1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Anyone else having trouble with the class/race combo limits? ;)

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Yinello, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Class race locks are not due to lazyness lol. Maybe they are trying in some form of way to Keep it Real. in a sense of coarse.

Mech esper? a mechanical being with super mind powers? huh? I'm sorry this does not Compute.
    A draken who has super mind powers? for the love of Nexus they are primal savages according to some descriptions. which does not fit with the Esper abilities.

and a poor widdle Aurin with a blade 15 times their size? sounds cool. But they are NOT a strength class.

Race/Class locks should be within reason.. I would like to see more for the Granok though. if the 9 foot tall robot can be a stalker. why not a 8 foot rockman.. both make noise when walking n stalking.. but I do get it. Rocky was not all that agile and graceful. He's a punching bag that hits back.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  2. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Class limits only make sense... I mean, from a game play perspective, you got the whole fact that each of these races has different ratios for gaining certain racial abilities (which are pooled amongst everyone, just with different costs), and that means that there's a balance issue, that can be controlled by classes for certain races.

Secondly, there is the racial stuff.

Can you imagine a draken esper? Draken are cunning, not book smart, and it looks like esper requires book smarts.
  3. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I can imagine a Draken Esper being shunned by his kind... Poor thing!
  4. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I always reach for the 2nd cookie ^.^

But seriously I agree, I prefer the less played combinations. I bring more unique things to group play and am easier to remember/stand out.
  5. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

I'd much rather be remembered for my skill, or a unique characterization, or for telling a good story, than for attempting to be the next Drizzt.

Combining races and classes that should not, or only rarely, exist is like Capslock: IT IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME!!!

There's a reason you don't drive everywhere on cruise control, though. Because it's a bad idea.
  6. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

In the other thread that Aheadache linked I spoke on why I am against the one weapon and how their reasons don't feel right to me, so moving on...

I like restrictions in class and race. I like when Lore is the reason for it. I, too, hated the Tauren priests and paladins, but that was a bone tossed to the masses. A perfect example of listening to your customer is not always a good thing.

I will agree with you OP, I don't like the limit on race and class. That is I don't like that there are only 6classes and 4 races. Yes, I am aware there are 8, but if you are like me, in a faction based game, you choose a side and you play IT.

I've always thought MMORPGs where better with 10-15 races and with 8 classes (a couple more are okay too). This usually got you a race/class combo you could enjoy. As of now, the aforementioned one weapon per class has taken playing a Warrior away, as I hate swords. Spellslinger might be next as I'm not a huge fan of pistols or Aurins and Humans (and I'm playing Exile). Esper, which of the 4 we know I really want to play, can't be Granok (makes sense) and , again, not huge fan of Aurin/Humans, I need to hope the 4th race can be them. And, yes I am aware that my preferences are also playing a part in the restrictive feeling. More races would ensure I could find something and not just hope.

So, for me, I am anxiously awaiting the last Exile race and last two classes. I'll have a Granok <REDACTED>and hopefully a <REDACTED> Esper.
  7. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

WoW only had 4 races on each side at release and it only had 8 classes (pally/sham restricted to one side) and 1 of them was restricted to Tauren/Night Elf.

In short its only a little more than what has been planned for initial release of Wildstar. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more classes but if there is variety in your builds (which they don't REALLY have in WoW) then it could be fine.

Starting with 4 races is a little low but they can always add more in later - better to focus on more important things for now.
  8. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

also remember 8 races, 6 classes and 4 paths. You really get 24 class combinations possible.
    ruff_ethereal, Alverad and Kataryna like this.
  9. Cowboy

Cowboy Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, it's kind of like pushing for an Archer class...

I certainly do too... just my 2cents :eek:
  10. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Nope I don't. I'm perfectly fine with playing my Mechari Warrior :D
  11. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

It was totally awkward seeing Sylvari Engineers in Guild Wars 2. So yes, I do believe that if it doesn't make sense, it shouldn't be a possibility. If they later down the line have developed the game's world and story to where it could make sense (like Tauren Paladin) without having to suspend too much disbelief (I'm looking at you gnome monks!) then its totally fine if they lift some restrictions.
  12. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Now technically, based on 8 races and at 3 classes per, the number 24 is correct.

I, and those who feel like I do, know that number is lower. Certain races i don't like, certain classes i don't like. For me if you are going to restrict the classes from certain races (which I said I support) then you really need either more classes than 6 or more races than 4 per side.

Not that WoW was or is the end all be all, but it was still more, with more variety than WS. ;)
  13. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

Not liking something does not mean it is not an option. It is just an option you will not select.

And 3 of 6 classes per race x 8 races x 4 paths = approx 96 playable combinations (3 x 8 x 4). Question of options in my mind is if paths are experienced any different by being a different class.
  14. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Never stated otherwise. Even said that I know my preferences limit it even more. Still doesn't change two facts.

1. This is what Carbine has done and I'm certain it won't change between now and release.
    2. My options are limited. And that's due to my preferences and what I consider a small number of choices for races and classes given to me by Carbine.

/shrug
  15. mmimzie

mmimzie New Cupcake

Actually Sylvari engineer's make sense in the Sylvari lore. They are driven by an uncontrollable urge to learn and experience new things, so that the next generation of Sylvari will be more than the previous. So to pass up a career as interesting as an engineer would be like a smoker trying to quit cold turkey.

I'm just hoping the Chua will in some way be able to tank. That would make me very very happy. I love being the little dude in this sorts of MMOs but i also love to tank, so ususaly my options are limited. However, i do prefer having limited options.
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  16. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

Right, lore wise it makes sense. Outside of lore though, that specific class/race combo is a huge oxymoron.
  17. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Just because they are born from trees or are botanical doesn't necessarily mean they have to be tree huggers, I don't really see why it would have to.
  18. heleos

heleos New Cupcake

I worry much more over what class to pick than what race that class should be
    Alverad likes this.
  19. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

I'm 99% sure I'm going to play Mechari, and the Esper and Spellslinger doesn't interest me at all (eww, magic!), so for now I'm good. The only problem would be if one of the unannounced classes end up being super awesome and perfect for my playstyle, but unavailable to the Mechari.
  20. MassFragg

MassFragg Cupcake

I know the reason why they do it, with the lie established and such. But I think it would be cool if instead of a racial starting area, the did it based on class. So your characters personal lore was along the lines of something like "abandoned at birth and raised by spellslingers" or "warriors raided my village as a baby and forced into a slave like fighter, like Conan the barbarian". And with that kind of depth I can see really getting involved with not only the path I chose to play but the history that has brought be there.