1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Archer(bow/arrow class)

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Diableblanc, Apr 15, 2013.

1. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Pssh, filthy casual!(I jest) Everyone knows that you don't bring a bow to a laser-gun fight.

YOU BRING A LASER BOW! pewpew
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  2. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

I'd like to add to this post... WildStar is a space western. Know what else had space western elements? Star Wars, which this guy comes from. Put two and two together and it turns out you need to be a wookie, or the big hairy equivalent thereof, if you wanna use bows. Downgrade it a bit to rocks and sticks and you turn into an Ewok.
  3. Chaii

Chaii Cupcake

IMO a archer doesn't fit the concept of wildstar. The one character with guns and the other with a bow? Come on...
  4. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

People would refute that with the tons of other MMOs that do it, most recent i memory would be GW2. But really, WildStar is a space western, the only way a bow would fit is if it was wielded by a Captain Stereotype Native American-esque race.
  5. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Everyone keeps mentioning a Tech Bow and it takes me back to Turok on the N64 with his Tek Bow....good times.
  6. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Okay OP, since the game is a sci-fi fantasy with western elements, they could easily have a more tribal race with bow use. I could see a Draken using a bow. If classes had melee and range attacks, like gw2, I could see the stalker using a bow. A Mechari stalker would probably use a pistol though. With the use of magic, one could have a magic / bow hybrid class too - sorta like an Arcane Archer ala D&D. I wouldn't be surprised if you encounter these as NPC/enemies.

Now, I already provided a link to bow mechanic talk, and what others like in mmorpgs. I also provided two games with good bow mechanics. I understand that you don't care for people expressing their opinion and you reply defensively as if I'm somehow harming you. However, this is a thread on the topic, and if I would like to state my opinion on what I feel like makes a good archer class, which obviously is opposed to you, I will do that. At the very least, I could expect you not to respond in a garbled insult.

Finally and most importantly, we're playing the settlers / conquerors of the planet. Yes, both factions are here to take the planet over, and kill plenty of indigenous life in the process. In nearly, if not all, situations where this occurred, they used guns against the indigenous people's bows. The indigenous people then would trade for guns, to have that use/advantage. Suppliers make and supply guns, because guns are the demanded product. Melee weapons have always been used, and a heavy armor yielding a tech sword or nanotechnology infused stalker with claws isn't the same as just a sword and claws. (I really like bows, but I can argue against them all day)
  7. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

A couple valid reasons NOT TO include bows in my opinion:
    • When you include a speedy ranged class(Spellslingers) its usually a good idea to have a nuker ranged class (Rifle class). Similar to how you always see a Warrior/Rogue. So a Bow or Rifle class could work! But they chose Rifle for reasons explained later.
    • W* appears to be wanting to stay away from all traditional weapons. Tech-Claws, Tech-Sword, Glaives, Dual Spell-Pistols are all semi or completely nontraditional.
    • W* is ultimately a Sci-fi Western with hints of fantasy. So of course a gun would take precedence over a bow during the design phase (Which is why i think they chose a rifle not a bow), even though a tech-bow would be completely viable.
    • The bow probably didn't fit well with any of the final classes they chose to try out, I think this was the ultimate factor. Class comes before weapon choice, or they can come together. But adding a Bow to a class that wasn't designed for it is a bad idea.
    A couple valid reason TO include bows in my opinion:
    • Bows are bad ass, even crossbows are cool. So much so that they gave the coolest person in 'The Walking Dead' one (Deryl).
    • Skill animations or skill kits an get pretty creative with bows, Because the projectiles aren't forced in a linear path its a lot easier to come up with a cool skill kit (Arrow Rain for example).
    • Bows are flashy and designs for them could get really creative without sacrificing functionality completely. Im almost positive either all of the endgame rifles are gonna be ridiculously large, or the details gonna be faded by the small size.
    Now these are just my opinions, ultimately because they had the option of either a bow or rifle to fill that ranged nuker slot, they probably picked rifle because it fit the theme without too much adjustment and it probably fit one of the class models they hadnt thrown out yet.
  8. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

The only thing I'd say to counter is that rifles can look as cool as bows, Rift had a gorgeous quest reward rifle for killing Lord Greenscale, the whole thing looked like it was made of bone then it had a sole muzzle with two prongs coming underneath it like a jaw. Wow has also had some cooler rifles, especially the ones from Ulduar. So take into account W*'s (as you put it) graphics style and I think you can get some really cool rifles/lascannons.
  9. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

I agree, its completely possible to make a good looking, and functional looking rifle, I just think its easier on the design teams behalf when you use a bow. But I'm in favor of Rifles anyways.
  10. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Do keep the discussion civil and on-topic! No need for any attacks, perceived or otherwise. </Mod Monocle>
  11. Catdurid

Catdurid Cupcake

Bows would be cool. Thing is you can attach crazy stuff to an arrow that you can't do with a gun.

So maybe you fire an arrow that does no damage, but instead releases nano bots that eat away an enemies clothes leaving them completely naked. Well maybe a laser could vaporize someone clothes.

Apply a special poison to an arrow?
  12. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]

I personally would see no problem with bows. Exibit A: Look at Chewbacca. What's that in his hand? That's right. A crossbow. If they're good enough for chewbacca, they're good enough for wildstar IMO...

On a serious note though, I would think that bows would offer a bit of creativity in an MMO. It's not too much of a stretch to think that they could enhance a bow with tech. Some might say "well we have lazer guns which are far superior" but don't forget that wildstar also has things like tech enhanced swords, axes, staffs, and fist weapons. Yet you don't see anyone complaining about that fact... My point being, having a bow in a sci-fi game isn't out of the question, and isn't strange when you have things like technologically enhanced melee weapons.

Besides, who is to say that you couldn't attach explosives, magic spells, poisons, curses, or any other sort of things to the arrows that the bow fires?

So yea... bows would be cool.
    ruff_ethereal and Fate Flyer like this.
  13. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Nerdy enough to google for pictures of Wookies going to war, but not enough to know it's a Bowcaster and not a crossbow :p.

That's the second time I've posted that in this very same thread ¬.¬
  14. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

im convinced there will be a rifle class, doubt we will see bows in this game. not that I have a problem with bows ... but im just not seeing it in this game. that being said I would bet there would be a ranger/archer like playstyle in the game, probably at release.
    Malorak likes this.
  15. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

Star wars is admittedly not my forte :p . My point is however, still valid. Lol... Also, I did not google "wookies going to war" I googled "chewbacca riding a squirrel shooting nazis" very different. :D
  16. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

• Please try to avoid flaming or personal attacks.
    Ugh, first of all wow thread had a bit more response that I'd expected. Second on the first page when I "double quoted you" the second part I actually quoted Ico it just showed you for some reason. So it wasn't meant to you and it wasn't an insult. The reason you may think that is that you're kind of making me lose my time example.
    ^ is part of your argument eluldor.
    Would you bring a claw to a laserr gun fight?
    And the other part, you keep refering me to other games for some reason, you linked me to a thread for age of camelot and it makes no sense, I'm not going to argue the mechanics of bows, I'm asking why should they not be in the game in the first place. And a lot of people say they should, and others say they shouldn't. To be honest all the reasons about why they shouldn't be in have workarounds at least the ones pointed in here. And it's fine if they aren't I mean spellsingers double pistols are just cool enough for me, but just, wondering why would carbine not put them in the game. Maybe they are I don't know... And what I mean that usually on RPG's like this, the only difference between, Bow/rifle, is basically skills you can use with each one, attack speed, and damage, it's still left click to shoot on both (or pressing skills 1 to 5).
    Eluldor likes this.
  17. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Fair enough, that made me confused. Some games also have it so the closer you are with your bow, the less damage like LB in GW2. Why not have a: take an arrow and stab them in the eye for up close ;) I like bows too. I use to always play the ranger/pet class first in games.
    Diableblanc likes this.
  18. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

I don't know that this thread was created to argue about how bows fit in a sci-fi theme.

Cheers to the Wookie contribution

For me, I've played a handful of bow classes and have enjoyed my experience. With that said, if one of the unknown classes is a rifle class, I can't honestly say that I'll be disappointed or that something is missing just because I don't have access to bows.

Was it the bow? or was it that I have enjoyed non-magic ranged classes. My guess is that I'll have a blast playing Wildstar no matter if it's a rifle, bow, automatic ninja-star launcher, or a nerf water gun.....Ok maybe that's a bit extreme.

Personally, I've tried to put my personal preferences aside (multiple weapon types per class) because I have great confidence in Carbine's vision, even based off the small portion that has been revealed. I'm willing to let things like this go because it's not about making Wildstar more like the other games I've played, it's about different & an improvement over the games that have come before.
  19. Loken

Loken New Cupcake

I would not like to see them in the game, it is refreshing to see some newer types of classes not the same old rehashed classes over and over. Yes I know they have swords but for the most part we have some different classes and would like to see something along the lines of a Trooper from SWTOR as the last class.
  20. FullMetalPizza

FullMetalPizza New Cupcake

I would love to see an archer class with explosive laser bows and things like that (but without a pet please every mmo ever with a bow class always has a stupid pet, I hate pets) but unfortunately I think wildstar will not have one, first there is already a non-magic ranged class, the spellslinger and second, every revealed class has a second role, it's always dps + heal or dps + tank, and I don't really see how you can tank or heal with a bow.