1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Anyone else leary of modding?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Narthen, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

Ah, ok, I see how that could be a problem then. If they could somehow limit it so that you could only effect your own character model that'd be nice, though even with my limited programing knowledge (ie, zero), that seems like it would be very difficult/impossible.
  2. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I'm clueless on the technical side too, with regards to personal customisation I thought I heard the devs mention wanting anything you get in the game world to be customisable so maybe in terms of dyes etc (they may have meant more/less than that though) - not sure if that could apply to ability effects too (sort of like colour crystals in SWTOR) but could always be something to suggest (maybe tied into the CBC system?).

Hopefully I wasn't imagining things.
  3. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

I did make a thread about it, though I recall a dev saying that they couldn't do anything crazy like adding new spell animations somewhere else (in the sense that they don't have enough time to implement such a system before launch).
  4. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Well I'll /crossfingers that whatever system they have in for launch will be enough to at least tide you over and hopefully something more flexible (yet keeping balance in mind) will be available post launch if the launch systems fall short of your expectations.
  5. Scrapple

Scrapple Cupcake

well click the Sig and check out our community we welcome all to check us out and sign up!! We span across many games. The only hardcore we have is the FUN hardcore. :up:
  6. kevlarto

kevlarto New Cupcake

I don't care about Ui mods, I do not use them, and they have no effect on my game play, but what I do not like to see allowed in games is third party add on's the reason is, for every good add on someone always comes up with cheats, I have played mmo's for a long time, I just don't use mod's or add on's, I find my game play is more rewarding learning the game inside and out, thats is just my opinion for my personal game play.. :)
  7. Senescheal

Senescheal New Cupcake

Only read up to page 4 (yeah at work and kinda ran out of opportunity to read further),
    Would like to see UI customisation options, I have done some tanking here and there on other MMOs and found some nice transparancy options out there I liked as well as some nice ones to clear up clutter. Also had some really awesome looking additions for example where your hp/mana bars where in a helix effect around your character making it real easy to keep track of whilst looking cool, options and addons like that in my humble oppinion keeps you interested just a little bit longer.
    DPS tools, well, You could rather have a big "training" area with a slap the living spit out of me bot in game that would be fair to all and give controlled feedback, though from gameplay vids I've looked at it would seem survivability whist being able to put down dps would be alot more usefull than your stand and deliver the perfect rotation here...
    Tbh somewhat apposed to dps meters as one of the last raiding games I played we could never match the top guy on dps, cause half of our time in a guild raid was taking turns rezzing him/her. Stats dont always paint the full picture.
  8. Scrapple

Scrapple Cupcake

I actually don't have have a problem with meters sorry if I gave off they wrong impression I don't like the "look whose on top and who is not mentality" that often comes with meters. That's when I get upset cause that's ruining game play for others.
  9. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

I would want stand and spam to be punished. I think the best encounters forced healers to watch their surroundings and their raid frames as well. Tunneling should be punished and I wouldn't expect it to work with the amount of movement required. I simply think a good healer would be able to manage frames and moving.
  10. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah sorry if I gave that impression. My point is just that it's possible for communities to set the rules for what mods they allow in their raids etc, and personally I agree with you 100%, meters are good in and of themselves, and useful in several ways, but some people use them to bully or diminish others.
    Scrapple likes this.
  11. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

We are honest, we are fair, and you know you will get the best feedback out of this community ;)
    Crow likes this.
  12. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with this totally.

I’ve been empathizing with those who cry “peer pressure”, but in a discussion I was having with someone who I thought had trivialized peer pressure, I realized that I was actually indifferent to mods that play the game for you or tell you how to play the game (I’ve chosen not to use them; if you want to use them that’s your business.).

How could I be indifferent to these mods, and still empathize with the peer pressure argument?

I realized that subconsciously I considered peer pressure within an MMO to be trivial; there are no life altering decisions to be made, and being the average age is 26, making the MMO community essentially an adult community, I expect adults to make decisions as an adult.

I’ve realized something else as well. I’m not indifferent to those who use those mods. I consider them to be posers, script monkeys. It’s irrelevant where they stand on the boards, or that they made it through the raid the first time; they did so, on the hard work and brains of others. Now a guild like Pixie is talking about I can respect. It does not matter where they stand on the boards, or how many times it took to get through the raid; they did so on their own hard work and brains.
  13. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

I like mods that are useful to me, NOT a requirement to play the game.
  14. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

Gaffer, you have my attention.

I'm a cynical old goat and not someone who cares much for the Press Approved Marketing Message, but what escapes from your mouth and fingers on a regular basis strikes me as a genuine dialogue from a man who knows and cares about the real guts of his game, instead of just the bullet points he can fit on the back of a box. You can talk specifics from the perspective of a player, and your thoughts on design suggest you may possess common sense in quantities that should traditionally not be allocated to a person with your job title.

You're the Executive Producer? I'm not sure if allowing you to speak here and with outlets like MMOFTW in the manner of an actual human being is an oversight or a stroke of genius by your marketing team, but whichever it is it's working. You have me interested in a new MMO, and that is not an easy feat.

As for the thread, this is a vintage topic that has been played out on the boards of every MMO of the last decade. It's a tale of ignorance and ego, and questionable misrepresentation, but WoW has already shown on the largest test bed possible just how much it can bring to the game and the community to have that tinkering option.

If you're in here decrying the use of certain WoW mods on principle without having experienced what they really do - and that seems common reading some of these posts - Then you should really try taking a dip in there and playing with them, if only to help you discuss the topic properly.

To be more specific, because this is getting silly now... DBM is a mod which takes boss cues that are deliberately added by Blizzard, and translates them into either an onscreen message or sound alert so that they are more easily noticed by the player. Wildstar already displays their boss cues in the most obvious fashion available - with a giant red line right across the middle of your screen. This is functionality that is being promoted as a key feature of the game, and you're worried about a mod that WISHES it could be the Wildstar telegraph system. DBM has never played the game for you, and there's no reason to believe any such automation will exist in this new title.
  15. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Hey Mr Gaffney! As always, it's a pleasure to have you drop in here! :)

I just wanted to say how excited this post made me ^___^! I'm pretty pumped for how combat's going to work out in Wildstar in relation to mods, and I personally am a proponent of the direction you guys seem keen on heading in: that is, have UI mods not be game-breaking, but not expecting such mods to be possible to make in the first place, given how much of Wildstar's combat is supposed to be really dynamic. ^___^

You may claim to 'not be a marketing guy', but this makes happy in all sorts of ways! :D #NewWildstarSlogan

Hey there, Gortok, thanks for dropping by! :)

I also wanted to say that I'm so relieved that this is something you guys are keeping in mind ^___^. While UI mods can offer some quality of life improvements, feeling obligated to use something that didn't 'come with the game', or yelled at for not using certain mods is not very cool. :[
    Jynetik likes this.
  16. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Not sure if they would sanction anything allowing the 'art' of the game to be adjusted, Ive not been briefed on Carbines plans but I know a lot of other games (not LoL) tend to regard their in game art (and sounds) VERY proprietary and get kinda touchy about modding those aspects.
    Agree with your later posts modified colors for spell effects etc would be very cool and probably help those who suffer with color blindness too.
    I get the impression that modding will be largely user interface customization and aids to help some enjoy certain aspects of the game.
    eg: Youre a crafter and the minimap isnt uber for tracking down those resources, so a mod giving you a larger map, as well as a history of previously surveyed areas and toning down the other indicators on the map is preferable. Similar for those embarking on a journey for a particular 'collection' of Eldan relics etc.
  17. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

This is probably my favorite post in this thread so far, intelligent, articulate, polite, and on the money. I agree wholeheartedly, Mr. Gaffney has pretty much won me over, his responses are always fantastic, he just seems to "get it" when it comes to MMO design and his common-sense no BS attitude towards dealing with the community is really refreshing.
  18. Narthen

Narthen Cupcake

WOW, Thanks for the input Jeremy!!! Its great to know you and your team are listening to the heartbeat of the player base and evaluating player input. If your team is watching the mod development and monitoring how it is effecting the game I don't think there will be any issues.
  19. Narthen

Narthen Cupcake

The fact that the executive producer and others of the carbine staff have posted to weigh in here in this topic only further builds my excitement for this game. Positive community, great staff, amazing devs....man, I am so jazzed for Wildstar. How crazy is it that first day of beta there was a mod?!?!? There are some really talented people out there!!!!
  20. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

I love mods, they make the games more enjoyable. The only mods im against are performance enhancing ones that enhance your gameplay to the point of making it too easy, like some mods did in WoW WOTLK etc. And in my experience if you are having problems that DPS meeters are bad, your the one that is the problem, not the mod itself. Being carried by others is not an attitude that has a home in Wildstar or any MMO.