1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are there any concerns regarding wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 12, 2013.

1. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Hey everyone,

We as community here at Central, are very excited about wildstar, our excitement is expressed quite often, either from the news we have heard, or simply through our expectations... A good friend of mine used to say that when you "love" something you should protect it, and the best way to do that is either by warn what would be bad to do, or simply by mentioning things that may worry you.

So fellow wildstar fans is there anything that concerns you regarding wildstar? Anything that you don't like from what is leaked so far (officially), or any rumors that you are concerned...

In my case from what we know so far what concerns me a bit is the implementation of
    Telegraphs, while i like it as a feature i am a bit worried of how this is going to be implemented, for example in a 40 men raid with many mobs around, how many telegraphs are going to be on the table isn't going to be a bit chaotic?
    Draogon and Wreck like this.
  2. qqmoarploxify

qqmoarploxify Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think you have to worry about a 40 man raid here, recently games haven't been going that large. Yet it still is a good thing to point out. If you have 10 or even 25 people all using telegraphs at the same time along side the encounter's mechanics, it will get a bit confusing. That being said, I'm sure the devs of Wildstar already thought about this and hopefully they have a solution.

My biggest concern is the endgame content. I hope it's not like SWTOR and WoW where you find yourself just waiting inside a town for a que to pop. I also hope that it's actually hard to complete the endgame content.
  3. thrastorm7

Regarding the 40 men raiding is confirmed :d
    Draogon likes this.
  4. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I'm mostly concerned about the holy trinity (tank/DPS/heal) and how they will depend on each other, how effective or needed a healer can be in a group. I am also concerned about progression in gear (most importantly) and in raid status. The only thing that ruined my GW2 experience is that I had max gear bought from the Auction House, and then i had nothing else to work for, maybe some aesthetic stuff but still, the stats buff from the next epic is a huge push for a player to keep him doing all he can to obtain that one epic.
    Randy Marsh and Aheadache like this.
  5. qqmoarploxify

qqmoarploxify Cupcake-About-Town

Oh my really? I must have missed that. To be honest that is wonderful news.
    Recruiter and Wreck like this.
  6. thrastorm7

Wreck, why are you concerned with the trinity? Can you please elaborate on that..
    Draogon likes this.
  7. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

In WoW they made sure healers are busy in big fights, like raids. We struggled to keep people at full health, and we struggled to keep our mana stabilized. That challenge was a whole lot of fun for me, like when a DPS sees an opportunity to cleave some mobs and gain a couple ten thousand DPS. I guess what I'm trying to emphasize here, is that how busy will healers be in fights? In Tera, I could heal everyone up to max HP with one spell or two sometimes, that's not fun. I'm focused on healers because that's my primary role.
    Aheadache likes this.
  8. Wayoverpowered

Wayoverpowered Cupcake-About-Town

I saw articles mentioning that and competitive raiding, too. I'm glad... 10 people is NOT a raid, it is barely more than a single group was in DAOC (8 people).
  9. thrastorm7

Aha... so you actually mean how challenging will be the content for healers...
    My guess is that since the content will be hard overall, healers won't be forgotten. Additionally i expect that there will be all those mechanics that make the fight interesting for every role... i guess there will be fights where the raid dmg will be severe, others that tank healing will require much coordination... fights that conserving mana will be essential etc....

In my book thats what challenging means
    Draogon likes this.
  10. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Yes, the healer teams in raids that were needed in Vanilla WoW was the most fun. The teamwork that was needed to get your mana back up in the middle of a fight and the organization that was needed to heal the raid was awesome. I want that back too!
    Aheadache and Wreck like this.
  11. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I've followed quite a few MMOs closely now, from development to release. And what I've found is that "rarely" do real concerns surface in the phase we're in now, because we're all giddy with excitement about the newness and the coolness!

For me, there are usually moments of epiphany after beta starts or further in... that's when the concerns about long-term viability crop up for me, because for whatever reason the topics didn't get broached sooner.

So, as an example... when I learned GW2 truly didn't have any guild PvE content of any sort. And when I relalized everyone could harvest every resource. Things like that.

For SW:TOR, it was when I started hitting invisible walls everywhere, and learned that the auction house was woefully incomplete.

So what will it be for WildStar? Well, I know every game won't be perfect but all of the words Carbine is using so far are exactly what I am looking to hear! Once we play it I am sure some things will surface, but am hoping they won't be detrimental to long-term enjoyment. I have faith in the team quite honestly!
    Calsic, Caballera, starspun and 2 others like this.
  12. thrastorm7

I kinda disagree, concerns me arise at any point, if it is late you can't do much, at this stage feedback is or should be much more valuable given that any changes can easily be made.
    Draogon likes this.
  13. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

Actually I'm a little concerned about 40 man raids. I feel it's a step back. Just like with LFG tools, I think people are just seeing vanilla WoW through rose-colored glasses, forgetting all the downsides and issues.

Requiring 40 people will only make end-game content less accessible, it will just make raids harder to organize and lead. Also, depending on how Wildstar handles loot drops, it could potentially cause more loot drama.

Larger raids are also significantly more forgiving as there is more room for mistakes, more opportunities to slack and are generally less challenging.
    Naunet, Mudfin, Ingsoc and 1 other person like this.
  14. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I think I'm most concerned about their promised Elder content for solo players.

Personally, I am a 40 man-raider. I can not WAIT for that content because I cut my teeth on WoW's Molten Core, Broodwing Lair and Ahn'qiraj. Naxxramus, well, we did try it out a bit, but then the news came down the pipe they were cutting raids down... and things fell apart. I haven't been a raider since then, actually, and am honestly mainly a solo - roleplay player now.

I'm looking forward to getting back into it with Wildstar, but I'm also reminded of a story back from my WoW days.

I was playing with this friend of mine and we had a spot in our early Molten Core run. I was so excited to bring him along, as he'd never seen it. He was running around with us and I believe one of the mages in the group was telling him how to get the max DPS out.

It was at that point he messaged me "Look I think I'm just gonna leave. This isn't fun for me, I'm a solo player, or maybe small groups." And with that, he left.

I think that was a big eye opener for me. It's not that a lot of gamers aren't good enough for 40 man raids, or they can't manage to find a group that will take them. A lot of players just prefer not to do it. It's not fun for them.

Ergo, we need content for them to come out. We need to have some way to get them the most awesome looking gear sets. We need story and lore to be provided to them, not locked behind a wall.

Wildstar is promising to release that stuff on a weekly or monthly basis, and that's great because even a raider like me would ADORE it. However... can they do it? Why haven't companies done it before? Do they have systems in place that allow them to churn out content like that quickly for us ravenous masses?

I worry, because it's a huge promise and it's never been done before. I have a lot of confidence in the devs, of course, but I want them to deliver on their promises REALLY bad because nothing is worse for a game's release if after a month players find out things aren't exactly true.
  15. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Thanks Recruiter good topic. I feel less concerned about the telegraph mechanics but more about the grouping mechanics.

Good question Wreck, I want to see how the roles will work together. I know they had the video on grouping and spoke of it but its still did not satisfy my question on how things work. I want to know how healing and tanking will work. How will it work in a 40 man raid?

I like to play both sides of the coin and when healing I love to keep a target and be able to heal others on the fly or AOE heal or what ever mechanic they provide me. And when I tank I want to be able to taunt and gain threat and build high threat. Will there be GUI tool to help with healing or tanking? Will there be like AOE tanking \ AOE threat?

I am diffidently looking forward to large raids again and I welcome the 40 man raid idea.
    Wreck likes this.
  16. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

concerns-
    - Not enough beta testing time
    - how world pvp or the warplot will be implemented . I am excited about it but worried at the same time since I love to pvp.
    -the classes - The number of them at launch, what are their roles.

Had a bit of a discussion about the role classes on twitter with Evion. She pointed out that she can see all the classes DPSing but not the warriors or Spellslingers healing. I can see the spellslinger healing after seeing the mercenary healers in SWTOR. Maybe the warriors can have a healing off-spec in one of their tank specs.
    They would only be abel to do moderate sustained DPS and can heal for small bursts those around them and also give a lot of regen buffs to the melee DPS nearby.
    Aheadache likes this.
  17. thrastorm7

40 men raids are far more challenging than smaller ones... you said that 40 men raids are less forgiving, thats false statement, it solely depends on the fight... let me remind you that in molten core every fight was easy as hell, up to ragnaros, where even if one person was dead the difficulty of encounter was increased.

On Bwl you point is valid....even if 4 ppl where dead every encounter was doable.

Aq40 and naxx iz where your statement is falsely... should i elaborate on that? 1 dead possible wipe.

Now regarding the hard leading and organizing, i had the privilege go be guild master and raid leader back then, i will agree that the leading was a bit more challenging given that you had to monitor 40 ppl and not 20 or 10... on the other hand, it was the point when officers were truly useful (class leaders as well)....

When it comes to organizing the raid, i can tell you that we had much more versatility regarding the line up.... and with the proper use of class leaders everything seemed to roll smoothly...

There is also one more thing mate, something that is not comparable with anything... and thats the epic feeling... the feeling you bring down a boss with 39 other ppl.... i just remember how it felt when from vanilla wow we went to tbh.... was sooooo hard to get used to it....

Lastly, now guilds can have true organization, making use of ppl etc....
    Draogon and Patrician like this.
  18. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

FYI this week's community uplink asks a very similar question. Might want to tweet, or post there to increase the chance that your concerns are heard.

http://www.wildstar-central.com/ind...uplink-new-info-excitement-and-concerns.1200/

Personally the raid question is one that concerns me as well. I'm all for 40-man raids, because I know a lot of people miss that epic feeling of raiding in a large group. I get that, and I hope you guys get what you want.

However, I also hope we see the same content tuned for 20-man raid groups as well. I don't think you should have to join a large raiding guild to see top tier content. Unfortunately, that's the way it was in Vanilla WoW. It's a social barrier, and one that I hope we don't see return.

I don't quite understand why we can't have peaceful co-existence. It feels like those who miss the "glory days" of Vanilla WoW raiding don't want to see "their" raids tuned for smaller groups. Maybe I am misinterpreting forum sentiment? It would be great if people who want certain feature sets could show more understanding for those who want something different.
    Zerdav likes this.
  19. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

Comparing different raid instances is utterly pointless. Neither of those original raids had the option to complete them with a larger/smaller group, their difficulty was based solely on the design of the encounters, not raid size.

I was referring to raids that have both an 8 and 16 (or 10 and 25 in WoW) man versions. For those, the larger versions are usually more forgiving.

As Ingsoc said, there definitely needs to be a 20(ish)-man option for the same content, with the same rewards.
    Mudfin, Zerdav and Ingsoc like this.
  20. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I have 2 concerns right now.

1. Combat AI: From the videos it looks like enemy AI is just stagnant, no movement making combat easy and boring. I hope it's just some coding.

2. Open World PvP: We already know we have instanced PvP, but nothing about how they are doing OWPVP. I really hope they don't drop the ball on this one.
    Caerth and ObliviousPrime like this.