1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Anyone else leary of modding?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Narthen, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Narthen

Narthen Cupcake

There is both good and bad effects of allowing UI mods. Was wondering how the Wildstar communities feels about mods. I personally think that certain kinds of mods really damaged the game play experience of a few mmo's, WOW especially. What do you think?
    CRB_Gortok likes this.
  2. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I think you need to post examples of what kinds of mods you feel ruin the experience first. Personally, I've seen good mods, I've seen bad mods, but the entire point of mods is that you install what you want.

If something is ruining your experience, uninstall it.

Unless you can see other people's screens, in which case you WOULD HAVE TO BE A WIZARD

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS
  3. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

The sentiment around here has been overwhelmingly positive I think.

I believe add-ons and an "open source" approach to them helped make the game markedly better, and was no small contributor to the overall success of WoW.

The hive-mand of the player base is a poweful thing. Players tend spend much more time engaging with the game than most of the developers are even able to, so they're likely to be able to iterate on the UI more frequently and with a better collective perspective.

+2 for add-ons and more importantly the open-minded approach Carbine is taking!
    CRB_Gortok, Jesta, Drasas and 2 others like this.
  4. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

There have been Multiple threads on this topic, and in my Opinion even after all the posts. Addons and UI Modifications make games better. Specifically creature comfort addons. When a player feels more comfortable and connected with the UI they feel more connected to there character and the world itself. Addons themselves rarely ever have a dark side. The USERS and the COMMUNITY decide how the addons get used. Things like Gearscore where a great way to assess where one stood among others in the world. Great way to see who needed gear in your raid. But many times they were used maliciously.

[edit] I could go on for months about addons, I love UI design. From the most minimal setups to the most extreme. That doesn't mean I love all addons just that how the player interacts with the world through the UI is something I have really come to enjoy learning about and have taken a deep interest in.
    CRB_Gortok likes this.
  5. Scelestic

Scelestic Cupcake

Modding is undeniably one of the aspects I am most looking forward to in WildStar, because UI Modding is in from Day One. I don't really believe that UI Modding could really hurt the Community, the only way is Up!
  6. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

There was no modding in swtor or gw2, and suprisingly I missed them a ton.

Its the case of you dont know what you got till its gone for me.
    Evab likes this.
  7. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

They play a MASSIVE role in a games longevity in my opinion.

Analogy - Would you rather sit on a hard bench designed to fit everyone's butt or a chair custom designed by you for you sitting pleasure.
  8. Narthen

Narthen Cupcake

As an example, I though the advent of DPS meters was damaging to wow. I was an avid raider for a long time up through Mists and felt that the dps meter kind of drove a wedge through the player populace. It got to the point where people wouldn't even play with you if you didn't run certain mods in wow. I mean, I can see the good and bad in that from both perspectives but to me it just felt like it took the fun out of the game and took the experience to a micromanagement level. I think many of the "assistance mods" were amazing but I didn't mind wiping in raids if I was with a good group of people having fun (Raiding with a drunk healer is quite the experience, or a narcaleptic tank who would fall asleep during raids). I think the wildstart community as a whole is perhaps one of the best I have experienced (I'm 43, been playing games a long time) and do think the approach is one of optimism. So, then, that being said, what mods ARE you interested in seeing developed early on?
  9. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I am totally in favor of UI modification and I am really glad that Carbine is embracing it in a big way. I am pretty firmly in the "there are no inherently bad UI mods, just bad people who abuse UI mods" camp. Things like DPS meters, threat meters, deadly boss mods and combat log parsers give players a lot of useful information that can be used to improve the way you play and really make the difference when it comes to progression raiding. Typically if you are really super serious about being the best (insert class / spec / raid role here) installing and learning to benefit from these mods is a no-brainer. Where they cause problems is when people who just want to play for fun are forced to use them by less sympathetic or understanding people, or when internet tough-guys and general bullies use them maliciously.
  10. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

Nickar,
    One of the big issues you run into with wow is that Blizzard stated at one point that they were designing fights with the idea that you had curtain addons. DBM for example. So you of course have the right to not run those addons, but I have the right to not let you raid with me, no matter how good of a player you may be. So really that all comes down to finding the right group of people to raid with that fit your play style.

I understand that wipes happen, as someone who has hardcore raided and pvp'd when you do bleeding edge content its just the nature of the game. BUT and its a big but if I knew we where wiping because someone in the raid was to proud to run an addon that would help stop us from wiping.... Id be pretty pissed off. My time is valuable and I don't want to waste it.
    Rogosh likes this.
  11. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

Couldn't agree more... I absolutely love being able to tailor the information available to me.
    As long as the mod doesn't automate or provide any information that everyone else has access to.
  12. Blegvad

Blegvad Cupcake

Mods I'm looking forward to:

1) Minimal UI (transparent, etc).
    2) DPS/HPS Meters
    3) Elegant Raid Frames (assuming the default ones are not great).

None of those are necessary of course but as others have mentioned it seems like the more ways the community can be engaged with the game the better. A vibrant modding scene can't be a bad thing for the popularity and longevity.
  13. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Positive -
    1. Allow more players accessibility who may have unique personal challenges. :D
    2. Gives critical feedback to the Devs on improvements and how players play :D
    3. Creates a more personal/better gaming experience. :D
    4. Adds a dimension of enjoyment to modders who spend hours building them to help others. :up:
    Negative -
    1. You may 'break' your game (and require new download) if you dont know what you are doing. But all player data is on the server so nothing is lost. :eek:
    2. You get whiners complaining about unfair advantages ? well not really relevant as sooner or later someone will hack the UI, :p and the mods are available to all players. :)
  14. Schorl

Schorl New Cupcake

I have to agree with everything you've said here, but I think we just have a very similar playstyle and that we may be in the minority considering that just about everyone had a DPS meter. When DPS meters became the standard mod to have, as a very casual gamer, I pretty much had to stop getting random groups for dungeons on my DPS characters because it just wasn't fun to have to micromanage that aspect of the game. I felt like I was being forced to compete with the other members of my group. If I was at the bottom of the chart, I'd get s**t about being a bad player. If I was at the top of the chart, I'd get s**t from people saying my class took no skill. I switched to playing a healer and that ended up working out for me, but it still would have been nice to be able to play my DPS characters with other people and also just be able to relax and have fun.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure what mods I'd like to see early on since I don't know what features will be native to the game's UI. However, some of my favorite UI addons were data brokers that gave me at-a-glance information about my money (stats on amounts made and spent)/inventory space/armor & weapon repair/etc etc etc. And I've also really enjoyed being able to set waypoints to cool spots and mark locations of resource nodes. So, things like that I would love to see early on.
  15. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

Addons good. DPS mongering and gear score idiocy bad. I think they should monitor this sort of thing, and ban mods that they feel are messing with the community. Other than that...rock on.
    Corinthar likes this.
  16. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

I am kind of against an add on helping you to not wipe. This is in my opinion exactly what an add on should not be. It should not give you an advantage, but rather allow you to customize to your style.
  17. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I think mods are cool as long as they don't make the game too easy to play or take away too much from ways for players to demonstrate skill.

Just as an exmaple, part of the reason why I stopped playing vanilla WoW was when macros started becoming really popular and I just felt that as a healer, being skilled didn't mean as much. I kinda feel like the game needs to be rewarding of skill so that the time we put into it is meaningful. :p

UI Mods should be a nice tool for those who choose to use them, but it shouldn't be mandatory. If I ever get yelled at for NOT having a particular mod installed, I think that that's a sign that it's gone too far. :confused:
    Maddog Charlie and Cuban Cowboy like this.
  18. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

If mods are allowed to read any data aside from what is already being displayed in the base GUI, then it will most likely be something pressured on everyone if they desire to play with the harder core or more focused.

I am fine with any mods which simple change the visual appearance of what is in the base GUI to be more aesthetically appealing or convenient location. However, it normally does not end there.

Once a mod can pull data from logs or have it's own internal logic and timing, then it can supplant some of the required awareness of a player. Things like large visual warning regarding what is about to occur, bringing attention to the presence of an enemy or telling the player what they need to do to assist an ally.

I will adjust to either, but I think the more complex mods force the developers to design around them. I mean if a main part of a challenge was for the player to know when to pull a lever and a mod can just notify them with a "NOW". Then there really isn't any challenge to such mechanic.
  19. Honoracy

Honoracy Cupcake-About-Town

I really enjoyed changing my scrolling combat text with mods. It added more flavor to my game experience. There was more of my own personality in the game :p. Convenience mods were also pretty sweet. For example the mail mod on WOW where I could loot my whole box with one click!

I never really used mods that took away from game play. When I used to raid, I hated deadly boss mods. It felt to cake walk and dumbed down. The material wasn't built around an assumption that people would have those type of mods at the time (vanilla etc).

I would have to say there are awesome mods that don't hurt game play, others that take away from the game and then become expected/mandatory.
  20. Elward

Elward Cupcake

As a healer in every mmo I've played I've always been against a vast majority of addons. The only mods I do support have no real impact on game play, such as allowing me to draw out notes on my world map or rearrange the way my UI looks.

The mods I absolutely hate though are dps meters, deadly boss mob types, hps meters, gear score meters and there are many more. Dps meters are absolutely wretched, they drive dps to do idiotic stunts like trying to dps through phases when they should be avoiding damage. I've also seen many, many, many dps stay on bosses when adds spawn just because running to adds would reduce their overall dps.

However, the worst type of addon ever implemented in a game is Deadly Boss Mobs. If you can't even dedicate a fraction of your play time to researching fights and a bosses tells, you shouldn't be raiding at all. It's gotten to the point where "hardcore" 'don't waste my time!' raiders let this stupid addon play the game for them, and I can guarantee you that if many of these raiders ever tried to do a raid without this addon playing for them, they would wipe nonstop.

All in all, I'm really hoping that the addons that are allowed in game will be heavily moderated so that addons like dps meters and DBM never make it into the game. And now for my snarky comment for the thread. If you need addons that tell you exactly what to do in a video game, you probably shouldn't even be playing said game.