1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Archer(bow/arrow class)

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Diableblanc, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

Damn I just noticed this game won't have one. And that's really sad I love me some Bows, favorite weapons in an rpg by far. But oh well... How many of you would like to see a class like this? plznodrama.
  2. Zoxx

Zoxx New Cupcake

Would you bring a bow to a laser-gun fight?

I wouldn't :p
    Noxx, Methios and Simokon like this.
  3. Clickbeast

Clickbeast Cupcake

What if the bow shoots lasers? Mmm? Where is your god now?
    Noxx, Xaverian, Catdurid and 6 others like this.
  4. Squids

Squids New Cupcake

In his defense....

Would you bring a tech sword or claws to a laser gun fight? Because I can think of two clases that would.

I also love ranger classes lol, just wanted to point that out.

If done right a ranger type class could work in this game.
  5. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

You can probably waste some bow yielding indigenous folks. Could have a rifle minion class with bots as engineer or something like that.
  6. Zoxx

Zoxx New Cupcake

Fair enough. The more I think about it the more I can see it.

Given that Wildstar is a Sci-Fantasy MMO it's plausible. Like a tech-bow with explosive arrows and other gadgets. It would fit the Wildstar universe and could be a lot of fun.
  7. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

This, GW2 has rifle and bows. So stop yer ignorance people it's a game, it doesn't have to be so real-like textual.
  8. LJJ1991

LJJ1991 New Cupcake

I'd be interested in seeing a Bow-wielding class. Tech bows are super cool.
  9. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

I suppose Bows would fit in with the Fantasy-ish theme...
  10. Cowboy

Cowboy Cupcake-About-Town

11. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

*cough cough* That's a crossbow. *cough cough.
  12. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

Crysis 3 had bows, clearly its the next evolution of military technology.
    Diableblanc likes this.
  13. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Nope, that's a Bowcaster that fires balls of plasma.

Laser guns > Guns > Bows. It's the simple truth, bows just get added for flavor but it would make little sense to have an entire class around one.

Though it has been pointed out, we currently have two melee classes which don't really exist in a post rifle age.
  14. Eluldor

The major thing is that a bow requires more skill to operate effectively versus a gun. You can retrieve your ammunition with a bow, can do arching shots (shoot over walls), and use arrows in a melee circumstance. Most games incorporate their use the same as a gun, where all you do is pull a trigger with tons of ammo (not talking about a sniper rifle where you make adjustments for the wind/distance). You click 1, and you shoot an arrow (instead of pulling an arrow and drawing the bow). You click 1, and you shoot your gun.

If they're going to be used the same as a gun, I say let's not have them. If you are going to have the operating mechanic different, I'm all for it.
  15. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

I don't think there's a single rpg among the lines of GW2 and similars (I only know vast obscure examples so rather not having to list them all) That uses bows as intrincate as you've deemed them to be.

Thanks for making a already said and answered point, and then throwing it away all by yourself (herpderp). But yeah I guess a new kind of mechanic would be could but honestly the only thing on video games that change between rifle/gun/bow is attack speed and maybe to reload. (And of course abilities used with each one).
  16. Eluldor

Did you really just double quote me, and respond twice with a "herpderp" thrown in there (while trying to insult me). Interesting :roflamo: I know some people in real life who prefer bows to guns in games, but they actually use bows in real life. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/380732 Have fun reading about bow mechanics and how others see them in game usage!

For "obscure" games try Skyrim and Mount and Blade :p I'm also not entirely clear on what you're saying in your response.
  17. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Erm GW2 and GW1 both had their own bow methods, long bows had longer travel time but higher elevation, shortbows had low elevation but faster projectile speed and due to the nature of GW2 wep/skill combat the two play extremely differently.

But you're looking single player if you want an in depth experience, recent FPS's/RPGs, I mean at least the arrows come back down? Right??? If you want an archery simulator to even get anywhere near realism.

As the above poster has mentioned, you can't get that level of intricacy in a 3rd person MMO, especially not one where the combat is all done with these telegraphs. Bows are a much harder tool to use than rifles/guns - they are also outperformed in project speed, target acquisition, accuracy, reload time and range. So to all that I see no reason why bows would be ingame.

At the risk of repeating myself though, there's swords and claws and potentially a staff wielding healer. So ruling out bows would be a little closed minded though. I'd truly prefer a big gun class over a bow wielder though, it is meant to be Sci-Fi after all :p
  18. Eluldor

Ya, I'm pretty much with you on how they shouldn't be in game. However, I'm not reading the OP's response to me very clearly, more of garbled insult. I was trying to differentiate a bow from a gun, and without the uniqueness I mentioned, there's really no point in having them, since they're outperformed by guns as you explain.
  19. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

And once again, as I keep telling you. This is a freaking video game, you can't bring real life situacions, fact is, there are claws, and swords, so bows have a place in as well and you haven't actually given any comment to discredit this fact. I love how Ico once again, said the same thing (with more words) and destroyed the same thing he said himself with just the last sentence, it's kinda funny. And the "differentiate a bow from a gun" argument isn't valid, there isn't a single game that makes that difference at least not a AAA tittle rpg. They are both just left click to shot. Even freaking Call of duty has bows, jeez.

The uniqueness, is "they are cool" what's the need of anything more? it's a game, having it in the game doesn't take anything else out.
  20. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

I know it's not the same, but I'm pretty sure that one of the unannounced classes will be a rifle class.

But yes I enjoy bow-wielding characters and would have considered playing one in WildStar. I don't think it's so extremely out of place. They could give it a techy flavor.
    Diableblanc likes this.