1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Anyone hope Epic gear will be uncommon.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Brisselio, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Zephiris

Zephiris New Cupcake

A little clarification actually on "impossible".

With impossible, think of it like mission impossible :p
    Its possible, but just very unlikely that you could clear that content, you would need ofcourse perfect positioning, teamplay and RNG luck etc and then maaaayb you might get that 'impossible' world first.

Making a boss for example with enrage timer but make it physically impossible to clear. That is not fun or challenging because its pointless.

But, just imagine that they put in a boss for example that with you need that last 100k dmg and lets say that is like 20 seconds worth of damage.

Wouldn't you want to keep trying with your raid to see if you are able to squeeze that 100k dmg extra from the beginning of the fight. Maybe counting a bit that your raid gets the crit RNG on your side for example.
    I think those fights would be very thrilling for those top players to keep them busy until new content is out.

In anyway, I DO think its better to still have something to clear. Then just having a dungeon on farm status. Pretty sure im not the only raider here who simply after years on end, is just bored of farming the dungeons over and over again until its your turn to have the complete set, while the challenge from the dungeon itself is long overdue.
  2. Merganser

Merganser New Cupcake

They don't have to be capable of clearing all the content in the game. It should just be technically possible.
    The guild might not have the skills or gear do it, but they should have the option of getting better and gearing up to be able to clear it, rather than have an arbitrary mechanic making it impossible.
    Of course, when the very top guilds manage something, it generally becomes much easier for others since a large part of the content's mechanics has been mapped, and strategies evolved to defeat them.

Speaking of Black Temple, I wonder whether Carbine are going to introduce "catch-up" mechanics that allow easy access to gear similar to that of a few 'tiers' below that of the current content, like Blizzard did with the Isle of QD and justice points etc.

The issue there is that it takes much longer to create the content than it does to clear it. Without some sort of gating mechanism slowing them down, guilds are likely to be farming the content for a while before the devs can make new stuff for them to run.

- Not even counting the gearing issues that will result:
    If gear is too much of an increase each tier it leads to rampant inflation.
    If gear isn't that much better than the previous tier, guilds won't need to spend time farming to gear up and will clear that content even faster.

It sounds like Wildstar will have a built-in variation in its content though, that will lead to farming being rather more challenging and fun than it might otherwise be however.
  3. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

I hope it's uncommon. If everyone has it, it's not very epic. I've never been a gamer to be envious of someone with better gear. In vanilla WoW when I saw someone in tier gear I was impressed, not jealous. That sense of accomplishment is pretty much gone now.

But just in simple terms...why do you need epic gear? Just to say 'look, i have purplez!' It should have some deeper meaning than that. It should require a substantial time and skill investment in the game. Everyone shouldn't be decked in epics. But I'm a realist, and I know the genre has changed. The general playerbase has become a bunch of whiny, entitled little brats who need all the best shinies with the minimal amount of effort. And that's the way it's going to be.
  4. DennisZadeh

DennisZadeh New Cupcake

Tell me about it! Damn miss those days everyone gathered around me, asked me for help advice because i had half tier 2 / tier 1 gear with my legendery staff Benediciton! That was some kind of achivement, not hey here is burning crusade your weapon is now worthless and all your gear, what? Oh yeah you heard correctly here is a simple quest kill 15 guys get an epic thats better than your tier 2 gear!
  5. Channon

Channon New Cupcake

One could argue that it's similar to going to a gym. You pay for use of all the equipment, but it's your choice what to use. What you get out of it depends on what you put in. You aren't going to get big arms by doing sit ups.

Btw, Hi I'm new. ;)
  6. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

As I had posted. I do not agree with it, but it would be ridiculous to say that there is no logic behind it.
  7. Ikai

Ikai New Cupcake

So , you people are basicaly freaking out because of item color.
    A lot of you are mad because lots of people use "purple" gear, even tho their "purple" gear has way less stats than your "purple" gear.

Why should i care about someone using an easy obtained "purple"? since my hard earned "purple" is 20-30% better?
    The power gap between "purples" is there in current games. Epics that requires less effort to get are way weaker than a hard earned epic.
    Tidezen likes this.
  8. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

I miss the days when going to a major city wearing my purples meant something.

When I was a new player seeing those guys (all decked out) gave me a goal to strive for. I knew I wanted the gear and was willing to learn so I could get it.

It gave more meaning to reaching those goals when I finally did. I liked being asked "where did you get that?" or "that's a really cool weapon".

No... Not mad or freaking out.

Your right. There are huge differences in power between (as an example) a lfr and heroic purple. Most folks would agree with you that the color of an item isn't important as well. I think it goes back to a community thing more than anything else. Maybe it's a bygone era in mmo's and something that folks should get past. I know I have. It was a cool feeling though and it's something I miss.
  9. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

Word.
  10. coreymj78

I thought that's what Adventures were supposed to be?
  11. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Adventures scale from 1-5 players I think. So yes? At least they are a part of the solo experience.
  12. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with all the folks here.

I started playing WoW in Wrath and the most epic feeling about getting a purple was during levelling. Once I hit level cap, I completely stopped caring about epics. I'm decked out in purple gear for doing dungeons that were easier than the ones I ran during levelling up? Yay...

I'd like to be excited about getting really good gear and differentiation between colors is a rather good way to show players the difference between item levels.
  13. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

There's a bit stretch between "supposed to" and "are". Same goes for crafting. Crafting may be intended to be useful. But is it? Who knows. I also do not recall if Adventures are there at endgame.
  14. coreymj78

I agree. While I still play Wow, and while it's still fun in it's own way, you really don't get to challenging group content until you get to some of the higher teir raids.
  15. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

Are you implying that Halls of Reflection was easier than any Burning Crusade dungeon? :confused: I might concede Trial of the Crusader was, but come on...

dungeon difficulty aside, can you imagine if Blizzard made heroic/mythic or ___forged gear Red colored to indicate a quality beyond epic? I don't see the fuss people made over being "epiced out" in vanilla, when you were probably gimping yourself by not having an optimum "of the monkey" piece in some slots. People were so bad in general in that era it hurts to look back.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  16. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

I'm a Wrath baby, so I have only my levelling experience to compare with the level cap. ;)

I was more pleased with Cataclysm dungeons which felt better, since I felt the risk/reward ratio was more balanced.

Also, I don't see why blues should only be reserved for levelling. Why not allow characters at level cap first to earn blue gear and allow epic gear to be rewarded through raids/gold dungeon runs and so on?
  17. Tidezen

Tidezen Cupcake

That's how it was in vanilla. Blue gear was still kinda rareish. My guild had people going into Molten Core with greens on. XD

But like has been said, the color of an item is just a psychological trick. It's a trick to get your brain into thinking, "Ooooh, this is special loot. My preciouuusss." Don't let your brain fall into such easy traps of faulty logic. We can be smarter than that.

I actually like that epic-looking gear is more commonplace nowadays. Because it separates out the players who want challenging content for the actual challenge of it, versus the ones who are loot whores and preening peacocks, who are really only in the raiding scene for their personal vanity. We all have a part of that ourselves, but it's the immature, selfish part. The idea that you can only be "special" as long as no one else can achieve what you have. That's not a part of ourselves we should be encouraging imo.
  18. ImpactHound

I think people are hung up on loot color when classic wow gear looked like <REDACTED> overall and anything that looked good as a thematic set AND was functional only came from raids.
  19. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Unless you were a Warlock. :)
  20. ImpactHound