1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Anyone else having trouble with the class/race combo limits? ;)

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Yinello, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

It's not the end of the world but a couple of times I forget that not all races can be any class, thus I dream up a character that potentially can't exist. Such as how I thought it would be badass to be a scrappy Aurin warrior and then to find out they can't be warriors. :oops: Or to run around as a Mechari Esper and whoops looks like I should've taken a good look at their website page first!

While I can understand that class limits adds flavor to the race, I always manage to want to be that combination that will never exist. xD I was wondering if anyone else shares the same gripe?

Here's to hoping the third tank class can also be Aurin. :inlove:
  2. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I have a little trouble with it, for instance I really hate that Mechari and Draken can't be Espers, I figure Chua will probably be able to be. It still kind of sucks as I don't picture myself as a Chua Esper so the only other option is Cassian or an Exile alt.
  3. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

I'm worried the final Exile zombie race are a "techno/mind attuned" one, meaning they probably can't be Stalkers. I really hope that's not it, otherwise I'm gonna have to roll a regular human.
  4. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I don't mind it the way it is. But, I just wanted to say that Aurin can be stalkers and thus tanks as well.
  5. Yinello

Hah I know and I'll probably roll one, but I'm not a big fan of the rogue archetype (not really into the whole stealth thing).
  6. Nami

Nami New Cupcake

I do understand how a Mechari or Draken can't be Espers though. Mechari being machines and Draken seeming very tribal/brutish lorewise. Although I can imagine the rare Draken Esper either being revered or hunted by their own tribes.

As far as Aurin warriors go, it might be comical to see the Aurin from the trailer swinging around that big sword the Granok had. Personally I usually mix my classes and races in ways that make sense, but that's just me.

Overall, I'm fine with class/race limitations although I may never get to try a warrior or any other class that can't be a catgirl. =(
  7. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

I like the fact not everything is open to all races in terms of Classes. It sticks more to the lore aspect of each race versus strange combinations which don't make a lot of sense.
    Blaquknite, Alverad, Rai and 2 others like this.
  8. pondfilter

pondfilter Cupcake

If the upcoming Exile race can't be Espers I'll be pretty mad, to be honest.
    But yeah, I feel like the combo's are too restricted.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Aye, just like Tauren Paladins :roflamo: Made me giggle so hard when they announced it, mayby they look nice but going from the Lore i hate it (got all WoW books and games untill Cataclys started then i stopped buying WoW stuff and only bought the books, atleastthose are still nice to read).

I like the restriction, also some people are almost always compelled to the combinations that aren't accesible just because they aren't accesible. It's like your mother telling you can't take 2 coockies at once, while she leaves you alone :D Who wouldn't pick what isn't allowed :p
  10. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

To be honest I think you're kind of being selfish thinking that "the classes should be played as you imagine them", Aurins are keepers of nature so I think it is more than fine that they can't be blood thirsty prone to fighting warriors, It'd be out of place and out of context with her lore don't you think? I certainly do.

Watch her part in the trailer again she feels bad after stepping on a branch lol, you really think she wants to be bathed in blood with a sword? Aurins are bad ass if you find them badass because of what they are, not what you can possibly imagine them to be. Although, if you're telling me about a fanfic where there's this one aurin and she's the "Bad Apple" of the bunch, where she's all evil and likes to go around and killing people, that'd be pretty cool. But unrealistic otherwise. :p just my 2cents
    Zepherion likes this.
  11. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I dunno, I kinda like how not every race can be any class. It makes you decide if you really want to be that race, or that class.
    Blaquknite, Mudfin and Agon like this.
  12. Yinello

Where did I say that? I said I was having trouble with it, I never said they should change it.
  13. Prometheus

Prometheus Cupcake

While I do want an Esper Mechari I understand why itsn't not an option in the context of the narrative.
    With that being said it doesn't bother me that much, but I'm not passing judgement till we learn more about <REDACTED> and most importantly <REDACTED>.
  14. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I'm perfectly fine with there being restrictions like this :) can you see a Granok sneaking around in the shadows as a stalker??? or a Chua being a warrior??? or a Mechari being an esper??? There are big reasons they're not allowed, hehe. However, I believe that they have said that the reason for the restrictions is partially due to the animations (just like the one weapon per class issue), having to do 3-4 sets of animations for class/race instead of 6 is a lot easier...
    Blaquknite likes this.
  15. Soylentgreen

I do understand the restrictions, I do think some of it's wasted opportunity to mix it up a bit with stuff people probably haven't seen much in the past though. I mean who says just because you are a robot you can't have psychic or "magical powers". I mean we are used to this and it barely ever happens unless you count Skippy, but sometimes it feels it's just that way because we are used to it, I'm sure someone could think up a thousand cool reasons robots could be espers if they wanted to do it.

I accept the limitations and why they are probably there (read: animations). It's not going to ruin any enjoyment of the game for me but I definitely wouldn't mind more options.
  16. Yinello

Interesting! That does sound logical. Would explain why the Cassians and Humans have all 4 of them, considering they just have to copy paste their animations. ;)
  17. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

This is totally not the case I don't work in carbine, or anything related, but them being "lazy" I'm 100% sure is not the reason they are making classes on race locks.
  18. Soylentgreen

Just because they don't do something because it would involve more work doesn't necessarily read as lazy. They have prioritize features in time frames and make decisions based on effort/reward ratios, no one said it was laziness.
  19. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I didn't call them "lazy", or even imply that. They themselves have said that they're making individual animations different for each ability, for each class, and for each race (and possibly for each gender of each race). I'm pretty sure that if you add that up it's a <REDACTED>-ton of work for just the class/race combos that they have. It's also the reason that Carbine themselves gave for why they're not adding in other weapons because they'd have to alter/re-animate each spell so that the animations match with the new weapons. They don't have the time to do all of that.
    Alverad likes this.
  20. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I have been on the fence about having only one type of weapon per class. There is a good bit of feedback on pros and cons on it and nice speculation as well. I am OK with the devs feedback and think its early to be upset about it if things change. It is what it is and I just want them to finish the fricking beta so I can play and not wait on them to add stuff now and delay it :geek:

We did have this topic already in a big thread HERE.

Yes, we have currently limited each class to one weapon type and that is how we expect to launch.
    Some pros of this decision include:

• The animators only have to focus on one weapon type per class which allows them to deliver unique high quality animations for each of the class’ abilities.
    • Our classes work with a Limited Action Set system, and we felt that further restricting your abilities by weapon type would be a little bit too “restrictin"