1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are Path Abilities Good for Wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Tubesssbm, May 26, 2013.

1. Tubesssbm

Tubesssbm New Cupcake

The Wildstar devs have stated that the goal of Paths is to allow the player to choose what they want to do within the game world, and be able to do more of it. However, I speculate that because of path abilities, players will have more to think about when choosing paths than what sounds "most fun". Sure explorer sounds cool and all, but why should I go explorer when the path abilities from Scientist give you additional crit chance and a pretty nice looking dot on a 2 minute cooldown? Path abilities are going to take up entire slots on your limited action bar and players are going to have to make sure the path they choose will give them abilities they want.

Basically, because of the way path abilities are designed right now, Paths have essentially become subclasses, and I do not believe this is a very good thing for Wildstar.
  2. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

A couple things wrong with this assumption, the path abilities have VERY limited use in combat. And as for the use of a LAS slot, there are path skill specific slots that are only used for path skills, that may change as Carbine see's fit, but as of right now they are essentially just combat irrelevant.
  3. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Paths are a unique development by Carbine and with limited information released by them and from beta, there's not much we can discern about the effects of path abilities in the game. It's one of those wait-and-see things we have to put up with.
  4. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I find it hilarious that of all the abilities you chose to prove your point you picked one of the group wide buffs rather then one of the individual dps bonus abilities, like say every single soldier ability.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

This was a broadcasting by WTFPWN'T Incorporated.
  6. Tubesssbm

Tubesssbm New Cupcake

All the major path abilities seem to be group buffs.
  7. Inv1cted

Rereading what I wrote that came off more dickish then I intended. But my point stands every single soldier ability yet revealed seems to be an individual buff (DPS or otherwise) to them.
  8. Tubesssbm

Tubesssbm New Cupcake

Well regardless of what the abilities actually are, my point in making this thread is that the path abilities are significant enough that they become an actual factor when deciding on a path. Paths shouldn't be about character builds, so I hope that either players complain until this is fixed or the devs come to their senses and just remove the path abilities completely.
  9. Inv1cted

When it comes down to it there either has to be a system in place to limit path abilities in raid situations or make all of the direct combat ones group wide because other was min/maxers will pick a path based on on theoretical DPS/HPS increases (which would be a shame).
    I agree with you by the way it is an issue I was never questioning the point of the thread.
  10. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

Anything cool or unique that's announced in a game has the potential to be unbalancing. I don't think Paths are any different. What separates games that work from games that don't from games that eliminate anything unique in the name of balance is being willing to balance those abilities appropriately.

I think we'll end up seeing the Paths (including the Soldier's individual buffs) so that all of them are viable with all of the classes in raids and PvP. I could see a group occasionally saying, "Oops, we don't have a single Scientist in our raid, and we'd really like that group buff. Let's make sure our last DPS slot goes to someone with that Path." In groups of 20 or 40 players, I don't see that as being too constraining, though.
  11. SilentJ

SilentJ Cupcake

I can't really say this with 100% certainty, but I can kindof see it going in a similar route to GW2 and racial skills, in almost all situations your class skills will be better, but if you're just messing around you'll have the options for some cool flavor stuff. Given that action bars have limited slots it's not like this is just straightup bonus cooldowns or anything, but competing with your core class stuff.
  12. AgenecyWR

AgenecyWR New Cupcake

Did you play the game yet? No, then we will have to wait and see.
    Right now the bonuses don't seem that great or game breaking, they seem fun and creative...might give you a tiny edge, as of how fast you travel, and some damage CD's, and or buffs
    SilentJ likes this.
  13. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I think it's fine. none of the stuff announced is going to break raids or pvp.

so im going to have to say definitely maybe. and no. but it's only going to be bad on the 4th Saturday every other year.
  14. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

I don't understand what's the issue is with having to make a decision about what we as an individual player prefers to have. In fact, I think it is a great thing there are varied characters and choices. Nothing is more boring than everyone being exactly the same because it is perceived as being, "the best".

The abilities associated with the paths are centered more around the path goals and activities. So I think for the most part, those abilities will be most used in your own path adventures. Outside of that scope the benefit they bring is in essence bringing your style of play along with you.

Choices aside, Carbine is going to efforts to ensure people can enjoy the path activities of any path by grouping up with other members. So if a player must have a set of path abilities, but wants to experience the activities of another path, they need only find a friend with that path.