1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are there any concerns regarding wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 12, 2013.

1. tyranade

tyranade Cupcake

I hope there will be other way's to get nicely geared up other than through raiding, i.e from professions, paths, exploring etc. Also, that this will be valuable to the guild so that all players, not only raiders will be important to the guild. I am a mum of five, and granny :) and got a very busy family life. I'd like to raid as well, but in my time, not through a rigorous raid schedule. That said, I think short raids , such as Onyxia from WoW, with hardmode options would be great, - just get a team together and jump in! I'd love that! :D

I really hope Wildstar will prove to be my new "virtual home" which I've lost since WoW :( I think the housing system looks very promising and I can't wait to move in! I've been gaming for about 30 years and this is by far the most excited I have been for a game pre- release!
  2. Yoda

Yoda New Cupcake

Yep agree, many things in vanilla wow was horrible gameplay tbh, the 40 min to 1 hour sitting and spamming for everything in city was just stupid. The quest system was horrible, quests far apart etc.
    Mages had to make food for everybody. warlocks had to grind before every raid to have enough.

THe endgame also, the bosses back then was not that hard compared to bosses like, Mimiron hardmode, Lich King heroic 25 man pre nerf, Ragnaros heroic 25 man pre nerf, and Lei shen heroic now.

Many things have changed for the better, but ofc many things have changed for the worse.

Even if im very nostalgic about Vanilla wow im more Nostalgic about the greatest expantion ever that is The Burning Crusade. Anyways Wildstar have to cather to todays gamers not Vanilla ones i think.

But 40 man raids is one of the greatest things from Vanilla. Naxxramas 40 man was brilliant.
    Twins in Aq40, Prinsess huhuran etc, Cthun.
  3. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

Must admit I do live my nostalgia and the memories of having to clear mobs just to get to LBRS and killing elite Dragonin to access Onyxias Lair :(

Getting attuned and not being to run a dungeon/raid is also something I think should be in Wildstar. Oh the days of UBRS and MC/BWL attunement :p

the whole hunting for members was was kept it interesting for me at the time and I guess I'd hate to see Wildstar ever fall into the trap of mediocrity and being simple as seen in WoW.

also having locks creating healthstones, mages making food etc made evryone feel as though their class mattered (even if it was minor :p ) Guess we'll see how things play out :D
    tyranade likes this.
  4. Torguish

Torguish Cupcake

Maybe mine is variety in weaponry, considering you can use 1 weapon per class, im afraid that will get boring, even tho you can change you playstyle but on the long hawl, how long will it be till it gets boring? I kinda wanna use axes, 1h sword which really show my style of play.. :p
  5. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

One concern I have right now is that warplots are going to reward the best PvP gear instead of arenas. It's almost impossible that warplots will best represent skill level, and when you add that with the fact it has PvE elements it just doesn't seem right. I hope that warplots are the most enjoyable PvP in the game, but I'm very worried that the only real incentive to do them will be the gear. This will be an annoyance to the skilled arena players, as it will be "necessary" to do warplots to maximize gear.

The most competitive PvP should reward the best PvP gear, and I'd be shocked if warplots turn out to be the most competitive. Blizzard practically forced people into rated battlegrounds in WoW over arenas for some time (maybe still?), and I don't want to see something similar to that happen in this game.
  6. Sephel

Sephel Not a Cupcake

1) PvP Defense and Offense stats.
    PvP was ruined in WoW when this was introduced, so please no! This will separate your playerbase. Even as a primarily-PvPer myself for all of vanilla WoW, I actually enjoyed the fact that PvP gear was marked by higher stamina and crit chance -- both attributes you can get from raiding gear. There is no reason someone who has PvEed for months shouldn't be able to jump into PvP and have less of a chance of succeeding than someone who has PvPed for only 2 weeks.

2) Cross-server group finder for dungeons, arenas, battlegrounds, & warplots.
    Sure you get slightly faster queue times, but this absolutely ruins the close sense of server community you would have otherwise. Anyone remember the days of always stumbling across that same rank 10 PvP set Rogue rival in Warsong Gultch? Gone.

3) Dungeon finders TPing you to the dungeon.
    Bad idea, please don't! It's not worth removing players from the physical world for the sake of convenience! Goodbye physically travelling through the world. Goodbye world PvP. Goodbye feelings of immersion. Might as well go ahead and add flying mounts anyway if you're going to be able to port everywhere. Edit -- This doesn't mean I'm again the dungeon finder tool. Please have one. Just don't TP players there!

Now don't get me wrong, I love so much about this game and am very happy with what I've seen so far. But does anyone else share these concerns? I just needed to share mine so perhaps someone could reassure me! Thanks
    Gempulse, Kezzo, Jaeren and 3 others like this.
  7. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

1) Being a High Warlord in vanilla WoW I certainly enjoyed the gear I had, not only was I OP in PVP but I was also OP in PVE too, all the way through Molten Core and most of BWL, as my PVP gear was better than anything you could get from PVE (HW fist weps ftw). So I have to be honest the perception that vanilla WoWdid things right in regards to PVE and PVP gear is a bit rose colored glasses, because really it wasnt that well balanced in reality. I had PVPed for months to get that gear then joined a PVE guild that had been raiding MC for those months and just jumped straight to the top of the DPS meters, and no one could touch me, was that fair? NO, did I enjoy it? hell yeah.

So morale of the story, I do think it is better to have pvp off and deff stats, its the fairest solution I think.

2) I dislike the idea also

3) I dislike the idea also

I don't think anything will change for any of these concerns, Wildstar is WoW in space afterall, and I say that as a good thing, because I've been waiting for a game that can hold me like WoW did.
  8. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

depends, was this a progression guild with players who knew what they were doing, or was this a casual raiding guild, with players who had bad specs and barely downed any bosses week to week.
    Anyone can play against derps and be at the top of the meters ya?

Edit - all that aside, I believe there is already a discussion on all this stuff for the Op.
  9. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed to hear about the teleporting/x-server features again. I know they've been confirmed for a while but hearing "just like wow" made my stomach turn.

I've hashed out why I hate the x-server/teleport thing a million times in other threads so I won't repeat it again, but man do I hope they reconsider it in some form. I know they're putting in a checkbox but unless you have the entire server pool doing it, it just isn't going to change anything. Wow also prioritizes people from your server when grouping, but we've all seen how that worked out.

Disabling it on a new server type (or maybe RP servers) would be a win/win solution imo.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

This! Who says you can't do both anyway? In WoW i had high end raiding gear, AND high arena gear!
    If i wanted to do something i just did it! Even with the different stats.

I think making PvE and PvP able to join the other content too easy (<--too easy!) is a bad idea!
    Because don't forget getting gear in PvP requires a totally different array of skills then in PvE. I don't think different skills should be rewarded around the same.

I can however see your point! But i just think different about it :D Luckely we can all have our own opinion :up:
  11. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Did u play vanilla WoW? the PVP gear was FAR FAR better than any gear you could get from raiding Molten Core, I joined the best guild on the server and did server first rag, so no they were not derps, the whole point of my post was to state the fact that my gear was just better than anything else you could get, so even the other skilled rogue's there in full tier 1 he had no hope to beat me on the dps meter.
    Thordran likes this.
  12. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I think the different stats is a good idea. As others have mentioned, just because you have good PVP gear, does not mean you should have the best PVE gear as well. And it happened the other way around. I remember the days when the raiders would come into PVP and just completely destroy everyone with their Ashkandi...

So yeah, we do need some kind of differentiator. Just because you are the best at PVP or PVE should not mean you are automatically the best at the other (due to gear at least).

Points 2 and 3... Not too happy abount... Let's just hope that Carbine gives good implementations of the tools, and they are not really "just like wow"...
  13. Sebyos Vernett

Sebyos Vernett New Cupcake

Interesting, but which interview is this based on ?

1) I hope they keep same gear for both and none gets an edge over the other.

2) Aye I hope there is no cross faction stuff.

3) And same for dungeon finder

2-3 for the same reason I want the world alive with people going from dungeon to battleground entrance not people sitting in cities.
  14. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

While there will be a cross-server group finder tool, it will also have a checkbox for finding groups from your server only, so there's that.

Might help, might not - only time will tell.
    Xlugon Pyro and Kataryna like this.
  15. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

I disagree.

Believe it or not, one of the main reasons why SWTOR (yes bringing out an example here) went down hill was because you were totally isolated in your little zone, finding groups was like finding a needle in a haystack which you also have to find somewhere in the galaxy, good luck. No, it made the game an abysmal MMO, but a decent single player coop game.

For those that want to group and interact with others on their servers thus creating a community, can do so via the path system, there is no reason to not implement dungeon tools for those that actually want to group in dungeons and not have to wait 2 or 3 hours for a group, after searching the whole galaxy and then some.

Believe me, there is a terrible frustration in waiting terribly long for a group to be formed, especially when you are playing one of the most sought out roles, imagine how it will feel like for say DPS, 3 hours would be nothing.

Nope, no, aaaand NO! Implement a dungeon finder tool, there are tons of other stuff going around that encourages players to interact with each others and socialize, did I forget to mention player housing, paths, pvp and those huge castles you can build and more?

TLDR; Dungeons tools, implement them!
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Yep Saw, I played then and you are right about the difference, I was just clarifying if you were up against other players on that level.

;)
  17. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

I can't speak for the OP, but I don't see anything in the post that is against dungeon tools in general. It's the implementation (namely x-server and porting elements) that's the issue.

Personally I think it would be foolish to launch a modern MMO without some sort of facilitated grouping tool, but that doesn't mean it needs to include x-realm/porting.
    Jarinolde and Milamilou like this.
  18. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

I don't know about the porting, getting to the dungeon is not a problem. But even if you do have a dungeon tool that only groups you up with people on your server, searching for a said group can still be a drag. Depending on your class, you could be waiting for quite some time, especially when the game gets older. But maybe that's the thing, implement it later if necessary and leave things as they are now. :cautious:
  19. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

This person speaks truth. A person geared in rank 14 gear was easily competitive with a tier one geared player. Epics tended to rule the day pretty hard back then. It was far easier to be a PvE hero after the tier 2 and 3 came out though. I remember running some pretty hard steamrolls in the battlegrounds using tier 2/3.

Beyond that, I tend to agree in principle with the OP on their points. It's a tough balancing act if you want the world to have meaningful interactions if you plan on adding too much ease of travel. Some convenience is fine, but people should be encouraged by the game to explore the game wherever possible. Cross server anything usually sucks. I'd prefer that everything stay on your own server to build community and keep people accountable to their reputation.
  20. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

I'm fine with them keeping it in their back pocket in case they have population problems later, but I think launching with it is a bad idea. A new, healthy MMO just shouldn't need it - and if they do, I see that as a symptom of a larger problem (ie they opened up too many servers). It seems like games (like wow with CRZ now) are using x-realm features as a bandaid so they don't have to merge servers, even if it would mean a better gameplay experience for the players.