1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Anyone hope Epic gear will be uncommon.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Brisselio, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Brisselio

Brisselio New Cupcake

So one problem I have with quite a few other MMOs are that they hand out Epic gear like it is candy. Everyone has Epic gear, it doesn't matter what you have done but you will get some piece of Epic gear from it.

I really really hope that Epic gear in this game is only found in the raids. Maybe I am reminded of how it used to be in vanilla WoW when you actually felt Epic when you got an Epic piece of gear and stood around in town.
  2. NabeShogun

NabeShogun Cupcake

Well they've already stated there is 3 styles of progression, Raids, PvP and small/solo content ... each with it's own stat sets ... so I'd imagine that each will be able to attain the appropriate epics, though given the dev teams general philosophies then I presume it will require a lot of work / cater to the sort of vanilla WoW style of things (not that I know about the current wow setup but people seem to draw a distinction of this sort)...
  3. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

From another post from today.

-Carbine has stated that Raid gear/items are exactly that, so you'll have to raid to obtain them. There are other progression systems for other kinds of exclusive items (PvP for example).

-Again, the same as above. If you don't raid, you won't get Raid items. They've stated many times that Raids will be hard, and only for those that want the challenge. If you don't like raiding or it's too hard, there are other things to do (solo content, housing, PvP, etc).

Whether they decide to label some items as epic, or whatever scale they give has not been said yet. The rewards for raids will be above what can be obtained outside of raids, and raids currently do not scale down in difficulty. So you earn you equipment. If we go by their posts of saying your rewards are based on difficulty then

40 man raids > 20 man raids > Veterans > Dungeons > Adventures > Shiphands/Solo

CRB J_tal confirmed this is the difficulty scale in this game.
    Oconnell likes this.
  4. Brisselio

Brisselio New Cupcake

Awesome! That is exactly what I was hoping for
  5. NabeShogun

NabeShogun Cupcake

Nope ... Top level raid gear will be less useful for solo stuff than solo gear, less useful for PvP than PvP gear ... but just like solo gear will be less useful for raids than raid gear.

You'll have to go back and find the dev posts about gear stats (as I can't be arsed to do it for you) but because raid gear will have things like deflect critical / resource regen on it (super useful things for raids) it'll actually have less base stats than solo gear (where there won't be uber bosses critting you constantly) ...

You get gear for what you play ... why do you care if someone else has some epic solo gear, it's not as useful in a raid as your raid gear, they are following the progression they want to follow, you are following the progression you want to follow...

I'd understand if it was all the same stats as people would feel slightly cheated if you could obtain solo things people were working really hard for to get in raids ... but as the gear is separated out then it doesn't really matter...
  6. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

*Boggles*
    Isn't solo gear just crappy PvE gear?
  7. Brisselio

Brisselio New Cupcake

The thing that has bothered me is that Epic gear is so ridiculously easy to obtain in almost every other MMO out there is doesn't even feel Epic.
  8. Blue Tunic Man

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some kind of psychological thing that makes people pay for subs more.

"Ermergerd! I'm so special with all these purples... Even if everyone else has them!"

And prepare for a major backlash for "Snowflake syndrome" if you ever talk about it.
  9. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

your rant in reply to Avenged missed entirely the context of "solo". Neither J-Tal nor Avenged were referring to the end game solo path, especially because we haven't had any more info on it for months, so he was correct for the context he was posting about, which was just meaning non-group content.
  10. Avenged

I do not agree with that argument either, but it is the, "if everyone is paying the same $15 a month, then everyone should have access to all the content" argument. There is logic behind it, I personally just do not agree with it.
  11. Blue Tunic Man

See, I think when people say that it's pretty poorly worded imo. They do have access to that content and they can do something about getting to that piece of content they want... Sure it isn't exactly easy to achieve said content and they may not have time but they have "access" to all content.
  12. Brisselio

Brisselio New Cupcake

I 100% agree with this. Yes they are paying their 15$ a month and they still get the exact same access to all the content as everyone else. The game shouldn't get reduced down to handing anything out because people don't have the time
  13. NabeShogun

NabeShogun Cupcake

Nope because (as I said) the solo progression stuff you won't need resource regen as much or deflect critical ... the raid stuff doesn't come with these additional stats and the same level of base stats, it's a trade off for what part of the game you focus on.

Go look at the whole post, but here's a bit of it ...

Well this "The rewards for raids will be above what can be obtained outside of raids" is what I was saying isn't true, it's only true in that the gear you get outside of raids is less useful for raids than raids stuff (which seems almost arbitrary to say), but there's nothign to indicate a solo/pvp player who has gotten max gear will have a lower "ilevel" (or whatever it is) than a maxed out raid player ... and my entire post was relating to the OP talking about wanting epics to basically only come from raids ... which I was pointing out as there is 3 progression paths is most unlikely as whichever you follow will almost certainly end in the max tier of equipment.

I'm not saying it'll be easy to obtain, but non-raid epics (or whatever they are going to call their ubergear) I'd probably bet money on existing ... but that doesn't reduce the exclusivity as only raiders will have raid gear (and I'd presume it'd be visually identifiable) ... much in the same way I'm sure the PvPers will be proud of their epic armour that a lot of raiders couldn't get ...
    Darkace likes this.
  14. Avenged

My comment is only a repeat of what devs have said, which is that the difficulty of the content you are doing determines the level of the reward needed. They told us their order for difficulty. Assuming the gear is better is an assumption, but it is an assumption based on what they have said. That quote you linked from J-tal actually never says that the gear you get from soloing will be better for soloing then any other gear. It just says that it will be more effective for soloing then it will be for raids as it will be lacking raid stats.
  15. NabeShogun

NabeShogun Cupcake

True the issue of reward is open to interpretation ... money, xp, elder coins, gear chance ... (so 15% chance of a drop is more reward than 7% chance) ...

I mean I have no argument whatsoever that to raid we're going to have to do heroics->20man->40man ... but I still don't think as there's 3 progression paths you're only going to be getting epics as raid drops. (nor do I care sa long as a solo/pvp player isn't able to skip a lot of the raid progression because they've done something else)

Oh and "It just says that it will be more effective for soloing then it will be for raids as it will be lacking raid stats". It does say this but then the line "This allows us to tune the solo gear to be more effective for soloing while lacking key stats necessary to raid." Becomes redundant unless he is implying that solo gear is more effective for soloing [than raiding gear] ... obviously in a big post about how strikethrough and things are necessary in raids (making it seem like they aren't that needed in solo stuff) then saying that solo gear will focus on base stats and not these to me implies strongly that solo gear is better for soloing than raid gear. I'm not saying you won't be able to do all solo content in raid gear (I think you probably will be able to, whereas the reverse - raid in solo gear I'm fairly certain won't be possible), but I don't think it'll mix/max out quite as well when fights may not last long enough to require the resource regen, bosses won't be criting as much, nor will strikethrough be as needed ...

(Oh and when trying to find some more post on it [because i swear I've seen some] it seems J-Tal looked at this thread 30 mins ago, so I guess we shan't be getting any more info to mull over ... but I'm fine with it ...)

Oh and I noticed a bit of a general thing about content availability come up ... as far as I'm concerned everyone should (and will) have access to the same content ... it's in no way gated ... anyone can try and find 39 people and go raid ... whether you can find those people and whether you can complete a heroic dungeon/raid will depend on your skill level and if you play well with others (from both a teamwork and social graces side of thing) ... but everyone gets a shot at everything, just because it's out of some people's grasp I don't think is a bad thing ... people should aspire to clear content, not it be nerfed so that anyone of any skill level can do it ... but this is way off topic and came up in a million threads on here, but just to throw my 2 cents into that thing that started arising in this thread.
  16. Yule

Yule Cupcake

I agree that epics has lost its meaning, however i think that no matter what progression path you focus on you should be able to get epics, as long as you put in the work. Solo content should reward epics aswell, but the content that rewards epics should be challenging. And im not talking about a long chain of easy quest where you get rewarded for putting in the time, but where the players skills actually get challenged.
    shockdamost likes this.
  17. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

Challenging solo or small group content would be nice to see, devs tend to skimp on that. Even if you're a raider, it could be a nice side experience.
  18. Sarpadon

Sarpadon New Cupcake

Very true. In my brief encounter with MOP I really enjoyed some of the higher difficulty solo bosses when doing the Golden Lotus dailies. They weren't overly hard but they did have different mechanics that I did have to learn (and sometimes die a few times to figure out). I am sure that Carbine will be doing stuff similar but on a much higher level of difficulty considering their combat system allows them to make such solo encounters far more interesting.
  19. Avenged

So if w
    Unlike most people that just gave wtf type answers I will tell you something that I predict to be true. So this does not invalidate anything that you have said up until this point, but when I say it I want you to know that I view it in light of what you have been saying specifically. Whether redundant or not, pve gear is inherently geared to do one thing, and that is to kill mobs. Now the difference between raid gear and solo gear is that raid gear has more stats, these stats are specifically tuned for raid bosses. The only issue I have with the situation is that in general the statistics needed to clear raid bosses, are generally greatly higher then what is required for solo content even outside of secondary stats. When they say they are going to reward us based on difficulty, and when they say the hardest difficulty is 40 man raids I will always assume that it means that 40 man raids will get the best pve rewards. PVE, meaning raid, group and solo content. Now I am not trying to say that they will not focus on solo gear at all. But from what devs have said, solo content can never be as hard as grouped content meaning that there will always be a disparage in gear for it. Given that, they have also always said that raiding is not the end all be all of the game I expect them to give great rewards as well, but I have a hard time believing given their dev speaks that they will reward people with equivalent tiers for solo progression.

Btw for the other people that have commented in here as well. I really hope that they make nothing outside of raids epic, but that in of itself is really a subjective topic, not because of my beliefs but because what you want to make of epics is up to you. In early day raids for wow, epics were extremely uncommon, and were almost never seen outside of raids unless you got a .001% drop. Their comments on reward versus difficulty tells me that, this is still the case.
  20. Brisselio

Brisselio New Cupcake

It does make me pretty excited that 40 mans will give out different gear than 20 mans hopefully. Instead of just having more people being your reward it will be better gear.