise...this time even before the game starts.
    Inukeu likes this.
  12. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Just put the Granok in a sandbox and bring out a giant rake and start chanting as you draw symbols in the sand. They will get all peaceful and still and you can ignore them.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  13. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Hah not my Granok. You need to bring beer and stogies to make him calm and peaceful. Well at least until he ties a few on. Then he gets rowdy again.
    Patrician likes this.
  14. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Granok also apparently like to wind down with a mud pit pole dance...

image.jpg
  15. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Oh man, check out the ass and discarded "boulder-holder."

Racey.
    Patrician likes this.
  16. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

No, Granok won't be a rare race. It's the only race on the Exiles that caters to the need of 16 yo to play a massive character, the tauren of the exiles.
  17. DrShemp

DrShemp Cupcake

In GW2 the Charr were one of the rarest races in the game and they were just a massive monster race. I get the feeling the Granok aren't going to be very popular but I could be wrong.

It's entirely believable for guerrilla tactics to not only work but force a larger enemy force to retreat if the casualties were high enough. Though, It seems really weird for the Dominion to just give up. It could be that they underestimated the Granok and didn't send enough forces? Would be very interested to know more about what happened to Gnox after the chieftains kicked the freedom fighters off.
  18. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Just saying, Viet Cong >>;

Against a far technologically superior force, using knowledge of the land and asymmetrical warfare against a military-industrial juggernaut, brought it to a stand still.
  19. InnocentCivilian

There's something I'd like to add that I didnt consider when I first made this thread: frickin' MAGIC.

It exists in the Wildstar universe, so we know it's not just a technology-on-technology fight. Being able to make fire come out of your FISTS (as we've seen Granok do in Jagged Rock Mine in Deradune) would be a heck of an equaliser. :p
  20. Immaculata

Immaculata Cupcake

I've actually had the chance to go over the intel on this so called invasion. One bored Dominion ship wandered into Gnox space dropped a single bomb on the planet and then returned to the fleet.

The Granok believed it was their might that turned the Dominion away (hey they are rock people after all or lower sentience life forms). ^.^
    shadowclasper and Zerdav like this.