1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are there any concerns regarding wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Yoda

Yoda New Cupcake

Consern is that only the top guilds will run 40 man raids and aLOT of people will not be able to raid.
    Cause its going to be difficult to find 40 people that wants to log and raid 4-5 or 3 nights aweek.
    But i hope its a success. It was awesome raiding back in vanilla/tbc.

I am still raiding today but 10 man now.
    There are way more 10 man guilds then 25 man in wow cause of the effort it takes to get people online and beeing active etc etc.

I seriosly cant wait for this game it looks awesome!
    Cant wait to get to raid 40 man again if i find a guild.
  2. Oziriz

Oziriz New Cupcake

It's amazing how hostile you are to a system you haven't even tried yet. Sure GW had it and it worked fine, Secret World had it and it worked fine, GW2 sorta had it bu not really. But how about we give Carbine a chance to prove themselves first... They are obviously open to change if it doesn't work, and adding more action buttons doesn't seem to hard. In fact I recall in an interview at some point where they had less abilities then they have now, but felt it was too little so they changed it.

Obviously you shouldn't only have healing and defensive abilities then. Or accept the fact that you or your mate failed because your tactic was clearly to keep your friend alive and overrun the other team.
  3. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Don't forget on top of the 8 class abilities, we also have 2-3 path abilities and a racial (which are counted separate), along with any class toggles like stealth for stalkers (which isn't counted towards the 8 class abilities) Along with sprint on the shift key, which normally be an activated ability on a toolbar in games like WoW.

And then we have passive abilities on top of that, which will be abilities on their own right, like granting stalkers buffs on crits or giving a warrior a small shield whenever they use an ability a certain number of times (those abilities are just made up off the top of my head but that's the type of passive abilities they're talking about)

Wildstar has much more than just 7-8 abilities, It's just they won't be cluttering up your screen.
    Rumze likes this.
  4. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

And a lot of people don’t. The beauty of the internet is you can pretty much always find someone that will agree with you. It’s irrelevant though; what matters is do the Devs agree with you. As of the last beta patch they don’t agree with you.
    It’s not so much that I am pro small LAS; it’s just that I’m not anti small LAS. I have played many other MMOs that have had a small LAS, and know that a small LAS does work, when the game is designed for it, and I’m willing to give the Devs the benefit of the doubt. Now maybe the beta testers will persuade the Devs that a bigger LAS "needs" to happen, but I highly doubt that it will reach the top end of you’re “want”.
  5. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

I agree. I've been playing Neverwinter, and it seems like the combat style is somewhat similar with a limited amount of buttons/abilities and the telegraph and dodge stuff.

It's not enough. Combat is more interesting because of the telegraph stuff, but overall it is kind of obnoxious for a MMO style game. There are times where I want to react a certain way, but I can't because that ability isn't slotted. I hate feeling like I'm extremely limited, but I am. Don't like it.

I guess that's cool for people that play 2-button "I win" classes, but coming from someone that always plays more complicated classes, I really don't like it. Going from a Watchman Sentinel(lol I need more buttons!) to 7 buttons is really boring, honestly. We'll see...
  6. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

That's all news to me, do you have a source so I could take a look?

EDIT: Got it now, thanks

The problem with Neverwinter abilities is there is only 4 you're able to reliably use. 2 of them are dailies. I agree that in that game it's totally limiting. Following from Vyver's point, I hope the game is the way he claimed it to be. It means we have a core base of abilities and the side ones (stealth, paths and potentially racials) are entirely different. I think this would provide plenty of option. Although overall I am optimistically cautious about the LAS system
  7. vondarkness

vondarkness Cupcake

Well, if only you took the time ro read some posts, you'd see i'm definitely not the only one.
    Oh , btw, they had in mind a bigger LAS, so it means I'm not the first one to think about it, devs did also in alpha, they may bring it back.
  8. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I didnt say you were; I made an And statement to your statement, which accepts your statement, and adds another varible to the formula. The other varible was the people that dont agree with you. And now I'm going to take the Twain recomendation.
  9. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So, the LAS includes class skills, path skills and milestone skills, at the M30 patch they brought the class skills from 8 to 7 and the milestone/path skills from 2 to 3. There were 10 skills on your action bar. The best analogy I can think of is that, think of Milestone/path skills like the elite skills in GW (original) (I haven't played GW2, so I can't speak on that). So, it's likely some sort of crazy buff, a significantly more powerful skill, or some sort of god-like mitigation.

But they're playing around with different overall settings for the LAS bar, I doubt it's going to be more than 15, but I also doubt it will be less than 10.
  10. Catdurid

Catdurid Cupcake

I'm concerned about combat animations. They look a little stiff. Hopefully its something they polish a little more, it kinda looks like 80%. They just need that little polish to make it 100% awesome.

Warrior main 3 attack chain looks bland and really repetitive. On both Granok and Mechari the character spins around to attack, it just looks bad.

Its hard to judge just from videos without actually playing, but that's how it looks so far.

Back in the day I thought Aion had the sickist combat animations just from videos, but when I finally got in game it wasn't all that great. lol.
  11. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

Biggest concern was probably loot, though that's been mollified by the recent discussion thread with Gortok and the clarification that brought to a lot of my concerns.

I'd have to say my biggest lingering concerns are, in order of severity: undisclosed payment model, effect of path choice on end game progression (don't think your choice of path should effect raid/pvp performance at all, hoping it's at least minimized), logistics of guilds organizing 40 man raids, and the total lack of crafting information (we had a community uplink on the topic a while back but never saw an uplink analysis and the reveal that usually accompanies one).

3/4 of those can be addressed by more info (unless they come out and say paths are going to have a huge impact on elder game roles or the game is going to be <payment model I really really hate>). The 40 man raid logisitics we'll have to just wait and see how the chips fall.
  12. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

I've been poring over a lot of WildStar content these past 2 weeks getting caught up. A lot of the demo panel content available has centered around questing, and questing combat is mostly ability-dodge-ability-dodge-repeat with little variation outside the occasional "pilot an animal" quest.

Since the leveling game is being designed to take 150 hours, that's... a lot of attacking and dodging. So much active dodging, it's worried that it'll be overkill. I was watching this footage with my stream a few days ago and other endgame raiders voiced a similar opinion- this game looks like it'll be about endless dodge rolls and avoiding red telegraphs until the end of time.

I've never really played an ARPG-MMO before (i.e. TERA, GW2), but I have been playing Neverwinter. While the combat system's fresh and active (relative to WoW, what I play otherwise) it's really repetitive in practice. Use ability. See telegraph from monster. Dodge roll. Repeat. No quests in NW call for item usage or different mechanics to complete the quest- just occasional environmental interactions. Demo footage is showing WildStar to be much of the same.

So after 150+ hours of leveling to cap, what kind of Elder Game combat stuff do we have to look forward to so this game isn't all dodge rolls and red circles? Anyone have videos/panels/dev comments to flesh out how they're going to mix things up?
  13. LeFrag

LeFrag Cupcake

why I dont like telegraphs. it makes the game too easy. Give us an option to turn it off or on! Some people dont want to look at it
  14. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I cant argue because I dont know about higher level stuff, but treat dodging as an active blocking mechanic or repositioning like in wow with runners or spell casters/los npcs.

They have said there will be path based stuff, bonus exp/loot for doing extra things ( like killing a certain number of enemies in a time limit after you attack one ) dynamic events you can start in the world etc

But yes the combat will rely on telegraphs. Really just treat dodge out of bad stuff as another spell in the rotation. Lining up your telegraphs to hit multilple enemies etc like lining up an aoe in wow.
  15. C1d0s

C1d0s Cupcake

It's way too early to be ragging on combat and telegraphs, especially since even those in closed beta are only allowed a cap of level twenty or something. I'd wait for the upcoming stress test or future betas with more content before I made an opinion on how complex or dull the combat can be.
  16. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

Fairly certain telegraphs will have toggle options, it seems something that'd be silly to force on people.

I'm more worried about burning people out on red circles and dodges, and how the combat will change toward endgame to elicit nuanced skill or different usage of evasions.
  17. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

You can only dodge so much I believe. Im not sure but i do remember sprint has a bar of energy that runs out.
    So assuming dodging follows that mechanic, you can only dodge so much and then have to wait , I guess kinda like gw2 does.
    Then add double jump to get out of the way of lasers etc that probably wont have telegraphs just one big moving line.
    I think telegraphs are more as a signal that something is coming rather than react to this , considering the movement video that highlighted double jump over a laser didnt show a telegraph attached to the laser.
  18. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

yea I think dodge and sprint share a gauge...also I bet at end game, just because telegraphs tell you somethings coming, doesn't mean it will be easy. I'd imagine the time to get out of a telegraph will start to become really short as you progress

p.s I know you weren't arguing against telegraph difficulty but I saw you and kur talkin lol so I figueredd i'd chime in
  19. WildStone

WildStone Cupcake

Actually dodge and sprint have separate 'gauges'.

[​IMG]

To the left of the HP meter (the green bar for those wondering :D ) you can spot them. The one for dodge is the little purple hexagon to the far left and the one for sprint is the little purple meter right next to the dodge hexagon.
  20. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

oh okay so if you sprint all of that gauge away it doesn't tap into the sprint gauge? that's gonna be interesting to manage ..I thought he said though if you dodge then the bar to the right will show you if you have "another one in the chamber" but I could have misinterpreted what he meant

ahh I see he was referring to the small hexagon when it loses the outer ring, just rewatched the totalbiscuit video.