1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are you a puppetmaster ?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Dragor, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

Since Carbine likes to know which gender the players like to choose, I begin to wonder how you are attached to your characters. Do you like to identify yourself with it, do you think of it as a virtual puppet, or do you even like to play as the gender you find attractive?

I like to think, that my character is just me in another universe, that I slay those monsters and that I get to see all those places. Maybe thats why I never was really into twinking.
    AlBQuirky likes this.
  2. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

If I have a multiple personality disorder, I have played them all by now as female.

I only play male, when I box someone elses toon ;-)
  3. Thee

Thee Cupcake

I usually play one character only. I do get attached to my character, but at the same time I am not a big-time roleplayer.
  4. thtgynmdfsh

thtgynmdfsh New Cupcake

I like to identify myself with maybe one of my characters, usually my main. Any other characters, if any, I like to be unique and individual from the rest.
  5. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

I will choose whatever race/gender resonates with me for that particular world setting.
    Nonsensicles likes this.
  6. souper

souper Founding Member

I don't feel like my character is ever me in another dimension but a little of me inevitably comes out in game. My characters are always male. They do good deeds and not bad ones. They are extremely handsome. Things like that.
  7. Robeardo

Robeardo Former Carbine Alumni

A happy world with vinyl figures and insane people
    I don't necessarily identify with the characters or see them as an extension of me, but I do talk to games while I play them, like I'm responding to what's going on as my character. People at work find it amusing.
  8. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I kinda get into my character but the character won't be me per se (since I'm not an evil mad scientist!). While I'll run alts in my "spare time", I am one of those players that has a main, which will be brought to every corner and run through every bit of content.
  9. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

I go purely on aesthetics. If the male models are done well, I'll play one. If not and the female models are more appealing, then I play that. I really have no rhyme or reasons from one game to the next but it has everything to do with animations and models.

One thing I dont do is "cute". So if I play a female, it needs to be a model that looks very adult and I usually go for dark skin. I'll make her as tall as possible and if Im able to make her facial appearance very "hardened" I do that. I usually go with the crazy hair styles, so dread locks, crazy braids or hair that just looks a mess is what I tend to pick. I also dont like the generic and ever popular robe. I dont play classes that are limited to an entire body encompassing robe.

When I play male characters, I usually lean toward the most brutal looking or "evil". For instance, in warhammer online I play a marauder, and a black orc. I really dont like the dark elves as theyre too feminine. In WoW I play an undead and and orc, and dislike the goblin because its too cutesy. Taurens are cool too, but I dont think looks as good in armor as an orc.

Some of my favorite human characters I play are big black guys with greyed dreads. Most MMO's dont really do a good job of a black persons model, they just let you darken the skin of what looks like a caucasion guy and really have limits on hair styles a black person would wear and it just ends up looking bizarre. Rift, Eve Online did a really good job in this respect. I would say Aion also but in Aion you can literally make any facial structure you can dream of so thats a given.

at any rate, none of the above represent myself in real life. Does it represent what I would like to be? Not really, but who I would like to see acting out a role in the game world I'm playing. Its always about the looks and who I feel would be the best protagonist in the game.
  10. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

My characters are just that, characters. They are fictional characters living in a fictional world and (to the greatest extent possible) conforming to the fictional reality that surrounds them. They aren't "me" any more than any fictional character can be representative of it's creator. I play both male and female characters, although I generally have a preference for female characters during long play sessions. Being a heterosexual male means the female characters always appeal to me visually far more than the male characters so if I'm staring into the screen for hours on end I prefer to be staring at a female character.
  11. Subparhiggins

Subparhiggins New Cupcake

I don't make characters that are 'me'. I don't do self-inserts.

I make characters of either sex, though generally I prefer male characters because it means I get less harassment from male players. I role play my characters, so they each have their own personalities, etc. I get attached to them for different reasons.
  12. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

I tend to feel that my character is a reflection of me in game. I have never been even slightly interested in role playing (story arc still interests me passively but I dont actively go out my way to interact with the game s another player or char) so to that end I always tend to try to make my character male and look as near to recognisibly being me sa is reasonable.
  13. Sivri

Sivri New Cupcake

I have a clear preference with female characters, I find it easier to be immersed into the game when playing the same gender as yourself. As for how far I go into the characters, that depends on if there's an active roleplay community around or not. The character will never be me, or an extension of me, or anything based on me, but it will be a character that I shape - typically with a background story and such, written within the boundaries of the games lore . Like a short-story sort of kinda thing. If there is no active roleplay community around, I wont bother with giving the character a personality and simply just enjoy the game for what it has pve-wise.
  14. AlBQuirky

AlBQuirky New Cupcake

I tend to identify with my characters. I play them as if I were in the game. I have differing moods which affect my play style, so I run alts. Sometimes I feel like just beating up everything in my path (fighter/warrior type). Other times I feel like being more cerebral (healer/mage type). Many times, I identify with animal and nature loving types. Most of the time, I feel like being a smattering of everything, but have not found any one class/path suited to that.

99% of my characters are male, as am I. I have run female toons but just do not identify with them. They don't last long in my roster of characters.
  15. Blue Skunk

Blue Skunk New Cupcake

I like to make stereotypically incorrect toons like a tiny tank or a hulking rogue.

I got ganked once by a pair of female gnome rogues with matching pink pigtails and almost fell of my chair, so if there is a comical element available I might choose it.

I don't really prefer either gender on game toons, however if I don't like the look of a character model then I am unlikely to choose it.

I have heard the statement "I play a female because I'm a male and I don't want to stare at a guys bum when I play" far too many times - but I think maybe I might be a little jealous of those that still feel this way that my playing has become quest, kill, loot, repeat to the point that I can't even think of what colour cloak my favourite character has.

I can't remember where I heard this first but it is worth adding to this thread.
    MMORPG - Mostly Men Online Role Playing Girls
  16. Elegant

Elegant New Cupcake

I stick to one character, I like to dedicate my time into one person having it be the best they can.. Usually at end game I find myself near the starting zone trying to help people. When I don't have crafting too do. (My favorite part of any game)

I typically pick female characters even though I am male myself, just because they are smaller.. I'm a big boy in real life so why not be small in a game which I wont ever be. :D